Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,970 members, 7,810,689 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. (36744 Views)

Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / My Japa Relocation To Moscow Russia / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 9:45pm On Mar 29, 2023
This thread is for Nairalanders who have traveled out(relocated) or travel out(foreign visits) either occasionally or frequently.

What are the things; livestyles, culture shocks, cusines, religion, norms, education, government, discoveries that you have noticed in your travels to foreign country/lands that took you by surprise, shocked you, disgusted you or impressed you about your place of visit(country)..?
(Tell us both positive& negative impressionyou had that made you either appreciate Nigeria or criticise Nigeria)

For me: my negative impression was the unnecessary fear for Nigerians.....this made me appreciate Nigerians for their welcoming attitude towards foreigners irrespective of nationality.

While my positive impression was the general contentment and ease with which life is approached.....this made me criticise our mindset of 'get everything by all means necessary " in Nigeria.

I have many other experiences but let me wait for others wink

Pls, add your experiences....

27 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:59pm On Mar 29, 2023
- Nigerians are some of the smartest and equally most evil person you could meet around the world...one minute you can meet someone who has built great businesses abroad (from scratch) and the next minute meet someone who will willingly defraud someone out of their life saving (to the point that they will commit suicide) in a heartbeat!
- Nigerians can LITERALLY be found in every country of the globe.
- many inexperienced people really do believe that the minute you go abroad, you will start making millions miraculously.
- so many people do believe there are more life/work opportunities in the US/UK/Canada for Nigerians, but i beg to differ....
- although some are ready to kill to leave Nigeria, some are equally ready to kill to go back to Nigeria on holiday pretending they have made it in the west
- people today still go back to the village in Nigeria to find a wife to bring to the west, thinking that this woman ISNT GONNA CHANGE INTO A WESTERN WOMAN (the minute she reaches the west), lol! if you want a village woman, then keep that woman in the village o.
- some people have bought houses etc in the west by cleaning dishes and toilets. not all these menial jobs are as bad as people thing...

130 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by EastAlchemist: 10:02pm On Mar 29, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
- Nigerians are some of the smartest and equally most evil person you could meet around the world...one minute you can meet someone who has built great businesses abroad (from scratch) and the next minute meet someone who will willingly defraud someone out of their life saving (to the point that they will commit suicide) in a heartbeat!
- many inexperienced people really do believe that the minute you go abroad, you will start making millions miraculously.
- so many people do believe there are more life/work opportunities in the US/UK/Canada for Nigerians, but i beg to differ....
- although some are ready to kill to leave Nigeria, some are equally ready to kill to go back to Nigeria on holiday pretending they have made it in the west
- people today still go back to the village in Nigeria to find a wife to bring to the west, thinking that this woman ISNT GONNA CHANGE INTO A WESTERN WOMAN (the minute she reaches the west), lol! if you want a village woman, then keep that woman in the village o.
Nice
Thanks for the information

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 1:51am On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
- some people have bought houses etc in the west by cleaning dishes and toilets. not all these menial jobs are as bad as people thing...

So true sir....
Which country did you have your experiences in..?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 1:51am On Mar 30, 2023
EastAlchemist:

Nice
Thanks for the information

Nice sir.
Kindly give us your own experiences.

1 Like

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by EastAlchemist: 4:06am On Mar 30, 2023
colonelwealth:

Nice sir.
Kindly give us your own experiences.
Experience Keh
Where my papa sabi

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by UnFashionIsta: 5:24am On Mar 30, 2023
colonelwealth:
This thread is for Nairalanders who have traveled out(relocated) or travel out(foreign visits) either occasionally or frequently.

What are the things; livestyles, culture shocks, cusines, religion, norms, education, government, discoveries that you have noticed in your travels to foreign country/lands that took you by surprise, shocked you, disgusted you or impressed you about your place of visit(country)..?
(Tell us both positive& negative impressionyou had that made you either appreciate Nigeria or criticise Nigeria)

For me: my negative impression was the unnecessary fear for Nigerians.....this made me appreciate Nigerians for their welcoming attitude towards foreigners irrespective of nationality.

While my positive impression was the general contentment and ease with which life is approached.....this made me criticise our mindset of 'get everything by all means necessary " in Nigeria.

Which one is unnecessary fear of Nigerians? Where have you been to that Nigerians are feared?? No dey let inferiority complex worry you, because nobody gives a damn.

Y'all make it seem like being a Nigerian automatically means that you're held to a certain standard. Truth be told, in the west, no one really cares where you're from, except for maybe the color of your skin. Some folks over here can't even place Nigeria on a map. There are a lot more people from other places whose cultures are more widespread and notorious than Nigerians, for good or for bad.

If you dey misbehave and people treat you the way you deserve, that's on you and not because you're a Nigerian. Na to take personal responsibility for your Bleep ups. Nobody's out to get you just because you're Nigerian.

We need to stop looking at things through the lenses of tribalism, ethnicism and low self esteem, otherwise we'll become our own problem.

Maybe na based on the particular country where you dey sha.

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by UnFashionIsta: 5:49am On Mar 30, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Bilingualism: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2023
Most people japa because of a second passport and the insecurity in our dear country and their inability to get a job to live up to expectation as a graduate. Or job insecurity from even those who have one.
The future of our kids etc.

Abroad too is not as easy as most people back home think. We are just lucky to be able to thrive amidst stress.

Here you have to be responsible everything comes as mail unlike Nigeria where u will owe your landlord and still be threatening your landlord.

OYINbo no Dey stress na court paper you go see next.

In all honesty there is no place like home. In this abroad my dear nothing like communal living. It’s even difficult to greet someone when almost everyone has an ear piece on. I will advice people don’t sell your property to japa because you might end up been depressed because the grass isn’t greener on the other side, but if you have the means Biko japa. Japa is also educating (traveling)
In the uk where I stay, I went to see my gp and was hungry I went to a restaurant nearby and in that restaurant the only food that seem familiar was pasta.(macaroni) I ordered for a portion but my dear when it came it tasted like mixing boiled unsalted pasted with tin tomato (uncooked tomato paste)and it was cold. I no fit chop am because as I naija person we are used to as e Dey hot🤣.

Also if you want to travel via student route don’t come alone if you have a balance of your tuition try to come with your spouse Biko it makes life easy else you may almost drop out of school.

I will add more shortly

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by SkengRay: 10:28am On Mar 30, 2023
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:35pm On Mar 30, 2023
colonelwealth:
So true sir....
Which country did you have your experiences from.

i am born and bred in France so pretty much traveled all over Europe (Spain Belgium, Italy, Holland, Poland Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Russia Sweden finland etc) ... but i have actually lived in the UK, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Czech republic, Switzerland, China, Japan, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia... and of course, as you live in these places, you travel to neighboring countries to visit.

...and again, in any of these countries, i can tell you a story (whether good or bad) about Nigerians

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 12:40pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

i am born and bred in France so pretty much traveled all over Europe (Spain Belgium, Italy, Holland, Poland Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Russia Sweden finland etc) ... but i have actually lived in the UK, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Czech republic, Switzerland, China, Japan, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia... and of course, as you live in these places, you travel to neighboring countries to visit.

...and again, in any of these countries, i can tell you a story (whether good or bad) about Nigerians

Wawu!!!
Your list of travels are very impressive.
Pls share some of your experiences in these countries.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:47pm On Mar 30, 2023
colonelwealth:
Wawu!!!
Your list of travels is very impressive.
Pls share some of your experiences in these countries.

bro there are too many to mention.... its been decades. but my favourite countries in the world, by far are Australia, Japan Brasil, in no particular order.... and let me just say that, i have been to the US quite a lot, and i am still trying to figure out what the attraction IS. i only like Miami (and possibly Atlanta)

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 12:51pm On Mar 30, 2023
UnFashionIsta:
Which one is unnecessary fear of Nigerians? Where have you been to that Nigerians are feared?? No dey let inferiority complex worry you, because nobody gives a damn.

Y'all make it seem like being a Nigerian automatically means that you're held to a certain standard. Truth be told, in the west, no one really cares where you're from, except for maybe the color of your skin. Some folks over here can't even place Nigeria on a map. There are a lot more people from other places whose cultures are more widespread and notorious than Nigerians, for good or for bad.

If you dey misbehave and people treat you the way you deserve, that's on you and not because you're a Nigerian. Na to take personal responsibility for your Bleep ups. Nobody's out to get you just because you're Nigerian.

We need to stop looking at things through the lenses of tribalism, ethnicism and low self esteem, otherwise we'll become our own problem.

Maybe na based on the particular country where you dey sha.

Brother man, there's nothing like inferiority complex here.....Nigerians are bold and never inferior and are very well know for their assertiveness, boldness and determination world over.
However in some foreign countries, the truth remains that Nigerians are not generally well received at first, they tend to apply so much level of caution, fear, animosity or hostility before they even begin to loosen up to accept you.

In some of these places, they already have a prejudiced mindset about Nigerians based on "hear say" which influences their reception of Nigerians and somehow the media and movie industries do not help matters as the news that comes out of the Nigerian space are mostly full of negatives while the movie industry projection of Nigerians as lawless, ritualists, witches& wizards do not help either.

Also the behaviors of some dubious/disrespectful Nigerians in the diaspora do not equally help matters.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by jesmond3945: 1:03pm On Mar 30, 2023
colonelwealth:

school run is very toxic especially with other immigrants, rude people and so on.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Gerrard59(m): 1:23pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

NL's most prolific globetrotter! Na so one say you never see airport. grin

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:27pm On Mar 30, 2023
Gerrard59:
NL's most prolific globetrotter! Na so one say you never see airport. grin

lol, i remember the dude.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by shegzhkn: 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
About the wife thingy, get this - people don't change they are revealed.
And if you are actually enlightened there won't be much culture shock or whatever.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:59pm On Mar 30, 2023
shegzhkn:
About the wife thingy, get this - people don't change they are revealed.
And if you are actually enlightened there won't be much culture shock or whatever.

if these women never leave the village, they will never be "revealed"... and would continue to be who they really are (aka African village women). the minute you take her out her own environment then she cannot remain the same. the issue here is that these women simply ADAPT to the culture of the country where they land. i dont blame these women, i blame the clueless dudes who go back to Africa thinking these women will remain "village women" while living in some big cities of the world AND in countries that gives EQUAL RIGHTS to women. lol... now tomorrow, you think you can raise your voice at this woman or even beat her black and blue (like they do back home), and act surprised when "village woman" sends you to jail and/or throw you out of your own damn house.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by studyless123: 2:20pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

if these women never leave the village, they will never be "revealed"... and would continue to be who they really are (aka African village women). the minute you take her out her own environment then she cannot remain the same. the issue here is that these women simply ADAPT to the culture of the country where they land. i dont blame these women, i blame the clueless dudes who go back to Africa thinking these women will remain "village women" while living in some big cities of the world AND in countries that gives EQUAL RIGHTS to women. lol... now tomorrow, you think you can raise your voice at this woman or even beat her black and blue (like they do back home), and act surprised when "village woman" sends you to jail and/or throw you out of your own damn house.

This is not a woman thing. Men and women change. There have been a lot of men who were brought by their wives/girlfriends and they changed.
It is natural for people to change. As we go through life, we have experiences that shape our beliefs, values, and perspectives. These experiences can lead to changes in our personalities, goals, and attitudes. In fact, change is a constant part of life and can often be positive as we grow and learn from our experiences. It is important to embrace change and see it as an opportunity for personal growth and development.
Why on earth should a man beat a woman, that's a barbaric attitude and the man rightly deserves jail.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 30, 2023
studyless123:
This is not a woman thing. Men and women change. There have been a lot of men who were brought by their wives/girlfriends and they changed.
It is natural for people to change. As we go through life, we have experiences that shape our beliefs, values, and perspectives. These experiences can lead to changes in our personalities, goals, and attitudes. In fact, change is a constant part of life and can often be positive as we grow and learn from our experiences. It is important to embrace change and see it as an opportunity for personal growth and development.
Why on earth should a man beat a woman, that's a barbaric attitude and the man rightly deserves jail.

true we all change...but a woman who meet a man in the village, get married in the village and live their whole life in the village, wont change drastically, while the village babe who lands in NY would AUTOMATICALLY change...thats the sad part that many men living abroad dont understand.

yes you are right men AND women go back home to find spouse to bring abroad.

as for men beating their wife scott free in Nigeria/Africa (let us NOT dwell on "why" it does happen).... but its a well known issue and most often, wifey just go back to her parents or talk to her in laws rather than call the cops and have you arrested (let alone throw you out your damn house)

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by studyless123: 3:20pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

true we all change...but a woman who meet a man in the village, get married in the village and live their whole life in the village, wont change drastically, while the village babe who lands in NY would AUTOMATICALLY change...thats the sad part that many men living abroad dont understand.

That's it. A change in location should accompany a change in behavior. I know a number of women who desire to get married but their issue is the man will change once he comes here. My next question is what are your options?

consider this.

When foreigners get married to Nigerians, the marriage tends to lasts longer compared to Nigerian couples. Eg In 2014, I linked up 8 USC with Nigerians that ended in marriage, all are still married. That same year I know 5 Nigerian marriages that only 2 are still couples today. While that is a personal observation, you will agree that we tend to have a higher tolerance towards our foreigners spouses which we don't exhibit toward our Nationals.

We create different expectations. We shy away from having meaningful and sometimes difficult discussions during courtship.

Honestly I would expect my spouse to change if I brought her from Nigeria but the real issues are the men need to change their "orientation" and the women need to "understand" their men.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:21pm On Mar 30, 2023
studyless123:

That's it. A change in location should accompany a change in behavior. I know a number of women who desire to get married but their issue is the man will change once he comes here. My next question is what are your options?

consider this.

When foreigners get married to Nigerians, the marriage tends to lasts longer compared to Nigerian couples. Eg In 2014, I linked up 8 USC with Nigerians that ended in marriage, all are still married. That same year I know 5 Nigerian marriages that only 2 are still couples today. While that is a personal observation, you will agree that we tend to have a higher tolerance towards our foreigners spouses which we don't exhibit toward our Nationals.

We create different expectations. We shy away from having meaningful and sometimes difficult discussions during courtship.

Honestly I would expect my spouse to change if I brought her from Nigeria but the real issues are the men need to change their "orientation" and the women need to "understand" their men.

Abeg can you link me up. Me too I want to marry an American I don't care if she weighs 800 pounds embarassed embarassed

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by studyless123: 4:01pm On Mar 30, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Abeg can you link me up. Me too I want to marry an American I don't care if she weighs 800 pounds embarassed embarassed

grin grin grin
I've never seen an 800 pound person. If the woman is overweight, she can burn the fat if both of you hit the gym daily.

3 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by UntamedKing: 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2023
studyless123:

grin grin grin
I've never seen an 800 pound person. If the woman is overweight, she can burn the fat if both of you hit the gym daily.
Hahahaha, you're right. Anyway, where's the connection, make I show her my handsome face. hahahahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2023
studyless123:

.. and here lies the main issue: these men go back to Africa to get women (because they dont like the mentality of women abroad) not understanding that the MINUTE these village women come over, they will ultimately turn in to these same women these men are tryng to avoid (with the exact same mentality)

consider this.

the above would depend on many different variables (where they live, how they met etc)

i dont believe it has to do with "understanding" what these men want...but i believe it has all to do with understanding what they are up against. a wife who never set foot outside her village can never be prepared for whats coming to her, in terms of change of environment, change of mentality, change of laws, shift of marital power etc. these men want a certain type of women that you can only find, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE in Nigeria!

6 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2023
jesmond3945:
school run is very toxic especially with other immigrants, rude people and so on.

Pls explain to us sir your experiences.
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by colonelwealth(m): 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

bro there are too many to mention.... its been decades. but my favourite countries in the world, by far are Australia, Japan Brasil, in no particular order.... and let me just say that, i have been to the US quite a lot, and i am still trying to figure out what the attraction IS. i only like Miami (and possibly Atlanta)

Oh that's quite a lot sir....oya pls just give two.
Australia and Japanese experience will do.

1 Like

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by ednut1(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

there are men abroad who want to marry a fellow Nigerian, but cant doesn’t meet their standards. Should he keep begging for their acceptance Or help himself by going to Nigeria 🤣.
Not all women you bring from Nigeria will change.
The average established 9ja babe abroad is going on 3-4 vacations a year. Spain today, Cancun tommorow, indonesia next week, some don’t cook, some don’t want kids, some are looking for 6 figures men, some looking for their tribes person etc. how are men supposed to cope with all that. His only choice might be Amaka who earns 100k a month in Nigeria or is even jobless grin😜

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:23pm On Mar 30, 2023
ednut1:
there are men abroad who want to marry a fellow Nigerian, but cant doesn’t meet their standards. Should he keep begging for their acceptance Or help himself by going to Nigeria 🤣.
Not all women you bring from Nigeria will change.
The average established 9ja babe abroad is going on 3-4 vacations a year. Spain today, Cancun tommorow, indonesia next week, some don’t cook, some don’t want kids, some are looking for 6 figures men, some looking for their tribes person etc. how are men supposed to cope with all that. His only choice might be Amaka who earns 100k a month in Nigeria or is even jobless grin😜

very true, but do you really think that these men cant find a Nigerian woman to marry OR they just cant find the type of woman they are looking for (aka one that doesnt have the western mentality or way of life embedded in their DNA)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by emmaodet: 7:11pm On Mar 30, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by ednut1(m): 8:29pm On Mar 30, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

very true, but do you really think that these men cant find a Nigerian woman to marry OR they just cant find the type of woman they are looking for (aka one that doesnt have the western mentality or way of life embedded in their DNA)
most times they can find. They know the women will likely change if they bring them over. The ones who keep the wives back in Nigeria are the ones looking for non western DNA. In my opinion

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos From The Range Rover Accident At Eko Bridge,lagos / Lagos Airport Staff Who Steals Passengers' Belongings Discovered (pics, Video) / Dv Lottery 2013 Winners: Let's Discuss Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.