Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,452 members, 7,850,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:31 AM

Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? (500 Views)

NITDA Issues ‘Code Of Practice’ To Regulate Online Platforms In Nigeria / Sadiya Farouq: FG Will Use BVN To Identify Poor, Vulnerable Nigerians / Coronavirus: FG Begin Use Of BVN To Distribute Palliatives | TV360 Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:21am On Apr 03, 2023
For better understanding of the above question..

Meaning of TIN: Taxpayer Identification Number. (A unique number which identifies every Tax-payer; whether an individual Tax-payer, or a registered business).

Meaning of NIN: National Identification Number. (A unique number which every individual in Nigeria must have, which clearly indicates whether the person is either a citizen or a legal resident of the country.)

Meaning of BVN: Bank Verification Number.(A unique number which every bank-account owner in Nigeria must have, which also serves to a unique identifier for the individual owner of the account -- or accounts -- across all banks in Nigeria.)

Thus, to break down the question in simple language..

Is it supposed to be mandatory and compulsory for every for everyone who has a NIN/BVN to automatically have a TIN generated and assigned to him/her too.??
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:22am On Apr 03, 2023
Here is my own opinion..

IT IS VERY NECESSARY FOR TIN TO BE GENERATED (ALBEIT DORMANT) FOR EVERY NIN GENERATED..

AND ALSO, FOR THE DORMANT TIN TO BE ACTIVATED IMMEDIATELY THE OWNER HAS A BVN AND AN ACTIVE BANK ACCOUNT TO HIS NAME.

Every individual needs to be paying tax, no matter who you are.

(And even if the government waives tax for the person, or that the person is living on the Government treasury, the person’s TIN should be known too..)

Some taxes needs the full particulars of the person paying it to be taken -- for instance; income-tax, vehicle-tax, luxury-tax, etc..
Thus, once the person submits his NIN and his TIN for the payment of such taxes, his income details and tax history would be made available.
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by Pythagoras001: 7:24am On Apr 03, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Here is my own opinion
an what would that be?
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by Joey4321: 7:25am On Apr 03, 2023
How about kids that do not work or have an income

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:45am On Apr 03, 2023
Joey4321:
How about kids that do not work or have an income
Kids with NINs should have dormant TINs generated and assigned to them, pending the time they have BVNs and Bank Accounts..

Any person who has a Bank Account would have the Generated TIN converted from “Dormant” status to “Active” status.

This serves for the payment of Sales-Tax, Luxury-Tax, and other consumer-taxes.

It would also make it easier to track the individual’s income growth, and have him/her captured and categorized properly for the payment of “Income-Tax”..

The SSS number in America serves both identification (NIN) and Tax (TIN) purposes..
But here in Nigeria, the functions were divided across different agencies, and both numbers were not even synchronized.
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by Joey4321: 2:52pm On Apr 03, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Kids with NINs should have dormant TINs generated and assigned to them, pending the time they have BVNs and Bank Accounts..

Any person who has a Bank Account would have the Generated TIN converted from “Dormant” status to “Active” status.

This serves for the payment of Sales Tax and Luxury Tax and other consumer taxes.

The SSS number in America serves both identification (NIN) and Tax (TIN)..
But in Nigeria, they were divided, and both numbers were not even synchronized.

Great point for accountability purposes.

Sounds like something Tinubu can focus on. Since I heard he's good with collecting taxes.

But then. I can't pay taxes to an irresponsible government.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by slivertongue: 2:53pm On Apr 03, 2023
Great question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 8:19pm On Apr 03, 2023
Joey4321:

Great point for accountability purposes.
Proper Taxing by the Government reduces irresponsibility, reckless spending, and acquiring of illegally gotten and untaxed and unexplainable wealth by the people..
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 4:25pm On Apr 06, 2023
Joey4321:

But then, I can't pay taxes to an irresponsible government.

They may make it a strong offence,, and get you arrested because of that..
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by Joey4321: 6:52am On Apr 07, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

They may make it a strong offence,, and get you arrested because of that..

There's no need living in the country then. I'd rather go to a country where things work and happily pay my taxes

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 7:56am On Apr 07, 2023
Joey4321:

There's no need living in the country then. I'd rather go to a country where things work and happily pay my taxes

We are all hoping that our dear country will start working excellently and perfectly very soon..
Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by Joey4321: 8:06am On Apr 07, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

We are all hoping that our dear country will start working excellently and perfectly very soon..

It's taken too long. Whatever the country wants to do is it's business.

Bro this is 2023. And they just took the light in my apartment.

2023!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Governance Practice To Link Every Existing NIN And BVN To A TIN.?? by BluntCrazeMan: 9:06am On Apr 07, 2023
Joey4321:

It's taken too long. Whatever the country wants to do is it's business.

Bro this is 2023. And they just took the light in my apartment.

2023!!!!
Chaaiii..

It can only get better.

We can never have it again as bad as Buhari

(1) (Reply)

How Alex Otti Can Revolutionize Aba & Make It Great / Nigeria Can't Be At Standstill Because Of Your Court Case, Keyamo Tells Obi / Kaduna: Governor Uba Sani Appoints Senior Govt Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.