Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead (34080 Views)

Four Confirmed Dead As Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos (Photo) / Another storey building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos (photos) / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Truthshscrazy: 8:26pm On Apr 07, 2023
LASBCA undecided
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Hanndye: 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2023
After cutting back on cost and materials by all and sundry, all that remains is a collapsible structure. Owners beware!
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by chatinent: 8:43pm On Apr 07, 2023
Debby124:

Sometimes it just boils down to personal greed because even a qualified engineer can still go for substandard materials
[s] Blessing:
Please if anybody can help me with any little amount to eat I will be very happy. Feeding is a big problem for me and my family please no matter how small. I havent eaten anything since yesterday in the morning pls. My dad is a retired teacher and my mom is late. Am a single mother with my own son mouth to feed, the little money i make have use it to cater for my dad illness and pay house rent but his health is getting worst. Now we can't even eat or buy water to drink. Please if you're reading this message pls come to our aid, no matter how small it will go a long way pls. Almighty God meet you at the point of your need as you have show us mercy amen
Acct num:
Faith
First Bank[/s]

This is so heartbreaking.. May God raise a kind hearted person to assist you dear, and may divine help locate you IJN

But does it change the fact that you are a career beggar, making it look like you are quoting sb else?

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by dangoteinlaw: 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2023
davodyguy:

What experience does fresh out of school graduate have?

You can't call a graduate an engineer until he or she gets certified by Coren

It's like a fresh graduate of Law, claiming to be a lawyer without being called to BAR
if you read my comment properly I mentioned “qualified” so if you think a qualified yet young engineer is in comparison with one quack who has done a tone of juju on his lips to convince you then pray you shouldn’t be at home when that building will crash totally.
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by render01(f): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2023
Na waoh, bad news everywhere
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by anyilalaz: 9:02pm On Apr 07, 2023
Government agencies, ministries and parastatal saddled with the responsibilities of ensuring standards of quality building and construction materials has failed the nation.

Recently, I was at steel market to purchase some iron rods. What I saw as 16mm was like haif split of 14mm, and so on.

Funny enough, most companies manufacturing iron rods are own by Indians, Chinese, Lebanese.

Until these companies begin to face serious legal and financial penalties when a collapse building materials from they company were verified by experts as the root cause of such a disaster.

Come to think of it. Why Do Nigeria not have a standard that various sphere of our national lives must adhere to like in US, India, UK. Nigeria can even localized some of these standards like ASME, ANSI, IEEE, BSI, BIS, etc

RIP to the dead, quick recovery to the injured until another disaster happens again.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Corroro: 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2023
Sad one, rip to the lives lost.
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Omoapena(m): 9:15pm On Apr 07, 2023
Isn't this old news?

This is obviously old news,
Seun, this happened last year and not sure another happened this year...

Seun
Mynd44
Lalasticlala

See main thread here, this happened last year September

https://www.nairaland.com/7351064/sex-worker-customer-die-lagos
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Mac2016(m): 9:39pm On Apr 07, 2023
frenzy48:
very terrible ..may their souls rest well

what can be a long lasting solution to all these building collapses
It won't ever stop unless greed is reduced to barest minimum especially in critical sectors. But Nigerians don't care.
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Dozie32(m): 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2023
Krugisback:
delete this comment bro

Because say you be who?
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:40pm On Apr 07, 2023
Please as an Architect, structural Engineer, a builder , pls don't accept minimal standards with your client ....

Make sure you are 100% involved in both the management of site based on materials , labour and Supervision of all site schedules ...

If you must be only a Supervisor, please have an undertaking with your client and make sure no phrase from the undertaking is neglected....

If the people involved in this building collapse are not professionals, this case will be treated as a murder case ....

Building construction is a serious business , no cutting of corners ....

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 08, 2023
Debby124:

Sometimes it just boils down to personal greed because even a qualified engineer can still go for substandard materials

There is nothing like substandard materials in construction but failure to adhere to professional advice from qualified engineers. There is no fake cement, no fake sand, no fake granite and no fake iron rods. 90% of the time it's the home owners who employ quacks (bricklayers) and ignore professional advice.

Kindly do your research on past collapsed structures in Lagos and you'll see what I am talking about. Some of these property owners would build something totally different from what the foundation was designed for. Others will abandon civil engineers and employ bricklayers to supervise construction, whereas the bricklayers lack technical understanding of structures.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by seguno2: 5:50am On Apr 08, 2023
Debby124:

This is so heartbreaking.. May God raise a kind hearted person to assist you dear, and may divine help locate you IJN

The personal greed of governors who fail to recruit enough workers to monitor construction projects in the state, and motivate them with comparable wages?

Or whose personal greed are you talking about
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Originalsly: 8:02am On Apr 08, 2023
LASBCA needs to investigate itself to find out which of their staff was signed that the construction met the standard requirements. The owner and builder can short cut or be cheap ... but at the end of the day it is the responsibility of LASBCA to enforce the requirements.
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Sensiblerealist: 10:24am On Apr 08, 2023
Barao banza

Debby124:

Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Crafteck1: 10:33am On Apr 08, 2023
Debby124:

This is so heartbreaking that you people type everytime, seems you gjys are in business with the serial beggars copying and pasting same format.
Re: Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead by Neoteny7: 8:11pm On Apr 08, 2023
Odd none of the "prophets" saw it coming.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should The Tenant Who Is Served A Quit Notice Still Pay The Landlord? / Jarus CountryHome - A Journal / Cost Of 4 Flats Of 2 Bedroom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.