Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Jarus CountryHome - A Journal - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Jarus CountryHome - A Journal (34069 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:13pm On Oct 18, 2011
Building A House - My Experience

I have decided to open this thread to share my experience on my current project in Kwara, perhaps all of us, both home owners and prospective landlords, can learn one or two things and exchange ideas.

Project: A 3-bedroom flat, plus 2 room+parlour BQs. Later, by God's grace, to build mosque in the compound and shops adjoining the fence.
Location & Purpose: Kwara state; to serve as my countryhome, and follow family tradition of building first house in our village.
Size: 2 1/4 plots.
Initial plan: To do a modest 3 bedroom flat with no more than 2.5 -3m! But I find myself, most times on advice of parent and supervisor(an architect), tinkering with the initial plan many times, including BQs, reshaping  the plan and costs flying up!

In subsequent posts, I will share pictures of the different stages, costs and share key lessons I realized.

5 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by werepeLeri: 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2011
Building a house in Abuja - a four room duplex - with BQ

Cost of land - 8m.

Spent so far. 23m.

Purpose- Elegance and taste all combined in a modest 4 room duplex in a serviced estate. Hmmm -

Jarus- means, the cost of land in Abuja will build two of yours in Kwara. Please take me to Kwara.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by NL1960: 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
@Jarus. Sorry for my asking. Why would you want to share your country home with shops?. Will you be able to control the type of people that will rent the shops or those that will patronize what they are selling?. What if somebody rents one of the shops and turn it into a drinking joint?. Hope you know that all sorts of characters come into a drinking joint. To me that is not safe or quiet enough for a house that is a country home.

6 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
Lessons:

1, Just start, don't procrastinate. I almost regret procrastinating for too long before starting. I remember asking on this section of NL in 2009 about what it costs to build a house. I however gained something useful from one of the responses as it was through this section that I got a link to a website that did a fine analysis of how 2.5m can do a house, which fired me up, even though I got to realize it can't.

2, You are most likely to spend above your budget, if not due to anything, because of changing prices of building materials. In addition to that, a factor that swelled up my own cost is changing taste. I kept tinkering with the original plan and idea almost at every stage. My plan was, with 3.5m max, I will finish the whole house to painting and finishing, but today I have spent 3.6m and it's just around 60% completed. From the look of things, by the time I finish(painting plus finishing), I may have spent 6m. To bring it to my final desired shape (interlocking compound, mosque, car port, shop, fencing etc), I don't see myself spending less than 8m. From initial plan of 2.5m to 8m! That's how it is! But never be discouraged, just start, even if with 500k!

3, You can hardly escape being short-changed, no matter the level of supervision, and it is worse if you're sending money from Lagos like me. I learnt some bags of cement disappeared unaccounted for from my site. I also suspect most of the prices being told me are inflated. I may have lost close to 500k on these things, but they played their game so well, and I'm also not somebody that finds faults, especially when I don't have concrete evidence. So I just do some shouting on phone and leave them.

5 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2011
werepeLeri:

Building a house in Abuja - a four room duplex - with BQ

Cost of land - 8m.

Spent so far. 23m.

Purpose- Elegance and taste all combined in a modest 4 room duplex in a serviced estate. Hmmm -

Jarus- means, the cost of land in Abuja will build two of yours in Kwara. Please take me to Kwara.
That's why it's FCT! When I become a big boy like you, I will do Abuja too. lol
Anyway, the Lagos project is in teh offing too.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:40pm On Oct 18, 2011
NL1960:

@Jarus. Sorry for my asking. Why would you want to share your country home with shops?. Will you be able to control the type of people that will rent the shops or those that will patronize what they are selling?. What if somebody rents one of the shops and turn it into a drinking joint?. Hope you know that all sorts of characters come into a drinking joint. To me that is not safe or quiet enough for a house that is a country home.
No, not for rent. Just a small shop for anybody(maybe my old woman) to sell soft drinks.

3 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:45pm On Oct 18, 2011
Now the pics:

At start - at the back is the BQ, front is foundation of main building. I had a quarrel with my architect/supervisor on this. I queried him for starting with the BQ first and told him to suspend it. Although he told me he also personally felt we should have started from main building, but my old man directed him to do otherwise.

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2011
The BQ, up to lintel. I have suspended that one and faced main building:
2 different views:

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:50pm On Oct 18, 2011
The main building in progress, some months ago:

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:51pm On Oct 18, 2011
Another view:

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by werepeLeri: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2011
I am using the services of a building contractor. Are you doing the same or are you buying materials and getting someone to supervise?

We had a B of Q which we follow, so I just give them bulk money and they spend. However, my friends keep telling me that is a waste that I should have just hired masons and buy stuff for them while they build, but I am most times not in the country. Which one is the best option. Beside, I hear the contractors always get 35% of whatever the B o Q is as their profit. True?

And they chase you like they are the one who has the money in the first instance. If I am slow in giving money, they begin to call me asking me for money until i told them off that they should chill.

From experience, never use a building contractor.

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2011
Whole project(at lintel stage)
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:01pm On Oct 18, 2011
With this being my first project, I am quite naive on building/personal project, but probably because of my purse, I didn't even consider using a contractor in teh first place. It's my architect supervising it, for a fee, of course. I jsyt send money, say 1m and he will tell me beforehand where he expects that to take the project to, and on exhausting the money, will account for how he spent it, but most times, it doesn't get to where he told me it will get it to, giving all forms of excuses like price increase, introducing new style etc. And with all my Lagos wahala, having time to investigate/verify his calims is the last thing I have on my mind. So I just shakara him that the cost is getting too high and send another.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by werepeLeri: 4:10pm On Oct 18, 2011
I think it is okay to just follow a bill of quantity - which means - no arbitrary increases, except in agreed circumstances. By and large, i think it is cheaper to avoid using a building contractor. Well done bros.

1 Like

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by spyder880(m): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2011
Keep the pictures coming Jarus, I am enjoying this. More cement to your elbows, lol.

2 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:39pm On Oct 18, 2011
Views before roofing commences.

Note the big space still left to the side in the compound. I plan to use that for trees, car port, build a small family mosque, sports side(my house must have Table Tennis - that's my sport!)

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2011
We did some tinkering to the front, against plan.

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2011
Views from side and abck respectively:

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2011
The second pic is view from front, not back pls.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:48pm On Oct 18, 2011
These are pics before covering with aluminium:

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2011
More - before covering with roof.

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2011
Most recent pics - 3 weeks ago. Covered with aluminium

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
more

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2011
Cost is 3.6m to date. Note also that this is Kwara, not Lagos. But the major difference between this and Lagos will be cost of land and labour. Others will remain the same, almost everywhere.

Like I mentioned from start, just start, you will be surprised at how you're progressing.

6 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by spyder880(m): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2011
How much did it cost to roof this house, wood, aluminum sheets and labor for carpenter respectively?
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Jarus(m): 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
Woods + carpentary = 320k
Aluminium(labour & transportation inclusive) = 630k
Total cost of roofing = 950k
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by NL1960: 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2011
What is the thickness of this aluminum and the colour?.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by AmAlone: 7:21pm On Oct 18, 2011
God Will Sure See You Through!!!

Nice House!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Oct 19, 2011
Nice house and congratulations . . . God bless you

5 Likes

Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by maninmood(m): 5:01pm On Oct 19, 2011
Nice one Jarus, may God empower you to finish it up to your taste. @ werepeLeri: Must you showcase your stupidity here just cuz you have just a piece of land in Abuja. You now went ahead and criticized your fellow man that builds his in Kwara. What would someone that buys his for 30mil say? Proud fake mofo!

@Jarus: Abeg show us more pictures my broda. Our oga Spyder880 is here grin
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by spyder880(m): 5:36pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^^ my brother I no be Oga, that exalted position is left for Baba fhemmmy, ihebrooke, lawyer etc. Me am a fellow learner and am enjoying and learning from the experience of Jarus.
Re: Jarus CountryHome - A Journal by maninmood(m): 7:17pm On Oct 19, 2011
Jarus:

Lessons:

1, Just start, don't procrastinate. I almost regret procrastinating for too long before starting. I remember asking on this section of NL in 2009 about what it costs to build a house. I however gained something useful from one of the responses as it was through this section that I got a link to a website that did a fine analysis of how 2.5m can do a house, which fired me up, even though I got to realize it can't.

2, You are most likely to spend above your budget, if not due to anything, because of changing prices of building materials. In addition to that, a factor that swelled up my own cost is changing taste. I kept tinkering with the original plan and idea almost at every stage. My plan was, with 3.5m max, I will finish the whole house to painting and finishing, but today I have spent 3.6m and it's just around 60% completed. From the look of things, by the time I finish(painting plus finishing), I may have spent 6m. To bring it to my final desired shape (interlocking compound, mosque, car port, shop, fencing etc), I don't see myself spending less than 8m. From initial plan of 2.5m to 8m! That's how it is! But never be discouraged, just start, even if with 500k!

3, You can hardly escape being short-changed, no matter the level of supervision, and it is worse if you're sending money from Lagos like me. I learnt some bags of cement disappeared unaccounted for from my site. I also suspect most of the prices being told me are inflated. I may have lost close to 500k on these things, but they played their game so well, and I'm also not somebody that finds faults, especially when I don't have concrete evidence. So I just do some shouting on phone and leave them.

My broda, nice quote there. However, building a house is like bringing a baby up, you can never estimate the exact amount you are going to spend on it, but you can always guess almost right. My brother, you're doing something great and may God see you through. I will pat you on the back if you can successfully build a 3 bedroom flat with 2 self-contained bqs with 8mil. My brother, you have a great taste, abeg be looking at 13 million wink.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cost Of 4 Flats Of 2 Bedroom. / Satin paint not available / Land, Houses For Sale @ Magboro (makógi, mápárá Etc @ Back Of MFM Prayer City)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.