Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? (23232 Views)

Is It Hygienic For People To Go To The Rest Room With Their Phones? / Nigeria Sets Tooth-Brushing World Record / Using Tissue Or Water After Toilet, Which Is More Hygienic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by manny4life(m): 2:47am On Sep 25, 2011
Well, I can deal with brushing in the sink, and if u find that disgusting, how about when your roommate in school has to actually cough and it's in the sink. I mean the thick Phlegm stuck on the sink, and low and behold you come in only to see that. Now I think that's more disgusting. As for the person who said about white folks, those folks are really disgusting. God gave me grace to endure for the two years of room sharing in college with them dirty guys, that I did not hurt someone was a miracle.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Man51ut(m): 6:07am On Sep 25, 2011
There's germs everywhere.  Did you not wash chicken in there?  No germs in your friends mouth can be as dangerous to humans as salmonella. 

Even the so called toilet.  When you flush, do you know how much fecal matter flies out of the toilet?  And lands on the toothbrush you put in your mouth? 

As long as the sink is washed afterwards, I don't see the big deal. After all, whatever enters that sink later, will it not be washed with soap?  Will the food not be cooked (thus killing any harmful microbes that your friend might have unleashed in there?)
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 25, 2011
Man_51ut:

There's germs everywhere.  Did you not wash chicken in there?  No germs in your friends mouth can be as dangerous to humans as salmonella. 

Even the so called toilet.  When you flush, do you know how much fecal matter flies out of the toilet?  And lands on the toothbrush you put in your mouth? 

As long as the sink is washed afterwards, I don't see the big deal. After all, whatever enters that sink later, will it not be washed with soap?  Will the food not be cooked (thus killing any harmful microbes that your friend might have unleashed in there?) 

Comrade, you're not comprehending, one bit.

We're talking about germs we have control over, you're talking about what splashes out of the toilet each time you flush. Where's the correlation here?
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 25, 2011
manny4life:

Well, I can deal with brushing in the sink, and if u find that disgusting, how about when your roommate in school has to actually cough and it's in the sink. I mean the thick Phlegm stuck on the sink, and low and behold you come in only to see that. Now I think that's more disgusting. As for the person who said about white folks, those folks are really disgusting. God gave me grace to endure for the two years of room sharing in college with them dirty guys, that I did not hurt someone was a miracle.

By your own admission, you found it disgusting, though you're kind of contradicting yourself. But given the choice at home, you wouldn't brush your teeth in the kitchen sink, that much I can deduce from the highlighted parts of your above statement.

The thread title's quite clear - "How Hygienic Is Brushing Your Teeth In The Kitchen Sink?" We're not talking about school, we're talking about your own personal space. The fact some animal in school decides to spit phlegm into the sink at school (I presume it's not the kitchen sink, but the hostel one) shouldn't blind one to the obvious, that leaving your plaque, tartar, blood and gum tissue in the kitchen sink is a revolting habit.

With many advocating the habit of brushing teeth in the kitchen sink, it's no wonder people in Nigeria suffer all manner of bugs, sometimes fatal. Hygiene plays a greater role in longevity than people think.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by obowunmi(m): 9:10am On Sep 25, 2011
@ Yield: its not an excuse its the truth.

Only one bathroom, ure late for school or work, would you rather not brush or brush in the kitchen sink ? I've seen people urinate in the bathroom sink, I've seen people wash their feet in the bathroom sink, so I'm not sure what's particularly hyginenic about brushing in the bathroom sink over the kitchen sink,
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 25, 2011
obowunmi:

Only one bathroom, ure late for school or work, would you rather not brush or brush in the kitchen sink ? I've seen people urinate in the bathroom sink, I've seen people wash their feet in the bathroom sink, so I'm not sure what's particularly hyginenic about brushing in the bathroom sink over the kitchen sink,

Comrade, your post is far from clear.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Man51ut(m): 1:56pm On Sep 25, 2011
I think my post is perfectly clear. If you are going to freak out over germs, it doesn't matter whether you can control them or not, they are still germs.

The fact remains that if you can put a raw chicken in the sink then a little spit or phlegm isn't the end of the world. I can see the point about it being gross, and I can't say I have ever done it myself, but you guys are reacting like it is akin to eating shyte or something.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by armyofone(m): 8:32pm On Sep 25, 2011
very common among college students.

When I was in college, my roommate does it. The day I caught her, I was so mad and she gave excuse that it was not a problem. I said no, don’t wash your mouth in the sink. I do my dishes in there. She was upset and text her parents grin. Her parents drove down. I left the school apartment for class with a note by the door “hey stop brushing your teeth in the sink, you are not the only one living here, consider your roomies” 
Another time I caught her using dish sponge to clean her sneaker. This girl go fit make person go ballistic! From that day, I stop sharing everything with her and glued a note to my bin ‘’for personal use only’’ I visited a friend and she was washing her baby in the kitchen sink! What the hell?
anytime i want to do my dishes, i first boil a full kettle and pot of water cuz i don't trust her.

if you are too lazy to share apartment, stay in the dorms tongue
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Man51ut(m): 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2011
so wait, let me get this straight. are you not using soap to wash your dishes? why do you think you are doing that? soap contains disinfectants that kills most germs.

now you are freaking out over a baby. you should be thanking God that the mother thought your sink clean enough to wash her baby in. after all, babies are more susceptible to germs. the amount of disinfectant the baby is using, your sink was probably cleaner after she used it than it ever had been.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Jenifa1: 9:06pm On Sep 25, 2011
I do it once in a while (ie if bathroom is occupied). nothing wrong with it.
just make sure to wash all the dishes in the sink first. and then clean up your mess (toothpaste remnants etc) afterward.
otherwise, it's disgusting lipsrsealed
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by uzoo: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2011
i dont think there's any justifiable reason why one should brush in the kitchen sink . it absolutely gross.

there's a reason why the bathroom sink (or wash hand basin as some would call it)is situated in the bathroom,and the ktchen sink in the kitchen.
WHAT EVER IS IN THE BATHROOM IS USED IN CLEANING THE PARTS OF YOUR BODY INCLUDING YOUR TEETH.
THE KITCHEN SINK IS FOR FOOD PREPARATION & CLEANING KITCHEN UTENSILS AND CUTLERIES.
UGHHH , JESUS CHRIST!
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by lepasharon(f): 11:32pm On Sep 25, 2011
@ jenifa abeg it is inappropriate to wash a baby in the kitchen sink Jare
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by EfeEkarume(m): 12:27am On Sep 26, 2011
1% hygienic.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 26, 2011
Man_51ut:

so wait, let me get this straight. are you not using soap to wash your dishes? why do you think you are doing that? soap contains disinfectants that kills most germs.

now you are freaking out over a baby. you should be thanking God that the mother thought your sink clean enough to wash her baby in. after all, babies are more susceptible to germs. the amount of disinfectant the baby is using, your sink was probably cleaner after she used it than it ever had been.

I doubt you have a toddler yourself. Otherwise, you'd know you don't bathe a baby with disinfectant. Unless you're looking to damage its skin, or worse. And just so you know, regular washing up soap seldom contains anti-bacteria agents.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by armyofone(m): 2:52pm On Sep 26, 2011
yes, i was using dishsoap to wash. but it repulsed me to know you just washed your stinking mouth there, eww
i taught that girl a lesson. you can do that when you live alone but not when i share the space with you.

for the lady bathing her baby in the sink, it's her home but i was just shocked  shocked yes so freaked out, you should have seen the sweat all over me  grin

Man_51ut:

so wait, let me get this straight.  are you not using soap to wash your dishes?  why do you think you are doing that?  soap contains disinfectants that kills most germs. 

now you are freaking out over a baby.  you should be thanking God that the mother thought her sink clean enough to wash her baby in.  after all, babies are more susceptible to germs.  the amount of disinfectant the baby is using,[b] her sink was probably cleaner after she used it than it ever had been.  [/b]
kai, you are something else  grin
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 26, 2011
//
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by tunnytox(m): 3:52pm On Oct 11, 2011
Yuck!!! Absolutely disgustingly disgusting lol grin grin sio kelebe tue lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by uduoyibo(f): 8:39am On Feb 04, 2012
Please guys keep posting.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by soapdish(f): 10:49am On Feb 04, 2012
Please is it wrong to put dettol in a baby's bath?. Enlighten me pls.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by obowunmi(m): 3:07pm On Feb 04, 2012
Dettol might be a bit harsh for baby skin. How old is the baby?
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by soapdish(f): 8:11pm On Feb 04, 2012
He is 23months old.
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by chikaor(f): 12:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
I dos it nd i no its very very bad nd unhealthy.i wil try my best to stop it. I hate seeing sumeone else doin it.its highly disgusting
Re: How Hygienic Is Brushing In The Kitchen Sink? by Jrichey10: 11:28am On Oct 20, 2016
Kinda funny that everyone who says that it's gross either doesn't give a reason behind why they think it's gross, or the reason they give is because of germs. Do you not realize that you literally put silverware in your mouth and you touch your mouth to cups, how is it different if you wash the spit down the drain? When you clean dishes, you should clean the sink every time after anyways or else it's actually worse than your toothpaste! Old food is def worse than old food mixed with toothpaste. Toothpaste at least kills germs as well. Also noteworthy that most who say it's gross have kind of a bad attitude? Like how many friends can you keep while being so easily grossed out and offended?

(1) (2) (Reply)

She Has Been Menstruating For Over 2 Weeks, Please Help! / 14 Reasons To Include Cashew Nuts In Your Diet / How To Get Rid Of Dark Underarms Simple And Naturally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.