Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:17 AM

GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy (3432 Views)

Nigerians React To Lai Mohammed's Comments On The Economy / #NEVER AGAIN, As Nigerians Cheer GEJ On Facebook After Soldiers Visit / President Goodluck Jonathan Takes Credit For Single Digit Inflation Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by OAM4J: 11:32am On Sep 21, 2011
Recall that I informed you that inflation dropped from 10.2% in June to 9.4% in July. I am pleased to say that the inflation rate again dropped to 9.3% in August as confirmed by the CBN and independent international organizations. This is as our economy grew by 7.72% in the second quarter. As we tighten fiscal and monetary policies and direct resources to education (which has the highest allocation in the budget), power and roads, we will also see similar growth in our developmental indices. GEJ
http://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck/posts/239381299445585
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 21, 2011
where is the proof?
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Pukkah: 11:39am On Sep 21, 2011
I don't like the fixation on economic growth figures. Rather, we should concentrate on the impact which the supposed growth rates have had on our standard of living.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by cold(m): 11:57am On Sep 21, 2011
^^Gbam!We should be more focused on the 'trickle-down' effect of such fast-paced growth.Not bandying numbers about that don't mean much to the average Joe
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Kx: 12:01pm On Sep 21, 2011
Another good economic performance on paper.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by russellino: 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
Whatever. My problem with this administratoon like the obj kingdom is that government is too big. How can you justify 74% recurrent expenditure going on salaries and allowances. That's sinfully wasteful
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by blacksta(m): 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2011
Kx:

Another good economic performance[b] on paper[/b].

What shame that it cant translate from paper to reality shocked
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by werepeLeri: 12:10pm On Sep 21, 2011
doomsday prophets dont want to hear these figures. Well done sir.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Gbawe: 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2011
Nigeria is the land of deceit. Many experts analysts , writing in Nigerian newspapers, have debunked this talk of "economic growth" as lies "totally contradicted by the realities on the ground".
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by welovethee(m): 12:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
The journey of a thousand mile begins with a step. These are good signs that progress is eminent.
GEJ CARRY GO!!!
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Demdem(m): 12:27pm On Sep 21, 2011
Honestly, too much grammar from the President.
Rice, beans, Garri, Pepper, Yam, Fish, Meat, transport fare, Accommodation cost etc is increasing by the day. GEJ, what can you say to that?
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Pukkah: 12:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
welovethee:

The journey of a thousand mile begins with a step. These are good signs that progress is eminent.
GEJ CARRY GO!!!

Not so fast brother. This does not mean that progress is imminent. Does a father's salary increase necessarily mean that his child will get a better education? Let's move past the weaknesses of statistics and ask for human development indices that really affect our lives.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Pukkah: 12:37pm On Sep 21, 2011
werepeLeri:

doomsday prophets dont want to hear these figures. Well done sir.

This is not a case of doomsday prophets. It is also hasty to say well done to anyone based on inflation rates without finding out the goal. The objective of curtailing the rate and the result is what we should know and assess. Rates - inflation, interest, exchange - are not an end in themselves but means to an end.

Honestly, it's hard to say which one is better for an economy between inflation and deflation since it all depends on what the government wants to achieve at a particular point in time. There are pros and cos for the two phenomena and we should not lose sight of this fact before we applaud any reported case of falling prices (no matter how theoretical).

In an economy, stability is what matters and not persistent increase or decrease in price level.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by agabaI23(m): 1:03pm On Sep 21, 2011
The manipulation of figures was what gave rise to <$1 to N1 before 1986
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by digi101(m): 1:26pm On Sep 21, 2011
Will someone pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssee tell "Uncle Joe" to stop this statics abracadabra before Hungry people in the land pounce on him grin
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by werepeLeri: 1:54pm On Sep 21, 2011
ONCE AGAIN - WELL DONE SIR.

DOOMSDAY PROPHETS ARE WETTING THEIR PANTS ALREADY.

MAY WE SEE MORE BETTER THINGS AND DAYS AHEAD SIR.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by badmrkt(m): 2:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
i'm impressed by this,but NLs can't we ever be optimistic for once?@times i get tired how some of us react to certain issues.that we'r like this today doesn't mean will not get to the ''PROMISE LAND''and that can be achieved the moment we start appreciating our little efforts.please lets appreciate our leaders for once this only can boost their morals to do more, GJE well done sir,we expect more from you.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Demdem(m): 2:39pm On Sep 21, 2011
Na today inflation rate dey go up and down? abegiii make we hear word jare. We are simply tired of paper achievements. Right now, we we only believe what we can see and feel. Below is my earlier response:
Demdem:

Honestly, too much grammar from the President.
Rice, beans, Garri, Pepper, Yam, Fish, Meat, transport fare, Accommodation cost etc is increasing by the day. GEJ, what can you say to that?
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by EkoIle1: 2:44pm On Sep 21, 2011
Must these mean spirited liars and clowns continue to fool and ridicule Nigerians? Do they really think Nigerians don't know what the reality is on the ground?
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by PointB: 2:58pm On Sep 21, 2011
This is a great development. Gej economic team certainly know their stuff. The improvemnet in inflation at a time the power supply marginally improved is a indicator a synergy in government administrative process. Now throw an increase in GDP into the mix at time when world economy is approaching the 'danger zone', you wil begin to understand why the president is in jubilant mode. Spain, greece, italy, and host of other countries will do anything to claim such fantastic news. For all the so-called odechukwusm, here is a man who know what he is doing. Kudo Mr president and his A Team, I doff my hat for you sir!
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by ksam(m): 3:02pm On Sep 21, 2011
badmrkt:

i'm impressed by this,but NLs can't we ever be optimistic for once?@times i get tired how some of us react to certain issues.that we'r like this today doesn't mean will not get to the ''PROMISE LAND''and that can be achieved the moment we start appreciating our little efforts.please lets appreciate our leaders for once this only can boost their morals to do more, GJE well done sir,we expect more from you.
abeg help me tell them.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2011
You are Good GEJ. I know Northerner Wil never see Something Good in You
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by DrummaBoy(m): 3:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
GEJ=Beaf=Point B=werepeleri=badmrkt

When U ballance the above equation U'll understand better what GEJ is saying!
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by damola1: 3:48pm On Sep 21, 2011
olosi, mumu,

Oh,  I have fixed ore road,  God bless you sir,

Oh,  Ogun state now have electricity ,  24/7,, next is bayelsa or kano or even lagos,   God bless you sir,  we thank you sir,

oh,  Water is now running everywhere,  Yes sir, yours will be better, that of your family will forever be better,  eku ise,

ode is giving us figures we cannot verify or has no impact on our lives,
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 21, 2011
Yes, it is true that inflation rate overall has fallen to single-digits, but I think it is necessary, lest we fall into the trap of unnecessary complacency and back-patting, to remind ourselves that core inflation, which is inflation adjusted for the effects of volatile commodities like energy and food prices, is still above 11 percent. Also, our economic growth has failed to impact the majority of Nigerians because it has been largely concentrated in industries such as trading and oil and gas, industries which are not particularly known for creating jobs on a large scale. Our apparent macroeconomic progress is also accompanied by a structural imbalance which has ensured that the increase in national wealth is only circulated among a minuscule percentage of the population, leaving the vast majority without any benefits whatsoever. Thus, most Nigerians have not felt the impact of economic growth.

For this "growth" to be truly felt by Nigerians, the emphasis of government must be shifted from merely increasing GDP at an aggregate level to ensuring that the growth occurs more in the job-creating sectors of the economy, particularly manufacturing. This cannot occur without structural changes, a buoyant agriculture/mining sector to provide necessary inputs, self-sufficiency in refining oil, favourable trade laws and investment climate, a sound transport network that will emphasise rail over road transport, and, last but not least, steady and reliable power supply. These necessary conditions, along with sufficient conditions such as safety and security of lives and property, improved skill levels of the populace, improved health care delivery and improved attitude of the leaders and the led are among the necesary structural changes that government must lead the way in bringing about before Nigeria as  a nation can truly begin to make progress and fulfil its potential. Anything outside of these will be simply superficial.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by werepeLeri: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2011
God bless you sir.

What you have started, may all the doomsday prophets never live to witness it. Amen
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Greenslim: 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2011
No signs for economy growth in my area.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Pukkah: 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
It is a pity what long years of military rule and deprivation have reduced Nigerians to.  Those years of the locust have produced a band of unthinking sycophants who praise-sing any government in power (AGIP) at the drop of a hat.

If you are holding any office and you want to fail, just surround yourself with a couple of those 'the king does no wrong' palace courtiers and jesters.  They will goad you to your waterloo.  Driven by pecuniary benefits and filthy lucre, and sometimes by stark ignorance or inexperience, they would not experience any pang of conscience before they 'praise' you to failure.  With 'friends' like them, you would not need any enemy. They coin aliases for you and refer to you as their 'saviour' or 'my MD', 'my Chairman', 'my Governor', 'my President', even when they know you are making mistakes or not performing.

They would praise you for everything you do for the state or company as if it was your personal money you are spending or as if the position was forced on you.  They do not mind to cast people with dissenting but genuine opinions as detractors, sometimes even going to the unthinkable, ridiculous, and barbaric extent of heaping curses or insults on them.

May God save you, in case you find yourself holding an important private or public office, and indeed Nigeria, and myself too, from such unconscionable souls. Amen.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Kolababa: 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2011
Secondary school students in America are far better than some graduates on this nairaland. When your government tells you anything, as an intelectual, you have to verify the reality of the paper acheivements they are giving with what is on ground having known our government in Nigeria for brandishing figures that you cannot see. Clapping for GEJ on this is like dancing round the street for hearing that $16 billion has been budgetted for power supply that power will soon be stable. I read it on New York Times sometimes ago how secondary school students were analysing and criticising budget. But in Nigeria, the semi illiterates that call themselves graduates will continue clapping when they know that the government is telling lies. The problem with our politicians in Nigeria is that they dont know the difference between matter of national urgency/seriousness and political gimmicks. The Education minister told us last year that the standard of education had risen by 37% but the mass failure in WAEC and NECO get worsens every year and i know the sombis on this nairaland will clap when they hear this figure from the education minister.
WHO IS DECEIVING WHO?
That is why when our past leaders were calling themselves fools, somebody said that those people they ruled are also fools.
FOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE RULED BY BIG FOOLS.tes that call themselves graduates will continue clapping when they know that the government is telling lies. The problem with our politicians in Nigeria is that they dont know the difference between matter of national urgency/seriousness and political gimmicks. The Education minister told us last year that the standard of education had risen by 37% but the mass failure in WAEC and NECO get worsens every year and i know the sombis on this nairaland will clap when they hear this figure from the education minister.
WHO IS DECEIVING WHO?
That is why when our past leaders were calling themselves fools, somebody said that those people they ruled are also fools.
FOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE RULED BY BIG FOOLS.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Pukkah: 6:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
Kolababa:

Secondary school students in America are far better than some graduates on this nairaland. When your government tells you anything, as an intelectual, you have to verify the reality of the paper acheivements they are giving with what is on ground having known our government in Nigeria for brandishing figures that you cannot see. Clapping for GEJ on this is like dancing round the street for hearing that $16 billion has been budgetted for power supply that power will soon be stable. I read it on New York Times sometimes ago how secondary school students were analysing and criticising budget. But in Nigeria, the semi illiterates that call themselves graduates will continue clapping when they know that the government is telling lies. The problem with our politicians in Nigeria is that they dont know the difference between matter of national urgency/seriousness and political gimmicks. The Education minister told us last year that the standard of education had risen by 37% but the mass failure in WAEC and NECO get worsens every year and i know the sombis on this nairaland will clap when they hear this figure from the education minister.
WHO IS DECEIVING WHO?
FOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE RULED BY BIG FOOLS.tes that call themselves graduates will continue clapping when they know that the government is telling lies. The problem with our politicians in Nigeria is that they dont know the difference between matter of national urgency/seriousness and political gimmicks. The Education minister told us last year that the standard of education had risen by 37% but the mass failure in WAEC and NECO get worsens every year and i know the sombis on this nairaland will clap when they hear this figure from the education minister.
WHO IS DECEIVING WHO?
FOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE RULED BY BIG FOOLS.

Thank you jare.

So much education, yet no enlightenment.
So much religion, yet no godliness.
So much activity, yet no movement.
So much growth, yet no development.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by Kolababa: 6:37pm On Sep 21, 2011
@ werepeleri
This is not the issue of being pessimistic or been a dooms prophet. Nigerians dont believe their leaders any longer because of their antecedents. Unless you dont want to be objective, politicians in Nigeria believe in political gimmicks than factual and realistic analysis. I remember when Obasanjo went to commission Papalanto power station, he said power generation had risen to something above 5000 MW with darkness everywhere. They will tell you that so so billions has been budgetted for massive road construction but to see our roads remain death trap as usual.
Pls dont blame anybody that raises question about the reality of figures giving to us.
Let me give you another one, when OBJ increase fuel price, he said that i dont know why people are saying they cannot pay N90 per litre if they can be buying ragolis or eva water that is not up to a litre N100. The question is "how many nigerians buy bottle water to eat every meal"? I dont blame him, he based his assumption on the figures the sycophants like those on nairaland were giving him.s been budgetted for massive road construction but to see our roads remain death trap as usual.
Pls dont blame anybody that raises question about the reality of figures giving to us.
Let me give you another one, when OBJ increase fuel price, he said that i dont know why people are saying they cannot pay N90 per litre if they can be buying ragolis or eva water that is not up to a litre N100. The question is "how many nigerians buy bottle water to eat every meal"? I dont blame him, he based his assumption on the figures the sycophants like those on nairaland were giving him.
Re: GEJ On The Inflation Rate And The Economy by PointB: 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2011
HNosegbe:

Yes, it is true that inflation rate overall has fallen to single-digits, but I think it is necessary, lest we fall into the trap of unnecessary complacency and back-patting, to remind ourselves that core inflation, which is inflation adjusted for the effects of volatile commodities like energy and food prices, is still above 11 percent. Also, our economic growth has failed to impact the majority of Nigerians because it has been largely concentrated in industries such as trading and oil and gas, industries which are not particularly known for creating jobs on a large scale. Our apparent macroeconomic progress is also accompanied by a structural imbalance which has ensured that the increase in national wealth is only circulated among a minuscule percentage of the population, leaving the vast majority without any benefits whatsoever. Thus, most Nigerians have not felt the impact of economic growth.

For this "growth" to be truly felt by Nigerians, the emphasis of government must be shifted from merely increasing GDP at an aggregate level to ensuring that the growth occurs more in the job-creating sectors of the economy, particularly manufacturing. This cannot occur without structural changes, a buoyant agriculture/mining sector to provide necessary inputs, self-sufficiency in refining oil, favourable trade laws and investment climate, a sound transport network that will emphasise rail over road transport, and, last but not least, steady and reliable power supply. These necessary conditions, along with sufficient conditions such as safety and security of lives and property, improved skill levels of the populace, improved health care delivery and improved attitude of the leaders and the led are among the necesary structural changes that government must lead the way in bringing about before Nigeria as  a nation can truly begin to make progress and fulfil its potential. Anything outside of these will be simply superficial.

Very insightful. But you should also acknowledge that alot of attention is being shift these day toward agriculture and it allied business.This shift is focus and strategy sure will have a direct effect on employment wealth creation, and better quality of live for the people. Hence I wont be surprise if the increase in GDP growth and drop in inflation is not as a direct result of effort in that direction. Regurgitating overused lines in every development should not be the case.

That said, I agree with you that more needed to done to ensure that progress made is not reversed and that more people benefit in the short and long term.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Graphic Photos: Train Cuts Man Into Pieces In Ibadan / See What Nigerians Expect Buhari To Do For Them. Picture . / Throwback Pictures Of H.E. Nyesom Wike And Rotimi Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.