Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,330 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT (34821 Views)

Ministerial Nominees: Osunbor, Mohammed May Make List / Aondoakaa Insists Tinubu Must Score 25% In FCT To Be Declared Winner / Senate Steps Down Bill To Include Rotation Of Power In Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by UnabashedIPOB: 12:34am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:

https://independent.ng/presidential-election-25-votes-in-fct-not-mandatory-senator-osunbor/

Yes, there is! And that part is Section 134 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which reads thus:

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election -

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where there being more than two candidates for the election-

(a) he has the highest number of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election of each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Based on the literal interpretation of the relevant section of your Constitution that deals with the issue, it means that whoever is declared the winner MUST also get 25% of the votes cast in 24 States as well as in the Federal capital territory. If you discount the "and" linking the two statements..." all the states in the federation" plus "the Federal Capital Territory, then, in essence, you MUST also discount the "and" between subsection 1(a) and (b) or 2 (a) and (b) of this section 134 of your Constitution. That means you need to only fulfill one of the two subsections either (a) or (b) and NOT both. So, if a candidate MUST fulfill both subsections 1 (a) and (b) of Section 134, they MUST also fulfill the requirements of getting 25% of VOTES cast in 24 states of the federation and also 25% of VOTES cast in the Federal Capital Territory.

"AND" is a conjunction. You use and to link two statements about events when one of the events follows the other.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Intrepid01(m): 12:36am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:
All the election riggers have united in support of Baba blue, the father of election rigging.

This guy's interpretation is really funny.

Make APC dey play. Let them not go and start preparing for rerun, like their internal memos have suggested. Let them continue petting Baba blue.
When Tribunal sacks them, them go dey alright.

You’ll still be the one to cry loud when the learned Judges at the tribunal decides to use their brain unlike you and your lots!

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by oyatz(m): 12:39am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:
All the election riggers have united in support of Baba blue, the father of election rigging.

Make APC dey play. Let them not go and start preparing for rerun, like their internal memos have suggested. Let them continue petting Baba blue.

This Distinguished Professor of Law, Two Term Law maker and a Fmr Governor is far more knowledgeable about the Constitution than you.

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by oyatz(m): 12:42am On Apr 15, 2023
Afamsi:
Illiterate prof kindly tell us why federal capital was mentioned in that rule since it is included in the 2/3 of the states of the federation. Why was your state not mentioned. Does this dullard know the purpose of ' AND ' in a sentence? I feel that he bought that professorial degree. This man ought to be a primary school teacher.

Nigeria has 36 States and 1FCT.

36 States and the FCT (taken together) = Nigeria
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 12:43am On Apr 15, 2023
Yusufisraelj:

I read you correctly. INEC is trying to change the goal post in the midst of the game, FCT is not a state, it's called federal capital territory an appointed administrator runs it and not an elected official (the FCT minister), so we can't say 37 states, that's incorrect by the constitution and public narrative. Except you can show me better.

If one can prove that FCT is a state then by all means Tinubu meets the criteria according to INEC's relooksults, which I believe is highly questionable.

That's the whole point. Seems you finally get it.
That statement can ONLY mean 24 states AND FCT. It leaves no room for further interpretation. It cannot mean 25 states. It cannot mean only 24 states either!

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by oyatz(m): 12:45am On Apr 15, 2023
PoliticalUpdate:
An Edo criminal should not interprete the constitution for us. The same man that tried to steal someone else's mandate - in the person of Adams Aliyu Oshoimole. Simple use of English would have interpreted the simple meaning of the conjunction "And" - meaning inclusive. To argue such is to try to sound foolish. The word "And" points to the fact that there is a special clause attached.
The capital of the federation is the melting pot of all local ethnicities in the federation. To get 2/3 in other states invariably means you will score 2/3 of the FCT; which is made up of all tribes. Every past president who scored majority of the votes during past elections all won the FCT. Many are trying to overlook the relevance of the FCT - which is an indicator to know if you were accepted by all quarters of the nation. To score 2/3 of states means a larger part of the populace wants you to rule them - that was the reason for the directive. So, if you didn't win Abuja, it means your votes were inflated or, a lie. This is actually Tinubu's greatest kryptonite, and the APC are trying to overlook it. If you didn't rig your way in then you would have won Abuja. I am for Justice not a party. Tinubu just came in at a wrong time, and he should have been advised against it, but FF Kolanut and co, are busy stealing his money - the same persons who have accussed him in the past.

Where did you get this funny idea from?

Not all tribes are in the FCT...it is just the seat of the Federal Government.
All votes are equal.

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by goslowgoslow(m): 12:45am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:

What is funny about the interpretation? Use your common sense and say something reasonable.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by komzy589(m): 12:57am On Apr 15, 2023
Afamsi:
Illiterate prof kindly tell us why federal capital was mentioned in that rule since it is included in the 2/3 of the states of the federation. Why was your state not mentioned. Does this dullard know the purpose of ' AND ' in a sentence? I feel that he bought that professorial degree. This man ought to be a primary school teacher.
The chairman and president of the occasion is here (this is talking about one person).
The chairman and the president of the occasion are here (two people).

AND can be used to talk about two different things under one condition.
Dude I know English Language is not easy, but the Prof is right.

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 1:18am On Apr 15, 2023
komzy589:

The chairman and president of the occasion is here (this is talking about one person).
The chairman and the president of the occasion are here (two people).

AND can be used to talk about two different things under one condition.
Dude I know English Language is not easy, but the Prof is right.

Very shallow reasoning.
To understand something just simplify it.
Here's the constitution simplified:
⅔ of the states, Imo, Edo, Rivers, and Abuja

What is the answer?
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by famology(m): 1:22am On Apr 15, 2023
The dullards called zombidientssss will never comprehend it. Soon they'll start insulting judges after the court judgement.

.....and the fct
...... and in the fct
Are two different things.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Redhot0007: 1:28am On Apr 15, 2023
Lies and lies. If 25% in Abuja was not necessary, it wouldn't have been mentioned at all in the expression. There is a difference between
1) 36 states of the federation only
2) 36 states of the federation without Abuja
3) 36 States of the federation with Abuja as a state
4) 36 states of the federation and Abuja
These statements are different balabulu people.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Picardor2: 1:29am On Apr 15, 2023
madridguy:
Some people go still argue the obvious fact.

Ppl that don't understand simple English and also has forgotten that the supreme court don interpret am before.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by pquaver(m): 1:38am On Apr 15, 2023
Ogene001:
Who is the governor of FCT? Mention the senatorial zones in FCT

Your answer lies in section 299.. Go there u will see its governor and all u seek
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Sheggy13(m): 1:39am On Apr 15, 2023
Vinnie2000:

No need to Argue with these APC zombies. sad

If I say The Solar System is made up of the Sun AND the 9 Planets.
Can anyone now say the Sun is the 10th Planet? 😏

Sun is DIFFERENT from the 9 Planets!
Abuja is DIFFERENT from the 36 states! 🙂

Tinubu will DEFINITELY FAIL in the Tribunal! smiley
At the bolded, if I use this statement: "You have to cover at least two-third of the solar system to be given an award", does it mean I must cover the sun compulsorily too? What if I covered 7 Planets without covering the sun, will I get same award? Now use this analogy and truthfully compare with the Nigerian situation, taking the Sun to mean FCT.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 1:52am On Apr 15, 2023
famology:
The dullards called zombidientssss will never comprehend it. Soon they'll start insulting judges after the court judgement.

.....and the fct
...... and in the fct

Sheggy13:

At the bolded, if I use this statement: "You have to cover at least two-third of the solar system to be given an award", does it mean I must cover the sun compulsorily too? What if I covered 7 Planets without covering the sun, will I get same award? Now use this analogy and truthfully compare with the Nigerian situation, taking the Sun to mean FCT.

The thing is, you people keep being dishonest instead of working to change the wording in the constitution.

What is the answer to:
"⅔ of the 36 planets and the Sun"

It can't be 25 planets, and it also can't be 24 planets.
Let's hear you HONESTLY answer the question yourself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 1:55am On Apr 15, 2023
famology:

.....and the fct
...... and in the fct

Sooo, genius, what is the answer, 25 states or 24 states?
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Sheggy13(m): 1:58am On Apr 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

The thing is, you people keep being dishonest instead of working to change the wording in the constitution.

What is the answer to:
"⅔ of the 36 planets and the Sun"

It can't be 25 planets, and it also can't be 24 planets.
Let's hear you HONESTLY answer the question yourself
Don't forget the statement "at least". So your question should be "at least 2/3 of the 36 Planets and the sun" which gives you at least 2/3 of 37 entities. That is 25 entities - either 25 Planets or 24 planets and the Sun.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 2:10am On Apr 15, 2023
Sheggy13:

Don't forget the statement "at least". So your question should be "at least 2/3 of the 36 Planets and the sun" which gives you at least 2/3 of 37 entities. That is 25 entities - either 25 Planets or 24 planets and the Sun.

I seem to he conversing with not too smart people here.
"At least" here is irrelevant. It simply means "You could get more but you can't get less". It contributes nothing to what we are discussing. You can totally ignore it.

⅔ of 37 entities is NOT 25, neither is it 24

Leaving you the ONLY possible correct answer:
24 planets and the Sun!
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by bayplus: 2:41am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:

Everybody suddenly becomes a professor of law interpreting to suit their wish like you like Datti

If a professor of law's interpretation is funny. Are you a lawyer?

By d time d supreme court dismissed all the Eluupee bogus prayers, you all will still come here to cry that Tinubu had bribed all the Justices to get d judgement in hid favour.

Even right now. Some Obidients are claiming that Tinubu and APC bribed the British immigratiin to embarass Obi. How low can people go!
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Iluvmycontr3: 3:09am On Apr 15, 2023
Afamsi:

I tire for that Prof oo.... They should let us also hear from CONSTITUTIONAL LAWYERS.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by PoliteActivist: 3:35am On Apr 15, 2023
bayplus:

Even right now. Some Obidients are claiming that Tinubu and APC bribed the British immigratiin to embarass Obi. How low can people go!

Nobody is claiming the above AT ALL, neither was Obi embarrassed. The embarrassment is rather on APC for hiring impersonators in attempt to implicate Obi in one thing or another!

1 Like

Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Jogs1900: 3:46am On Apr 15, 2023
ObaIgwe1:

Well I know Supreme Court will agree with Osunbor at the end of the day, but I can tell you for a fact that Obedients will still disagree with The Supreme Court and simply claim Tinubu bought them over.

I am not a fan of Tinubu but Obedients need to pause and reason logically and be objective.

Exactly ...We should reason logically and objectively.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Bellotelli: 4:19am On Apr 15, 2023
9jahotblog:

[ARCHIVES] Supreme Court upheld candidates must win 25% votes in 24 states, plus 25% in FCT in Buhari v Obasanjo [2005]

The clarity came from a Supreme Court ruling in a case involving Muhammadu Buhari of the then All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Olusegun Obasanjo of the then Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday, July 15, 2005.

In its ruling, the apex court had upheld that presidential candidates must win 25 per cent of all votes cast in 24 states, and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

READ: https://news.band/archives-supreme-court-upheld-candidates-must-win-25-votes-in-24-states-plus-25-in-fct-in-buhari-v-obasanjo-2005/
And what if I won 80% without the FCT grin
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Jeffy1206(m): 4:20am On Apr 15, 2023
Na mumu de talk sha! No body said win. Argument is, get 25% in the state you're going to live as president. Shikina 🤷
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by nkwoemeka(m): 4:43am On Apr 15, 2023
Nigerian professors and rigging of elections and interpretation of law.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by nelsonose: 5:17am On Apr 15, 2023
9jahotblog:

[ARCHIVES] Supreme Court upheld candidates must win 25% votes in 24 states, plus 25% in FCT in Buhari v Obasanjo [2005]

The clarity came from a Supreme Court ruling in a case involving Muhammadu Buhari of the then All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Olusegun Obasanjo of the then Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday, July 15, 2005.

In its ruling, the apex court had upheld that presidential candidates must win 25 per cent of all votes cast in 24 states, and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

READ: https://news.band/archives-supreme-court-upheld-candidates-must-win-25-votes-in-24-states-plus-25-in-fct-in-buhari-v-obasanjo-2005/

Having read the above judgement, I can see some sense in the claim that FCT is a separate and distinct entity from the Federating states and thus 25% vote win in it must be satisfied for a president to emerge.
This position having been held previously by the court, the court cannot now contradict itself in the present circumstances.
In summary, the direction of the upcoming court verdict is clear.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by zinosleek(m): 5:27am On Apr 15, 2023
Afamsi:

The And FCT is to insinuate that FCT will be regarded as other state.

Now, understand that FCT does not have a governor, house of assembly and others. So it does not operate like other states.

This inec has to put that AND FCT, so that it is regarded as a state in the electoral process.

People in FCT does not have 2 heads, so that they will double thier votes, or are they special that you must win FCT. If that's the case then na only FCT dey for just do presidential election na
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by zinosleek(m): 5:29am On Apr 15, 2023
Jeffy1206:
Na mumu de talk sha! No body said win. Argument is, get 25% in the state you're going to live as president. Shikina 🤷

So if he wins all the states except FCT, he cannot be president?
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by DoxxAnon: 5:30am On Apr 15, 2023
Ask any secondary school student who writes SSCE when they say a Pass in any 4 subjects and English Language.

The Pass in English is actually compulsory which is why it was not stated as a Pass in any 5 subjects.

How do you calculate 2/3 of 37? What is 0.666667 of a state?

#Ponderings
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by sumyvic: 5:39am On Apr 15, 2023
(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja

I seriously doubt Osunbor's certificates.
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by walexsho(m): 5:39am On Apr 15, 2023
9jahotblog:

Common primary school pupils will say "36states and the FCT" just because they know FCT is not a state but would have simply put it as 37states
but life can be so difficult for those whose reasoning has been covered with tribalism and sentiments.
you should have known the law can as well say 25% in 37state or 25% in 36states and FCT. so what's the problem in saying 25% in 24states and FCT. only stating here that FCT is not a state
Re: Prof Osunbor: No Place In Constitution That Says You Must Score 25% In FCT by Achievers81: 5:45am On Apr 15, 2023
ganisucks:

We you guys ever get sense? I doubt it because you have decided to be what you are due to your hatred.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Herdsmen And Their Cows Cause Commotion At BRT Lane In Lagos In Celebration Of P / NDDC: President Buhari sacks Pondei, appoints Interim Administrator / Peter Obi Takes His Campaign To Berger Suya, Lagos State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.