Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,194 members, 7,815,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia (1553 Views)

Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) / Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years / Hassan Rouhani Is Iran's Next President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia by Babasessy(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2011
Victoria station cleaner sweeps to victory as president of Zambia

A former London railway station worker has been elected as the next president of Zambia.

Michael Sata, a 74-year-old father of eight, used to sweep the platforms of Victoria station as an employee of British Rail.

Last night he was declared Zambia's new leader after beating President Rupiah Banda in a tight-run election marred by violence.

There were huge cheers from supporters as the national election commission announced Mr Sata won 1,150,045 votes to Mr Banda's 961,796, with 95.3 per cent of constituencies counted.

The Patriotic Front leader took 43 per cent of the votes in his fourth presidential bid. He lost by only two percentage points to Mr Banda, also 74, in 2008.

He consistently referred to his time in Britain working at Victoria, telling one interviewer: "I never got any complaints about my work. I want to sweep my country even cleaner than I swept the station."

Mr Sata, nicknamed King Cobra for his sharp tongue, won huge support among the urban poor on returning to Africa and starting his political career.

He first joined the Northern Rhodesia police force and, according to his website, was "the most senior African officer in the establishment".

When political change began to sweep the continent, Mr Sata - by then a trade unionist - joined the independence struggle in his country a year before its fruition.

He has campaigned as a pro-poor candidate in a nation where major foreign investment in rich copper deposits has brought few benefits for two thirds of the population, who have to live on less than two dollars a day.

He made his name campaigning against Chinese domination of the country's industry and the treatment of its workers.

President Banda's Movement for Multiparty Democracy had run Zambia for 20 years since the end of one-party rule in 1991.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23990211-victoria-station-cleaner-sweeps-to-victory-as-president-of-zambia.do

Re: London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia by MyJoe: 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2011
Congratulations to Mr Sata. This is a tribute to perseverence. Guy reminds you of Lula da Sylva in more ways than one. I'm keenly interested in how he handles the Chinese, as he made that a big issue during his campaign. He will soon learn the true meaning of globalisation and that the Chinese are a necessary evil around here.
Re: London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia by tpia5: 8:03pm On Sep 24, 2011
Very interesting.

Is he educated?

Being a cleaner doesnt necessarily mean soomeone is an illiterate.
Re: London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia by eddy1977(m): 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2011
Zambia is a very law conscious nation.those folks respect their constitution.
meet any zambian and you will know what i mean.
that country has a very bright future.

congratulations to his excellency,president sata.
i remembet when that guy was a member of the then ruling party,MMD.he has the charms of barack obama and the fire of sarah palin.
Re: London Victoria Station Cleaner Elected As The Next President Of Zambia by velo10: 10:21am On Oct 01, 2011
Great news. An ideal inspiration for many despite his old age.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Independence Day To The United States Of America;the Greatest . / VP Of Italian Senate To 1st Black Minister - "You remind me of an orangutan" / 44 Suspected Boko Haram Jihadis Found Dead In Chad Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.