Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,454 members, 7,846,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Morning Dews Devotionals - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Morning Dews Devotionals (3056 Views)

Christian Daily Devotional From Devotionals Bible / ROYAL HOUSE OF JESUS CHRISTIAN CENTRE (Today with JESUS Devotionals) / Daily Devotionals, Christian Dream Interpretation, Spiritual Warfare Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 13, 2023
Grace and confidence

“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence.” Heb 4:16 NIV

If you feel unworthy to approach God in prayer, stop and read these words: “Let us…approach God’s throne of grace with confidence…that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (v. 16 NIV). The word “grace” means “undeserved kindness, mercy, favor, and help when you need it.” Notice three important things: (1) When you need grace, you can approach God with complete confidence. Why? Because you’re coming to a throne of grace and mercy, not a throne of judgment. All your sins—past, present, and future—were paid for the moment Jesus said, “It is finished.” Satan, whom the Bible calls “the accuser,” wants you to feel condemned, guilty, and unworthy to approach God. But the moment you placed your trust in Christ, God clothed you in Christ’s righteousness. Therefore, you can always come to Him with confidence. (2) When you need more grace, pray more. God has all the grace needed to help you, but you must go before His throne and ask for it. A prayerless Christian is a graceless Christian. The Bible says, “Grow in grace” (2Pe 3:18), and if you’re not praying every day, you’re not growing in your spiritual life. So, what’s the answer? Spend more time hanging around the throne that dispenses grace. (3) God’s grace is given based on your need at that moment. He won’t give you tomorrow’s grace until tomorrow, so don’t bother asking for it. But don’t be concerned; the supply of grace you have in Christ will not run out tomorrow—or ever! That means you can’t wear out your welcome by going to the throne of grace too often.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 13, 2023
July 13 - Jesus and the Leper, Part 1

#LifeOfChrist

“When Jesus came down from the mountain, large crowds followed Him. And a leper came to Him and bowed down before Him, and said, ‘Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean’” (Matthew 8:1–2).

Leprosy was a most feared and contagious disease in the ancient world. Spongy, tumor-like swellings grew on the face and body, and eventually leprosy affected the internal organs and bones.

In ancient Israel lepers were vivid object lessons regarding sin. Like leprosy, sin infects the entire person (cf. Eph. 2:1) and is ugly, corrupting—incurable without extraordinary means.

Several things stand out about the leper who came to Jesus for healing. First, he came to Him with confidence. He obviously sensed Jesus’ love and tenderness and somehow knew the Lord did not mind associating with him. The leper’s primary concern was his tremendous need and Christ’s all-sufficient ability and willingness to meet it.

Second, the leprous man approached Jesus with reverence. His boldness in calling out to Jesus and coming near derived not from presumption but from humble adoration. The word rendered “bowed down” means to prostrate oneself and is also translated “worship” in the New Testament (cf. Acts 7:43; Rev. 4:10). The leper’s attitude suggests he addressed Jesus as Lord, not simply as “sir” but in recognition of His deity. He knew that as God’s Son, Jesus could heal his horrible disease.

Ironically, this man is a striking contrast to the Jewish leaders. They were always clean and lavishly attired, but inwardly were corrupt and unbelieving. The man with leprosy, on the other hand, was outwardly repulsive in appearance, but inwardly he was worshipful and full of sincere faith.

Ask Yourself

Noting the analogy between sin and leprosy, imagine if sin’s effects actually did show themselves on our faces and skin. How would this affect our behavior and obedience? What does that tell us about the deceitfulness of sin and how to counteract it?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 15, 2023
July 15 - Jesus’ Touch and Instantaneous Healing

#LifeOfChrist

“Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, ‘I am willing; be cleansed.’ And immediately his leprosy was cleansed” (Matthew 8:3).

The Mosaic law forbade the Jews from touching lepers, because they were unclean (Lev. 5:3) and would expose healthy people to ceremonial and physical contamination. But lepers, in their social ostracism, yearned for even a brief, up-close contact with another person besides a fellow leper.

Jesus could have healed this man with just a single word, but He made a point of touching him. This action was truly amazing—not in a spectacular, sensational manner, but simply because the Son of Man would lovingly reach out and reach down to touch an outcast of outcasts as no one else would.

The Lord bestowed instantaneous healing: “immediately his leprosy was cleansed.” When He touched the man’s defiled body, his disease simply disappeared. (Christ could have chosen to heal in stages, as He sometimes did [Mark 8:22–26; John 9:6–7], but there was no necessity to do so.) The picture for the eyewitnesses would have been dramatic. A bent-over, withered derelict, with skin ravaged by scaly, ugly sores, would suddenly stand up. His limbs were now perfectly normal, his face smooth and unscarred, his eyes clear and bright, and his voice strong and confident.

Modern medical science, with all its wonderful expertise and abilities to cure, can never equal the miraculous restoration Jesus provided.

Ask Yourself

Are there certain people you are wary of touching—either by physical embrace or even eye contact? What gives us the right of being too good or polished or educated or privileged to look lovingly into the face of another, to offer ourselves and our acceptance?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 16, 2023
Old Dog, New Tricks
I will be your God throughout your lifetime—until your hair is white with age.

Isaiah 46:4

My brother, Jim, is a dog whisperer. His work is living proof that you really can teach old dogs new tricks. Take the dog that kept running away or the one that jumped up on people or the one that got into fights or the one that peed every time someone rang the doorbell. Jim has helped these and a host of other dogs overcome behaviors that make it difficult for dogs and owners to live in peace.

Though I don’t mean to insult the Holy Spirit by comparing him to a dog whisperer, even if the latter is my brother, I do want to make the point that the Spirit can help us respond to God throughout the course of our lifetime, regardless of how old or young we may be. That means you and I always have the opportunity to grow in peace, not because of any brilliance on our part but because of the brilliant help God is willing to give.

I was reminded of this yesterday. With my earphones plugged in so I wouldn’t miss a word of my favorite Masterpiece Theatre program, I couldn’t help but notice that my daughters kept coming into the room to talk to me for one reason or another. One was whining about an upcoming dentist appointment. The other wanted to know where the nail polish was. Then the two started arguing. Finally, long past bedtime, my youngest came in triumphantly displaying a tooth she had just pulled and asked if the tooth fairy would please deliver. You get the picture.

Before giving in to the usual temptation to let my irritation mount along with each new interruption, I had a sudden thought. What if all these interruptions were more than they appeared to be? What if they were simple opportunities for me to offer guidance, correction, or in the case of the tooth, celebration? So each time, off came the headphones as I responded to the situation at hand.

It was a small thing, true. But what if I could adopt the approach that every unwanted interruption is an opportunity in disguise? What if I could recognize them as the Holy Spirit whispering to me, inviting me to go deeper into the ways of God?

Lord, please help me respond to everyday frustrations in a way that enables me to serve others and draw closer to you.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2023
How do you raise a juvenile delinquent?

“Sow the wind, and reap the whirlwind.” Hos 8:7 NKJV

According to one Christian leader, here is how: “(1) When your child is still an infant, give him everything he wants. This way he will think the world owes him a living. (2) When he picks up swearing and off-colored jokes, laugh at him, encourage him. As he grows up, he will pick up cuter phrases that will floor you. (3) Never give him any spiritual training. Wait until he is twenty-one and let him decide for himself. (4) Avoid using the word ‘wrong.’ It will give your child a guilt complex. Later, when he is arrested for stealing a car, [he will think] that society is against him and he is being persecuted. (5) Pick up after him—his books, shoes, and clothes. Do everything for him so he will be experienced in throwing all responsibility onto others. (6) Let him read all the printed material he can get his hands on—[don’t monitor his internet use or TV programs]. Sterilize the silverware, but let him feast his mind on garbage. (7) Quarrel frequently in his presence, and then he won’t be too surprised when his home is broken up later. (cool Satisfy his every craving for food, drink, and comfort. Every sensual desire must be gratified; denial may lead to harmful frustrations. (9) Give your child all the spending money he wants. Don’t make him earn his own. Why should he have things as tough as you did? (10) Take his side against neighbors, teachers, and policemen; they’re all against him. (11) When he gets into real trouble, make up excuses for yourself by saying, ‘I could never do anything with him; he’s just a bad seed.’ (12) Prepare for a life of grief.”
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 18, 2023
Think carefully before you speak

“Talk too much, and you are done for.” Pr 13:3 CEV

Here is a Bible verse we should all commit to memory: “Keep what you know to yourself, and you will be safe; talk too much, and you are done for” (v. 3 CEV). Simply put, your tendency to speak without thinking will keep getting you into trouble. The story is told of a vacuum cleaner salesman who had been given a remote rural area as his territory. He was going from farmhouse to farmhouse on his first day on the job, attempting to sell vacuum cleaners. As he arrived at one farmhouse, he knocked on the door and was met by a farmer’s wife who asked him what he wanted. Without asking permission, he shoved right past her into the kitchen and said, “I’m selling vacuum cleaners.” Shocked, she replied, “Wait a minute!” But he demanded, “Ma’am, before you say anything, I want to show you something.” Then he reached into his bag, pulled out a pail of dirt, and threw it across her kitchen floor. “If my vacuum cleaner won’t pick up all that dirt,” he bragged, “then I’ll eat it!” She looked at him and said, “Then you better get busy, ’cause we ain’t got no electricity!” How often we have to eat the words we so recklessly toss on the floor of everyday living! Be careful. Jesus said one day we will give an account for every idle word we speak (See Mt 12:36). An unknown poet wrote, “Be careful of the words you say and keep them soft and sweet. You never know from day to day which ones you’ll have to eat.” So unless you want to eat your words, think carefully before speaking.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 19, 2023
God blesses hard work, not laziness

“The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” 2Th 3:10 NIV

Compassion without accountability is just indulgence. The Bible teaches that we have a responsibility to feed those who are truly hungry and can’t provide for themselves. But let’s face it, there are some folks who would rather go hungry than go to work. Solomon writes, “Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger” (Pr 19:15 NKJV). Centuries later the apostle Paul was even more explicit: “For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: ‘The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.’” Listen to what Solomon says about the sluggard: “The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting” (Pr 12:27 NKJV). “A lazy man buries his hand in the bowl, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again” (Pr 19:24 NKJV). Talk about laziness! He wants his bread buttered, but he wants someone else to butter it for him. If he kills a deer while he is hunting, he won’t even clean the meat and cook it; he wants someone else to cook it for him and serve it to him. What’s the Bible talking about here? It’s talking about the person who never starts a job; and if you give them one, they either won’t finish it or they will do it only halfway. Then Solomon wraps it all up in one final zinger. “The desire of the lazy man kills him, for his hands refuse to labor” (Pr 21:25 NKJV). There are no two ways about it; if you want God’s blessing on your life, you have to be willing to work!
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 20, 2023
TO READ: 2 Peter 3:8-18

The Day of the Lord

But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief. Then the heavens will pass away with a terrible noise, and everything in them will disappear in fire, and the earth and everything on it will be exposed to judgment.2 Peter 3:10
When Saddam Hussein, the Iraqi dictator, decided to occupy Kuwait, a coalition of nations decided he should be evicted and punished. The ancient city of Baghdad was subjected to a massive aerial bombardment, and television showed pictures of “smart bombs” hurtling with devastating accuracy into selected targets. People around the world watched from the comfort of their own homes. But there was little comfort in the homes of Saddam’s troubled people—for them, the “fireworks display” was destruction and devastation.

So it will be in the “day of the Lord.” The prophet Joel said the day of the Lord will be “an awesome, terrible thing” (Joel 2:11). But Peter, preaching in Jerusalem, called it “that great and glorious day of the Lord” (Acts 2:20). Which will it be—great and glorious or awesome and terrible? It will depend entirely where you’re sitting. Those who are safe and secure in Christ’s salvation will rejoice as they are introduced to the full glory of his presence for all eternity; those who are not in Christ will experience the awesome, terrifying judgment of God.

Many men struggle when faced with these weighty truths. Will God really bring fiery judgment on his own creation? Does he intend to create “new heavens and new earth?” Will people really perish in the coming judgment? When will all this happen?

The timing of the “day of the Lord” is a secret known only to God. We are certain that the great day will happen. We are uncertain about the timing (2 Pet. 3:10). Why the uncertainty? Why didn’t God tell us when it will happen? Perhaps because he knows human nature! Those people who have suffered for the sake of God’s Kingdom and who have endured because they have hoped for his speedy return would likely have despaired. And those who have had little interest in reaching the perishing would have had even less interest if they had known that the Lord was not about to return. And since we are selfish people, we might have lived as we wished until the last minute before getting around to being what we should have been!

These things seemed to be on Peter’s mind when he said that the promise of the day of the Lord, and the uncertainty of its timing, should stimulate us to “holy, godly lives” (3:11). We should “look forward” to this great event, and the anticipation should inspire us to “hurry it along” (3:12). Of one thing we can be sure—”the day of the Lord will come”!
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 21, 2023
Kindness: A Thing of the Past?

Dear Diary:

I’m really not a journal-writing type of person . . . but I’m bored so I decided to jot some thoughts down.

I’ve heard it a million times: “Be kind to one another.” And I’ve read it over and over again in the Bible. But this morning, during my quiet time, I read it once again, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Am I kind?

I mean . . . what specifically have I done to show kindness to someone in the past week? Month? Okay . . . year?

Pretty pathetic, huh, Diary? I’m self-centered and rarely take time to think of others.

But I’m not gonna stay this way! I’m asking God to help me become more deliberate in my actions. I want to be kind.

So I’m gonna start now . . . by listing some easy stuff I can do during the next few weeks to show kindness to others. Then I’ll check each one off after I do it.

–Write Mom and Dad a note and tell them how much I love them.

–Pick up leaves in Mrs. Tucker’s yard.

–Take a doggie treat to the Saint Bernard down the street.

–Send an appreciation card to my youth leader.

–Say something nice to one of my teachers.

–Find someone who doesn’t have many friends and talk to him or her.

–Smile at someone I don’t know.

–Clean the house without being asked.

–Cook dinner for my family one evening.

–Call someone who hasn’t been to church or youth group in a few weeks and tell her she is missed.

Know It!
Non-Christians will notice something positive and different about you if you treat those around you kindly. Decide right now to become someone who develops a lifestyle of kindness.
Read It!
Psalm 86:5; Proverbs 14:31; 19:17; Ephesians 4:32; 1 Thessalonians 5:15
Pray It!
Tell God you don’t want to just talk about kindness and love, you want to live it! Ask him to help you think of specific ways to be kind.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 1:05am On Jul 22, 2023
July 22: Showing Kindness to a Stranger

#Devotional

2 Samuel 9:1–10:19; 1 Peter 5:1–14; Psalm 138:1–8

When I was a teenager, I became serious about showing unsolicited kindness while working through a 30-day intensive devotional. The devotional required me to record an act of kindness each day. My efforts included things as mundane as taking out the trash before being asked and closing schoolmates’ lockers to prevent them from becoming the victims of pranks. Although the acts were simple, and mostly meaningless, the effort taught me a discipline. Kindness should be intentional, not random. But what if your kindness stems from guilt?

In 2 Samuel 9, King David shows intentional kindness to Ziba, Saul’s servant, and Mephibosheth, Jonathan’s son, by offering them Saul’s land after Saul and Jonathan have died. It’s hard to know why David does this, especially since it puts him at risk—his association with the previous regime could anger his warriors, who fought against Saul. Is David merely being a good guy? Does he feel guilty because Jonathan, who had been so loyal to him, died in battle? Is he trying to establish that he is a merciful ruler? Does he have other political motives? The question of David’s motive evokes another one: Why do we treat others well?

Peter addressed this question of motive in his first letter, in which he exhorts ministers to “Shepherd the flock of God among you [being the people of the church], exercising oversight not by compulsion but willingly, in accordance with God” (1 Pet 5:2). He points out that if we are moved by compulsion, our motives are probably wrong.

There are times I wonder whether I treat others well because I subconsciously think that it will earn me points with them or with God. I battle this—it’s something we should all fight against. The state of the heart when helping others is every bit as important as the act itself.

What motivates your acts of kindness? What pure, kind, and intentional act can you perform todays?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 22, 2023
July 22 - The Convincing Nature of Jesus’ Healing Ministry

#LifeOfChrist

“This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: ‘He Himself took our infirmities and carried away our diseases’” (Matthew 8:17).

Jesus Christ died for the sins of all who trust Him, yet believers still sin. By His resurrection He conquered death, yet Christians still die. He overcame suffering and illness, yet believers still have pain and disease. Jesus’ main purpose in the atonement was to conquer sin and death, not just to conquer physical suffering. That latter fulfillment is still in the future (cf. Rom. 8:22–25; 13:11).

It is hard to argue that Jesus’ healing ministry and crucifixion now mean that Christians should no longer expect illness. If that argument is true, then we should expect not to die—but that’s false. Again, the gospel is all about forgiveness from sin, not deliverance from disease (cf. 1 Peter 2:24).

In view of the convincing nature of Jesus’ healing ministry, it’s hard to understand why anyone who heard or saw any of those miracles would not receive Him. It is especially hard to fathom that God’s own people, with all their special blessings—the law, the prophets, the covenant—would mostly reject the Son of their God. But from the outset of Christ’s incarnation, John speaks of this rejection: “Those who were His own did not receive Him” (John 1:11).

Any denial of Jesus flies in the face of the facts, whether such unbelief was by people in Jesus’ day or by skeptics today. As His healing ministry progressed, the proofs of His divinity, power, mercy, and goodness became obvious beyond contradiction. They all demand a saving faith in the one true Savior and Lord.

Ask Yourself

How do you think you would have responded to the ministry of Christ, had you been there to witness it firsthand? Are the reasons for doubting Him today any different than they were then?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 22, 2023
Evangelize or fossilize (2)

“The Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” Ac 2:47 NKJV

The church has only two options: evangelize or fossilize. When we fail to share our faith with those outside the church, we either end up in a holding pattern or in death throes. The New Testament church’s growth is described in these words: “The Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.” Not only did they influence every level of society, but their enemies said, “These who have turned the world upside down have come here too” (Ac 17:6 NKJV). Question: If your church closed its doors tomorrow, would anyone other than your congregation notice the difference? Think about those early believers. Their assignment seemed geographically impossible; most people still believed the world was flat. They had no air travel, radio, television, printing presses, internet, or any other modern means at their disposal for communicating the gospel. It seemed legally impossible; they were forbidden by the government authorities to speak in Jesus’ name. And it seemed socially impossible; after all, who would really listen to a bunch of Galileans, devoid of culture and class? Yet they were witnesses through the power of the Holy Spirit, and people did listen. They did so much with so little, and we seem to do so little with so much. It’s reckoned that if just 10 percent of the members in the average church got serious about evangelism, their church would double in one year. By the way, the word translated “witness” is the same word from which we get our English word martyr. These early believers reached the world for Christ because they were willing to lay down their lives for His cause. You must be too.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2023
The Spirit of Praise

Let them all praise the name of the Lord. For his name is very great; his glory towers over the earth and heaven!Psalm 148:13
This psalm is an expression of corporate praise at its highest: angels, stars and skies, mountains and hills, wild animals, kings and rulers, all people everywhere, even old men and children—all are commanded to praise the name of the Lord. Why? Because each of these are expressions of his grandeur and glory! Because every created thing in heaven and on earth exists because God spoke them into existence and sustains them by the word of his power! This is the spirit of praise that we will all be ushered into when every knee will bow at Christ’s second coming. That is a wondrous thought, but this psalm is also a call to us today to get caught up in the spirit of praise, which is continually going on in heaven. Read this psalm aloud to God and ask the Spirit to give you great freedom in praising him today.

LORD, I join all heaven in praise to you. Lift me up to that realm where the focus is concentrated on you alone. Your glory towers over the earth and heaven! Your name is great. May my heart and voice offer you the praise your glory deserves!

In praise my soul ascends to self-forgetting adoration, seeing and praising only the majesty and power of God, his grace and redemption.
Ole Hallesby (1879–1961)

The One Year Bible Readings for today are 2 Kings 17:1–18:12; Acts 20:1-38; Psalm 148:1-14 and Proverbs 18:6-7.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 24, 2023
A Moment of Silence

Read Psalms 46:1–49:20

1God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. 2So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. 3Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge! . . . 8Come, see the glorious works of the Lord: See how he brings destruction upon the world. 9He causes wars to end throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and snaps the spear; he burns the shields with fire. 10“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” 11The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress.Psalm 46:1-3, 8-11
In metropolitan areas, you might find a sliver of quiet in the early morning hours; to get a taste of true silence, however, you have to go to more rural areas. Have you ever heard the difference? True silence contains no background noise at all. No one is driving by, shouting, or honking, and there is no hum and buzz of a thousand little noises in the distance. There are few places left on earth where you can truly experience silence.

Psalm 46 invites us to sample some silence. Read and consider it, even if you value the hustle and bustle of the big city. Silence allows us to meditate on God’s goodness and the other lessons in this reading, such as his lordship over the whole world (Psalm 47) and his role as our guide and protector (Psalm 48).

God is almighty and all-powerful. Psalm 46 says “God’s voice thunders, and the earth melts” (46:6). God has far greater power than even the most powerful forces of nature (46:2-3) or of humankind (46:6, 9). How fitting, then, for us to show him some respect—to stand quietly before him, reverently honoring him and his power and majesty (46:10).

With life’s busyness and burdens weighing us down, why should we take the time to stand still? What is the benefit of being silent before God? Spending time in silence is an opportunity to forget about all of the worldly distractions that keep us from entering into God’s presence. It’s an opportunity to focus on God’s goodness, mercy, might, and power.

Take time each day to experience silence, and use it to ponder the awesome greatness of God. Be still and silent before God so that you can exalt him. Let silence give you the opportunity to worship.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 25, 2023
July 25: The Difficult Issue of the Heretics

#Devotional

2 Samuel 14:1–15:37; 2 Peter 1:16–21; Psalm 141:1–142:7

Distinguishing between correct and false teaching has plagued nearly every church. We ask questions such as, “Are we venturing too far in that direction?” “Is this just my personal theological issue, or is this actually a big deal?” “Should I be concerned about that, or is it simply a matter of individual choice?” Thankfully, the not clarifies many of these issues for us.

Throughout Peter’s second letter, he addresses the challenge of warding off false teachers; he aims to defend the gospel and explain why the false teachers’ claims are incorrect. To do so, Peter hinges his argument on his own experience—on what he witnessed. In his case, arguing from a personal witness makes sense: Peter actually knew Jesus.

He writes, “For we did not make known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ by following ingeniously concocted myths, but by being eyewitnesses of that one’s majesty. For he received honor and glory from God the Father when a voice such as this was brought to him by the Majestic Glory, ‘This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased’ ” (2 Pet 1:16–17). For Peter, orthodoxy comes down to the foundation of the claims being made about Jesus and whether Christ is being proclaimed as Lord and as God’s Son.

Peter isn’t willing to put up with false prophecy, testimony, or teaching (see 2 Pet 2). To show how absurd the false teachers’ claims are, Peter proclaims, “every prophecy of scripture does not come about from one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke of God” (2 Pet 1:20–21).

Correct and incorrect teaching can be distinguished based on the source of the words being spoken and whether they align with what was taught by eyewitnesses (like Peter). Although this isn’t a complete guide for distinguishing between what God approves and what He doesn’t, it gives us a good start to ward off basic false teachings and focus on the truth instead. Next time we come to the difficult question of “Is this heresy?” we can ask “What would Peter think?”

What issues is your church struggling with? How can you help investigate them in light of the claims made by not eyewitnesses like Peter?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 26, 2023
Thinking outside “the religious box” (1)

“I’m after mercy, not religion…to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.” Mt 9:13 MSG

Author Nicole Unice says the suspicions people have about Christians include, “They judge me. They are better than I am. They won’t approve of me. I won’t fit in with their religion. They are all serious and no fun. Jesus hung around enough parties for the Pharisees to accuse him of being a drunkard. He befriended forbidden women. He interacted with people so he could introduce them to his Father. He broke through stereotypes and communicated God as he is—approachable, merciful and graceful. The people who were most upset…were the ones who preferred…the rules of the religion…The concept of a free and joyful life with Jesus may seem basic for you. But is that what your neighbors think? It feels as comfortable as sweatpants to hang out with people who believe and feel as we do. Fellowship among believers is a wonderful gift. But if we are truly to follow Jesus’ example, we need to look for opportunities to engage those around us.” Jesus goes a step further: “Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick?…‘I’m after mercy, not religion.’ I’m here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.” How can you share the gospel if all your friends are Christians? Some of us have become so isolated and disconnected that we have no meaningful interaction whatsoever with nonbelievers. And the more time passes, the more insulated and comfortable we become, until eventually we lose touch with the very people Jesus came to save. Paul says, “Find common ground with [nonbelievers]…tell [them] about Christ…let Christ save [them]” (1Co 9:22 TLB). It’s called thinking outside “the religious box.”
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 26, 2023
Thinking outside “the religious box” (2)

“I have come to call…those who know they are sinners.” Mk 2:17 NLT

There is a difference between loving nonbelievers and loving their ways. Paul says, “Find common ground with everyone, doing everything [you] can to save some” (1Co 9:22 NLT). So: (1) Be courteous. “The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down” (Col 4:6 MSG). (2) Be genuine. “Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it” (Ro 12:9 MSG). Because Jesus found common ground with the woman at the well, she made peace with God, then brought her friends and family to meet Jesus (See Jn 4). You have to spend time around nonbelievers to introduce them to Christ. When Levi invited Jesus and His disciples as dinner guests with tax collectors and other disreputable sinners, the Pharisees asked, “‘Why does he eat with such scum?’…Jesus…told them…‘I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners’” (Mk 2:16-17 NLT). Author Mark Roberts observes: “Table fellowship signified deep intimacy. To eat with someone was to share in their life and to allow them into yours…The Pharisees, who were committed to the highest standards of ritual purity…expected Jesus to do as they did, keeping plenty of distance between themselves and questionable types who might compromise Jesus’ holiness.” Jesus didn’t see people as “scum,” and wasn’t concerned about maintaining a religious facade. He ate with sinners because they needed His help and were open to receive it. How about you? Are you willing to get your hands dirty? Are you more concerned with what people think about you than you are about those who need Christ?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 27, 2023
Worthy of Praise

I love you, Lord; you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold. I will call on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies.Psalm 18:1-3
Hunted and chased like an animal, David had been in terrible distress and danger, but God had preserved his life and rescued him. Because of God’s help, David hadn’t just survived; he had emerged victorious. So he sings Psalm 18, a psalm of thanksgiving for all God has done and for who he is to David. It is a great song of worship and praise for the Lord’s divine intervention in delivering David against all odds from his enemy Saul and for bringing David through his difficulties to a future and hope.

In singing God’s praises, David uses vivid metaphors: “my rock” (stability and security), “my shield” (the one who guards and keeps me safe), “the strength of my salvation” (my source of strength when I’m weak), and “my stronghold” (the place I can go for protection). In David’s darkest hour the Lord revealed himself in these ways, and he wants to reveal himself in our lives too—right where we are in our distress, in the problems that try us, and in our victories. Ask him to reveal himself in whatever you’re facing today, and join David in praising the Lord who is “worthy of praise”!

LORD, when I am beset by difficulties, be my rock—my source of security in an uncertain world. In you alone I find protection. You are my stronghold; I need nothing else. Be my strength when I’m weak. Be my shield of protection from those who would harm me. Be the strength of my salvation when I call on you, and I will ever praise you because you are worthy.

God reveals himself unfailingly to the thoughtful seeker.
Honoré de Balzac (1799–1850)

The One Year Bible Readings for today are Genesis 41:17–42:17; Matthew 13:24-46; Psalm 18:1-15 and Proverbs 4:1-6
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 28, 2023
Countering Marriage Myths

You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.John 8:32
I want to share four myths that often destroy our motivation for working on our marriages. If I believe these myths, I will be in bondage, but the walls of my prison will really be made of paper. They can only hold me if I think they’re too strong for me to break through. Jesus told his hearers that when we know the truth, it will set us free. We can be free from these myths when we counter them with truth.

Myth #1: My state of mind and the quality of my marriage are determined by my environment.

The Truth: God can give peace of mind even in the worst of situations (see John 14:27). I can be God’s instrument for improving my marriage.

Myth #2: People cannot change.

The Truth: People do change every day, often dramatically. God is in the business of changing lives (see 2 Corinthians 5:17).

Myth #3: When you are in a bad marriage, you have only two options: be miserable or get out.

The Truth: You can be a positive change agent in your marriage (see Romans 12:2).

Myth #4: Some situations are hopeless.

The Truth: With God, no situation is hopeless (see Romans 15:13). He is the God of miracles. Focus your eyes on him rather than on your situation.

Lord God, thank you for the truth of your Word, which counters the lies we often believe. Please help me to cling to your truths—that change can happen, that nothing is hopeless, that you desire good for my marriage. Transform me, Lord, and give me a transforming love for my spouse.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:19am On Jul 30, 2023
You must take responsibility for your life

“We are each responsible for our own conduct.” Gal 6:5 NLT

Being accountable for yourself, your thoughts, and your actions is a very important part of being a contributing member in a relationship. But sometimes we take things too far by assuming an unhealthy responsibility for others, then using it as an excuse for not being accountable for ourselves and our own circumstances. For example, we blame an unplanned pregnancy for our failure to go to college. Or we blame our unhappiness on the fact that we stayed married for the sake of the children. We focus so much on other people and taking responsibility for their lives that we never take time to look for solutions to rise above our own situation. And eventually all the woe and hard times become our identity. We don’t just complain; we become chronic complainers. Let’s be honest, sometimes our tales of woe are simply excuses, made-up versions of the truth to hide the fact that we have decided to blame everyone else for our circumstances. That way we don’t have to take responsibility for our lives. The fact is, we all make choices in life; to go or stay, to confront or ignore, to complain or look for a solution. Whether it’s your spouse, your kids, or your parents, it’s never a good idea to take responsibility for others if you’re doing it to avoid deciding what you need to do for yourself. The Bible says, “Pay careful attention to your own work…then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct” (vv. 4-5 NLT).
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 30, 2023
July 30 - Jesus Rebukes the Faithless Disciples

#LifeOfChrist

“‘Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?’” (Matthew 8:26).

Sometimes events seem so obvious to us, we wonder why others don’t see the problems or difficulties just as clearly. During the storm the disciples wondered two things: why Jesus could ask them what was so frightening, and how He could not be afraid Himself. In the midst of chaos, any other response seemed absurd. They even accused Him of insensitivity: “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” (Mark 4:38).

But Christ had to rebuke His men because their fear sprang from faithlessness. He basically asked them, “Haven’t you been with Me long enough to see what I can do and to know you are perfectly safe? Even if you should drown, that would mean instant heaven. There’s nothing to worry about.” They should have remembered Psalm 89:8–9, “O Lord God of hosts, who is like You, O mighty Lord? Your faithfulness also surrounds You. You rule the swelling of the sea; when its waves rise, You still them” (cf. 46:1–3; 107:23–30).

For the disciples, Jesus would literally fulfill the psalm. And for believers today, who are aware of His power and love, there is still no need to be afraid of anything. God will see us through the most tumultuous of life’s storms because He can and will take care of His children.

Ask Yourself

When was the last time you despaired of life and safety, feeling as though there was no escape from your current situation without divine intervention? In fact, how many of these has God allowed you to live through—and to see His capable deliverance?
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 30, 2023
Changed by the Holy Spirit

Let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.Ephesians 4:23-24
Is your personality an asset or a liability to your marriage? Most personality traits are expressed by contrasting words. We speak of an individual being optimistic or pessimistic, critical or complimentary, extroverted or introverted, patient or impatient. While our personalities are developed in childhood, they are not set in concrete. We can change.

If I realize that my tendency to withdraw and remain silent is detrimental to my marriage, I can learn to share my feelings and thoughts. If I realize that my critical attitude is killing my mate’s spirit, I can break the pattern and learn to give compliments. The message of the Bible is that God loves us as we are, but he loves us too much to leave us as we are. We all need to grow, and growth requires change. I am influenced by my personality, but I need not be controlled by it. Instead, I am to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. In Ephesians 4, Paul tells us to “let the Spirit renew [our] thoughts and attitudes.” He will work in our lives, but we need to allow him to do it. When I yield to him, I will see significant changes in my approach to life and marriage.

Holy Spirit, through your power I know you can change me. I want to be renewed. I want to be more like Jesus. Please help me to yield to you. I want to reap the benefits in my life and in my marriage.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:08am On Jul 31, 2023
40 Days . . . or 40 Years?

Yo-Mo continued with his instructions to the teens in his youth group. “We’ll meet here at the church tomorrow morning at 5 a.m.,” he announced. “And remember, it should only take us 40 days to get there. So tell your parents to be here waiting for you. Because I don’t want to wait for 500,000 of you to call your parents once we get back to the church, okay?”

It just so happened that the students in Yo-Mo’s youth group weren’t very good travelers. They got antsy. They wanted to stop at every McDonald’s they passed. They screamed stuff from the back of the bus. Annoying stuff like: “How many more miles?” And “When’re we gonna get there?” Then their questions turned accusatory: “Hey! Yo-Mo, you said we’d be there in 40 days. It’s been four-and-a-half years! So when are we gonna stop, huh?” And even derogatory remarks: “Yo-Mo! Where’d you get your license? Out of a Cracker Jack box?”

After 37 years, a kid from the very back of the bus raised his hand. “Um, Mr. Yo-Mo? Do you think maybe we could pull over and stop? I, uh, really oughta call my parents. They’ve been waiting for me at the church for 37 years now.”

Finally, after being on the road for a little over 40 years, Yo-Mo pulled over at a rest stop. Everyone piled off the bus, and he climbed a mountain.

When Moses reached the top, the Lord began speaking to him. “Mo, squint your eyes a little. See way over there in the distance?”

Mo squinted. “Yeah. I see it!”

“That’s the Promised Land,” the Lord said.

“Wow!” Mo exclaimed. “That’s it? That’s what we’ve been trying to find for the past 40 years? Cool.”

“And now that you’ve seen it, it’s time for you to die.”

What? Over 40 years of leading his youth group, and now he has to die? Without even getting to go inside?

That’s right. You see, a little earlier, Mo had compromised. (He made excuses and said some things that were really wrong were okay.) As a result, God was withholding some of his blessings.

Know It!
There are always consequences when we compromise God’s direction in our lives.
Read It!
Exodus 16–18
Pray It!
Tell God you don’t want to be a complainer (like the children of Israel) when things don’t go your way. Pray for a positive attitude
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 31, 2023
God is in control; trust Him

“My hope is in You.” Ps 39:7 NKJV

Life seldom works out exactly the way we hope or think it will. When Job lost everything, he said, “I don’t have the strength to endure. I have nothing to live for… I am utterly helpless, without any chance of success” (Job 6:11, 13 NLT). Yet in the end, Job got back twice as much as he had lost. But the experiences and adversities he had gone through changed his attitude toward God profoundly. “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted…My ears have heard of you but now my eyes have seen you” (Job 42:2, 5 NIV). What had Job discovered? That God is sovereign! He is not our servant, we are His servants. We must obey His Word in order to walk in His blessing—but the final outcome of all things rests in His hands and not ours. Many of us struggle with control. We want control not only over our circumstances, but our goals, plans, relationships, and all that concerns us. Such fear is often an indication of an unconscious desire to be independent of God; to be the master of our own destiny. Sometimes it’s the result of growing up in a chaotic environment and resolving never to repeat the experiences of your earlier life. Perhaps you think you’re in control of your life due to your educational, financial, or other achievements. It isn’t true. God enabled you to do everything that you have done. Paul writes, “But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me” (1Co 15:10 NLT). Today God is in control—trust Him!
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:24am On Aug 01, 2023
Answered Prayer

The Lord is king! Let the nations tremble! He sits on his throne between the cherubim. Let the whole earth quake! The Lord sits in majesty in Jerusalem, supreme above all the nations. Let them praise your great and awesome name. Your name is holy! . . . Moses and Aaron were among his priests; Samuel also called on his name. They cried to the Lord for help, and he answered them.Psalm 99:1-3, 6
God is worthy of our praise, and in Psalm 99 the psalmist encourages us to praise God for two reasons: for his essential character—his greatness, majesty, and radiant holiness—and because he has designed and initiated prayer as a means of blessing, restoring, and helping his people. While the holy God sits in majesty, he calls us into an intimate relationship with him and chooses to work in this world through our prayers. He invites us to call to him, and he answers our call and shows us great and mighty things that we do not know (Jeremiah 33:3). From his throne he dispenses grace, healing, and strength, so as we come to him in prayer as Moses, Aaron, and Samuel did, we experience his presence, and he answers us in his way, in his time, and for his glory and our good. Take a few minutes to reflect on the many times you have prayed for God’s help and the different ways he has answered, and thank him today.

LORD, awesome and holy is your name! You sit on your throne in majesty; you are King and yet you hear my cries and answer me. You are worthy of our praise simply because of who you are—supreme above all nations and yearning for every person to come to know you. Worthy are you, Lord! I will sing about your holy name throughout the day!

I think we sometimes discourage ourselves by a misconception of the exact meaningof the expression “answer,” taking it to mean only grant. Now, an answer is not necessarily acquiescence. It may be a refusal, an explanation, a promise, a conditional grant. It is, in fact, simply attention to our request expressed. In this sense, before we call he will answer, and while we are yet speaking, he will hear.
Mary B. M. Duncan

The One Year Bible Readings for today are Judges 8:18–9:21; Luke 23:44–24:12; Psalm 99:1-9 and Proverbs 14:9-10.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 01, 2023
Overcoming your shyness

“A man who has friends must himself be friendly.” Pr 18:24 NKJV

There are no shortcuts to overcoming shyness; you’re going to have to work at becoming comfortable being with people. But you can do it. Here are some surefire strategies that will help you make friends: (1) You can’t deny the fact that you’re shy, but the more you keep talking about it, the more you reinforce its control over you. “Wise words satisfy like a good meal; the right words bring satisfaction. The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences” (vv. 20-21 NLT). Why “own” something so damaging to your goals and relationships? “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2Ti 1:7 NKJV). Fear is a spirit, and you must learn to reject it! The fact that you have named yourself “shy” is no reason to shy away from chances to overcome it. Avoidance just reinforces your fear. (2) Engage in an activity you really enjoy so that you’ll have something to chat about with passion and enthusiasm. (3) Overlook your thumping heart, wobbly voice, sweat, aching stomach, or other signs of anxiety; they are not lethal. Grin. It’s contagious, and it’s vital to appearing approachable. (4) Ask people to talk about their favorite subject—themselves. Then really listen and reply to their answers instead of worrying about what you will ask next. Remember, you may be able to sway what people think about you, but you cannot control it—so stop thinking about their assessment or endorsement of you. Meditate on Philippians 4:6-9, and “the God of peace will be with you” (Php 4:9 NKJV).
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 02, 2023
Be Heavenly Minded

Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God’s right hand in the place of honor and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth. For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.Colossians 3:1-3
In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul admonishes us, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think” (Romans 12:2). In today’s verses, he gives us an important step in that process of transformation. Our inherent tendency is to direct our lives on this earth according to what we perceive with our five senses. The fact is, if we have embraced Christ, our attachment to this physical world is no longer the defining element of our existence. Jesus himself is.

The present reality of his love for us and our new life in him must become the primary focus of our attention if we hope to escape the clutches of darkness of this present world. No religious activity can set us free, no matter how transcendent it might be. The realities of heaven become the substance of our lives only when we set our sights on him in whom our life is hidden.

LORD, help me to see with new eyes today. Instead of the troubles of my life in this world, may I focus my vision on you, the author and finisher of my faith, the lover and keeper of my soul. Help me to trust in the realities of your kingdom more than I trust what I can experience with my physical body.

A man with the vision of God is not devoted simply to a cause or a particular issue but to God himself.
Oswald Chambers (1874–1917)

The One Year Bible Readings for today are Jeremiah 8:8–9:26; Colossians 3:1-17; Psalm 78:32-55 and Proverbs 24:27.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:26am On Aug 03, 2023
TO READ: Psalm 23

All the Days of My Life

The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.Psalm 23:1
When Isaiah the prophet lamented that “All of us have strayed away like sheep. We have left God’s paths to follow our own” (Isa. 53:6), it was not a compliment to be compared to sheep. Sheep have an infuriating tendency to wander and, not infrequently, to end up in deep trouble. Men have the same tendency. But not all sheep wander. Some seem to find an antidote to their restlessness—they settle down with a watchful shepherd. That is precisely what men need as well.

David, as we know, was no stranger to sheep. He spent many long and lonely hours shepherding on the hills surrounding Bethlehem, guarding against lions and bears and leading his charges to water and pasture. The simple words of David’s most famous psalm capture the beauty of a sheep’s life under the gracious care of a shepherd—or more accurately, the splendor of a man’s life lived under the shepherding of the Lord.

The ability to say “I have everything I need” (23:1) is a rarity in today’s consumer-oriented society. We are bombarded by skillfully-directed advertising that plays on our innermost fears and longings and blurs the distinction between needs and wants, necessities and luxuries. It is becoming harder to find “rest in green meadows” and peace “beside peaceful streams“ (23:2). Men are fighting the rush of modern life in the concrete jungle.

The man who can testify truthfully “The Lord is my shepherd” (23:1) can also speak of how this fundamental truth has made an impact on his life. And not just occasionally, but “all the days of [his] life” (23:6). To know the place where “strength” can be renewed and guidance along “right paths” (23:3) can be found is to be assured and encouraged in the midst of modern uncertainty. A man can have this confidence even when called upon by life’s vicissitudes to “walk through the dark valley” (23:4) and to live “in the presence of [one’s] enemies” (23:5). When the Lord is our shepherd, he gives the grace “not [to] be afraid” and to testify, “My cup overflows with blessings” (23:4-5). To experience this is to live at a level not known by many a man.

Should it be objected that all this sounds too good to be true, the response must be—it is! That is, unless the Lord is shepherding. Then his “goodness and unfailing love” (23:6) will pursue even the potentially wayward sheep, like divinely directed sheepdogs.

And that is not the end of it. When “all the days of [his] life” are over, the well-shepherded man will “live in the house of the Lord forever” (23:6). What a way to go!
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 04, 2023
S.T.R.E.S.S. (2)

“Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you.” 2Ch 20:17 NKJV

Trust what God tells you. “You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord…Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the Lord is with you” (v. 17 NKJV). God’s way of resolving our problems can frequently go against our logic. Maybe that is why we are hesitant to approach Him in certain matters. Why would God instruct Jehoshaphat’s army, which was clearly no match for three armies, to show up prepared for a battle they were not intended to fight? That didn’t make any sense! God will many times tell us to “position” ourselves to deal with a demanding task or problem we feel completely inadequate to tackle. Our challenge is to obey Him and position ourselves to win. How do you do that? (1) You “position” yourself when you choose to enter college, even though you may not have achieved well in high school. (2) You “position” yourself when you resign from a job at God’s urging and start a new business, even though a long list of customers or clients isn’t waiting in the wings. (3) You “position” yourself when you sit down at your computer each day to write a book you have always desired to write–without a head full of knowledge but with a heart full of faith that God will join you there with His words. God’s instruction is to position ourselves for victory. He wants us to show up, so He can show Himself strong on our behalf (See 2Ch 16:9 NKJV).
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 05, 2023
S.T.R.E.S.S. (3)

“I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?” Jer 32:27 NKJV

Remember past victories. Notice how King Jehoshaphat prayed: “Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?” (2Ch 20:7 NKJV). If God has ever performed a miracle for you or for anybody else, He can do it again. So, read His Word and strengthen your faith by recalling His great deeds. E—Exalt God above the problem. “O Lord God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?” (v. 6 NKJV). In his anguish, Jehoshaphat asked rhetorical questions that exposed how big his God was compared to the problem. Sometimes it’s difficult to look past the problem when the reality of it is so close. If you close one eye and put a coin over your other eye, you can blind yourself to something as big as the sun. Getting the idea? S—Solicit the prayers and support of others. “Jehoshaphat…proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah…they came to seek the Lord” (vv. 3-4 NKJV). Jehoshaphat didn’t ask the people for their opinions but for their prayers, because that’s what moves the heart of God. S—Stand on the promises of God. When you do, you can say like the psalmist, “As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in your commands” (Ps 119:143 NLT). That’s God’s formula for stress—now use it.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 06, 2023
Safe in Him

You can be sure of this: The Lord has set apart the godly for himself. The Lord will answer when I call to him. . . . Many people say, “Who will show us better times?” Let the smile of your face shine on us, Lord. You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and wine. I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.Psalm 4:3, 6-8
In this psalm David proclaimed his faith in God’s ability to answer him when he called and to protect him even when he was pursued and slandered by his enemies. David’s experiences with God had taught him that he did not have to wait to praise God until he was enjoying “better times.” Though David was weary and may have been spending the night in a cave as he fled his enemies and didn’t know the outcome of the danger he was in, his trust produced joy that was greater than the joy experienced by those celebrating a great harvest. And he could then lie down in peace and sleep because he knew God alone would keep him safe. What situation or problem could steal your sleep and your peace and joy? Call on the living God, who will answer when you call to him. And remember that you can close your eyes and rest because God’s eyes never close. The One who never sleeps cares for you personally and watches over you.

LORD, thank you for setting apart each of us to know you and for answering when I call to you. Let the smile of your countenance shine on me this day. Grant me joy in Christ and peace in your presence, even before a turnaround or harvest comes. And when the night falls, grant me to “lie down in peace and sleep,” for you alone keep me safe.

Talk to him in prayer of all your wants, your troubles, even of the weariness you feel in serving him. You cannot speak too freely, too trustfully to him.
François Fénelon (1651–1715)

The One Year Bible readings for today are Genesis 8:1–10:32; Matthew 4:12-25; Psalm 4:1-8 and Proverbs 1:20-23.
Re: Morning Dews Devotionals by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 06, 2023
Always be thankful to God

“It is good to give thanks to the Lord.” Ps 92:1 NKJV

Journalist Fulton Oursler tells the story of an elderly nurse called Anna. Born a slave on the eastern shore of the state of Maryland, she had attended Fulton’s birth, plus that of his mother. He honors her for teaching him the best lesson he ever learned about giving thanks and finding contentment: “I remember her as she sat at the kitchen table in our house; the hard, old, brown hands folded across her starched apron, the glistening eyes, and the husky old whispering voice, saying, ‘Much obliged, Lord, for my vittles.’ I asked, ‘Anna, what’s a vittle?’ ‘It’s what I’ve got to eat and drink—that’s vittles,’ the old nurse replied. ‘But you’d get your vittles whether you thanked the Lord or not,’ I said. ‘Sure,’ said Anna, ‘but it makes everything taste better to be thankful!’” The excitement that comes from getting something new, or even something you have worked hard for, is often short lived and quickly replaced by your desire for the next thing. Solomon put it this way: “The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing” (Ecc 1:cool. So, what’s the solution? Having an attitude of gratitude! Stopping regularly to remember the goodness of God that makes it possible for you to enjoy every blessing you have, and remembering to say, “Thank you, Lord.” The psalmist had a heart of gratitude. He wrote, “It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night” (Ps 92:1-2 NKJV). So, always be thankful to God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cardinal Anthony Okogie Retires, Bishop Martins Appointed Archbishop Of Lagos. / Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? / Popular Port Harcourt Pastor Acquires A Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.