Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,855 members, 7,820,976 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support (4136 Views)

Saudi Confirmed Her Support For Nigeria On Shia Nigeria Army Conflict / Biafra Agitation: Popular Yoruba Activist Pledges Her Support For Biafra / Don't Expect Change Overnight - Buhari Reiterates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by OAM4J: 12:25am On Sep 26, 2011
Nigeria reiterates support for Palestinian statehood bid

United Nations – Foreign Minister Olugbenga Ashiru has reiterated Nigeria’s decision to support Palestinians’ bid for UN membership as a sovereign state.

Ashiru told Nigeria journalists covering the ongoing UN General Assembly in New York that Nigeria preferred “a solution whereby two states, Palestine and Israel, will live peacefully side-by-side’’.

“It has always been the consistent policy of the government of Nigeria that we prefer a peaceful solution to the problem in the Middle East. We prefer a solution whereby two states -  Palestine and Israel – will live peacefully side-by-side.”
He said Nigeria recognised the state of Palestine since 1984 and that its ambassador had been resident in the country since then.

“In fact there was a time when the ambassador, for 15 years, was the Dean of the diplomatic corps in Nigeria.

“Our stand and policy is very clear and there is no change in our position,

“Nigeria seems to be the beautiful bride sought after by the two groups and other countries trying to find out how Nigeria will vote,’’ said the minister of Jonathan’s separate meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak

“But in all the meetings, we maintained our consistent position that we want to see a two-state solution to the problem in the Middle East where the State of Palestine and the State of Israel will live in peace side by side.

“We told all the groups that came – some to the president and some to me – that our policy has remained the same. We want a two-state solution and Nigeria will, as before, maintain a pattern of voting since the issue has been before the Security Council.

“It is very simple; we support the people of Palestine to have a state of their own.”

NAN reports that Nigeria has traditionally maintained close relations with the Palestinians as well as good ties with Israel, particularly in the area of security, trade and Christian pilgrimage.

Each year, thousands of Nigerians flood to Israel for Christian pilgrimage.

On Friday, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas asked the UN to recognise a state for his people, but Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said only direct negotiations could deliver peace in the area.

Abbas handed UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon a letter requesting full UN membership, which the 15-member Security Council said it would discuss on Monday.

The U. S. has vowed to use its veto power if it comes to voting.

Under the UN process for approving statehood, aspiring members submit applications to the UN Secretary-General, who is then required to send the application to the UN Security Council.

The UN Charter states that the admission of any state to membership will be effected by a decision of the General Assembly upon recommendation by the Security Council.

The Security Council recommendation is made by a resolution subject to a veto.

For the request to be granted Palestinians must garner nine Security Council votes and avoid being vetoed by one of the five permanent members. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/09/nigeria-reiterates-support-for-palestinian-statehood-bid/

1 Like

Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 26, 2011
this is good but next time the minister should his words carefully without haste.he seemed to have said all that impromptu
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by itiswell1(m): 6:29am On Sep 26, 2011
Wetin come be our own for this matter now. This one na Boko Haram. Oct 1 is ard the corner again o Mr. President
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by lagcity(m): 6:44am On Sep 26, 2011
Jonathan is playing with fire. he is supporting Palestine but employing Israeli bodyguards. dem go poison this Jonathan very soon. i trust mossad.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by annyplenty(m): 6:53am On Sep 26, 2011
Jonathan is playing with God of Israel, Jehovah, the only true God. I pray God will not visit Nigeria with anger. Many nations that have proclaimed support for Palestine recently have been hit by disasters, shortly after their proclamation.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by fmgold: 7:16am On Sep 26, 2011
“Nigeria seems to be the beautiful bride sought
after by the two groups and other countries
trying to find out how Nigeria will vote,’’. Very very dumb comment from a diplomat. Nigeria must b d most important country in the UN
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by MMM2(m): 7:28am On Sep 26, 2011
huh
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by londoner: 8:04am On Sep 26, 2011
If this has been the stand of Nigeria all along, I don't see why it should change now. Sometimes we have to follow what we think is right and not simply side with the US or Isreal for the sake of it. We are not a colony.

For those fearing some kind of retribution from afar, look closer to home we have Boko Haram and we don't have to gamble with our security just to suck up to the USA and Co.

If the support for a Palestinian state has been Nigeria's stance historically, and there are no new factors which should change this, it should stay the same.

Btw, I really cant stand when people use natural disasters as "evidence" of what God thinks about a situation.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 26, 2011
annyplenty:

Jonathan is playing with God of Israel, Jehovah, the only true God. I pray God will not visit Nigeria with anger. Many nations that have proclaimed support for Palestine recently have been hit by disasters, shortly after their proclamation.

what is the meaning of this?

anyway i think the government is confused. why not just stay away from all these confusion.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 26, 2011
annyplenty:

what is the meaning of this?

anyway i think the government is confused. why not just stay away from all these confusion.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by wesley80(m): 8:33am On Sep 26, 2011
Jonathan I believe should know better, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not one to be rationalized, its a predestined David vs Goliath struggle that David is destined to win no matter the obstacles. You can not ignore the hand of God when this conflict is mentioned except perhaps you're an atheist, this is God's chosen land and its destiny isnt in the hand of mere mortals. Pat Robertson was forced to issue an apology after he pointed out that 'God had struck Ariel Sharon down for tryin to carve up his land' but the significance of his statement wasnt lost in the US or in Israel and it further strengthened both nations positions. The only thing "safe" is siding Israel Gej take note.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by hajifaty: 8:48am On Sep 26, 2011
annyplenty:

Are u a human being? see how u r thinking like a mosquito. I think seun should be conducting brain test before allowing anyone to post here.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Delafruita(m): 10:51am On Sep 26, 2011
@wesley80,annyplenty

you seem to be neurotics.is the God of Isreal not supposed to be the God of the entire world including palestine,syria,somalia,peurto rico and even manila?
Does the God of isreal support the inhuman blockade on the over 1million inhabitants of gaza,
does the God of isreal support the shelling of innocent women and children with phosphorus bombs which killed more than 2000 people in 2009?
Does the God of isreal support the attack of an aid flotilla which was meant to take aid to gazans in which 9 turkish activists were killed?

I am tired of hearing this isreal is God's own land slogan.isreal has commited acts which if they had been commited by any other nation e.g iran,turkey,libya,egypt etc would have had the US and NATO rushing to fly in planes to rescue "innocent civilians".i have always advocated a 2 state solution.isreal isnt ready to compromise and is already threatened by the unification between hamas and fatah.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by polokor60(m): 11:15am On Sep 26, 2011
lagcity:

Jonathan is playing with fire. he is supporting Palestine but employing Israeli bodyguards. dem go poison this Jonathan very soon. i trust mossad.
word angry
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 26, 2011
I hope Israel will reciprocate this "Good gesture" by supporting the Republic of Biafra to live side by side peacefully with the Nigerian Sate.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by PointB: 12:23pm On Sep 26, 2011
^^^
And the Americans also reciprocate by supporting Oduduwa Republic. grin grin grin
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 26, 2011
PointB:

^^^
And the Americans also reciprocate by supporting Oduduwa Republic.  grin grin grin

Strongly on the spot brother.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by ss007: 2:52pm On Sep 26, 2011

IGNORAMUS! shocked shocked shocked grin shocked grin angry angry angry sad sad sad
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2011
Delafruita:

@wesley80,annyplenty

you seem to be neurotics.is the God of Isreal not supposed to be the God of the entire world including palestine,syria,somalia,peurto rico and even manila?
Does the God of isreal support the inhuman blockade on the over 1million inhabitants of gaza,
does the God of isreal support the shelling of innocent women and children with phosphorus bombs which killed more than 2000 people in 2009?
Does the God of isreal support the attack of an aid flotilla which was meant to take aid to gazans in which 9 turkish activists were killed?

I am tired of hearing this isreal is God's own land slogan.isreal has commited acts which if they had been commited by any other nation e.g iran,turkey,libya,egypt etc would have had the US and NATO rushing to fly in planes to rescue "innocent civilians".i have always advocated a 2 state solution.isreal isnt ready to compromise and is already threatened by the unification between hamas and fatah.
WORD

annyplenty:

SO GOD NOW SUPPORTS INJUSTICE.ISREAL DESERVES A RIGHT TO NATIUONHOOD JUST LIKE PALESTINE DESERVE A RIGHT TO NATIONHOOD
STOP LIVING IN THE DELUDED TALK OF NO ONE CAN EVER BEAT ISREAL IN WAR COS GOD SAID IT
WELL,I AM SURE GOD IS TIRED OF ALL THE INJUSTICES GOING ON OVER THERE
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 26, 2011
wesley80:

Jonathan I believe should know better, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not one to be rationalized, its a predestined David vs Goliath struggle that David is destined to win no matter the obstacles. You can not ignore the hand of God when this conflict is mentioned except perhaps you're an atheist, this is God's chosen land and its destiny isnt in the hand of mere mortals. Pat Robertson was forced to issue an apology after he pointed out that 'God had struck Ariel Sharon down for tryin to carve up his land' but the significance of his statement wasnt lost in the US or in Israel and it further strengthened both nations positions. The only thing "safe" is siding Israel Gej take note.
do you even know whats going on over there?
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by seanet02: 3:58pm On Sep 26, 2011
Odechukwu makes sense at last
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Rhea(f): 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2011
Considering that Nigeria has always towed any line dangled by the US, I would expect the minister to refute that statement by tomorrow. I don't think Nigeria is independent enough to pitch tents against the US in any global matter. Sad but true
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by wesley80(m): 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2011
milehigh06:

do you even know whats going on over there?

Yes I do. Do you?
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by kasiem(m): 4:16pm On Sep 26, 2011
nigeria is trying to pay back israel for their role in supporting biafra
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by asscend: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2011
The issue is not having a two state solution, this can be done imediately.  The Palistinians want East Jeruselem as their capital.  There are other places they can use but no, them get big eye.  Boy! That is absolutely a no no no.  Jeruselem must not be divided as its the eternal capital of Israel, given to them by God himself.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by wesley80(m): 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2011
An independent Palestinian government strongly backed by Hamas and Hezbollah with freedom to become what it wants to be and trade with whoever it wishes? What really has the PLO done to deserve statehood? All I've heard are emotional comments far torn from the reality that is the Middle East, the Middle East is a tinder box, statehood for Palestinians wld only ignite it, the rest of the world knows it and even though they all show open support for independence, they are counting on the US' veto to maintain peace.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by asscend: 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2011
wesley80:

An independent Palestinian government strongly backed by Hamas and Hezbollah with freedom to become what it wants to be and trade with whoever it wishes? What really has the PLO done to deserve statehood? All I've heard are emotional comments far torn from the reality that is the Middle East, the Middle East is a tinder box, statehood for Palestinians wld only ignite it, the rest of the world knows it and even though they all show open support for independence, they are counting on the US' veto to maintain peace.
wesley80:

I lke this. Now thats a fact.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Delafruita(m): 5:47pm On Sep 26, 2011
@accend

now thats pure gibberish.a careful research intohistory shows that there were arabian occupants of jerusalem before it was conquered by david.even the bible attests to this fac.the bible also accounts that jerusalem was conquered by babylon and when the isrealites finally returned,the original occupants of the land had returned.the war started from that time and never abated till present time.therefore,the palestines have as much ancestral claim over jerusalem as do the isrealites whose only claim to the land comes from their claim of God giving it to them.so if jonathan dreams tonight and sees a vision ofobatala asking him to conquer ghana,he is free to do so because he claims obatala sent him?

@wesley80

do you actually realise palestine has been recognized by the UN as an independent entity since 1984?do you also realise that the government of isreal is not responsible for the running of the state of palestine?the PLO runs the nation though with immense dependence on aid.palestine is already a nation on its own.all it wants is for its status at the UN to be recognized.

The fear of isreal and the US is that if isreal becomes a full member of the UN,it can apply for membership of affiliate bodies of the UN like theinternational court of justice.of course we all know palestine has been threatening to drag isreal before that court when it gets its statehood for its various crimes against humanity.

Israel has no basis for this inhumane treatment of innocent people especially gazans.negotiations have led to nowhere always because israel is lacking in commitment and will to compromise.there is no ssolution to the situation the will not include statehood for palestinenly claim to the land comes from their claim of God giving it to them.so if jonathan dreams tonight and sees a vision ofobatala asking him to conquer ghana,he is free to do so because he claims obatala sent him?

@wesley80

do you actually realise palestine has been recognized by the UN as an independent entity since 1984?do you also realise that the government of isreal is not responsible for the running of the state of palestine?the PLO runs the nation though with immense dependence on aid.palestine is already a nation on its own.all it wants is for its status at the UN to be recognized.

The fear of isreal and the US is that if isreal becomes a full member of the UN,it can apply for membership of affiliate bodies of the UN like theinternational court of justice.of course we all know palestine has been threatening to drag isreal before that court when it gets its statehood for its various crimes against humanity.

Israel has no basis for this inhumane treatment of innocent people especially gazans.negotiations have led to nowhere always because israel is lacking in commitment and will to compromise.there is no ssolution to the situation the will not include statehood for palestine
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Delafruita(m): 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2011
@wesley80

so in your opinion,the human rights of palestines should besacrificed because isreal cannot maintain peace with its neighbours?isreal has one major problem and that problem is isreal itself.it continues to equip itself with weapons both nuclear and otherwise,it keeps threatening its neighbours with attacks and keeps depending on the US to broker peace when things backfire.i am happy erdogan finally came to his senses
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by POTUT(m): 6:54pm On Sep 26, 2011
A Palestinian State based on 1967 borders is like asking for a Native American State based on pre-Columbus era.

What?! An empty piece of land up until the later part of the 19th century when Jews started returning from all over Europe. There were no Palestinians there. The land was territorially under Jordan. So what justifies the claim of the Palestinians to it?

Even Prophet Mohammed wrote in the Quran that the God of Heaven and Earth had given the children of Isaac all the land from Euphrates to the Nile/Mediterranean, but the so called Palestinians have conveniently chosen to ignore this.

Nigeria is not a country, its a deception, an empty space filled with the most confused black-skinned people. We have no foreign policy please.

Israel has conceded enough to the Palestinians. The onus is on the Palestinians to recognize a Jewish State, simple! Israel is willing to recognize a Palestinian one.
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by Delafruita(m): 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2011
@POTUT

its clear you have been living on a different planet till recently.you actually mean to say that vast land was just empty till isrealis came strolling from the four corners of the earth?you assume the isrealis started returning in the 19th century?you forget that jesus was born in isreal.you also forget that after salahaddin captured jerusalem in the 16th century,he did not sack the inhabitants like nebuchadnezzer before him.you also failed to mention that the arabs were the original occupants of the land till isreal conquered them.

As for the 1967 borders,that has always been the major reason for the conflict.even obama has stated that there can be no basis for negotiation if isreal does not return to the pre-1967 borders.isreal forcefully collected those lands and it has to return them before negotiations can begin.

You say isreal has conceeded a lot,please give me one example of concessions isreal has made to palestine.the oslo accord was broken by isreal,the moratarium on settlement construction was broken by isreal and many others.i still think the best efforts at attaining peace was the treaty brokered by clinton which was a trilaeral agreement between isreal,palestine and syria.however,ehud barak refused to sign the agreement because he felt he would appear weak to the knesset.

I believe palestine should be granted their statehood whether it ends the conflict or not.at least there would be a level field for both sides
Re: Palestinian Statehood Bid: Nigeria Reiterates Her Support by POTUT(m): 7:38pm On Sep 26, 2011
I don't see any other planet inhabitable by man, not yet.

I presumed too much when I deliberately left out some details in the hope that anyone posting on this blog has some knowledge of the pieces of land in dispute and their respective historical significance.

I am talking about the West Bank, not the entire geographical space of Israel today.

Israel MUST balance any Accords or Treaties with the viability of its own sovereignty. Show me any country today that will agree to a border arrangement that leaves it about 9 miles wide in some places in a region where Arab states are vowed (tacitly or otherwise) to destroy Israel at their first opportunity.

The problem is not granting Palestine their statehood, the problem is getting Palestinians to recognize a Jewish State! This should be common sense and I think the Palestinians are just being hypocritical. You recognize Israel only during negotiations, but refuse to recognize them as Jewish State should your statehood be granted.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Over 3million Igbos Stranded In Kano-Ohanaeze / See What Obasanjo Said About Ben Bruce-amcon Case (pics) / Look At What Wike Did To APC Rivers State Secretariat (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.