Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41935 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by EBMedia: 6:09pm On May 14, 2023
A human right lawyer, Bolanle, has decried the high rate of divorce among ‘happily married' Nigerian couples after they relocate to the UK, IGBERETV reports.

He wrote on his Twitter handle;

“The rate at which happily married couples in Nigeria relocate to UK only to divorce after 2years. @Oluomoofderby, what is really happening in UK? Marriages are scattering everyday.”

https://twitter.com/BolanleCole/status/1657282890005196800?t=03ImUcp6y2jvwnJ8xWaP6A&s=19

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by madridguy(m): 6:13pm On May 14, 2023
It is too much freedom.

Well, to me I still blame the men in such position, I no go sell my property, borrow money for us to travel you come reach foreign land make you come say you no do again. E no possible. We must talk am very well before we comot for Naija.

162 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Righteousness2(m): 6:16pm On May 14, 2023
Real joy and satisfaction is not in travelling to the UK, America, France, etc.
Real peace is not in moving to Europe, asia, America, the middle east, Australia etc

Anywhere you are in the world, real joy and Satisfaction is only available in JESUS Christ.
There must be a conscious effort to know JESUS, Obey His word and live for JESUS Christ.

In JESUS Christ alone we find real peace in this troubled and sinking world.

385 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Jennyclay(f): 6:17pm On May 14, 2023
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by sholatech(m): 6:24pm On May 14, 2023
Families need to decide and agree on so many issues before Japa anywhere

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Carcholce: 6:28pm On May 14, 2023
sholatech:

You think this will change anything?

They will still leave you behind if they want to leave.

174 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Yames70(m): 6:35pm On May 14, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage
Oya na let’s go😋

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Tayorshd87: 6:40pm On May 14, 2023
It's there wahala please talk about high rate.of divorce in kgeria first before going aboard 😡

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by brain54(m): 6:51pm On May 14, 2023
Jennyclay:
If you take yourself is it a bad thing…?

173 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Jennyclay(f): 6:54pm On May 14, 2023
brain54:

If you take yourself is it a bad thing…?
if you also take me there is it a bad thing??

38 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by brain54(m): 7:02pm On May 14, 2023
Jennyclay:
if you also take me there is it a bad thing??
Abomination…

174 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by malcom1X: 7:10pm On May 14, 2023
The man fails to work on himself or improve himself. When he reaches there.

Indians, Chinese, Kenyans, people who are more educated than an average Nigerian do this same thing but you'll never hear them divorce. They settle their family issues.

But Nigerian women?

Hmmm 🤔

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Odin13: 7:27pm On May 14, 2023
Nigerian women are basically the problem.. take you wife to Uk and understand the phrase..” they don’t really know what they want”

. Another is the freedom that comes with it.. especially ones that claim they don’t love…and marry out of sentiment.. and the very young once’s that fantasize

. They shamelessly age without husband.. after dining with reality ..

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by wonder233: 9:20pm On May 14, 2023
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society

238 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Mindlog: 9:23pm On May 14, 2023
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystification of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

126 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 9:37pm On May 14, 2023
malcom1X:
The man fails to work on himself or improve himself. When he reaches there.

Indians, Chinese, Kenyans, people who are more educated than an average Nigerian do this same thing but you'll never hear them divorce. They settle their family issues.

But Nigerian women?

Hmmm 🤔

Why calling out Nigerian women only?

What has education got to do with divorce?

11 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 9:45pm On May 14, 2023
Odin13:
Nigerian women are basically the problem.. take you wife to Uk and understand the phrase..” they don’t really know what they want”

. Another is the freedom that comes with it.. especially ones that claim they don’t love…and marry out of sentiment.. and the very young once’s that fantasize

. The shamelessly age without husband.. after dining with reality ..

Don't be daft pls, this is the 21st century where common sense is common, one party cannot be the problem of divorces.

HUSBANDS AND WIVES are the cause of divorces, not Nigerian women.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:02pm On May 14, 2023
even if they relocated to Zimbabwe, the marriage might have crashed too.... remember, just because a marriage is great in Nigeria, doesnt mean that same marriage will be great in other parts of the world. many Nigerian rules and regulations dont apply abroad, thus why many will change when moving abroad.

if you want a Nigerian marriage to stand the time, then KEEP IT IN NIGERIA!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 10:20pm On May 14, 2023
wonder233:
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society

Very funny

The problem with you Nigerian men is that you think all the nonsense permitted in our society which you get away with, also applies there when you travel out, very funny.

There are so many women earning their living in Nigeria because the economy permits it, there are so many women earning more than their husbands in this Nigeria, so what exactly is the difference between Nigeria and U.K?

The real reason why Nigeriaan women refuse to take your bullshit abroad is because you think you can eat your cake and have it, the constant polygamous in nature bs, treating her like she is nothing, cheating anyhow, controlling mindset with subjugation and dominance, will not be tolerated in a society where people's mental state and health especially that of women is important for a sane and functioning society, unlike here that it is expected of women to remain in abusive marriages because society says so.

If you like keep being pained that Nigerian women are on a fvcking spree same as you men that take pride in it, something that has been going on and rampant in Nigeria what exactly will be the difference abroad? How exactly is it a new found freedom?

You nl boys really over rate yourselves sha.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by eben97: 10:27pm On May 14, 2023
Our marriages are subsidized here...a lot of things we claim as right(particularly for the man) over here appears totally wrong in UK and we know the average woman like "freedom of everything"!!and once UK system favors Thier course ,what do u expect ?there's no family member to report cases of misbehaviors to, no pastor (in real sense as most hardly attend church after sometime due to wanting to meet up Bills and satisfy desires) to help settle differences, and because the average woman can be short fused ,u see explosions interms of divorce.Most women over there won't cope with the family life style we manage with over here.So no matter the level of unity , understanding the couple display here in Nigeria, it would surely be tested overtime as they try to settle there, finally, negative influence from friends and other fully settled relatives play the major role here.

30 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 10:30pm On May 14, 2023
sholatech:

This.

Besides, I have seen a woman advised to lock up and endure her 'misbehaving' husband because he was planning to relocate them to Canada and divorce him thereafter.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by LivingSage: 10:41pm On May 14, 2023
No man wants parasite
Jennyclay:

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Dogalmighty17: 11:34pm On May 14, 2023
Jennyclay:

You? Jenny? You? 🤣🤣🤣😆😂🤯😆😆😂😂

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:11am On May 15, 2023
wonder233:

i agree on the 1st part economic empowerment but disagree on disregards him

to me its change of balance of power most women will disregard him becoz he was was the same while in nigeria or africa

In zimbabwe we say " its all good when a leopard drag other animal through the mud, but when other animals drag it, it cries over spoiling its beautiful spots" in simple terms most men who cry being disregarded are just facing what they used to do to those wives. where did she learn it from ? from him back home

the question is where did those women learn that behaviour from ? the answer is from their husbands

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by eazzzy1(m): 3:54am On May 15, 2023
There are no family members abroad to call for family meetings. Many marriages in Nigeria are been held together by family meetings.

A party decides they’ve had enough and want out, the couple’s family organizes an intervention for them. How will you insist on leaving when your mother in-law kneels with tears in her eyes to apologize on behalf of her child?

Elders intervention on phone doesn’t have the same effect as in person.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:00am On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
It is too much freedom. Well, to me I still blame the men in such position, I no go sell my property, borrow money for us to travel you come reach foreign land make you come say you no do again. E no possible. We must talk am very well before we comot for Naija.
Meaning marriage was a prison for at least one of the individuals in the marriage to begin with, right?? undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On May 15, 2023
Carcholce:
■ You think this will change anything? They will still leave you behind if they want to leave.
The ones that remain in Nigeria suffer pretty much similar fate. With population as it is, there is no hiding the high divorce rate even in Nigeria. undecided

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Kobojunkie: 5:05am On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria? The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage". A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆
A whole lot! undecided

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 9:03am On May 15, 2023
eben97:
Our marriages are subsidized here...a lot of things we claim as right(particularly for the man) over here appears totally wrong in UK and we know the average woman like "freedom of everything"!!and once UK system favors Thier course ,what do u expect ?there's no family member to report cases of misbehaviors to, no pastor (in real sense as most hardly attend church after sometime due to wanting to meet up Bills and satisfy desires) to help settle differences, and because the average woman can be short fused ,u see explosions interms of divorce.Most women over there won't cope with the family life style we manage with over here.So no matter the level of unity , understanding the couple display here in Nigeria, it would surely be tested overtime as they try to settle there, finally, negative influence from friends and other fully settled relatives play the major role here.

Again, why are you making it seem like divorces are women's fault?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by eben97: 9:49am On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Again, why are you making it seem like divorces are women's fault?
I don't think that's what I painted over here ...most women want to be loose, just like men , but once it gets to the UK soil, it's mostly the women that Wana break loose , evidences are there on ground . The average man won't like such because of the implications all round on him..we have cases on ground now, where we see women want to claim "half" of men's wealth, some others over 70% ,are those also men's request or wants?the truth is that most women In Nigeria would prefer to live in UK other than Nigeria,and we all can deduce reasons to this aprat from the comfort ,the other major reason would be to exercise matrimonial freedom where "no man would be able to do me nonsense "!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by keepingmum: 10:01am On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

Pls could you point me to the dissertation? It ll make a good read please.

4 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 10:10am On May 15, 2023
eben97:
I don't think that's what I painted over here ...most women want to be loose, just like men , but once it gets to the UK soil, it's mostly the women that Wana break loose , evidences are there on ground . The average man won't like such because of the implications all round on him..we have cases on ground now, where we see women want to claim "half" of men's wealth, some others over 70% ,are those also men's request or wants?the truth is that most women In Nigeria would prefer to live in UK other than Nigeria,and we all can deduce reasons to this aprat from the comfort ,the other major reason would be to exercise matrimonial freedom where "no man would be able to do me nonsense "!!

Oh so you want Nigerian women to keep taking nonsense from men as it use to be in Nigeria abi?

Nigerian men exercise marriage freedom with their cheating and the rest right here in Nigeria, then take same freedom outside, why is it that you all get pained when Nigerian women also exercise same marriage freedom in a country where equality is the watch word? You want women to remain slaves instead of being free right?

The Nigerian system allows the men chase their wives out with nothing after divorce after building a household for years, nobody bats an eyelid, all of you see it as normal and not being evil right?, western world recognise that as far as the marriage is legal and binding, whatever is attained in the marriage belongs to the husband and wife, and will be shared equally or unequally as the case may be, but in your head the right thing is to leave the wife high and dry abi? that to you is being fair, just and sane? You think it's only men that get to part ways with half or more of their money? No woman has being in this situation before and ongoing?

The way you guys regurgitate same bile as if enlightened makes one see you all as below par, sincerely.

18 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / My Husband Threatened To Divorce Me Because Of His Friend.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.