Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,496 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41996 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by tppzzy01(m): 2:47pm On May 15, 2023
Who will Nigeria 🇳🇬 men go come Marry? If you marry a white she will divorce you and take better part of your fortune if not all. You marry your tribe or your Country women, she go divorce you and marry white or another rich black... Is this not a big problem? It's coming to a time where men and women will no longer marry again, they will just be saxing anyhow.
Conclusion: if you dey japa know that you will remain single for the rest of your life in abroad, until you're old and back home
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by okoroemeka(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
It is too much freedom.

Well, to me I still blame the men in such position, I no go sell my property, borrow money for us to travel you come reach foreign land make you come say you no do again. E no possible. We must talk am very well before we comot for Naija.
I don't it is too much freedom because we have excess freedom in Nigeria to even do bad things and get away with it,what I strongly believe is the lack of extended family link ,because in Nigeria you are not only married to your husband but to a whole tribe of people,that believes that divorce is taboo that you must mange no matter what,it is even frightening to Nigerian women to be divorced and living happily in Nigeria,it is nightmare they cannot comprehend,but in UK all those shackles are broken
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 15, 2023
Bigmouth3:

Go and change your menstrual pad instead of shouting here online. Some of us are not your mates ,we have gone far in life MUMU

You cannot stand near me offline, since we are now dickmeasuring, know that some of us can never be your mate, MUMU.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by debbaron2011: 3:03pm On May 15, 2023
It is high time men realize that women are the real game player and should stop thinking that women are weak or they are WEAKER VESSEL. Men for your mental health and stable state of mind. Please concentrate on yourself and forget about women. they are the only creature who have audience with the Devil and till tomorrow no one knows what they discuss and agree on. Men you can never win, take care of yourself and stop SLAVING for them. I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by juman(m): 3:03pm On May 15, 2023
Of course.
Husband that still want to behave as if he still dey africa would be thrown out by the wife.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by maticar: 3:03pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage
feminist dey find man to carry am go abroad grin shocked cheesy grin

meet your fellow feminist
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by juman(m): 3:05pm On May 15, 2023
Don't sell your property and move to abroad, you are probably planning your failure and may be digging your grave.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Spanki(f): 3:07pm On May 15, 2023
Trust a. Nigerian Ladies at your peril 😎
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Spanki(f): 3:08pm On May 15, 2023
EBMedia:
A human right lawyer, Bolanle, has decried the high rate of divorce among ‘happily married' Nigerian couples after they relocate to the UK, IGBERETV reports.

He wrote on his Twitter handle;

https://twitter.com/BolanleCole/status/1657282890005196800?t=03ImUcp6y2jvwnJ8xWaP6A&s=19

A Nigerian lady of this generation don't have what is called conscience, also they're the most ungrateful huimans on planet earth.

There is.no name they will not call you once you rick of mints,,. Ya all know mints Rick a whole lot. Then she will call you handsome, my bbobo and give you doggy style anywhere you want it and anyhow you want it.

Go broke and then the you will know your real name.... 😂😂😂😂
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by xynerise: 3:09pm On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:

Hmmmmmm

So it was more of a marriage of convenience which worked in Nigeria because the husband could perform financially?

I wish him all the best.

I am curious though: weren't the signs there? Or he thought she would still be satisfied with him after getting to the UK?
I still blame him for what is happening to him. Back in Nigeria, all they do is spend for today without plan for tomorrow. No investment, no properties. Just bring make we chop and clubbing every weekend.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by NovusHomo(m): 3:13pm On May 15, 2023
Carcholce:

You think this will change anything?

They will still leave you behind if they want to leave.

Has anyone thought about the roles families-in-law play in all this ?

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 15, 2023
Kobicove:

You're taking this thing too personal undecided

How is it any of your business?

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Hussein035: 3:15pm On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Again, why are you making it seem like divorces are women's fault?

Divorces are not women's fault but tell the same woman that you wan to travel alone to UK and you need a divorce she will never agree even if she once made her mind to divorce you.

Just tell her that you've decided to move to UK and see her explain how you can go together without bringing even 10k
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Denoh68: 3:29pm On May 15, 2023
wonder233:
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society
YOU ARE OVER EDUCATED SIR,THIS YOUR ENGLISH IS A1.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Denoh68: 3:31pm On May 15, 2023
Spanki:

A Nigerian lady of this generation don't have what is called conscience, also they're the most ungrateful huimans on planet earth.

There is.no name they will not call you once you rick of mints,,. Ya all know mints Rick a whole lot. Then she will call you handsome, my bbobo and give you doggy style anywhere you want it and anyhow you want it.

Go broke and then the you will know your real name.... 😂😂😂😂
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,THIS ONE VEX YOU OO,EASY SIR.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 4:03pm On May 15, 2023
Yes it’s never the men’s fault
Stylz69:

Scenario 1: Woman Studying, Man Working: she has the students visa and therefore she is sponsor. Man works 40 hours shifts minimum while she studies and probably works 20 hours (if at all). He pays the bills and her fees off, she begins to make friends, maybe some give bad advice. She ditches him after she gets the post study visa and a good job offer… after all he is just a warehouse operative or cleaner

Scenario 2: woman works, man studies- same as above except she wants to keep money for herself than pay the fees. She saves up, decides what is she doing with a struggling student and enters an arranged marriage to get a quicker route to becoming a permanent resident.

Scenario 3: Either of the two above except one partner begins to blame the other for their suffering . Perhaps one was forced into the japa and absolutely hates the life of working to pay the bills and decides they want to return to Nigeria. They separate

Scenario 4: they actually succeed and make a good life but the woman wants it all so she claims the man hit her and he is sent out of the house.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 4:05pm On May 15, 2023
tppzzy01:
Who will Nigeria 🇳🇬 men go come Marry? If you marry a white she will divorce you and take better part of your fortune if not all. You marry your tribe or your Country women, she go divorce you and marry white or another rich black... Is this not a big problem? It's coming to a time where men and women will no longer marry again, they will just be saxing anyhow.
Conclusion: if you dey japa know that you will remain single for the rest of your life in abroad, until you're old and back home

Maybe there’s a reason why both white and black women leave them?

I mean introspection is an option but let’s blame everyone but the true culprits

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Dexy4yah(m): 4:12pm On May 15, 2023
My bro is regretting ever taking his wife to Europe.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by wallrichy: 4:16pm On May 15, 2023
Aaaaahhh, One chance Feminist and non ideal regular wife material. You want to use the guy Japa. Repent Jennyclay and face front....Lol

Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by LordPsalm(m): 4:17pm On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Very funny

The problem with you Nigerian men is that you think all the nonsense permitted in our society which you get away with, also applies there when you travel out, very funny.

There are so many women earning their living in Nigeria because the economy permits it, there are so many women earning more than their husbands in this Nigeria, so what exactly is the difference between Nigeria and U.K?

The real reason why Nigeriaan women refuse to take your bullshit abroad is because you think you can eat your cake and have it, the constant polygamous in nature bs, treating her like she is nothing, cheating anyhow, controlling mindset with subjugation and dominance, will not be tolerated in a society where people's mental state and health especially that of women is important for a sane and functioning society, unlike here that it is expected of women to remain in abusive marriages because society says so.

If you like keep being pained that Nigerian women are on a fvcking spree same as you men that take pride in it, something that has been going on and rampant in Nigeria what exactly will be the difference abroad? How exactly is it a new found freedom?

You nl boys really over rate yourselves sha.
This western society u praise.

Please tell me the punishment for a cheating wife.

Tell me the punishment for ur married wife who decides to birth u another man's child.

Inasmuch as the Nigerian law is not favoring women as much, The western law is built to kill men.

NB: 95% of those women who divorced their husband will live lonely. They will end up hiring young preeq that will scoop all she has made her entire life.

No be to divorce, what happens when loneliness kicks in?

Most of them are the victims of Yahoo boys cuz they hop online insearch of love and end up in the nest of scammers.

The western law looks as if its favoring women, look deeply into it, since this whole stuff, 1 in 4 of western women live on anti depressant.

Why are they still not happy despite this enormous freedom?

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 4:24pm On May 15, 2023
They all know the truth but let’s dance around the issue with bullshiet analysis

The marriages where the men treat their wives well last. And I mean men who understand the importance of treating their wives how they want to be treated aka the true Christian way not the “misogyny in disguise packaged into religion” way

JovialJune:

Very funny

The problem with you Nigerian men is that you think all the nonsense permitted in our society which you get away with, also applies there when you travel out, very funny.

There are so many women earning their living in Nigeria because the economy permits it, there are so many women earning more than their husbands in this Nigeria, so what exactly is the difference between Nigeria and U.K?

The real reason why Nigeriaan women refuse to take your bullshit abroad is because you think you can eat your cake and have it, the constant polygamous in nature bs, treating her like she is nothing, cheating anyhow, controlling mindset with subjugation and dominance, will not be tolerated in a society where people's mental state and health especially that of women is important for a sane and functioning society, unlike here that it is expected of women to remain in abusive marriages because society says so.

If you like keep being pained that Nigerian women are on a fvcking spree same as you men that take pride in it, something that has been going on and rampant in Nigeria what exactly will be the difference abroad? How exactly is it a new found freedom?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 4:28pm On May 15, 2023
Hydroxide:
The truth is most Nigerian women get married for survival. If a Nigeria woman has the same opportunity to make money without the help of their husband, I mean if they can make their own money, Their accounts reading millions, most Nigerian women won't even get married. That's why when they go abroad where the systems and institutions are working, when they can easily work and make their own money without the help of a man, marriages easily crash cos they know they can take care of their bills

Is it possible the way we socialize our men to view women might be the issue?

Are we going to be for real for once?

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 4:34pm On May 15, 2023
- Women giving wotowoto to all these Euro-wanabe African men. grin

- Marriage that is not Polygamy, is that one Marriage? Mtchew!
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Indigo2001(m): 4:53pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by shileowo: 4:59pm On May 15, 2023
can you feel like sleeping with 3 men a week without hurting youself
JovialJune:

Very funny

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by PDJT: 5:01pm On May 15, 2023
cococandy:

Is it possible the way we socialize our men to view women might be the issue?

Are we going to be for real for once?

- I think so. Some African men were socialized to be Eurocentric and a lot of them are quite confused. To think they migrate to Europe and not realise they are now equal partners in their relationship still beats my imagination. I mean which average European man would pick-up most household bills, let alone pay thousands to sponsor a supposed "partner" to acquire higher education, get a better career or pay for family relocation all by himself? Not a lot. If any.

-Marriage in Europe, and indeed in the West, is basically a business partnership. It's high time, African men in the West realise this and act accordingly - share bills 50:50, so that when the business comes to an end everyone will jog-on amicably..
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:12pm On May 15, 2023
PDJT:

- I think so. Some African men were socialized to be Eurocentric and a lot of them are quite confused. To think they migrate to Europe and not realise they are now equal partners in their relationship still beats my imagination. I mean which average European man would pick-up most household bills, let alone pay thousands to sponsor a supposed "partner" to acquire higher education, get a better career or pay for family relocation all by himself? Not a lot. If any.

-Marriage in Europe, and indeed in the West, is basically a business partnership. It's high time, African men in the West realise this and act accordingly - share bills 50:50, so that when the business comes to an end everyone will jog-on amicably..

Even in Nigeria men share bills with their wives. The problem is they do that and still expect her to take on all the domestic responsibilities.

Sharing bills has never been their issue. Their main problem is the expectation that the women be okay with disrespect

3 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Amumaigwe: 5:19pm On May 15, 2023
wonder233:
The simple reason is that the UK, like most places in the west is a place of freedom and economic empowerment especially for females. This brings out the true nature of Nigerian females who have been married purely for economic reasons which originates from vacuous trado-religious beliefs.
So a lady who sees it as an anathema for a woman to earn money is suddenly in a clime where she earns her own money at par or even more than the man. She automatically disregards him and leaps to the new found freedom of sleeping around with different men, which has always been their true nature, but are forced to conceal with false modesty cos of the conservative Nigerian society

This man

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bitingcool: 5:24pm On May 15, 2023
malcom1X:
The man fails to work on himself or improve himself. When he reaches there.

Indians, Chinese, Kenyans, people who are more educated than an average Nigerian do this same thing but you'll never hear them divorce. They settle their family issues.

But Nigerian women?

Hmmm 🤔

Don't put the blame on Nigeria women.

A couple travels abroad. The man refuses to enter kitchen or support in the home claiming African male. The woman works midnight shift. Tension starts.. problems brew.. unfortunately she has 'na abroad we dey' friends pumping her ears. b4 u know it.. divorce!!

Couples have lived abroad and prospered till old age. Lack of proper communication, understanding and teamwork will cause issues. Not Nigerian Women.
if we keep blaming the man or woman.. no solution will ever arise.

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Olatara(f): 5:25pm On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆
One million thumbs up for you.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by cococandy(f): 5:26pm On May 15, 2023
In Nigeria, however successful a wife is, she will think twice (may be 10 times) before summoning the courage to tell her husband, my dear please wash the plates in the kitchen, wash the clothes and spread them outside, and tidy up the room and the toilets

@delarue

So the success of marriages in Nigeria depends on overworked and abused women.

We should be ashamed of it

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by t2luv1: 5:27pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:

On one condition PRENUPTIAL signed and sealed before leaving Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / Should I Continue Giving Money To My Friend's Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.