Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK (41974 Views)

American Woman Sets Her Wedding Dress Ablaze In Divorce Photoshoot / Lottery Winner Transfers Millions To Mum So His Wife Won't Get Share In Divorce / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by tonicyril: 11:45am On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

Shior

So u re living in penury, and u will....mtcheew.
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by just2endowed: 11:45am On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko, Someone should come and take me to U.k, honestly I won’t end the relationship/marriage

dm
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by LordAdam16: 11:46am On May 15, 2023
@2mch

In DJ Khaled's voice:

"It's another one."

You dey underrate black women. Body never tell you.

-Lord
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by coputa(m): 11:46am On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
It is too much freedom.

Well, to me I still blame the men in such position, I no go sell my property, borrow money for us to travel you come reach foreign land make you come say you no do again. E no possible. We must talk am very well before we comot for Naija.
The point is that it's the women that always initiate the divorce.This speaks volumes about the character of the Nigerian woman.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 11:49am On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:
Were they truly "happily married" while still in Nigeria?

The Nigerian environment tends to subsidize a lot of unhealthy marriages and then tagged a "happy marriage".

A lot of things need unlearning but some are stuck in their ways... one said it was emasculating doing the dishes.😆😆😆

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

The project detailed how the UK system hits hard on Nigerian husbands who are so high on control and submission as the UK system deflates these. The researcher also brought up the demystication of income which counters many threads here that advocates a man should not let his wife know how much his income is but here in the UK, the wife knows it before it even reaches the man's account and the system forces the couples to be more open about their finances and they are forced to make joint decisions as it forces accountable leadership on husbands as against the lordship status, they "enjoyed" in Nigeria ....d person write many, many for the dissertation.😆😆😆😆

TBH, any couple serious about japa today need to settle and agree on a lot of stuff before leaving like the poster I quoted yesterday opined especially if they run the 'Nigerian' marriage here.

Would like to read the dissertation. Did he also go a step further to compare and contrast with Asians?

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 11:50am On May 15, 2023
princeabdul:
“ their husband also agreed to end the their marriages” did you heard from these husbands ??

Did you hear from wives that they are the cause of divorces?

4 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Smile4mee01: 11:51am On May 15, 2023
Na men dey love, women are in business.

There are many marriages that seemingly looks great in Nigeria, but the desire to move abroad is the beginning of the end of the marriage because the cultural foundation upon which many marriages are built in Nigeria is so different from abroad.

A good wife is truly a gift from God.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 11:51am On May 15, 2023
eben97:
Our marriages are subsidized here...a lot of things we claim as right(particularly for the man) over here appears totally wrong in UK and we know the average woman like "freedom of everything"!!and once UK system favors Thier course ,what do u expect ?there's no family member to report cases of misbehaviors to, no pastor (in real sense as most hardly attend church after sometime due to wanting to meet up Bills and satisfy desires) to help settle differences, and because the average woman can be short fused ,u see explosions interms of divorce.Most women over there won't cope with the family life style we manage with over here.So no matter the level of unity , understanding the couple display here in Nigeria, it would surely be tested overtime as they try to settle there, finally, negative influence from friends and other fully settled relatives play the major role here.

Marriages are subsidised here?

😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣 😂 😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣 😂

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by LordAdam16: 11:51am On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:

That reminds me of a draft dissertation of a Nigerian Psychology postgraduate student, I read and it was really insightful as it focused on the breakdown in marital relationships of some Nigerian migrants to the UK as the focus.

Would love to read that.

Any idea on how I could access it?

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by GloriousGbola: 11:52am On May 15, 2023
EBMedia:
A human right lawyer, Bolanle, has decried the high rate of divorce among ‘happily married' Nigerian couples after they relocate to the UK, IGBERETV reports.

He wrote on his Twitter handle;

https://twitter.com/BolanleCole/status/1657282890005196800?t=03ImUcp6y2jvwnJ8xWaP6A&s=19

The word happily married may not mean what you think it means. Just as financial success is a test of the strength of the marriage or maybe of each spouse's character, so is traveling to obodo oyibo.

It is what it is

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Acidosis(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2023
The important question is which religion has the highest divorce rate in the UK?

Marriage originated from religion and cultural practices. Divorce will be higher when you drift away from both.

3 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by baby124: 11:52am On May 15, 2023
Nigerian men and their bad character. They take it abroad not realizing they have to grown up, learn and change with the new system. Hear women’s stories and shiver.

6 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Hydroxide(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Very funny

The problem with you Nigerian men is that you think all the nonsense permitted in our society which you get away with, also applies there when you travel out, very funny.

There are so many women earning their living in Nigeria because the economy permits it, there are so many women earning more than their husbands in this Nigeria, so what exactly is the difference between Nigeria and U.K?

The real reason why Nigeriaan women refuse to take your bullshit abroad is because you think you can eat your cake and have it, the constant polygamous in nature bs, treating her like she is nothing, cheating anyhow, controlling mindset with subjugation and dominance, will not be tolerated in a society where people's mental state and health especially that of women is important for a sane and functioning society, unlike here that it is expected of women to remain in abusive marriages because society says so.

If you like keep being pained that Nigerian women are on a fvcking spree same as you men that take pride in it, something that has been going on and rampant in Nigeria what exactly will be the difference abroad? How exactly is it a new found freedom?

You nl boys really over rate yourselves sha.
The truth is most Nigerian women get married for survival. If a Nigeria woman has the same opportunity to make money without the help of their husband, I mean if they can make their own money, Their accounts reading millions, most Nigerian women won't even get married. That's why when they go abroad where the systems and institutions are working, when they can easily work and make their own money without the help of a man, marriages easily crash cos they know they can take care of their bills

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Goodman247: 11:55am On May 15, 2023
All these post about UK are sponsored by satanic agents, you cannot force people to stay in Nigeria or travel, everybody has its own free will

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 11:55am On May 15, 2023
xynerise:
The thing just tire me o. My uncle is going through same issue

What changed in you uncle's marriage?

Did they have a good marriage in Nigeria?

Not 'Nigerian' definition of good marriage. A marriage where they were both happy and respectable to themselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 11:56am On May 15, 2023
Bigmouth3:

What makes you think women's mental state of health is expecially more important?
This is the same character that makes you guys become lonely at 40 and 50 , clutching on teddy bears and crying every night .
Me me me me will be the death of you all.
Normally I don't even see myself living in any western world , expecially the UK. A lady there has paid almost 40million naira to a male friend of mine ,all in the name of marriage cos she is lonely in the UK. They already did a wedding here and she went back ,now the guy is building a house ontop her head all in the name of our future . U go suffer like her if u no get sense

Shut the fvck off and mind your business

How does it affect your lives existence if women are lonely at age 40 and 50?

Me me me yes me, it's no one's fault you do not put yourself first in any situation you find yourself, grow up and practice what we call self love, care and dignity.

The same loneliness is what a Nigerian man paid 40 million naira to a friend of mine cos he is lonely in the UK, you think it's only women that do such, senselessness.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by aswani(m): 11:56am On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
if you also take me there is it a bad thing??

This woman is too funny. Naija, despite it all, we still keep our sense of humour grin

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by edoairways: 11:56am On May 15, 2023
Crafteck1:

Nonsense talk from nonsense individual, if not for tithes and offering Christianity for don die.
That is a big fat lie

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Mimicle101: 11:56am On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:

Are you the same Jenny that wants men to learn to spend billions and trillions without expecting anything in return?

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by samsard(m): 11:57am On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Oh so you want Nigerian women to keep taking nonsense from men as it use to be in Nigeria abi?

Nigerian men exercise marriage freedom with their cheating and the rest right here in Nigeria, then take same freedom outside, why is it that you all get pained when Nigerian women also exercise same marriage freedom in a country where equality is the watch word? You want women to remain slaves instead of being free right?

The Nigerian system allows the men chase their wives out with nothing after divorce after building a household for years, nobody bats an eyelid, all of you see it as normal and not being evil right?, western world recognise that as far as the marriage is legal and binding, whatever is attained in the marriage belongs to the husband and wife, and will be shared equally or unequally as the case may be, but in your head the right thing is to leave the wife high and dry abi? that to you is being fair, just and sane? You think it's only men that get to part ways with half or more of their money? No woman has being in this situation before and ongoing?

The way you guys regurgitate same bile as if enlightened makes one see you all as below par, sincerely.
Calm down. I've seen people selling dependant visa slot. I've heard of people legally marrying their cousins so they can take he/she out with them. I have even heard of someone legally marrying their mother so they can japa with her. Some of it is not so deep.
The idea of sharing a man's life work 50:50 after a short divorce is and can never be fair. The Nigerian system is fairest where you go with what you acquired during marriage unless the husband wants to be generous. If the man stopped the woman from working then maybe she can ask for some compensation. Otherwise, marriage as a get rich scheme as seen in the West is ludicrous. A lot of men in the West are now opting against marriage because the idea of working for years and losing your wife and kids, plus half your pension, child support and everything else is a huge disadvantage to a man.
Someone noted that a lot of homeless men in the US just went through divorce and are even paying mortgage for a house that their wife is living in while they can't afford another.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by bukatyne(f): 11:57am On May 15, 2023
Blue86:
The thing is, in every geo location, there is a ruler of darkness influencing and perpetrating the darknesses in that location.

In U.K for instance, divorce is one of the darknesses.
So don't be surprised, when a lady lands in there, and gets influenced or seduced to divorce, and actually do it.

Just like in The States ; where Homosexuality is one of the prevailing darkness in it.
So don't be surprised when a lady or young man gets into that place, and suddenly says he or she has found her truth ; that they were born gay.

Therefore, don't be influenced by whatever God is against, that is prevalent in the geographical location you find yourselves.

Interesting take.

2 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 11:57am On May 15, 2023
princeabdul:
if at all you wrote this from your head ,then your head is a hollow tank .

If comprehension and assimilation failed you, means you have a pea brain.

4 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by DoreJoe(m): 11:58am On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:

Just take a look at your profile. grin shocked
Personal text: I'm far from your kind of ideal wife material. #Unapologetic feminist
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by rafcrown(m): 11:58am On May 15, 2023
Sponsoring a lady abroad or for further education can be compared with ponzi scheme.
Feed a monkey and the monkey can still bite you.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by eben97: 11:58am On May 15, 2023
JovialJune:

Enough with the bs gaslighting and ad hominem

Women didn't abuse the privilege of any system, they left abusive marriages because they can, same way men leave too. Women didn't divorce themselves, their husbands also agreed to end their marriages.
you don marry,??I you are not,else, there lots of temperamental ouburst out here that ain't required, other way round ...you opted out of your marriage !!na una worst case scenario be that.ñmarriage is designed to be worked out and not walked out of.Keep your wrong outburst of anger and bitterness out of marriage.Let all parties ensure they are all ready to make the thing work..abuse or no abuse.That man /woman that abused the other spouse tomorrow may eventually become a great role model after sorting out things and working to get the home front right.If all of us carry anger for head like some of una...there won't be homes to look after by now. Grow out and overcome your weaknesses gradually ,that's my language for all wanna be wedded or already IN

4 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by eben97: 11:59am On May 15, 2023
bukatyne:

Marriages are subsidised here?

😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣 😂 😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣 😂
need me to go into details please ?
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by pinkcottoncandy: 11:59am On May 15, 2023
no the reason is that Nigerian men expect the woman to do all the work in the house...take care of the kinds and serve him....and she will still go to work earn money and share the bills 50/50....while the man still wants to answer king

If the man can get down from his high horse and help the woman with the kids and house work the same way she is helping with the bills there will be no divorce

4 Likes

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ericmani: 12:01pm On May 15, 2023
malcom1X:
The man fails to work on himself or improve himself. When he reaches there.

Indians, Chinese, Kenyans, people who are more educated than an average Nigerian do this same thing but you'll never hear them divorce. They settle their family issues.

But Nigerian women?

Perhaps you don’t know, most of the marriages they’re talking about are “arrangee” for the japa pple..the man signs a contract to marry and sponsor the woman(especially nurses), just to make it easier for him to move. They then stay over there for a while and get a divorce. Na d new trend now, nurses na hotcake

Hmmm 🤔
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by ericmani: 12:02pm On May 15, 2023
Odin13:
Nigerian women are basically the problem.. take you wife to Uk and understand the phrase..” they don’t really know what they want”

. Another is the freedom that comes with it.. especially ones that claim they don’t love…and marry out of sentiment.. and the very young once’s that fantasize

. The shamelessly age without husband.. after dining with reality ..

Perhaps you don’t know, most of the marriages they’re talking about are “arrangee” for the japa pple..the man signs a contract to marry and sponsor the woman(especially nurses), just to make it easier for him to move. They then stay over there for a while and get a divorce. Na d new trend now, nurses na hotcake
Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by Scamburster(m): 12:02pm On May 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
You will, I know you. You can pretend.

1 Like

Re: Rise In Divorce Among Nigerian Couples After Relocating To UK by JovialJune(f): 12:03pm On May 15, 2023
eben97:
you don marry,??I you are not,else, there lots of temperamental ouburst out here that ain't required, other way round ...you opted out of your marriage !!na una worst case scenario be that.ñmarriage is designed to be worked out and not walked out of.Keep your wrong outburst of anger and bitterness out of marriage.Let all parties ensure they are all ready to make the thing work..abuse or no abuse.That man /woman that abused the other spouse tomorrow may eventually become a great role model after sorting out things and working to get the home front right.If all of us carry anger for head like some of una...there won't be homes to look after by now. Grow out and overcome your weaknesses gradually ,that's my language for all wanna be wedded or already IN

Women will continue to leave marriages filled with emotional abuse and domestic violence because THEY CAN, same as men, a trend that will continue to exist forever, nothing you can do about it.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Stop Having Sex In The Presence Of Your Kids — Lady Advises Nigerian Parents / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Marrying A Single Lady That Already Has A Baby? / Should I Continue Giving Money To My Friend's Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.