Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ (5692 Views)

Fayose Is On The Road To Self-destruction — Prof. Sagay / ‘Treat Jonathan With Care; Falae, Anenih Too Old To Be Jailed’ – Sagay To Buhari / Prof. Itse Sagay To Ihejirika(must Read) Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Ovularia: 2:11am On Sep 27, 2011
[size=13pt]Be assertive, Sagay, CD, CPC tell Jonathan[/size]
By Olusola Fabiyi and Olamilekan Lartey
Tuesday, 27 Sep 2011

Prominent Nigerians and groups on Monday took a swipe at President Goodluck Jonathan over his defence of his style of governance.

An opposition party, the Congress for Progressive Change, and the Campaign for Democracy, said that the President should be assertive in handling the affairs of the country.

An expert in constitutional law, Prof Itsay Sagay, SAN, also said that Jonathan’s statement on Sunday had potrayed him as a weak President.

During an inter-denominational service to mark the country’s 51st independence anniversary at the National Christian Centre, Abuja, over the weekend, the President had chided critics of his style and government.

The President had said, “Some Nigerians still want the President of this country to be a lion or a tiger; somebody that has the kind of strength, force and agility to make things happen the way they think.”

“I don’t need to be a lion, I don’t need to be Nebuchadnezzar, I don’t need to operate like the Pharaoh of Egypt, and I don’t need to be an army general. I can change this country without those traits.”

Jonathan had also said that there were forces that were bent on frustrating his administration. The forces, the President referred to as Goliaths.

But faulting Jonathan, the President of the CD, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, in an interview with one of our correspondents, said that “being assertive is different from being a Pharaoh or a lion.”

Okei-Odumakin said that the President must go beyond prayers and take actions that would move the country forward.

She stated, “People are dying and our President is making reference to biblical allusion. I am disappointed and angry. He should sit up. People paid for this democracy with their blood.”

The CD president also criticised Jonathan for saying world leaders, including the United States President, Barak Obama, commended him.

Okei-Odumakin stated that what should matter to the President should be his assessment by Nigerians, adding that he (Jonathan) should understand that “leadership is not bread and butter.”

Sagay said Jonathan’s intention at the church service was to give the impression that he was not an oppressor or a dictator, but had conveyed the impression he was not decisive and strong enough to tackle the nation’s problems.

He said, “He conveyed the impression that he is weak and does not have a sense of direction to take Nigeria forward. He could have said he was a David. David was close to God and very successful, but he did not claim to be that. He did not claim to be strong.

“What he conveyed was weakness and aimlessness. The late Obafemi Awolowo was not a dictator or an oppressor. He was an organised man who raised his region through careful planning to the leading position.”

“What we saw in the President’s statement was the negative. He needs to change his position which indicated weakness and planlessness.”

Also, the National Publicity Secretary of the CPC, Mr. Rotimi Fashakin, described the President’s outburst as “unfortunate.”

He said Jonathan had shown that he was not prepared to lead the nation and that his comment was an admittance of failure.

He said, “One of the greatest tragedies that can befall a nation is to have an unprepared person as its leader.

“Jonathan was never prepared to be Nigeria’s president. All he wanted to be was to be a university lecturer until someone brought him to come and assist him as a deputy governor.

“He again was brought out to be a Vice-President. He never aspired to be the arrow head of any group and that was why he never prepared to lead the nation.

“The death of his boss unfortunately catapulted him to the position of leadership instead of being a deputy leader. It is an unprepared leader who talks the way he spoke.

“He said he is not a general. Yet, he is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. Which rank is higher than that in the military?”

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109274231664
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:02am On Sep 27, 2011
Ovularia:

[size=13pt]Be assertive, Sagay, CD, CPC tell Jonathan[/size]

“What he conveyed was weakness and aimlessness. [/b]The late Obafemi Awolowo was not a dictator or an oppressor. He was an organised man who raised his region through careful planning to the leading position.”

[b]“What we saw in the President’s statement was the negative. He needs to change his position which indicated weakness and planlessness.”

The Bolded above are my best parts. Exactly my thots.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by doctokwus: 9:12am On Sep 27, 2011
Am one of dose who feels Jonathan shd b gven a chance and for us all to wish him d best;but dt speech he gave at d church service is one of d most UNINSPIRING,UNIFORMED,LACKLUSTRE,UNTIMELY speeches to av eva come out frm any nigerian ruler.If he drafted it himself,he shd leave d work for dose he employed to do so;if a speechwriter did,dat pson shd b shown d way out.
What d country needs now is a leader dt can galvanise us and tel us d impossible is probable;d probable is likely and d likely is assured,nothing less,particularly at dis turning point of our country's history.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Godmann(m): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2011
Snakes must craw we say in Igbo land. You cannot change from left handed to right handed in old age.

Why are we a people of deceit.

The people that elected an unintelligent, uninformed, unexposed, unprincipled slippery manipulator to rule us based on tribe and religion now wish they can remold him.

I just dey laugh.

The south have wasted our chance to change Nigeria for better with Jonathan and Obasanjo.

Next time, it must head to the North and we will continue in our winning.

What a racist unintelligent idoits we are to have elected "Jona Jona"- Mr fake Messiah.

What we sowed we are reaping. This is just but the beginning.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:21am On Sep 27, 2011
I honestly dont need a leader that kills my spirit at every given opportunity. A leader that exhumes hopelessness is a no-no to DEMDEM.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 27, 2011
Demdem:

I honestly dont need a leader that kills my spirit at every given opportunity. A leader that exhumes hopelessness is a no-no to DEMDEM.
same here!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Delafruita(m): 10:05am On Sep 27, 2011
Odechukwu retardeen can never improve.that's the way he will remain till thy kingdom come.unfortunately,the national assembly will never muster the willpower to impeach him and even when they do,we will be saddled with sambo who if i dare say,is worse.we have no choice but to wait till 2015 and by then,i hope people will be sensible enough to embrace the broom revolution
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by horny4u(f): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2011
9ja I hail ! ( The land of complain and no action)   grin grin grin grin

Was Jona not voted in by us.

Someone said snake must crawl, I tink  

We only get leaders not similar but EXACTLY  like us.

Majority of 9jas cannot careless what is happening around them as long as it does not affect them

so therefore if Jonathan not saying he does not care can not care less about 9jas ,

What is the screaming about ?

We donot celebrate dele giwa,  ken saro wiwa assertiveness !!!

Where was Prof Sagay when they were buying forms for election or is he not a Nigerian, he will not win shebi  not the point at least that would have shown active assertion to participate not criticise.

He talks about the great AWO ( who took action not words) who is now gone, Prof is alive and can act like AWO instead of asking this of another man.[s] Never ask of another what you have refused to do yourself[/s]

old men nodding wisely but speaking foolishly.

Lets be wise please
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by LagosBoi2(m): 10:28am On Sep 27, 2011
I have always known that he does not have the ability to lead a NATION like Nigeria, He is damm too weak.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Vavavoom(m): 11:21am On Sep 27, 2011
After the demise of Version 1.0 Go-Slow 2.0 grin is selected for upgrade by the controlling ''unseen hands'' - the owners of Nigeria.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by dabrake(m): 11:34am On Sep 27, 2011
D punishment for intellectuals who refused to 'accept'(or contest for) the mantle of leadership is that they wil b governed by fools. So prof., stop spewing gibberish here
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by obraye: 11:46am On Sep 27, 2011
The president should be supported to achieve his transformation agenda. If today the leadership of the country has decided to change strategies in moving this country forward, then we should support them. After all, for over twenty years the leadership of this country has been using strong hand, force, aggressiveness etc. yet Nigeria has not moved forward.We are classified as one of the poorest nation and so on.

It is time to change tactics and move the country forward.

What we need is a leader that is sincere and not a leader that uses force,aggressive or weak .

Let us not be sentimental and myopic in our reasoning.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by PointB: 11:49am On Sep 27, 2011
@topic

The cautious movement of a cat, should not be misconstrued as a sign of cowardice - Nigerian Proverb
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by otokx(m): 12:01pm On Sep 27, 2011
he will learn fast
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 12:09pm On Sep 27, 2011
PointB:

@topic

The cautious movement of a cat, should not be misconstrued as a sign of cowardice - Nigerian Proverb

Foget that thing. GEJ cant do jack. He himself has accepted his incapacity.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by PointB: 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2011
^^^
Like you can do better. Have you ever being a head of at least 50-member loosely affiliated adult group? How did you managed?
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Kobojunkie: 12:20pm On Sep 27, 2011
I cannot believe we still don't get it.  We need to admit what we have here today . . . . I don't see how telling him to be more positive will change what we have come to learn of this man. After over 12 years, I think it is all too clear that his style of government is likely not going to help us in the end. We need to stop living in DENIAL at this point in the game.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Kx: 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2011
PointB:

@topic

A chick that will grow into a rooster can be spotted the very day it hatches (African Proverb)
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 12:34pm On Sep 27, 2011
PointB:

^^^
Like you can do better. Have you ever being a head of at least 50-member loosely affiliated adult group? How did you managed?

grin grin grin
You will be amazed if u know who i truly are so your question is immaterial however GEJ requested for our votes promising heaven on earth. Ho told Nigerians that he was able and capable (though i knew he was lying and incapable because of his antecedents - so i didnt vote him). Now he is now eating his words like u did earlier that he isnt capable. Cant he just resign and save us all these stress?
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by ishekinah1(m): 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2011
@demdem Gej never promised us anything what he was just campaning with was he had no shoes. But, it is unfortunate the uninformed iliterate Nigerian masses emotionally put their future in the hand of one without manifesto.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by buzugee(m): 12:58pm On Sep 27, 2011
You cant win with nigerians can ya ? if this fool had uttered this in the babangida era he will have been kidnapped and killed. then they will say the leader is too tough and strict. then when he is nice and soft, they say he is a weakling. nigerians are funny. let the man be
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2011
i_shekinah:

@demdem Gej never promised us anything what he was just campaning with was he had no shoes. But, it is unfortunate the uninformed iliterate Nigerian masses emotionally put their future in the hand of one without manifesto.

Actually The Retardeen did. Check the below thread for few of those promises:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-648847.0.html
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by courage89(m): 1:12pm On Sep 27, 2011
"The greatest punishment to the wise who refuse to rule, is to suffer the ruling of idiots"
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by PointB: 1:22pm On Sep 27, 2011
@some comments,

We the 'ignorant Nigerians'  are having fun at the expense of the  informed yet bitter Nigerians!  grin grin grin
In our ignorance, we decided to choose a meek, humble man with little or no track record, because we believe in him.

We refused to accept the bigoted murderer called General Buhari not only because he had blood on his hands or because of his bigoted views; but also based on our believe that he is an old clueless Islamic fundamentalis; moreover we enjoy seeing him contest and lose every four years, and we hope to see him try and lose again in 2015.  grin grin grin grin

Now we the ignorant Nigerian are enjoying what we achieved, but the bitter one are angry and even more bitter for what we did. Because we are ignorant, we are happy, but because they are wise, they are bitter. Now which of  these two people are more likely to have a healthy live? The ignorant and meek, or the educated and bitter? Your guess is a good as mine!

If you are informed as you truly claim, then I truly pity most of you. Cos you failed to understand what happened in 2011 election. Buhari was not, is not, and will NEVER EVER be qualified to rule Nigeria! Chikena!  smiley smiley
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by moderatorr: 1:33pm On Sep 27, 2011
that retardeen beat buhari and other aspirants has down in that infamous election, now tell me, who is a greater retardeen.
First president to introduce a new type of democraly in nigeria, and other greater retardeens are requesting that he use the system that failed us!
For God's sake in democracy, the president is not the almighty, it is the members of the house and the people. Checkout obama's style of leadership , not far from Gej's pattern. Muslims are kicking against democracy everywhere in the world bc it doesnt give them d chance to cut off peoples hands and sit on the throne forever.
GEJ is investing more in education so that more muslims can go to school , esp northern ones!
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 1:33pm On Sep 27, 2011
The same kind of unreasonable missiles thrown everyday.

because we demand for efficiency, transparency, good governance etc from the government of the day, we are suddenly Buhari apologist. so unfortunate
Let Buhari be, i pray he enjoys his retirement. his phase on Nigerian political terrain seems to be over.
Lets talk about the Retardeen (thats the govt we all have now) who has categorically told us that he has no clue to how to take take us to the next level. Lets heat up his Bottom and wake him up from his slumber for our benefits.
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by speeder(m): 1:38pm On Sep 27, 2011
GEJ, I'm a fan of urs, but listen to wat this professor said. Its for the best,
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Demdem(m): 1:41pm On Sep 27, 2011
^^^^^^^

Now these are the true fans of the President that have the interest of the nation at heart
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by Beaf1: 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2011
FAKE Beaf where are you?

I know you have seen this. Your Boss have disgraced himself cheesy
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by mogentle(m): 2:37pm On Sep 27, 2011
PointB:

@topic

Why can't we just cage the cat and still hope it will kill many rats one day?
Another Retardeen response from another Complacent poster!! cool cool

When u dont even know your worth, any body can buy you up, even with a penny. It's your type that praise PHCN for bringing electricity once in a week. You will say 'at least they try now, what if they don't give us light at all', ,.,.,BULLSHIT!!!!!!!
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by dabrake(m): 2:43pm On Sep 27, 2011
moderatorr:

that retardeen beat buhari and other aspirants has down in that infamous election, now tell me, who is a greater retardeen.
[b[First president to introduce a new type of democraly in nigeria[/b], and other greater retardeens are requesting that he use the system that failed us!
For God's sake in democracy, the president is not the almighty, it is the members of the house and the people. Checkout obama's style of leadership , not far from Gej's pattern. Muslims are kicking against democracy everywhere in the world bc it doesnt give them d chance to cut off peoples hands and sit on the throne forever.
GEJ is investing more in education so that more muslims can go to school , esp northern ones!

new type of democracy? eg 7yr rule.
Like gej, lyk obama. Obama is also a drunk fisherman nah.
I cn c hw gej is investing in education. In a matter of jst few months, his wife became a dr.(ph.d/d.sc). Nigeria jagajagagej is investing in education. In a matter of jst few months, his wife became a dr.(ph.d/d.sc). Nigeria jagajaga
Re: Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ by PointB: 2:43pm On Sep 27, 2011
mogentle:

Why can't we just switch off the engine of the car and still hope we will get there one day.
Another Retardeen response from another Complacent poster!! cool cool

Another bitter Nigerian, from losers corner! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

NASS To Veto Jonathan’s State Of The Nation Address Bill / Israel PM Asks Ukraine President To Surrender To Russia / Genesis And Consequences Of Boko Haram Crisis By Ahmad Salkida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.