Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,246 members, 7,829,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486962 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

3 questions for you.

1. Would you rightly prefer to pay higher taxes or rather accept more brown and black people here to slave it out for you?

2. In what sustainable do you think the government should have funded the wage rise demands?

3. In a broad range, whay number of immigrants would the UK need to hit its sweet spot... i.e fund the 7% rise in addition to the NHS?

I'm not sure I understand question 1. Are you saying there is only a binary choice between higher taxation or higher immigration? I was in favour of the social care levy that Sunak introduced when he was chancellor before it was reversed by Truss. I obviously did not like the additional tax on my income but I accepted it if it would help rescue the NHS/ social care.

You do know the IHS was introduced about 8 or so years ago by Theresa May? It's not a recent phenomenon. It started at £200, but has been increased twice since -roughly doubling each time. It was only a matter of time before it would have been increased again, even if the Tory MPs had not written to Sunak.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 3:59pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

What if you shift it forward to a tjme you want to actually go for the holiday or ask if you can transfer it to someone else
I tried o. Airline is saying I will pay £98 to change date/destination. With this unrest in France, I don’t want to go.

Will be happy to transfer to someone if they can bear other costs like. It’s a 2 person holiday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:05pm On Jul 14, 2023
Zahra29:

I'm not sure I understand question 1. Are you saying there is only a binary choice between higher taxation or higher immigration? I was in favour of the social care levy that Sunak introduced when he was chancellor before it was reversed by Truss. I obviously did not like the additional tax on my income but I accepted it if it would help rescue the NHS/ social care.

You do know the IHS was introduced about 8 or so years ago by Theresa May? It's not a recent phenomenon. It started at £200, but has been increased twice since -roughly doubling each time. It was only a matter of time before it would have been increased again, even if the Tory MPs had not written to Sunak.

I did not infer.. only asked.

With tax thresholds frozen, there's a real fiscal drag and most people would invariably pay higher taxes. The question Zahra becomes, would you prefer the government increases taxes to fund the pay rise or would you rather black and brown immigrants pay?

The double taxation called IHS and visa fees may have increased with inflation... but an increase aimed at paying public sector workers higher wages has not been a matter of public discussion before. It's not like we never knew... it's just that there's now an acceptance of this fact.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 4:10pm On Jul 14, 2023
Hello everyone. Is anyone living around Whitehaven/ Workington and it’s environs? Please I would like to connect with you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 4:17pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

Hehe.. he's mouthing now. If na oyibo pikin tell am to jump, he'd say 'master how high'

Looking at himself as a lesser human would only stunt his growth moreso after 10months in. Hopefully, a 22 year old oyibo pikin resets his brain with well garnished insult.
It's why I advocate having the good mix in your circle and see your fellow compatriots rising up the ladder.

Finally, neo-colonialism is not a good thing. Ask most Nigerians where their ancestors are, they'd say in hell... i.e to them, every Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba person e.t.c who existed before Christianity and Islam is burning in hell. Tell me what else is needed to conquer a mans psyche.

We will get there

It is well smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2023
This your statement is baffling .. . Isn't IHS for all continents inc EU? .. .

jedisco:

With tax thresholds frozen, there's a real fiscal drag and most people would invariably pay higher taxes. The question Zahra becomes, would you prefer the government increases taxes to fund the pay rise or would you rather black and brown immigrants pay?

The double taxation called IHS and visa fees may have increased with inflation... but an increase aimed at paying public sector workers higher wages has not been a matter of public discussion before. It's not like we never knew... it's just that there's now an acceptance of this fact.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adefoluk: 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2023
Drop your email. I will reach out
ebukson:
Hi @adefoluk
Please I'll want to connect with you. I am trying to apply for the global talent visa and would need your help. Can we connect?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2023
Bourne007:

and you think the average EU citizen will pay that much for IHS fee when the Uk is not heaven

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 5:20pm On Jul 14, 2023
Bourne007:

That statement has an origin...
To quote 'The average Brexit voter certainly did not vote for increased immigration from black and brown countries...'

They don't want EU folks, dont want black and brown people, dont want a tax rise but want 7% wage rise a stagnant economy can't pay for.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 5:21pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

Just stumbled on this, oddly, when I search they're not many mainstream UK media reporting it. The UK openly admits immigration fees as an essential source of revenue. Simply means that for workers to get their 6-7% wage rise, there has to be a minimum number of immigrants coming thru. The recently touted 8yr wait period for an ilr makes more sense now. I wonder what those who 'did not vote for black and brown people' think about the this. Perhaps, they would get EU citizens willing to pay so much for little in return.

Take a married 28yo who comes here for masters. They'd pay:

Initial visa fee
Initial ihs fee for 1-2 yrs
Uni school fees

Then;
PSW fee
IHS fee again for 1-2 yrs

Then;
Tier 2 visa fee
IHS fee for 5 yrs.
ILR fee
Passport fee

All these are aside income tax and NI and very importantly, the economic footprint they bring.

After giving 8-9 years of their productive life to the the UK economy, a whole lot of these people would still be lower bracket income earners. The UK adds to their life but in far less measure than what they have brought.

Reason why I asked how many Brits of similar age have contributed as much.
Without immigration, this economy would crumble under its own weight

Well said....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 5:27pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

and you think the average EU citizen will pay that much for IHS fee when the Uk is not heaven

It's why I chuckle when I hear about an EU deal to plug the labour shortage.

This graph says it all. Expect a steeper decline from the EU with this new levy. Good luck crafting a deal that undermines the 4 pillars of the EU or getting EU folks to pay uni fees, IHS fee, T2 e.t.c and fund your 7% wage demand. Talk of slave labour.

I'm still wondering how many immigrants are needed to fund this wage rise.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:38pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

This graph says it all. Expect a steeper decline from the EU with this new levy. Good luck crafting a deal that undermines the 4 pillars of the EU or getting EU folks to pay uni fees, IHS fee, T2 e.t.c and fund your 7% wage demand. Talk of slave labour.

I'm still wondering what the sweet spot is

The EU has labour shortages too so which deal are they talking about. Abeg people should say things more reasonable jor, the same EU they chased away?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 6:01pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

Leave the guy
I stated my own opinion
He should state his
Instead he chose to be a fool

And you end up degrading to insults. It's a pity

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

Even Africans will soon wise up and go somewhere else or campaign for their country to be better. Is UK really worth additional increase in fees

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2023
Thastie:

I tried o. Airline is saying I will pay £98 to change date/destination. With this unrest in France, I don’t want to go.

Will be happy to transfer to someone if they can bear other costs like. It’s a 2 person holiday

I am scheduled to go as well in 2 weeks with my family so been monitoring it. So far it appears to have calmed down

The UK government’s advice to holidaymakers as of 10 July advises, "While the situation is now calm, you should monitor the media, check the latest advice with operators when travelling and follow the advice of the authorities."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/07/13/is-it-safe-to-travel-to-france-right-now-country-recovers-from-sixth-night-of-riots
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 6:21pm On Jul 14, 2023
Solumtoya:

And you end up degrading to insults. It's a pity

You skipped where he insulted me first or you just want to talk?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2023
LagosismyHome:

I am scheduled to go as well in 2 weeks with my family so been monitoring it. So far it appears to have calmed down

The UK government’s advice to holidaymakers as of 10 July advises, "While the situation is now calm, you should monitor the media, check the latest advice with operators when travelling and follow the advice of the authorities."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/07/13/is-it-safe-to-travel-to-france-right-now-country-recovers-from-sixth-night-of-riots
Alright, thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:14pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

White immigrants from Europe, US, Australia, Canada and others will also be affected by these increases.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

I'm still wondering how many immigrants are needed to fund this wage rise.

It's not just the wage rise. That's the excuse being used today, however they increased the surcharge twice over the last 10 years even when we were still in the EU and did not have these labour shortages or cost of living crisis.

Bottom line is they know they can get away with it, the public is largely supportive of any measures that make them feel that immigrants are not freeloading off the system, they know that immigrants will find a way to pay and still flock to the UK and the govt receives millions of pounds in what is basically an enforced state insurance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:28pm On Jul 14, 2023
Zahra29:

White immigrants from Europe, US, Australia, Canada and others will also be affected by these increases.

Lol...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:29pm On Jul 14, 2023
Sharp, expected drop in people coming into the UK expected

More stringent policies coming

Bracing up for impact grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:30pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

The average EU citizen is content to remain in their country though, riots and all.

However the govt knows that they are many others who will come here no matter how much the IHS is.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

That statement has an origin...
To quote 'The average Brexit voter certainly did not vote for increased immigration from black and brown countries...'

They don't want EU folks, dont want black and brown people, dont want a tax rise but want 7% wage rise a stagnant economy can't pay for.

Lol why are you worrying more than the chancellor?

To quote a favourite phrase on here, las las they will be alright 😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:17pm On Jul 14, 2023
Zahra29:

The average EU citizen is content to remain in their country though, riots and all.

However the govt knows that they are many others who will come here no matter how much the IHS is.

grin This is the kind of arrogance that got the uk to where it is now.

Those who wanted to stay are here already through the EU settlement scheme. The Uk is just fantasising, hardly will any EU citizen be willing to pay that much to access a service they can easily get for free in their home country.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DadR: 8:22pm On Jul 14, 2023
Greetings, my people!

The news of the imminent significant increase in IHS and Visa Fee don wake silent reader up o! grin Please, I need your kind opinion.

We are currently on Tier 4 visas which will expire towards the end of Sept. 2023. Also, my spouse has just been cleared by her school hence we are now eligible to apply for postgraduate study work visa .

While we are still exploring the possibilities of securing a job with Tier 2 sponsorship, our plan was to wait till a week before the expiration of our Tier 4 visas before applying for PSW visa with the hope of securing a Tier 2 sponsorship before then. But now, we are worried that the proposed increment in IHS and visa fees might take effect before the end of Sept 2023.

So, please, do you think this increment might happen sooner than we think or will they announce on a particular day and state that it will take effect in a month's time, for instance?

Should we just apply now to hedge the risk of not incurring any additional costs?

If the above is yes and we later apply, in a short while, to switch from PSW to Tier 2, will the Home Office refund the unutilized portion of the IHS paid for 2 years PSW?

Make una no vex for my long story o, I no fit sleep like dis cos na fam of 3 we be and dis additional cost no be small tin!

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
DadR:
Greetings, my people!

The news of the imminent significant increase in IHS and Visa Fee don wake silent reader up o! grin Please, I need your kind opinion.

We are currently on Tier 4 visas which will expire towards the end of Sept. 2023. Also, my spouse has just been cleared by her school hence we are now eligible to apply for postgraduate study work visa .

While we are still exploring the possibilities of securing a job with Tier 2 sponsorship, our plan was to wait till a week before the expiration of our Tier 4 visas before applying for PSW visa with the hope of securing a Tier 2 sponsorship before then. But now, we are worried that the proposed increment in IHS and visa fees might take effect before the end of Sept 2023.

So, please, do you think this increment might happen sooner than we think or will they announce on a particular day and state that it will take effect in a month's time, for instance?

Should we just apply now to hedge the risk of not incurring any additional costs?

If the above is yes and we later apply, in a short while, to switch from PSW to Tier 2, will the Home Office refund the unutilized portion of the IHS paid for 2 years PSW?

Make una no vex for my long story o, I no fit sleep like dis cos na fam of 3 we be and dis additional cost no be small tin!

Thank you!

I think you should calm down, there should be further announcements on when the new increase will kick off so keep an eye on it. If the increase will kick in before your September when you visa expires then I will advise you apply for your psw before the date the new increase starts. For now pursue your desire for work visa, you never know what’s ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefunmi2014: 9:20pm On Jul 14, 2023
Good evening all.

Please , I need help. I have been applying for credit card but not been successful. Please , how can I get credit card. I have been in UK for more than 18months and on skilled worker visa.

What is wrong with this people now?

Please help me oh
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by topellycategory: 9:21pm On Jul 14, 2023
Truth be told the guy is stating the fact we don't have to shy away from it.
It sad though , I hope one-day there is going to be a change to us..

dustydee:

How can you become citizen of a race? You forget that civilisation is incremental. What you see today was mostly built on concepts from the past. But enjoy your new "race". I am surpriced you are stil fratenising with us - "the uncivilised black race"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2023
Hi @SemmyK

I'm trying to reach you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2023
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

Please , I need help. I have been applying for credit card but not been successful. Please , how can I get credit card. I have been in UK for more than 18months and on skilled worker visa.

Please help me oh

The more you keep applying, the more red desperate ink appears on your record, the more they keep rejecting your applications..........

What you need to do -:.........

Register with Equifax, totally money and/or clearscore ...........

Then conduct a pre application credit card check............

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2023
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

Please help me oh

Are you registered on the electoral roll? Do you have monthly direct debits set up on your bank account? If the answer to the questions are yes, then you just need to give it a bit of time. Check that you are pre-approved as @Lexusgs430 suggested before re- applying..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:04pm On Jul 14, 2023
Peerielass:

Are you registered on the electoral roll? Do you have monthly direct debits set up on your bank account? If the answer to the questions are yes, then you just need to give it a bit of time. Check that you are pre-approved as @Lexusgs430 suggested before re- applying..

If after 18 month's, OP is not on the electoral roll........ Let's just shut this thread down......... 😁😂

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Yemite14557, ubby26 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.