Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,877 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460847 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 12:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
koonbey:

1 working day.
Really?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 12:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
LondyC:

3 weeks
Alright
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:18pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

Big answer to those who say immigrants contribute nothing much to the almighty Uk.

Sunak just admitted that for the govt to take care of it’s people by increasing wages, they need more money from immigrants else they can’t pay grin

Just stumbled on this, oddly, when I search they're not many mainstream UK media reporting it. The UK openly admits immigration fees as an essential source of revenue. Simply means that for workers to get their 6-7% wage rise, there has to be a minimum number of immigrants coming thru. The recently touted 8yr wait period for an ilr makes more sense now. I wonder what those who 'did not vote for black and brown people' think about the this. Perhaps, they would get EU citizens willing to pay so much for little in return.

Take a married 28yo who comes here for masters. They'd pay:

Initial visa fee
Initial ihs fee for 1-2 yrs
Uni school fees

Then;
PSW fee
IHS fee again for 1-2 yrs

Then;
Tier 2 visa fee
IHS fee for 5 yrs.
ILR fee
Passport fee

All these are aside income tax and NI and very importantly, the economic footprint they bring.

After giving 8-9 years of their productive life to the the UK economy, a whole lot of these people would still be lower bracket income earners. The UK adds to their life but in far less measure than what they have brought.

Reason why I asked how many Brits of similar age have contributed as much.
Without immigration, this economy would crumble under its own weight

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

Big answer to those who say immigrants contribute nothing much to the almighty Uk.

Sunak just admitted that for the govt to take care of it’s people by increasing wages, they need more money from immigrants else they can’t pay grin

cheesy

E never even reach 1 week that I spoke about the moaning and moaning and then squeezing the necks of legal immigrants

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:13pm On Jul 14, 2023
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
This civil services you mentioned, do they give sponsorships for BA, PM or DA roles?

They would sponsor people that complete their studies in the UK, will less than 26k£ salary, in as much it’s not written in the job description that people needing sponsorship in future should not apply.

But most will ask that will you have the right to work uptill the start date of the role.

A friend was sponsored on 22k salary with civil service, and the role is more customer service related.

Basically people that studied in the Uk can be sponsored with less 70-80% salary of the job ongoing rate.

My hypothesis is that administrative role in private or band 3, 4 and above in NHS could be sponsored should you finish your studies in Uk ( bachelor, master, phd, etc ) just try to get the job and start the role, if I were you I wouldn’t bother asking during the interview or before final confirmation, but be quite sure that you are sure that you can be sponsored, or your company is on sponsorship list and possibly enlighten your hr by also printing the government guidance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

Just stumbled on this, oddly, when I search they're not many mainstream UK media reporting it. The UK openly admits immigration fees as an essential source of revenue. Simply means that for workers to get their 6-7% wage rise, there has to be a minimum number of immigrants coming thru. The recently touted 8yr wait period for an ilr makes more sense now. I wonder what those who 'did not vote for black and brown people' think about the this. Perhaps, they would get EU citizens willing to pay so much for little in return.

Initial visa fee
Uni school fees

Then;
PSW fee

Then;
Tier 2 visa fee
IHS fee for 5 yrs.
ILR fee
Passport fee

All these are aside income tax and NI and very importantly, the economic footprint they bring.

After giving 8-9 years of their productive life to the the UK economy, a whole lot of these people would still be lower bracket income earners. The UK adds to their life but in far less measure than what they have brought.

Honestly am shocked that a British PM could openly say they will have to fund pay rises from what legal immigrants will pay. Though to some it looks as a subtle way to reduce net migration but I see it as a final punch to the arguments the right wing extremists always have about the influx of immigrants.

Sunak just openly agreed with your conclusion here that this economy will collapse without immigration. Anybody still arguing should just go and watch that Sunak video. The man may have hurt many Brits egos with this.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2023
hustla:

cheesy

E never even reach 1 week that I spoke about the moaning and moaning and then squeezing the necks of legal immigrants

This na the original stop the boats not the Rwanda noise grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2023
Nelsmannnnnnnnn:
This is brilliant!!!

Sincerely, @semmyk will end his statement with (“The advice herein are not construed as legal advisory as contemplated in law“)

But low-key when you follow his advice, omo, it’s perfectly legal,

I followed one of his advice about excluding me from witnessing a neighbour of mine in court I was later exempted with his advice and guidance, my bad for not thanking him on the advice.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:30pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

Honestly am shocked that a British PM could openly say they will have to fund pay rises from what legal immigrants will pay. Though to some it looks as a subtle way to reduce net migration but I see it as a final punch to the arguments the right wing extremists always have about the influx of immigrants.

Sunak just openly agreed with your conclusion here that this economy will collapse without immigration. Anybody still arguing should just go and watch that Sunak video. The man may have hurt many Brits egos with this.
That video settles the arguments we've heard hear that legal immigrants are not economic liability to the UK government, it simply reinforces the fact that they are integral part of the government which they can't do without.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

This na the original stop the boats not the Rwanda noise grin

grin

Let the immigrants breefff
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

Where can I find the video pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:48pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

Initial visa fee
Uni school fees

Then;
PSW fee

Then;
Tier 2 visa fee
IHS fee for 5 yrs.
ILR fee
Passport fee

Without immigration, nearly every country in the modern world would crumble, including Nigeria who relies on Chinese workers and companies for example

You guys are missing the valid points that have previously been made.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:53pm On Jul 14, 2023
MonkeySee:
The normal rate for the immigration health surcharge will increase from *£624 to £1,035 per year*. This will be paid by workers entering for a period of six months or more and the family members of migrants and British citizens alike.

The discounted rate for students, children and youth mobility visa holders will be increased from *£470 to £776 per year*. The minister announcing the measure explicitly stated that this increase “would fund the pay rise for doctors” that was announced earlier.

To add to the above:

[
Immigration and nationality fees will be increased as well. Work and visit visas will rise by 15%. Student visas, certificates of sponsorship, settlement, citizenship, entry clearance and leave to remain applications by “at least 20%”
To give you an idea of what we are talking about, the cost of a settlement application will therefore rise to at least £2,885 per person. For a family of four, that will be over £11,500 in total before legal costs.
Employers with foreign nationals should be mindful of the effect of such fee increases on their budget assessments.

(Copied)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:04pm On Jul 14, 2023
Raalsalghul:

That MMIA is just another Nigerian disgrace in a class of its own.

Been opportune to be at Qatar Airport, Shenzhen Baon, Heathrow and KLIA: mega-sized airport projects, large, mini-cities, sophisticated hubs with rail/bus transport links connected to their respective cities.

Comparing these to MMIA leaves you shedding tears.😀

Bros they said africa was once the most civilized place lol abeg dead the matter for them. They call hunting lion with spear civilization or building groundnut pyramids. Lol abeg make we leave matter

People who are dying to be citizen of the same race they say havent done anything special.

They should ask themself why exactly they are dying to be the citizen of the race they claimed has not done anything special.

Do u know what it means to spend millions just to be the citizen of another race, and u claim the race is not special lol

Some one sent link of people inventing potato chips. Lol.

I looked at the list and the top three are blacks from europe or america i dint even bother looking at the list again.

Another person said because monzo or llyods dont send pdf it means they are not advanced. So u think if llyods wants to send you pdf they cant? Pdf o. Lol.

We are stating facts they are saying we are putting our race down.

For good 60 years we cant achieve steady power supply 60 good years. Haba. Rccg generates its own power oyedepo does the same why cant a country have steady light basic amenity.

Postal system is in shambles
Rail system in shambles.
National stadium in shambles.
And u r saying we are putting our race down.

We dey talk fact some ppl dey vex

See our national airport
Looks like a bakery no system in place
No automation
No organization
Nothing
Nothing to write home about

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

Bros they said africa was once the most civilized place lol abeg dead the matter for them. They call hunting lion with spear civilization or building groundnut pyramids. Lol abeg make we leave matter

People who are dying to be citizen of the same race they say havent done anything special.

They should ask themself why exactly they are dying to be the citizen of the race they claimed has not done anything special.

Do u know what it means to spend millions just to be the citizen of another race, and u claim the race is not special lol

Some one sent link of people inventing potato chips. Lol.

I looked at the list and the top three are blacks from europe or america i dint even bother looking at the list again.

Another person said because monzo or llyods dont send pdf it means they are not advanced. So u think if llyods wants to send you pdf they cant? Pdf o. Lol.

We are stating facts they are saying we are putting our race down.

For good 60 years we cant achieve steady power supply 60 good years. Haba. Rccg generates its own power oyedepo does the same why cant a country have steady light basic amenity.

Postal system is in shambles
Rail system in shambles.
National stadium in shambles.
And u r saying we are putting our race down.

We dey talk fact some ppl dey vex

See our national airport
Looks like a bakery no system in place
No automation
No organization
Nothing
Nothing to write home about
How can you become citizen of a race? You forget that civilisation is incremental. What you see today was mostly built on concepts from the past. But enjoy your new "race". I am surpriced you are stil fratenising with us - "the uncivilised black race"

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:32pm On Jul 14, 2023
dustydee:

How can you become citizen of a race? You forget that civilisation is incremental. What you see today was mostly built on concepts from the past. But enjoy your new "race". I am surpriced you are stil fratenising with us - "the uncivilised black race"

Sir or ma i am not putting our race down or whatever u think. Lets be truthful to ourself

When they were laying the map and plotting moves of building ships and weapon and skyscrappers 500 years ago what were we doing then?

Anyhow sha lets leave the matter. Everybody sha know the truth deep down in their minds

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2023
Goke7:

I think Sunak is playing a political game here and being brutal but factual. Recently, a number of Conservative MPs had written to him itemising elaborate means of reducing legal migration without considering the antecedent effect on the economy. With this, such letters would be more guarded

This move is a response to them and challenge to the wider sentiment. Your 7% pay rise in a stagnant economy has to come from somewhere.

Spending cuts? Which among the biggest 4 of education, defence, health and social care have not been underfunded
Tax rise? A sure election looser. Even the most ardent brexiter would rather vote for more fee paying 'black and brown folks' than be responsible and tolerate a tax increase to pay for what they consume

What I find worrying is that aside increasing levies on poorly paid immigrants, there is no other plan to fund a whooping 7% public wage rise
Secondly, IHS is double taxation. Those on work visas already pay NI and income tax. Why do they have to pay a separate levy?

Next thing would be an increase in the lenght of time to ILR... they'd say it's to foster better integration.
I've been searching online and the UK mainstream media has been silent on this. Please share a link if you see one

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:38pm On Jul 14, 2023
dick riding

lol.. my goodness.. yet again, another emotions over logic and reality in this forum.. .

The first step to solving an issue is to first acknowledge that we have an issue at hand..

denying it or trying to be emotional will never be a good first step..

Have you ever asked why our race perform better when they leave Africa

Having natural resources (which Africa has) means not if the natural resources can't be transformed and managed to provide value.

We are decades (x5 or x10) from being able to compete unfortunately...

truth is bitter but we have to taste it to move forward

kwakudtraveller:

You are absolutely right and I get your point but this doesn’t always have to be the narrative. At some point we need to applaud the positives as well. The dick riding of the other race dey always annoy me sha. But yea, I agree with you!

Also, the white man is cutting the cheques because he sees the value we don’t see in ourselves.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2023
Zahra29:

Without immigration, nearly every country in the modern world would crumble, including Nigeria who relies on Chinese workers and companies for example

You guys are missing the valid points that have previously been made.

3 questions for you.

1. Would you rightly prefer to pay higher taxes or rather accept more brown and black people here to slave it out for you?

2. In what sustainable do you think the government should have funded the wage rise demands?

3. In a broad range, whay number of immigrants would the UK need to hit its sweet spot... i.e fund the 7% rise in addition to the NHS?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:44pm On Jul 14, 2023
One thing that marvels me is how a disable person can live a normal life abroad.

The architects who design building such as hotels, apartments, car park, already considered disable people, there is a level slop for them to wheel themself into the building

What about buses, the manufacturer already considered disable people, they can easily wheel themself in the public bus and all the driver has to do is drop down some steps

Even hospital building, they have a special entry way to pass

Shey na u wey dey wheel chair wan enter brt for ikorodu bus stop? Who go stop for u or who go carry u? Bus wey abled people never see chance enter na u wey dey wheel chair wan enter?

These things may look little but its a lot to disabled people

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:56pm On Jul 14, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:57pm On Jul 14, 2023
For those looking for the link- starts at abt 4:58
Funny how despite the UK mainstream media attending the brief, in reporting, they’ve been largely silent on the visa fee increase. Imagine a headline line 'Immigrants to shoulder 7% public sector pay increase'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9aN9XlIm6A

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:
One thing that marvels me is how a disable person can live a normal life abroad.

Dude after you're done being in awe, start building yourself.
Looking diwn on yourself and your ilk shatters your confidence and only keeps you at the bottom rung of the economic ladder in this society.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:11pm On Jul 14, 2023
jedisco:

Dude after you're done being in awe, start building yourself.
Looking diwn on yourself and your ilk shatters your confidence and only keeps you at the bottom rung of the economic ladder in this society.

Isn't it on this same thread we said people should try to aspire for Better jobs than care and people got angry and said all sorts?

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AltCtrlDel: 3:12pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

The architects who design building such as hotels, apartments, car park, already considered disable people, there is a level slop for them to wheel themself into the building

What about buses, the manufacturer already considered disable people, they can easily wheel themself in the public bus and all the driver has to do is drop down some steps

Even hospital building, they have a special entry way to pass

Shey na u wey dey wheel chair wan enter brt for ikorodu bus stop? Who go stop for u or who go carry u? Bus wey abled people never see chance enter na u wey dey wheel chair wan enter?

These things may look little but its a lot to disabled people

It’s called REASONABLE ADJUSTMENT under the Equality Act 2010.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 3:14pm On Jul 14, 2023
hustla:

Isn't it on this same thread we said people should try to aspire for Better jobs than care and people got angry and said all sorts?

cheesy

Leave the guy
I stated my own opinion
He should state his
Instead he chose to be a fool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:17pm On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

Leave the guy
I stated my own opinion
He should state his
Instead he chose to be a fool

Choi, no vex o
Every mallam with the way them see life

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2023
Abeg why are people selling pounds 1100 nau. You people should pity us o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thastie(f): 3:30pm On Jul 14, 2023
Hi guys,

I’m stuck with a non refundable holiday/ flight ticket. If I cancel I’ll lose 351£. Dunno what to do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2023
hustla:

cheesy

Hehe.. he's mouthing now. If na oyibo pikin tell am to jump, he'd say 'master how high'

Looking at himself as a lesser human would only stunt his growth moreso after 10months in. Hopefully, a 22 year old oyibo pikin resets his brain with well garnished insult.
It's why I advocate having the good mix in your circle and see your fellow compatriots rising up the ladder.

Finally, neo-colonialism is not a good thing. Ask most Nigerians where their ancestors are, they'd say in hell... i.e to them, every Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba person e.t.c who existed before Christianity and Islam is burning in hell. Tell me what else is needed to conquer a mans psyche.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 3:40pm On Jul 14, 2023
Thastie:
Hi guys,

I’m stuck with a non refundable holiday/ flight ticket. If I cancel I’ll lose 351£. Dunno what to do

What if you shift it forward to a tjme you want to actually go for the holiday or ask if you can transfer it to someone else

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Tstone1(m), KingDemolah(m), abuhusna1, hayesconcept(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.