Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,502 members, 7,850,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:21 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (520822 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (579) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:02pm On Jul 15, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

Thank you for your response.

I am on tier 2 visa. My Visa expires next year but my contract is renewable..

do you have a Monzo account? perhaps you can start with Monzo Flex
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2023
genkins:

Uphold doesn't operate in nigeria.i tried to use VPN but I need a mailing address..that aside.pls can uphold credit a pounds domicially account in Nigeria?
Sorry about that I am using it in the uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 2:48pm On Jul 15, 2023
How does Monzo flex works please? I’m also looking for how to boost my credit score and get a credit card please

Goke7:

do you have a Monzo account? perhaps you can start with Monzo Flex
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Meogom: 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2023
Bourne007:
So you wan follow suit cheesy .. .

Overspeeding .. . She was asked to produce DL which she did but the international DL wasn't accepted. She was then asked to produce naija DL but couldn't hence taking to court.

Na wah o, had the same Overspeeding issue and my international driving licence was accepted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by genkins(m): 3:13pm On Jul 15, 2023
abuhusna1:

Sorry about that I am using it in the uk
Ok.but can you withdraw to your pounds domiciliary acct in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2023
jedisco:

Go to page 86 and see the origin of 'black and brown'. After that, you could raise it up again.

A win-win I see.

Let me break it down for you. This is like your boss taking from your salary to pay for the road trip of your work colleagues. You then call it a win-win cos you were also on the bus and that you alone paying for the whole trip prevented everyone from contributing their fair share.

This move means that immigrants are left poorer (cue inflation) irrespective of whatever salary increase they receive just so Brits can have more in their pockets. This creates inequalities. Read through polished 'right sounding statements'

No your analogy is incorrect and a misrepresentation of the actual situation.

How about this. You left your former boss because of reasons best know to you and approach a new boss, and the boss gladly welcomes you on the condition that you have to make a mandatory contribution to be able to join the company and enjoy all the benefits including the road trips, the initial money you paid will be directly towards improving the experiences and living condition of everyone in the road trip including you, you only pay the fee once and all new entrants are mandated to pay it. You have the option to reject the offer and go back to your previous employer but you chose to accept it and then accuse the employer of making you poorer

I am not in support of the increased fee (I personally will have to pay for it as well), but championing the narrative that the Brits are subjecting immigrants to unfair hardship and extortion is incorrect. The UK has successfully transformed the lives of lots of immigrants and they've accessed opportunities that they can only dream of in their home countries.

There are folks (mostly settled immigrants) who charges fellow immigrant £12k for COS, yet nobody is calling them out for it.

We live in a capitalist society and when the demand is high and supply is limited, the supplier will push the price up. There has been a record high immigration to the UK and they might as well use to opportunity to it's fullest, which is what any business man will do in that situation.

If you believe paying the fee to move to the UK will make you poorer, then by all means stay in your country and remain richer.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

The leaders are the problem because if there are no consequences at the top, why would there be consequences at the bottom. People might as well continue to do a lot of bad because they know that they’ll get away with it. People obey the laws in the UK because if they get caught, they get in a shit ton of trouble.

An example is Lagos state and the introduction of road enforces called VIO and Lastma, the mere introduction of this made drivers get their car papers in check, their driver’s license and a lot of people even stopped driving in restricted lanes. But of cause, with the introduction of a new governor, those same enforcers became very corrupt because no one would check them.

The people are just as bad as the kind of leaders that they have and this is a hill I’m willing to die on.

There is a saying : "In a democracy, people get the government they deserve."

This is true in the UK with the current govt which many voted for out of ignorance and misplaced blame and it's true in Nigeria.

If the people are as bad as the leaders, then you cannot blame just the leaders if the country is bad😕
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

My credit score is above 5oo points.

500 small in my opinion o.
Try to make it 650 nau. U can use loqbox to jack it up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:01pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Imagine Daily Mail and The Sun being anyone’s reference point for unbiased news, those 2 news outlets were recently in the news for racist reporting.

My former boss came into the UK last month with his dad for some treatment, everything paid in full but no, we are all "abusing" the system. For once, I would like to see some good about us as a continent and nation promoted.

The health tourism saga (cos it was more than a few headlines) was reported by the BBC and other more liberal/independent outlets. The BBC even made a documentary about it.

We all know people who paid for their treatment here. I know someone who recently had to pay over £10k when his parent was treated in a hospital here and diagnosed with cancer. They then flew them to India for treatment as it was a lot cheaper.
But it doesn't negate the fact that there are many who don't (or who didn't) pay. You're saying you don't know of people who gave birth here or in the US and flew back without paying the hospital bills?

It's the many who eventually cause changes in policies in the UK, the US e.g. US visa officers checking that all bills have been settled before visa renewals etc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:08pm On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

that is why some of us will not keep quiet here, compared to other ethnic groups, Nigerians are still one of the most behaved in this country. I have seen all manner of worse behaviours and even more from the Brits themselves and other nationalities who abuse their own system much more but No na we dey owe NHS pass as far as some people are concerned, real rubbish. Imagine someone even saying most of our development back home are funded by the UK, chai

I'm not saying Nigerians are not well behaved oh but "Nigerian prince" , 419 and other scams have become very well known here. "Nigerian prince" even got referenced on love island a few weeks ago, a show watched by millions. So while they might not be running around in gangs, fraud is more closely associated with nigerians in the UK than any other African country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 4:10pm On Jul 15, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

Try loqbox to save at least £20 a month, and download clearscore app to keep track of your credit score and determine your chances of getting any card approved. But make sure you waited at least three months before applying for any credit cards.
You can use my referral link to open your loqbox account
https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=GJOHQHRURH&referral_channel=link

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:19pm On Jul 15, 2023
heroshark:

No your analogy is incorrect and a misrepresentation of the actual situation.

You have the option to reject the offer and go back to your previous employer but you chose to accept it and then accuse the employer of making you poorer

I am not in support of the increased fee (I personally will have to pay for it as well), but championing the narrative that the Brits are subjecting immigrants to unfair hardship and extortion is incorrect. The UK has successfully transformed the lives of lots of immigrants and they've accessed opportunities that they can only dream of in their home countries.

There are folks (mostly settled immigrants) who charges fellow immigrant £12k for COS, yet nobody is calling them out for it.

We live in a capitalist society and when the demand is high and supply is limited, the supplier will push the price up. There has been a record high immigration to the UK and they might as well use to opportunity to it's fullest, which is what any business man will do in that situation.

If you believe paying the fee to move to the UK will make you poorer, then by all means stay in your country and remain richer.

Well said....any immigrant who moved to the UK in the last 5 years should have been well aware of the IHS and planned accordingly. Yes it's gone up, but so has every product and service in the last few years.
It's the complaining about double taxation when they knew the T&Cs before freely applying for a visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2023
heroshark:

The idea that 'oh your country does not treat you any better' is not a tenable excuse for unjust treatment in any modern society else that'd be a good excuse for racism, slavery, prostitution e.t.c. oh! you were called a monkey in your workplace?...well your country does not treat you any better so shut it.

Also hiding behind capitalism is not also an a answer to this else the NHS, social housing e.t.c would be toast. The government exists for that very reason.

Immigrants make more than their fair share of contribution- thats called tax, NI, school fees, the skills they bring, economic footfall, while having no recourse to public funds'
Forcing them to shoulder the wage rise of others while still bearing the cost of living crises is unfair. It means many would be condemned to the bottom rung of the society.

P.S. I would not be paying the new visa or IHS fee as those would be fully covered by my employer (should I need to reapply) but that does not mean I should make excuses for an unfair system.

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:59pm On Jul 15, 2023
DadR:
Thank you, Chief!

I hope the increment is not about to happen with this planned maintenance. 😂

Am hearing it has been implemented, chai this is bad mhen, no update whatsoever, just a press conference and direct implementation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:27pm On Jul 15, 2023
hustla:

Isn't it on this same thread we said people should try to aspire for Better jobs than care and people got angry and said all sorts?

cheesy

Once some people start earning change from HCA job they just give up on their dreams. Well maybe their dreams is to become care worker 🤷🏽‍♂️
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2023
Zahra29:

The health tourism saga (cos it was more than a few headlines) was reported by the BBC and other more liberal/independent outlets. The BBC even made a documentary about it.

We all know people who paid for their treatment here. I know someone who recently had to pay over £10k when his parent was treated in a hospital here and diagnosed with cancer. They then flew them to India for treatment as it was a lot cheaper.
But it doesn't negate the fact that there are many who don't (or who didn't) pay. You're saying you don't know of people who gave birth here or in the US and flew back without paying the hospital bills?

It's the many who eventually cause changes in policies in the UK, the US e.g. US visa officers checking that all bills have been settled before visa renewals etc

The only person I know who did not in fact pay for their full fees in the US got a 10 year ban and that was a fair treatment for her situation. I do not know anyone who travelled and did not pay, all the people that I know paid for this service in full. If policies were changed because people abused the system then yes, it makes sense BUT how does this correlate to the increase in IHS surcharge, especially as a good number of people pay their taxes but would still be required to pay a huge amount for IHS or the fact that people cannot simply renew their visas without this fee so how can anyone abuse it?

The idea that people should not complain about something that affects them is just wild. Like we must remain mute in policies that affect us because Nigerians are "bad"? 🫤

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:35pm On Jul 15, 2023
Zahra29:

I'm not saying Nigerians are not well behaved oh but "Nigerian prince" , 419 and other scams have become very well known here. "Nigerian prince" even got referenced on love island a few weeks ago, a show watched by millions. So while they might not be running around in gangs, fraud is more closely associated with nigerians in the UK than any other African country.
Wasn’t it revealed in 2020 that one of these "Nigerian Prince” was a Caucasian man based in the US? Begs the question of how many of these scammers are actually pretending to be Nigerians.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna833801

I’ve never actually seen you share anything good about Nigerians as you must find a way to interweave a negative to buttress your point. Nairaland is a very public forum and when people google things about a country, this is part of what they see.

18 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:42pm On Jul 15, 2023
harddrive2012:
How does Monzo flex works please? I’m also looking for how to boost my credit score and get a credit card please

On your app, check it though it will still do a credit check

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2023
Schoolhike:

Another angle to this is that, securing a job with less than 2 months left on the visa might be a little bit off to some employer most especially those that can’t sponsor, except if you are only pursuing sponsorship jobs.

Last year December, I locked up not to only apply for jobs that can sponsor, so I started applying to jobs that can’t sponsor after getting the psw, eventually got one, after 4 months on the job, like 10 of us in the company were made redundant, eventually got another one (which would probably come with sponsorship from my research), after a month of thorough searching with lots of interviews rounds like 2 in a week,

(then I remembered an advise from the thread that not to be too loyal with a company when opportunity arise, some other opportunities did arise when on that job, but turned a blind eye)

Well all in all, would advise you apply as soon as possible cos of the increment and also be able to apply for jobs without the fear of an expiring visa which some employer might take serious because sincerely, I got to know during my job search that the competition out there is stiff, compared to when I came in in 2021.

Competition is very stiff. It’s hard to get an interview this days
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:48pm On Jul 15, 2023
harddrive2012:

Monzo flex is now like a credit card......... Monzo now offers you a physical card, with your Monzo flex account.........

But Monzo conducts a hard search....... They would knock your credit report so hard, your village people go hear the knock........ 🤣😂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2023
lavida001:

Once some people start earning change from HCA job they just give up on their dreams. Well maybe their dreams is to become care worker 🤷🏽‍♂️

Dreams are different... And valid wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Imagine calling people’s view on neocolonialism nonsense just to sound politically correct. The UK gains way more from Africa’s natural resources annually than the change they give in the guise of "aid". Na our leaders I blame, if they didn’t mess up the country to the point where we all had to run to another land for "greener" pastures, we wouldn’t be having this conversation where people see opposing views as faux activism. When some of you are done jocking the people who were actually born here, remember that your passport is still green, you are still black and changes in immigration policies still affect you regardless of your visa status.

Enough of the rant. Where do we go from here and how do we correct things. Not buy big grammar online. The change starts with you and i

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:55pm On Jul 15, 2023
lavida001:

Competition is very stiff. It’s hard to get an interview this days

Which area?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:56pm On Jul 15, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

500 is an average score......... Your credit card applications needs to be geared towards credit builder providers........

Don't apply for AMEX, MBNA, virgin, M&S, sainsbury etc etc......

Your customers are vanquish, capital one, marble, aqua, 118 118 money etc etc etc...... 🤣😂

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:57pm On Jul 15, 2023
Zahra29:

Well said....any immigrant who moved to the UK in the last 5 years should have been well aware of the IHS and planned accordingly. Yes it's gone up, but so has every product and service in the last few years.
It's the complaining about double taxation when they knew the T&Cs before freely applying for a visa.
Plan for a 66% increase in a service with what money? Lol how many Brits have £1035 x 2/5 years at their disposal talk more of people who moved here as students and are limited to the number of hours they can work or people who have to factor in exchange rate.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 5:57pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

The idea that people should not complain about something that affects them is just wild. Like we must remain mute in policies that affect us because Nigerians are "bad"? 🫤

I agree! By all means complain away but direct it to the right source. Over the past month there has been constant hullabaloo on this thread about the proposed changes to the student visa and now IHS. People come on here to seek information and also to unwind but in recent times it has turned into an argument match for and against UK/Nigeria. If folks are so aggrieved with the government immigration policies, mobilise yourselves and March to Downing Street, Westminster or wherever it is that they make the laws and protest. Constantly nagging about the government on this thread is not going to bring about any change.

Better still start a petition on change.org and ask your local MP to present it to the House of Commons.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2023
lavida001:

Enough of the rant. Where do we go from here and how do we correct things. Not buy big grammar online. The change starts with you and i
Mine is a rant but theirs isn’t? Make it make sense. The change started with me a long time ago, I do everything by the book, so say something else.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2023
Peerielass:
[/b]

I agree! By all means complain away but direct it to the right source. Over the past month there has been constant hullabaloo on this thread about the proposed changes to the student visa and now IHS. People come on here to seek information and also to unwind but in recent times it has turned into an argument match for and against UK/Nigeria. If folks are so aggrieved with the government immigration policies, mobilise yourselves and March to Downing Street, Westminster or wherever it is that they make the laws and protest. Constantly nagging about the government on this thread is not going to bring about any change.

Better still start a petition on change.org and ask your local MP to present it to the House of Commons.
From my understanding, this thread was also created to speak about life in the UK, it’s not just an advise pod so people can banter and vent in peace.
Lol @ change.org. as if the one that I saw flying around to allow PSW count to ILR was taken seriously. They shut it down faster than any request that I’d ever seen.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 6:32pm On Jul 15, 2023
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

Please , I need help. I have been applying for credit card but not been successful. Please , how can I get credit card. I have been in UK for more than 18months and on skilled worker visa.

What is wrong with this people now?

Please help me oh

Try store cards e.g Argos card, ASDA card etc and paypal pay in 3. These are all credit cards and could break the barrier.

Also reduce the frequency of applications following a rejection.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:44pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

From my understanding, this thread was also created to speak about life in the UK, it’s not just an advise pod so people can banter and vent in peace.
Lol @ change.org. as if the one that I saw flying around to allow PSW count to ILR was taken seriously. They shut it down faster than any request that I’ve ever seen.

You never know with these things maybe it’s you, Goke and Jedisco’s campaign that would kick start an immigration revolution in this country. But jokes aside, these arguments are derailing the thread and for someone looking for information, it must be really difficult sifting through all the chaff to find the tiny speck of gold.

It’s the prerogative of the government to implement and change their policies as they wish and find favourable. We on the other hand must continue to adapt and also realise that it’s only a temporary inconvenience.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2023
Peerielass:
[/b]

Very well said.

I used to advocate for a stop to these debates of Govt vs Immigrants who benefits more, but no need again, when them tire them go stop.

Best now is skim through the thread because once in a while there would still be something informational.

As it is, new people won't know how beneficial this thread could be because of the kind of argument we have been seeing except those that came from previous parts.

Maybe justwise should limit the duration of this particular topic to highest two days for everytime it comes up.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 7:27pm On Jul 15, 2023
genkins:

Ok.but can you withdraw to your pounds domiciliary acct in Nigeria?
I don't use it for nigeria at all and I doubt it eill work in naija

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (579) (Reply)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

Viewing this topic: Jamesclooney, Iruobe1987 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.