Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462420 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (534) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:40pm On May 23, 2023
Kennyliga112:
But student can switch after graduation?

Yes, the graduate route remains unchanged

They haven't stated explicitly if dependants can come in on PSW, but it implies that will no longer be the case from next year

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CheesyTee(f): 2:41pm On May 23, 2023
I do both. But direct debit is better, sonyou dont forget to repay.
profemebee:
Hi Hi,

For the AMEX users here, pls what's the best way to make repayment ? do you use bank account (direct debit) or manually go online to pay via debit card?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:47pm On May 23, 2023
Zahra29:

In addition, no more switching allowed and more scrutiny on maintenance funds:

The package will also remove the ability for international students to switch out of the student route and into work routes before their studies have been completed "to prevent misuse of the visa system", the government said.

As well as removing this right, there will also be a review of the maintenance requirement for students and dependents and a crackdown on "unscrupulous" education agents "who make use of inappropriate applications to sell immigration, not education".

Applications will be more closely examined as well, so best to avoid any breaches of the rules:

Improved and more targeted enforcement activity

They'll possibly introduce block funds like Germany smiley

It's the best time for them to implement it as most schools would have closed applications for September entry so OYO for most people with dependents

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:54pm On May 23, 2023
hustla:

They'll possibly introduce block funds like Germany smiley

I think that would be a good idea, although it might take them a while to mobilise and implement it. In the short term they might introduce simple measures like the student being asked to show proof of funds at entry to the UK or a greater proportion of fees being paid upfront/ included in the proof
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 2:54pm On May 23, 2023
cbn4main:

I have a family of 4, and we all came to the UK together. We were lucky to get an accommodation within one week of arrival last year august, but i guess accommodation is scarce for couple with kids currently. Honestly, it hasn't been easy up till now. One person must stay with the kids while the other works full time. The former only gets to work when the later is off duty. To survive in the UK sufficiently and have savings, you need two fulltime working adults. However, one person might be doing night shifts while the other does day shifts, if the jobs are available. These are the challenges.

If you choose to come without your kids, you will make a lot of money and save massively. This new impending immigration rule will only affect new Msc students' visa applicants.

My advice would be, if you are on tier 2, come without your kids.
If you are yet to apply for student visa, plan to come with your kids.

Cheers

Thanks, appreciate this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 2:56pm On May 23, 2023
LagosismyHome:

[b][/b]

If you have someone to drop them with then come separately will be my advice. Once you settled it would be easily to get them here.

If you don't have who to drop them for...then family will hussle it together. Might not be easy but God dey

Thanks ma'am, I expected you to contribute and you didn't disappoint
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 2:57pm On May 23, 2023
pheranmie:

It’s depends if your children can stay on there one but it’s risky as no one can know about a
Child of under 13 staying alone is a crime Id advise you put them back to naija till you balance up especially now that gettin work is very difficult. I pay up to 700quids for child minding and if you don’t earn a lot it might be so hard to keep up with. Unless if the money dy parenting, schooling and working is difficult thing to run simultaneously in the uk. I am just coming up depression omoh e no easy here o

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 3:01pm On May 23, 2023
Solumtoya:

Your moniker is quite apt. cheesy

It's your choice, you can come with your kids but know it won't be easy as it may take up 2 months to get Accomodation and a parent has to be with them while the other is either at work or school so it would be tough but leaving them behind has its own cons too so just choose and brace yourself for the tough times ahead many of us here have had to pass through.

Thanks boss, you get the reason behind the moniker cheesy.......you teach a lot here, still quietly learning

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:09pm On May 23, 2023
if one can do both, will Direct debit be used for paying only minimum amount?

then you use manual debit card to pay off huge payments?

CheesyTee:
I do both. But direct debit is better, sonyou dont forget to repay.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 3:19pm On May 23, 2023
profemebee:
Hi Hi,

For the AMEX users here, pls what's the best way to make repayment ? do you use bank account (direct debit) or manually go online to pay via debit card?

Direct debit.

- To avoid missing your payment due date

- DDs on your file is good for credit history

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:26pm On May 23, 2023
profemebee:
Hi Hi,

That is what i do

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:40pm On May 23, 2023
and you pay off everything right? thanks

rayralph:

Direct debit.

- To avoid missing your payment due date

- DDs on your file is good for credit history
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:41pm On May 23, 2023
you must be using a reminder

another question.. whats the ideal utilization for credit card usage? I see 25%, 30% and even 70% in my research

justwise:

That is what i do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:05pm On May 23, 2023
Zahra29:

In addition, no more switching allowed and more scrutiny on maintenance funds:

The package will also remove the ability for international students to switch out of the student route and into work routes before their studies have been completed "to prevent misuse of the visa system", the government said.

As well as removing this right, there will also be a review of the maintenance requirement for students and dependents and a crackdown on "unscrupulous" education agents "who make use of inappropriate applications to sell immigration, not education".

Applications will be more closely examined as well, so best to avoid any breaches of the rules:

Improved and more targeted enforcement activity

That is the biggest prob, untoubable pof is the biggest prob. British embassy carry out little or check as a result people can just buy bank statement and use it to apply for visa sucessfully.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 4:07pm On May 23, 2023
Honestly i dont know why people give themself so much headache.
Dont rush. Everything will come in place.

If they say no t4 dependent. Finish ur 2year course or 1 year course. Get sponsorship and carry ur fam. Simple

U come under 4month u wan run get CC. Just chill, improve ur CS and apply for CC. Simple

U come under 4months u wan get mortgage you made ur self enter mortgage of 5% deposit, instead make u chill save enough with ur lisa.

I no know why ppl dey rush.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 4:16pm On May 23, 2023
eniola1010:
Honestly i dont know why people give themself so much headache.
Dont rush. Everything will come in place.

If they say no t4 dependent. Finish ur 2year course or 1 year course. Get sponsorship and carry ur fam. Simple

U come under 4month u wan run get CC. Just chill, improve ur CS and apply for CC. Simple

U come under 4months u wan get mortgage you made ur self enter mortgage of 5% deposit, instead make u chill save enough with ur lisa.

I no know why ppl dey rush.

There's nothing wrong if you want to rush as long as you know what you're doing. You don't have to wait for 1yr or more to apply for 5% mortgage or credit card

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 4:21pm On May 23, 2023
Most CC apps (if not all) have the option to turn on reminder. Email reminder is also an option

profemebee:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2023
profemebee:

another question.. whats the ideal utilization for credit card usage? I see 25%, 30% and even 70% in my research

No reminder, just a habit.

I don't really do 25%, 30% and even 70% thing, i spend and pay back

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ifakiland(m): 4:42pm On May 23, 2023
Hi guys abeg who get Nigerian passport fast track contact....I did capturing May 11th, but I need it ASAP for Canada immigration.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 5:01pm On May 23, 2023
Phil46:
@ bigtt76 & Solumtoya,
Please guys, with Experian score of 872 will I be approved for Amex? I tried to check my eligibility on Amex site but it didn't allow me input my Nigerian address. I have been here for 5 months. On the electoral register already but no DD for any expenses yet.
how do you have 872 with no credit history, no Direct debits ? 5 months in the country, woah!.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 5:10pm On May 23, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

For now, you may want to ignore people dropping their referral links (I mean, ignore the referral links, not the people). Trust me, those referral links are for their own interests, not yours (in the first instance).

Curious about this, What interest does a referral link proffer ?. you get a referral point bonus only if the person gets approved. and they also get points as well.

Also, if they apply themselves, they get fewer points viz applying with a referral, so how does it not benefit both parties ?.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 5:16pm On May 23, 2023
Solumtoya:

I have previously shared 2 Companies I have used here. I am trying a 3rd Company bringing in some Abacha and Ukwa cheesy Once they arrive, I will share my experience. My wife and her Mum keep sending local food so we're big customers of these companies.

Can you please reshare, I want to bring in 5 pieces of senators/traditional attires, do they accept it or it's strictly foodstuffs?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:24pm On May 23, 2023
Zahra29:

I think that would be a good idea, although it might take them a while to mobilise and implement it. In the short term they might introduce simple measures like the student being asked to show proof of funds at entry to the UK or a greater proportion of fees being paid upfront/ included in the proof

shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:43pm On May 23, 2023
Phayie:

There's nothing wrong if you want to rush as long as you know what you're doing. You don't have to wait for 1yr or more to apply for 5% mortgage or credit card

A 5% mortgage deposit is very unlikely with only 1 year non-permanent residency

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 5:50pm On May 23, 2023
justwise:

That is what i do

Same..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 5:52pm On May 23, 2023
profemebee:

I use less than 20% monthly....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 5:58pm On May 23, 2023
Please people that work from home, how do you get to attend a face-to-face interview?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hkana: 7:06pm On May 23, 2023
LagosismyHome:

....Might not be easy but God dey

Please, may I send you a PM? I need your input on an issue. Please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 7:22pm On May 23, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:43pm On May 23, 2023
Schoolhike:
Please people that work from home, how do you get to attend a face-to-face interview?

You are entitled to lunch break so I’d suggest organising your interview around your lunch break.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temi231(f): 7:56pm On May 23, 2023
I don’t think you can get 5% mortgage when you have not live in the country for more than 3 years.
Let’s be sure on the information we are dishing out on this platform o.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Xanderlex: 7:59pm On May 23, 2023
BuildingProject:

Lithuania. Manchester.

Thank me later.
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (534) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: LionInZion, BuildingProject and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.