Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,903 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462522 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (534) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hkana: 11:46pm On May 23, 2023
With this new law, what happens to families already in the UK? Like, couples wanting to each do a degree after the other has rounded off their studies? (Husband came in for Msc and brought family with the plan that when he finishes, his wife would then go for her msc) Would the new dependents have to go back? grin

Cc Zahra and semmyk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:03am On May 24, 2023
Hkana:
With this new law, what happens to families already in the UK? Like, couples wanting to each do a degree after the other has rounded off their studies? (Husband came in for Msc and brought family with the plan that when he finishes, his wife would then go for her msc) Would the new dependents have to go back? grin

Cc Zahra and semmyk

Lol...I doubt they'd have to go back as they're already in the UK. The new policy bans dependants from coming in but if they're already here then it should be fine. Sounds expensive though - would they be switching from a PSW visa back to a student visa?

I expect other changes will apply - the student will not be able to switch to a work visa until they complete their studies.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CornOak(m): 12:04am On May 24, 2023
shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:35am On May 24, 2023
You are trying to sound smart but you are not. Pre-approved CC go through the same requirements as AMEX. If you are pre-approved on other CC, most definitely you will be approved on AMEX.

The only issue most people get declined is if they try to play smart by quoting income more than they are getting or usual errors of not being visible or have any credit history but you are making it look as if we are deceiving them into clicking the referral links to get them deliberately declined while we get rewarded ...nonsense.

I got referred from here and only makes sense I give back and help others.

BouharryArtikou:

Surprises me the sort of comprehension some people have.
Someone used a referral link, and applied for AmEX credit card. And was rejected. That someone is advised to go for pre-approved cards to be near certain of eligibility before applying,rather than blindly clicking on referral links and getting rejected.
If that is not a good advise, then I don’t know what is.

But well comprehension is hard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 1:07am On May 24, 2023
Their country, their laws. If the UK says they don't want immigrants they are entitled to do that. I read some posts and I all I see is entitlement. They do not owe anybody anything. they make the guidelines, if you are happy to go along then good else there are other countries you can migrate to.

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Xanderlex: 3:33am On May 24, 2023
BuildingProject:

Which date did you see?

26th May. Can't see any date for June. Sent the VFS guys an email. They said all the appointment dates for Norway in June are all taken. Na Brexit cause this one
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:47am On May 24, 2023
Zahra29:

Don't be so sure. Many people didn't believe the gov would go through with the policy change announced today. If Suella had her way, the PSW would have been cut down as well. She might well try again if they see that the migration numbers are not coming down enough, especially as they have already surpassed their initial 5 year target of 600k students. She has some backing as the govt's think-tank has recently advised that they think the post study 2 yr visa is unnecessary:

A curb on the amount of time overseas university students can stay in Britain was recently backed by Professor Brian Bell, chairman of the independent Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), which advises ministers on migration issues. Professor Brian Bell told The Sunday Telegraph that his body thought it “unnecessary” for foreign students to be permitted to work in Britain for two years after completing their masters degree.

I believe they needed to act or be seen as doing something moreso with the coming migration numbers expected to be quite high.
The effect of reintroducing the 2 year PSW was stronger than they had envisioned but given its not long they backtracked on that, I doubt they'd be in a hurry to change it.

The Chancellor seems to favour immigration as there's lots of unfilled job spaces with poor economic growth which he's trying to turn around.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 4:33am On May 24, 2023
Oggg:
Am to pm, Monday to Sunday … January to December… credit card.. credit card. Ah!
Even people still yet to board their flight to the UK.. credit card… this is becoming a menace on this thread respectfully grin

Nigerians misuse things... na so person wy just enter 1month wan switch to tier 2 and abandon school... Many have done this, why won't the govt ban that route. E don finish now

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temi231(f): 6:05am On May 24, 2023
Overthinker:

Thanks....this your moniker always makes me laugh sha.....both will be working, not mediocre sponsor and as an overthinker and as a staunch follower of this thread, at least 3 months has been the plan to prepare even if it goes better than expected, I always hope for the best but expect the worse in situation you can't control, but children are so important and that's why I needed people's input

Only you can do what’s best for you and your family but here is my token
I came along with my family, we spent one month together but they went back. They came back after six month when everything is settled and beautiful. It’s a strange land, even though I came in with everything ready like house and fantastic job but they went back for me to adjust to Uk working style. So you can do whatever works for you depending on your purse.
Ire o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temi231(f): 6:14am On May 24, 2023
Goke7:
The UK can tighten its laws in whatever they like but to demonise people using the education route to migrate is a joke. All over the world, people use the education route to migrate especially if they are highly skilled. If the Uk wants to be sincere, they should give us the data of dependents that now have high-skill jobs and it will be shocking what the data will reveal.

The conservatives are desperate to remain in power and I don't have a problem with that but to continue to profile Nigerians deliberately is hypocritical, yes our people are foolish but for the sake of many hardworking Nigerians especially the highly skilled ones, we don't deserve all these insults.

You are right. Nigerians are hardworking but we are loud. When I hear the amount students pays it's shocking and most country can't afford it.
Well, someone mentioned that Nigerians are loud while Indians are smart. Indians bring their families but they do this after settling down Nigeria will come in with seven (7) families member to a strange land for a 1-year program. That's too much.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Stenvee: 6:31am On May 24, 2023
I hope Nigerians learn from this ban. Another ban is looming, since people now go as far as asking for 10-16k for that almighty paper. Some are no longer ashamed of it, they advertise it on their WhatsApp status and social media handles. Meanwhile a lot of them paid NOTHING for that same paper. The way corruption has eaten so deep into some people's mind ehn.

Our country will be great again but that CHANGE we so crave INDEED must start with us.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 6:35am On May 24, 2023
bigtt76:
You are trying to sound smart but you are not. Pre-approved CC go through the same requirements as AMEX. If you are pre-approved on other CC, most definitely you will be approved on AMEX.

The only issue most people get declined is if they try to play smart by quoting income more than they are getting or usual errors of not being visible or have any credit history but you are making it look as if we are deceiving them into clicking the referral links to get them deliberately declined while we get rewarded ...nonsense.

I got referred from here and only makes sense I give back and help others.

Ordinarily, I will leave you to bask in your ITK. Problem is, a lot of people who seek to get good recommendations & advise on this thread could be misled, by you.

To every newcomer wanting to apply for a Credit Card (if you must):
Instead of jumping and clicking on referral links straight up, please use online tools to check cards that you are pre-approved for. These checks do not leave any ‘hard’ footprints on your credit file. And like I mentioned previously, once you have a ‘pre-approved’ status for a card & you apply, you are 99.99999999% sure of getting approved.
The online tools also show you % likelihood of getting other cards.
My advice:
On the flipside, a first timer simply jumping on a referral link (because of the glamour of Avios points) could get rejected, leaves a hard search on their credit history and makes it MORE difficult to get credit facilities.

Neat trick: if AFTER using the online tools and you are ‘pre-approved’ for AMEX, then, you are free to now come back here and click on bigtt76 (and others’) referral link.

I choose to ignore that bit where you resorted to insults. Afterall, I am a grown up, and can only vouch for myself that I am. Don’t know about you.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:44am On May 24, 2023
rowon:
Hi good people, please what is best and cheapest means of transportation from Glasgow to London. I would be traveling to London to renew my passport in July .
I would appreciate any useful information regarding everything I need to know about renewal of my passport before leaving Glasgow. I intend to return same day if possible.

Hi megabus would probably be the cheapest but not necessarily the best. You can get the overnight bus so you are arriving in London around 8am and going straight to Nigerian House. You will also be able to get the overnight bus from London back to Glasgow the same day so no need for hotel. However as this very long journey and I wouldn’t recommend this unless you are really strapped for cash.

The other two options would mostly likely require an overnight stay in London. You could use the train, tickets go for about £25 one way if booked in advance. As your appointment is in July, you will be able to snag a cheap ticket. You could also use one of the budget airlines eg EasyJet, even British Airways has reasonable flight only deals to London.

Whatever you do, ensure you get to Nigerian House as early as possible. Ignore the appointment time and arrive in plenty of time. Hopefully you will not encounter any issues and should be done latest by 1pm.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BuildingProject: 7:46am On May 24, 2023
Xanderlex:

26th May. Can't see any date for June. Sent the VFS guys an email. They said all the appointment dates for Norway in June are all taken. Na Brexit cause this one

26th is fair enough.
It's around the corner.

Even all the ones at Malta are gone. 😁😆
People dey vex.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:08am On May 24, 2023
Hkana:

Cc Zahra and semmyk
Abeg no make laugh this morning 🤣🤣🤣

The family will go back because they won't be granted dependent visa to a student.

But no too think am, there'll be a way out.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:31am On May 24, 2023
I would most definitely be upset if I had to pay over £15,000 for my fees and then paid a high amount for IHS fees only to be demonised. When the British were pilfering our natural resources, enslaving our people and sponsoring terrorists they were not entitled but now that we are coming here legally and being demonised, we are the entitled ones. Okay now, na everybody know wetin dey do dem. There are the Tiamiyu’s of this world and then there are the Doctor Emeka’s of this world, choose the side of history you want to be a part of.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csm0SPcItfq/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:32am On May 24, 2023
Viruses:

Abeg no make laugh this morning 🤣🤣🤣

The family will go back because they won't be granted dependent visa to a student.

But no too think am, there'll be a way out.
The law go only start in January 2024 so it depends on when they want to do the Masters switch cc Hkana

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:08am On May 24, 2023
I’m going to wade into this credit card debate. Without sounding like a broken record, folks should focus on running their accounts properly, paying bills on time, registering on the electoral roll and generally keeping everything above board in the first instance.
There is no need to rush into applying for a credit card in your first few months. You need to first understand how credit cards work, APRs etc.

People are just joining the bandwagon and applying for the American Express Avios Cards without checking if this is the right card for you. Just because you get avios points for travelling - this might not even be useful to some people. The APR’s on these Avios cards are usually higher than other cards in the market. Also when I had this American Express Avios card 10 years ago, only very few merchants would accept them, this may have changed now but I doubt it. I know everyone on here claim to pay back everything at the end of month but it takes a lot of discipline to achieve that. And also what happens if you fall upon hard times? Some people are just setting themselves up for colossal debt with this type of cards.

Before rushing to apply for a Credit Card, you should first ask yourself: what do you need this card for? Are you looking for rewards like Avios and cashback? Or are you looking for 0% interest on purchases for the foreseeable future? Or are you trying to build your credit score? Or do you need a balance transfer card? I will leave this link again here to check eligibility for pre approval before applying:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

Finally when I got my first credit card in this country, I was just a house wife and was not in active employment. I got a phone call from my bank asking me to come in for a review and they offered me a credit card at the review. At that time I had been their customer for over 4 years and had no default on my account. Since then I have acquired over 6 credit cards with very generous limits across all the cards and I get 0% interest on purchases and balance transfer offers on my cards every month. Sometimes I take up the offers, sometimes I just ignore them.

Moral of the story, slow and steady wins the race. Do things right and every other thing will fall into place eventually.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 9:10am On May 24, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I would most definitely be upset if I had to pay over £15,000 for my fees and then paid a high amount for IHS fees only to be demonised. When the British were pilfering our natural resources, enslaving our people and sponsoring terrorists they were not entitled but now that we are coming here legally and being demonised, we are the entitled ones. Okay now, na everybody know wetin dey do dem. There are the Tiamiyu’s of this world and then there are the Doctor Emeka’s of this world, choose the side of history you want to be a part of.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csm0SPcItfq/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Let's not get overly emotional about this thing, many Nigerians abused the dependent stuff. The number of sham marriages that happened will surprise you, the way people were adopting their neices and nephews is another one.

Worse still, the many content creators on social media and their numerous update played a role in the demonisation.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 9:26am On May 24, 2023
iyatrustee:

Let's not get overly emotional about this thing, many Nigerian's abused the dependent stuff. The number of sham marriages that happened will surprise you, the way people were adopting their neices and nephews is another one.

Worse still, the many content creators on social media and their numerous update played a role in the demonisation.

What is surprising me most is the numbers of Youtubers talking about moving to UK within 1 month of their stay. We dey do too much abeg. Asians do it but they are not loud like us.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 9:46am On May 24, 2023
Abuse sha .. . Bringing in dependants has been a thing since the 70s / 80s (possibly earlier). The fact that there was a 81% rise in 2022 I think doesn't make it an abuse of the system.

iyatrustee:

Let's not get overly emotional about this thing, many Nigerian's abused the dependent stuff. The number of sham marriages that happened will surprise you, the way people were adopting their neices and nephews is another one.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by STENON(f): 9:49am On May 24, 2023
Please my People, I am applying visiting visa for my Parents, it is a self service thing and I have uploaded all documents online. Please what documents would they be expected to take along for their Biometrics apart from the appointment letter printed out and passport? Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by samuel321: 9:56am On May 24, 2023
Good morning everyone. Please I need tips from you, I just sent out my 1000th application right now. I've sent out series of applications to different care homes since January but none has been successful so far. I don't send out the same CV to every companies, I check their list of requirements and update it.

I have my care cert, PCC, Ielts result, Tuberculosis test, but the PCC and tuberculosis test is already expired, I thought the validity was also 2years like the Ielts result. Infact I have volunteered in an hospital for 6months. If there are tips you can give me, please give me as it will be highly appreciated. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 10:13am On May 24, 2023
STENON:
Please my People, I am applying visiting visa for my Parents, it is a self service thing and I have uploaded all documents online. Please what documents would they be expected to take along for their Biometrics apart from the appointment letter printed out and passport? Thank you.

I guess the important stuff is their passport, printout of the application form and payment receipt for any service booked with TLS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 10:17am On May 24, 2023
samuel321:
Good morning everyone. Please I need tips from you, I just sent out my 1000th application right now. I've sent out series of applications to different care homes since January but none has been successful so far. I don't send out the same CV to every companies, I check their list of requirements and update it.

I have my care cert, PCC, Ielts result, Tuberculosis test, but the PCC and tuberculosis test is already expired, I thought the validity was also 2years like the Ielts result. Infact I have volunteered in an hospital for 6months. If there are tips you can give me, please give me as it will be highly appreciated. Thanks

I guess you are applying from Nigeria. I don't think getting a job in the UK should be this hard.

If it's from outside the UK, naturally many companies will consider people in the UK first for any job before undertaking to sponsor someone from Nigeria. Also, there are probably also a lot of people making from outside the country also.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by samuel321: 10:25am On May 24, 2023
Atk1nson:

I guess you are applying from Nigeria. I don't think getting a job in the UK should be this hard.

If it's from outside the UK, naturally many companies will consider people in the UK first for any job before undertaking to sponsor someone from Nigeria. Also, there are probably also a lot of people making from outside the country also.

Yes, I'm applying from Nigeria. There are some companies willing to employ me but they said they don't have the liscence to recruit international applicants.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:28am On May 24, 2023
The whole noise about immigration figures is just ridiculous.

Foreign students came here legally, they did not come in through the English channels or back of lorries, British embassies collected thousands of £££££, access their applications and stamped their passports with visa. They got into the UK, got a job and keep paying into the system. These foreign students paid for NHS even before using it.

The same British government that allowed them in is now crying about immigration figures.

Is this not stupid of the highest level?

No foreign student came in with wife and children hidden in hand luggage, the immigration allowed them in genuinely and now they are blaming them for increasing immigration figures.

Nonsense !

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 10:46am On May 24, 2023
justwise:
The whole noise about immigration figures is just ridiculous.

Foreign students came here legally, they did not come in through the English channels or back of lorries, British embassies collected thousands of £££££, access their applications and stamped their passports with visa. They got into the UK, got a job and keep paying into the system. These foreign students paid for NHS even before using it.

The same British government that allowed them in is now crying about immigration figures.

Is this not stupid of the highest level?

No foreign student came in with wife and children hidden in hand luggage, the immigration allowed them in genuinely and now they are blaming them for increasing immigration figures.

Nonsense !

Justwise, you are funny. My reason for saying so is that you have been in the U.K long enough to know how fickle their government and its policies are and all these noise is just to pander to the populace how they've been able to reduce migration figures prior to elections. The past is always a predictor of the future so I even expect them to cancel the PSW in the near future and in a few years time come online to cry about dwindling revenue because of the decrease in international students.
It's the same way BREXIT was the right thing to do a few years ago and now you can see various headlines saying BREXIT has failed.

No surprises here honestly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chudycharles: 10:57am On May 24, 2023
Hello everyone....

Can anyone please tell me how this English Naric stuff work do I need a statement of comparability in addition to the Visa/immigration purpose. I want to apply for my sis please. Thanks peeps.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by shemafia: 11:25am On May 24, 2023
Hello Everyone! there is a furnished double room at a very reasonable price (bills inclusive) for a single person (preferably a female). If you are interested in sharing a flat, no guarantor required. Interested? Or you know someone who knows someone in Birmingham? Please get in touch via email on oche_stephanie1@yahoo.com and I'll get back to you ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:35am On May 24, 2023
Bourne007:
Abuse sha .. . Bringing in dependants has been a thing since the 70s / 80s (possibly earlier). The fact that there was a 81% rise in 2022[b]think doesn't make it an abuse of the system[/i]

it became an abuse of the education route when people started falsifying information fabricating pof and dependants e.g.fake marriages, fake children (I saw a post where a lady asked how she could bring her 9 yr old niece along to look after her children - isn't this what happened to Mo Farah? ) , bringing in children that they struggle to care for and having to rely on council/public funds to cover their nursery bills and other costs , planning to abandon their studies as soon as they get a job and leaving the uni out of pocket....

A gov spokesperson said on the news that it has become apparent that the education route is now being used wholesale as a back door migration route by people who wouldn't otherwise be able to come into the country.
Unfortunately they are referring to the likes of Indians, Nigerians, sri Lanka

The UK's student visa is not like Canada's. The UK gov expects students to study, stay for 1 or 2 years to gain experience, and then mostly return to their home countries to apply what they have learned. That's why the study and PSW routes do not contribute to settlement, unlike Canada. And that's why there have been calls for student numbers to be removed from official migration figures as they are supposed to be temporary migrants who are expected to return home.

Claiming to be coming to study, when you are really planning to permanently migrate your whole family to the UK, is why they see it as an abuse of the system.

It becomes a big issue for the govt when it happens on a large scale as seen over the last couple of years.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 24, 2023
Peerielass:
I know everyone on here claim to pay back everything at the end of month

grin

On Nairaland everybody pays in full at the end of the month.

Outside in the real world household credit card debt is rising and people are accumulating more and more in interest.

Make we sha dey look 😄

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (534) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: wonlasewonimi, Lexusgs430, igbsam(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.