Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,273 members, 7,836,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (534) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (497200 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (561) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:07am On May 01
Zahra29:

Lol the only thing you've established is that you support dictators and hate the west while enjoying the freedoms of the west.

So because we are given visa without benefit we should keep mute when we see the truth.

Colonialism has done a big dent on how most of us think. Go on IG and listen to Seun Kuti live.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:38am On May 01
lavida001:

So because we are given visa without benefit we should keep mute when we see the truth.

Colonialism has done a big dent on how most of us think. Go on IG and listen to Seun Kuti live.

So you get your inspiration from seun kuti....... No wonder.... One man mopol gang...... 🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:44am On May 01
That bleaching cream you just bought...... Comes from this pharmacy....... 😁🤣

https://southwarknews.co.uk/area/camberwell/ebay-seller-flogged-hazardous-skin-lightening-products-from-camberwell-home/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:47am On May 01
080bjaked:

I think that's somewhat circumstantial sha cos people steal from those they know so she can still claim it was stolen since (to the best of my knowledge), theres no UK law against not reporting a stolen item. wink

Lol.

Stop playing.

Circumstantial that the person who found your 'misplaced' ID also somehow found your work schedule and knew when and where exactly to work a shift you were due to work, without worrying that you would jam him there and call him out? Also after working, how did the person plan to collect the money for the shift? Or did the person just want to experience working in the NHS for free since the money would definitely be paid to the account details held for the female nurse?

I strongly suspect when Madam Peace's account is checked there'll be a pattern of previous shift payments having been 'misplaced' into Mr Okoye's account after payday, corresponding to what she was paid for shifts she ought to have worked.

This was arranged between the parties and they just got caught because someone noticed the photo was different.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:50am On May 01
jedisco:

You're trying to be clever by half. International laws and treaties covering assylum claims are clearly spelt out.

2.[b] I do not look down on those arriving by boats both in a personal or professional capacity and certainly do not get the vibe that folks here do. On a person note, I see many as hapless folks fleeing unlivable conditions in their home nations some of which were a result of misdemeanours by western states. In my professional capacity I have interacted with a number and treated thrm just like I would any other person infact I put in more time and effort with them as they are a largely vulnerable group. [/b]Any colleague who does differently should rightly be made to answer to their regulator.

Many are genuine but the vast majority are BS claims that are designed to take advantage of the asylum route for normal economic migration. It's not illegal (yet) but it definitely goes against the intent of the law and the public and governments in many countries have been clamping down on it.

You can choose to play ostrich and keep your head in the sand saying it's none of your business but you can't then begin moaning racism this and that when policies are implemented that disadvantage immigrants as a whole due to the (perfectly rational) backlash to the abuse above.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 7:02am On May 01
toughest007:

Haba chief... On what basis and facts are you deriving this your hope that Ukraine would or could win the war? It would be a COLD ICY day in hell before that happens.

Putin doesn't look like someone that is ready to kick any bucket any time soon... All those talks are propaganda yans from the US/West.

Ukraine will lose the war, but Russia will also lose it and has even already lost it. What you're watching is just death by a thousand cuts.

They've gained some land mass but lost close to 500,000 citizens, mostly young men and tens of thousands of military vehicles and arms and the country is now receiving military aid from Iran. Their assets abroad are about to be seized to fund the continuous money being delivered to Ukraine. All while NATO has gained two more countries and doubled their land border with Russia all without a NATO soldier firing a single bullet. All they've 'lost' (or 'invested' depending on how you look at it) is money. Russia is incapable of invading anyone else now and poses very little threat to NATO, and will likely be so incapable for a long time due to their demographics and military being shot. Putin will keep talking about nuclear weapons but the whole world knows he'll never use them and NATO will also keep pushing the envelope by arming Ukraine with increasingly sophisticated arms but never cross the line that'll make him deploy them as well. They simply do not need to when they're cutting the country down to size very effectively with the proxy approach.

The morality of the war is irrelevant. The results are what matter for the people in both countries. When you ask yourself 'What has Russia gained?' and answer it sincerely you'll know clearly whether he was wise to start on this path in the first place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:43am On May 01
Good morning Goodenoch, you woke up and decided to drop 3 back to back hit comments😂 All very well said.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:43am On May 01
Zahra29:

I hear you...it's all subjective....

To each their own.....at the end of the day, perhaps "good Vs evil" could be decided by the country one would live in if they had to choose....."innocent, misunderstood Russia" or " evil, aggressor US"....I think we can safely guess lol
I swear down aside the language barrier, I no mind living in Russia or other Nordic countries than the US oo. I have two friends who went to study there and have remained there for over 15 years and they are balling. If you see both their wives ehn, you would never believe that a black/Nigerian could score such women, as in gorgeous model spec women oo. Also, I know damn well my kids won't come back from school to tell me there are 100 genders, or that the definition of a woman is debatable 🤣

As long as I don't challenge Putin, I'm sure I'll be just fine. I am a freethinker o, so nothing says democracy is the best, or autocracy is evil. I believe in situational leadership. Autocracy is working wonders for China and Russia, and democracy is the bane of Nigeria. Go figure

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:48am On May 01
Treadway:
I swear down aside the language barrier, I no mind living in Russia or other Nordic countries than the US oo. I have two friends who went to study there and have remained there for over 15 years and they are balling. If you see both their wives ehn, you would never believe that a black/Nigerian could score such women, as in gorgeous model spec women oo. Also, I know damn well my kids won't come back from school to tell me there are 100 genders, or that the definition of a woman is debatable 🤣

So nah only oyinbo wife, dey enter your eyes.......😁🤔😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:48am On May 01
Lexusgs430:

So nah only oyinbo wife, dey enter your eyes.......😁🤔😜
bro, awon obinrin yen fine e jo. Ha!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:53am On May 01
Kenn55:

It is you that should think without bias. If you are rational, you should have known that Putin and Russia are no saints, they are as bad as the US and west. You should have known that Russia is also seeking to dominate like the US. You should have known that Russia is also looking out for it's own selfish interest like all world powers do.

Every bad thing you have against the west is also applicable to Russia. US and its allies invade countries for their selfish interests, Russia does the same. Since 2000, US has invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, Russia has invaded Georgia and Ukraine. Russia has been sponsoring breakaway rebels in Georgia, Maldova, Ukraine etc to declare kangaroo independence yet Putin is your Angel and you wipe away his sins.

All world powers are bad players. But at least in the west, no leader is "god", they can be challenged and removed by the people unlike your Angelic country Russia. In the west, Opposition is strong putting check on government to behave themselves. In the west, Oposition has power, media has power, legislators have power, courts have power, civil society have power the people have power, it is never a one man show.

Putin came to power in 1999 when Bill Clinton and Obasanjo was in power. He has succeeded in making Russia a one man country where he is "god". He has changed Russia constitution 3 times since 1999, the last one being last year to give himself another 12 years in power. Russians can't talk, if you talk, you chop poison, fall from high rise, rot in jail if you are lucky or your plane gets shot down.

Do you know how many Putin's opposition and critics Saint Putin and his gang have eliminated since 1999 by poisoning and throwing them down from high rise buildings?

Will you be happy if Nigeria adopt the Russian model? Tell yourself the truth for once.
As we speak, Russians can't call Ukraine war a war publicly, they passed a law criminalizing calling it war. Imagine a government making it a crime to judge for yourself how you see things. Russians no longer have independence of thought, they have to be told what and how to think by force because one man cannot afford to be criticized. I just hope this Saint Putin Russian model nonsense is not what you guys are wishing for Nigeria to become. God forbid!
By the way, I'll take Tinubu and Nigeria over Putin and Russia, you can put your money where your mouth is by relocating to Moscow and not living in the freedom loving west and still talking nonsense. Mtshewwwww
check am bro, Russia invaded Georgia and Ukraine correct...but both countries and Russia historically were all brothers that once shared landmass. Which landmass US share with Afghanistan and Iraq? Lati odindin US of A dem cross all the way to the middle East to find trouble. You sef check am na

As to your question, if we can find an autocratic leader that is that passionate about Nigeria, passionate about making it formidable abeg I no mind. I will take a wild guess and say you emigrated too, like most on here, evidence that the democratic dispensations since Obasanjo has only left us with the worst of us leading us almost always, while Nigeria constantly sinks. They win, Nigeria lose. I would def wholly accept a diff approach, even an autocrat. Thank you

Orisa bi o gbemi, at least fi mi le bi o se bami👌

Again, like I told Zahra, aside the language speaking barrier, I could live in Russia. I have two pals there and they are balling. Enjoying same world-class infrastructure, are married to beautiful women, and have beautiful kids. Russians largely love Putin. I wouldn't live in the US if I could live in Norway. For those who still have it in them to learn a new language, countries yapa, Russia included, where you can move to and live super fine. All this Canny, USA, Aussie and UK most naturally throng to, na cos the language is English. No be say other places no dey viable.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:00am On May 01
lavida001:

[b]So because we are given visa without benefit [/b]we should keep mute when we see the truth.

Why would I listen to Seun Kuti? undecided

Lol, would you keep mute if your visa came with benefits?

No one is saying not to speak your truth, but why choose to apply for a visa to live in a country that you don't trust or agree with (majority of) their laws,ethics or policies - and spend a lot of your time unhappy/angry and criticising said policies.... You couldn't pay me to live in Russia, Iran, China etc as their governments don't even care what the people think.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:00am On May 01
Treadway:
bro, awon obinrin yen fine e jo. Ha!

Once you go black......... You don't look back....... The blacker the berry........ 😁🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:05am On May 01
Treadway:

As long as I don't challenge Putin, I'm sure I'll be just fine. I am a freethinker o, so nothing says democracy is the best, or autocracy is evil. I believe in situational leadership. Autocracy is working wonders for China and Russia, and democracy is the bane of Nigeria. Go figure

Fair enough, at least you're being true to your beliefs. It's when people "hail" a country over others, but would never choose to live in said country that I think there's an element of cognitive dissonance going on lol

As long as you're happy with the bolded and having no voice to effect change, but as you've rightly said, perhaps autocracy is the best system for certain countries and peoples.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 9:13am On May 01
Zahra29:

Fair enough, at least you're being true to your beliefs. It's when people "hail" a country over others, but would never choose to live in said country that I think there's an element of cognitive dissonance going on lol

As long as you're happy with the bolded and having no voice to effect change, but as you've rightly said, perhaps autocracy is the best system for certain countries and peoples.

already used to not having a voice to effect change in Nigeria. The voice don dey rusty. Ko ni meaning mo🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:22am On May 01
Treadway:

already used to not having a voice to effect change in Nigeria.The voice don dey rusty. Ko ni meaning mo🤣

Lol, okay I can see where you're coming from...

It's sad though for a so-called democracy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 9:51am On May 01
Lexusgs430:

Once you go black......... You don't look back....... The blacker the berry........ 😁🤣
Egbon, please does this statement apply to our lovely women too? Just curious.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:56am On May 01
dustydee:

Egbon, please does this statement apply to our lovely women too? Just curious.

If you're lucky to find one...... Keep her .......😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 10:07am On May 01
Lexusgs430:

If you're lucky to find one...... Keep her .......😁😜
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:09am On May 01
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/30/number-foreign-student-family-members-coming-uk-falls/#comment

Interesting that despite the new restrictions, the drop in UK student visa applications is nominal compared to the doomsday predictions....down to 35,000 from 39,900 this time last year. It would be good to see a breakdown of these student visas by nationality.

######

A crackdown on foreign students’ visas has slashed the number of dependants they are bringing into the UK by 80 per cent, Home Office figures show.

The data revealed that the number of dependants granted visas to join their student spouse or parent in the UK has fallen from 32,900 in the first quarter of 2023 to 6,700 in the same period this year.

The number of overseas students applying for visas also fell by 15 per cent, from 39,900 in the first quarter of 2023 to only 35,000 in the same period in 2024....

A crack down by the Home Office on bogus care homes is also believed to have contributed to a 25 per cent fall in the number of health and care visa applications, from 205,800 in the six months from April to September 2023 to 153,500 from October 2023 to March 2024.

This comprised 40,800 main applicants and 112,700 dependants, provisional Home Office data shows. It is likely to reduce further as a ban on care workers bringing dependants into the UK takes effect after being introduced on March 11. Doctors, nurses and other health professionals remain able to bring dependants....

Mr Sunak is expected to announce curbs on foreign student visas amid fears that the route is being used as a back door into claiming asylum.

The Prime Minister is expected to restrict access to the graduate visa route, which currently allows students to remain in the UK for up to two years after finishing their studies without the requirement to get a job.

The announcement is expected to come after the Migration Advisory Committee (Mac) completes a review of the graduate visa route on May 14.

Options understood to be under consideration include reducing the time a foreign graduate can stay in the UK without a skilled job to either six or 12 months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:34am On May 01
Lexusgs430:

So you get your inspiration from seun kuti....... No wonder.... One man mopol gang...... 🤣😂

Guy listen to him and tell me there isn’t truth in what he says.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:38am On May 01
Zahra29:

No one is saying not to speak your truth, but why choose to apply for a visa to live in a country that you don't trust or agree with (majority of) their laws,ethics or policies - and spend a lot of your time unhappy/angry and criticising said policies.... You couldn't pay me to live in Russia, Iran, China etc as their governments don't even care what the people think.

Do you agree with every policy in uk ?
If No, why do you choose to live here.

All I’m saying is let’s stop dick riding white people just because they have us visa and provide us jobs.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:31am On May 01
Goodenoch:

Many are genuine but the vast majority are BS claims that are designed to take advantage of the asylum route for normal economic migration. It's not illegal (yet) but it definitely goes against the intent of the law and the public and governments in many countries have been clamping down on it.

You can choose to play ostrich and keep your head in the sand saying it's none of your business but you can't then begin moaning racism this and that when policies are implemented that disadvantage immigrants as a whole due to the (perfectly rational) backlash to the abuse above.

Then the justice system should be equipped to promptly deal with such BS claims as you put it.

I wonder if this response is based on stating clearly that I don’t look down on assylum claimants. Perhaps would changing the phrase from assylum to benefit claimants have made it more palatable?
No human is illegal not more less than folks who 'discovered' Australia or 'discovered' America. Being a recent world empire, Britain sullied its hands in the dish of many nations and its invariable that many would want to live here. The asylum system should be well funded, robust and able to deal with these claims promptly.

All said, what are the practicable and legal assylum routes to the UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NewT123: 11:38am On May 01
Hi guys, for in-law visit visa to the UK, can pay slips of both the husband and wife suffice without submitting bank statement? If the couple is sponsoring? Is only payslip okay?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 11:39am On May 01
Zahra29:
Good morning Goodenoch, you woke up and decided to drop 3 back to back hit comments😂 All very well said.

cheesy Thank you o. Sometimes on this thread I have to stop and wonder if people really believe the things they're saying or if it's just because we're online that they're refusing to see obvious truths.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:57am On May 01
lavida001:

Guy listen to him and tell me there isn’t truth in what he says.

Next thing, I might be asked to listen to speedy darlington.........😁😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 12:16pm On May 01
NewT123:
Hi guys, for in-law visit visa to the UK, can pay slips of both the husband and wife suffice without submitting bank statement? If the couple is sponsoring? Is only payslip okay?
No.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 12:29pm On May 01
Zahra29:

again I understand that you're entitled to your opinion, but when something works, I am very very amenable to change. China is a great example. Gerrard59 is in Japan, most don't look to places like China and Japan, but still doesn't change the fact that autocratic China that was struggling with poverty less than 50 years ago, has an economy bigger than competing with the USA today (*modified/corrected* cos it is not in absolute terms but only when you consider Purchasing Power Parity), and is number one on virtually everything you can think of (quality of education, health systems, infrastructure etc.) Google it if in any doubt. We just tend to not really attach much attention or significance to non-english speaking countries. Russia is still far better than Germany economically toady even despite two years of significant sanctions. The top rankings for education and healthcare, English speaking countries no even dey top 20.

Life doesn't start and end with English speaking countries o...or democracy. Autocracy certainly works for some, and democracy isn't absolutely the best. I actually believe Nigeria will be in better state with an autocratic leader who has the nation at heart, even if he only has it at heart up to just 25% and is selfish with the remaining 75%

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 12:57pm On May 01
Goodenoch:

Lol.

Stop playing.

Circumstantial that the person who found your 'misplaced' ID also somehow found your work schedule and knew when and where exactly to work a shift you were due to work, without worrying that you would jam him there and call him out? Also after working, how did the person plan to collect the money for the shift? Or did the person just want to experience working in the NHS for free since the money would definitely be paid to the account details held for the female nurse?

I strongly suspect when Madam Peace's account is checked there'll be a pattern of previous shift payments having been 'misplaced' into Mr Okoye's account after payday, corresponding to what she was paid for shifts she ought to have worked.

This was arranged between the parties and they just got caught because someone noticed the photo was different.

Gbam! Madam peace can only claim she never knew and only became aware her Id was being used unil now. But it will take someone with a strong heart to throw someone under the bus.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:04pm On May 01
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:14pm On May 01
lavida001:

Do you agree with every policy in uk ?
If No, why do you choose to live here.

All I’m saying is let’s stop dick riding white people just because they have us visa and provide us jobs.

That's why I said "majority" of their policies, and their core values align with mine.

Furthermore, I can choose to vote for a different government if I don't like the policies of the incumbent. In China and Russia, there is no choice as any strong opposition usually doesn't live long enough to get on the ballot.

I'm not dick riding anyone, I just personally believe the West to be a far better place to live and thrive (especially as a person of colour) than these other countries that don't even value their own citizens, much less a black man.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:20pm On May 01
Treadway:
again I understand that you're entitled to your opinion, but when something works, I am very very amenable to change. China is a great example. Gerrard59 is in Japan, most don't look to places like China and Japan, but still doesn't change the fact that autocratic China that was struggling with poverty less than 50 years ago, has an economy bigger than competing with the USA today (*modified/corrected* cos it is not in absolute terms but only when you consider Purchasing Power Parity), and is number one on virtually everything you can think of (quality of education, health systems, infrastructure etc.) Google it if in any doubt. We just tend to not really attach much attention or significance to non-english speaking countries. Russia is still far better than Germany economically toady even despite two years of significant sanctions. The top rankings for education and healthcare, English speaking countries no even dey top 15.

Life doesn't start and end with English speaking countries o...or democracy. Autocracy certainly works for some, and democracy isn't absolutely the best. I actually believe Nigeria will be in better state with an autocratic leader who has the nation at heart, even if he only has it at heart up to just 25% and is selfish with the remaining 75%

There's a reason why many more thousands of Chinese nationals are fleeing to seek asylum in the US. In contrast, how many UK or US citizens are seeking refuge elsewhere?

To each their own; every black man can't migrate to the west so it's a good move to try out lesser trodden paths.

And I agree that certain countries and people need and deserve an autocratic leader. I'm just grateful that's not the UK/west.

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (561) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: Estroller, willyblinx(m), Bukad(m), Lexusgs430 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.