Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,921 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460912 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 11:23am On Aug 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If i were in your shoes, I would not use my car......... Your vehicle does not have instructor's pedal fitted........

That instructor's pedal, is your examiner's life insurance....... Without it, your examiner would feel exposed like a fish, out of its pond........ 😁

The examiner would inspect your vehicle, and would fail it, for the slightest reason....... Just pay about Β£100 and use an instructors vehicle..........

Not true bro.

I used my darling

Ford Focus manual gear 2006 model.

Baby was a smooth rider.

Examiner hug me join grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:49am On Aug 23, 2023
bigtt76:
Our people and all these agents.... So by telling Sky News her fokup, she expects them to do what now? πŸ€¦πŸΏβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ

We all go de alright las las.

Mrs Tiamiyu
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 12:28pm On Aug 23, 2023
Thank you for your reply.

Hahahahaha please as per the job what city in wales will you advice him to search for accomodation? Cos job is the koko although he's coming with his spouse

Thank you again

Gift7428:
Neath is fine. Easy to commute from Neath to anywhere in Wales and England sef. I hope he has prepared his mind to search for jobs with all level of aggressiveness.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 12:42pm On Aug 23, 2023
Do you live in wales?

Solumtoya:

Nice! Where can I find the thread. Looks like a good read!

Accomodation is relatively cheaper here than big Cities in England but Council Tax is similar, if not higher actually.

Most Nigerians would live in South Wales though: Newport, Cardiff and Swansea. North is less culturally diverse, you'd see lots of people speaking the local language - Welsh and the Economy is not as great - low salaries with fewer jobs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:46pm On Aug 23, 2023
bigtt76:
Our people and all these agents.... So by telling Sky News her fokup, she expects them to do what now? πŸ€¦πŸΏβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ

I don't think she or many others realise that it is illegal in the UK to pay for a job. This is just a different form of people smuggling, and the same way the govt doesn't sympathise with boat crossers who have paid agents smugglers thousands to come into the UK, they are unlikely to assist immigrants who paid agents thousands to get a job to come into the UK.
What will happen (already happening) is a tightening up of the care visa system and cos sponsors.
These stories are widely reported now, so why are people still taking such huge risks by seeking out links/agents?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:48pm On Aug 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Not true bro.

I used my darling

Baby was a smooth rider.

Examiner hug me join grin grin grin grin

Ok o .... Una don crucify me ....... I feel it's best to use instructor's vehicle....... πŸ˜”πŸ˜Ά

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:50pm On Aug 23, 2023
bigtt76:

What frustration and desperation, would make us do ........ Make Γ© no come close to us .......

Rather than a chicken pour away my medicine, I would rather break the egg, type of frustration and desperation........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:52pm On Aug 23, 2023
rinzylee:

Not true bro.

I used my darling

Baby was a smooth rider.

Examiner hug me join grin D grin grin

Who wan die .......πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 12:58pm On Aug 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Ok o .... Una don crucify me ....... I feel it's best to use instructor's vehicle....... πŸ˜”πŸ˜Ά

Ehe...better put.

If you don't trust your car, use your instructor's.

Car wey I don dash 10k miles grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 12:59pm On Aug 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Who wan die .......πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

I actually asked her for the hug. 🀭🀭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nihilistjnr: 1:49pm On Aug 23, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

Seriously, there's nothing like permanent roles. I was in a contract for over 3 years and they did reorg 3x during the same period. All the permies were always scared of losing their jobs cos they have been in the org for eons, they don't even have any CVs talkless of knowing how to apply for a role. With my Contractor mentality, everyday is my last day. I make conscious effort to look at job boards everyday. You might as well make your money in bulk than getting it piecemeal.

Trust me, I follow job trends like crazy. It's very risky for a contractor not to. Let's see what happen after summer when all the budget holders are back from holidays.

In the news today, Standard & Poor also sounding alarm. Yall better be saving.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/23/uk-on-recession-alert-amid-slump-in-private-sector-activity?

Chris Williamson, the chief business economist at S&P global market intelligence, said: β€œThe early PMI survey for August suggests that inflation should moderate further in the months ahead but also indicates that the fight against inflation is carrying a heavy cost in terms of heightened recession risks.

β€œA renewed contraction of the economy already looks inevitable, as an increasingly severe manufacturing downturn is accompanied by a further faltering of the service sector’s spring revival. The survey is indicative of GDP declining by 0.2% over the third quarter so far.”

Williamson said companies were feeling the impact of Britain’s cost of living crisis, lower export demand, higher interest rates and fears about the economic outlook. Firms were seeing their ability to raise prices curbed and inflation was on course to drop to 4% in the months ahead.

β€œA further pullback in hiring in August, meanwhile, indicates that the labour market is losing steam, which should feed through to lower wage pressures. While a further hike in interest rates in September looks to be on the cards, the August PMI data will add to speculation that rates could soon peak.”
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 2:02pm On Aug 23, 2023
All elders in the house I need you all to be give me serious advice on this so I won't enter problem as jjc coming in to UK. My story will be a bit long but na as e dey do me πŸ€—

So I will be coming to UK in some days time. I have been searching for accommodation since early june but when non was forthcoming I posted on a private travel group on facebook seeking accommodation and someone directed me by tagging me to woman's page (this particular woman based in UK and she run school and visa application for people also she has quite a number of followers) saying she can help me by posting on her platform and I might see someone who will have a house share.

I sent a DM to this woman and she replied to my DM within 2days and she confirmed if I will be coming alone or with my partner before proceeding to posting the advert for accommodation on her page for me.

I notice she posted the advert including my city and other cities as I understand other people might have requested just like me too. That very day towards evening cos I kept on checking the post lol, I saw a woman who comment under the post that she has a room in her 2bed apartment in the city I'm going to

So we talked there on the comment section and she dropped her phone number of which we proceeded to what'sapp. She said she will be living the city soonest in August or mid September 2023 because she got sponsorship job elsewhere.

We concluded and she sent me her UK bank account (Lloyds bank) and her Nigeria account number saying I should send in one month rent as against when I will be coming to the UK to secure it. We exchange pictures, her bank accounts names are not different from her facebook name. I have also search through her facebook and the account is quite old as I can even trace her husband, siblings, relatives, ex colleagues at work due to pictures tagging.

Below are my fears but give me advice because seriously money for airbnb nor dey aswear

1) should I proceed to paying into her UK bank account instead?

2) Should anything sup will I be able to track her using her UK bank account?

3) Since she will be relocating from the city and letting me and my partner occupy her room won't the agent asked us to move out as sub letting is a serious case even here in Nigeria sef

4) Don't you guys think she should introduced us to the house agent when we get to UK so we can now sign our own contract with the agent?

5) what do you think I should be scared of?

PS: she said after payment she will send me postcode. Also my school is in Brighton and the accommodation is in Brighton Β£700 per month excluding bill for couple

Thank you for your reply
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:11pm On Aug 23, 2023
Focus99:
All elders in the house I need you all to be give me serious advice on this so I won't enter problem as jjc coming in to UK. My story will be a bit long but na as e dey do me πŸ€—

1) should I proceed to paying into her UK bank account instead?

2) Should anything sup will I be able to track her using her UK bank account?

3) Since she will be relocating from the city and letting me and my partner occupy her room won't the agent asked us to move out as sub letting is a serious case even here in Nigeria sef

4) Don't you guys think she should introduced us to the house agent when we get to UK so we can now sign our own contract with the agent?

5) what do you think I should be scared of?

PS: she said after payment she will send me postcode. Also my school is in Brighton and the accommodation is in Brighton Β£700 per month excluding bill for couple

Thank you for your reply

The answer to Q5 is "all of the above"

If you transfer the rent payment to her account and it's a scam, then it's very likely that you will have no recourse through your bank to recover your money, because bank transfers are not covered by the same protections as debit and credit card payments.

Why don't you ask her to make a formal introduction to the agent/landlord? As you've pointed out, you need a contract or some type of legal agreement before taking up occupancy in someone's house

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:29pm On Aug 23, 2023
rinzylee:

I actually asked her for the hug. 🀭🀭

In this me too era....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 2:30pm On Aug 23, 2023
Thank you very much for your reply

As for making payment to her UK bank account. I have a friend in Leeds who also bank with same Lloyds bank. Is there a way he can make the payment for me without him doing a transfer but walking into the bank to do payment to the said woman?

And yes I seriously agree she do a brief introduction with the landlord. Seriously I'm scared of sub letting

Thank you again

Zahra29:

The answer to Q5 is "all of the above"

If you transfer the rent payment to her account and it's a scam, then it's very likely that you will have no recourse through your bank to recover your money, because bank transfers are not covered by the same protections as debit and credit card payments.

Why don't you ask her to make a formal introduction to the agent/landlord? As you've pointed out, you need a contract or some type of legal agreement before taking up occupancy in someone's house
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 2:32pm On Aug 23, 2023
deept:

In this me too era....

My instructor was present during all acts of embrace which lasted less than 10secs.

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2023
Zahra29:

I don't think she or many others realise that it is illegal in the UK to pay for a job. This is just a different form of people smuggling, and the same way the govt doesn't sympathise with boat crossers who have paid agents smugglers thousands to come into the UK, they are unlikely to assist immigrants who paid agents thousands to get a job to come into the UK.
What will happen (already happening) is a tightening up of the care visa system and cos sponsors.
These stories are widely reported now, so why are people still taking such huge risks by seeking out links/agents?

Link has been taken down, I think
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 2:45pm On Aug 23, 2023
bigtt76:

Won't it be nice if the HO or any government agency cracks down on these people taking advantage of innocent immigrants?
We complain that things are bad in Nigeria yet it's this same attitude of covering up for others that, largely, led us to where we are today. If you ask me, I'll say keep reporting them until they all go out of business.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 2:49pm On Aug 23, 2023
100% agree!!

dustydee:

Won't it be nice if the HO or any government agency cracks down on these people taking advantage of innocent immigrants?
We complain that things are bad in Nigeria yet it's this same attitude of covering up for others that, largely, led us to where we are today. If you ask me, I'll say keep reporting them until they all go out of business.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dappy25: 2:50pm On Aug 23, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 2:52pm On Aug 23, 2023
Are you serioisly thinking of paying after you have been warned?
You will be surprised the huge nos of scammers in this country.

Focus99:

As for making payment to her UK bank account. I have a friend in Leeds who also bank with same Lloyds bank. Is there a way he can make the payment for me without him doing a transfer but walking into the bank to do payment to the said woman?

And yes I seriously agree she do a brief introduction with the landlord. Seriously I'm scared of sub letting

Thank you again

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dappy25: 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2023
I guess it should be this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.focusmm.PracticaFree1

The app name is Practical Driving Test UK, by Driving Test Success Limited.

Drey1:

Congrats baba. Abeg. Which of the 2 below did you use.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 3:04pm On Aug 23, 2023
dustydee:

I'm beginning to think the HO is aware, bit because of the money they generate from visa fees and ihs, they turn a blind eye. Talk about kicking the can down the road until it becomes a problem which it is gradually becoming.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by omoalajah(m): 3:17pm On Aug 23, 2023
Please, can a dependant switch visa if main applicant fails her course?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:19pm On Aug 23, 2023
Focus99:

Thank you again

He can deposit the money directly into her account, but that's like paying cash and then you'd have zero protection if it turns out to be a scam.

Be careful and patient....listen to your gut and don't allow yourself become a victim.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 3:24pm On Aug 23, 2023
Thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely obey you.

I appreciate

Zahra29:

He can deposit the money directly into her account, but that's like paying cash and then you'd have zero protection if it turns out to be a scam.

Be careful and patient....listen to your gut and don't allow yourself become a victim.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:25pm On Aug 23, 2023
dustydee:

Innocent in what way though? Many are aware of the risks involved but either believe their case will be different, or as stated in the news article, they'll be able to secure another job when they get to the UK.

I agree the agents and complicit care sponsors should all be reported. However those who have been scammed don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Naijapensioner(m): 3:28pm On Aug 23, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:33pm On Aug 23, 2023
deept:

I'm beginning to think the HO is aware, bit because of the money they generate from visa fees and ihs, they turn a blind eye. Talk about kicking the can down the road until it becomes a problem which it is gradually becoming.

I disagree. Care workers do not pay IHS fees and the visa fees are negligible compared to the fallout of this visa scam issue, even from the bad press alone.

A few isolated incidents here and there have been tolerated in the face of the labour shortage in the care sector. But now that it is building up as a wide spread abuse of the care visa, they will definitely be strategising behind closed doors on how to curb it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 3:34pm On Aug 23, 2023
nihilistjnr:

In the news today, Standard & Poor also sounding alarm. Yall better be saving.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/23/uk-on-recession-alert-amid-slump-in-private-sector-activity?

Yeah looks like something is not right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:36pm On Aug 23, 2023
Focus99:
Thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely obey you.

I appreciate

Brighton is a very popular city, especially during the summer. You might find it easier and cheaper to secure a place after the summer holidays which end in about 2/3 weeks.

I'm sure you have already, but just checking that you have looked into spareroom and the like?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bamdol: 3:39pm On Aug 23, 2023
Please, can anyone here help with accommodation for one person close to Oxford Brookes University, UK.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: OfferAccepted, toughest007, dustydee, Globalshaper, Emeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.