Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,803 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460763 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tenski: 6:13pm On Sep 06, 2023
Hello guys, i just got my UK driver’s License.

I came to The UK about 5 weeks ago on work Visa. To cut the long story short, i lived in a country for some years and i have their valid driver’s license. When i got to The UK, a friend told me that i can swap my license to get a UK one within 2 weeks, that Licenses from some designated countries can be swapped to a UK one. He showed me his own and i was surprised.

I did a little research and found out that it’s true. Went to the Post office 2 weeks ago and then i filled the DVLA form. I enclosed my BRP card alongside my license and a £43 Cheque. I sent it to DVLA Swansea.

I got a mail today, inside the envelope is my UK driver’s license. I’m so happy as my job demands a full UK license.

Just decided to share this here, thanks guys

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by 1stdami(m): 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2023
all my friends in my set and I got my our PSW in 24 hours when we applied September 2021, things might have changed now I do not have updated information.

i
Goddys:

This is not true. PSW takes average of 6 weeks decision time. Haven't heard of anyone who applied and got decision in a week not to talk of 24 hrs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by headofschool: 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
Thanks
hustla:

Not sure there's any other info i can provide

Just said it based on what I observed on Linkedin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ladyinred: 7:30pm On Sep 06, 2023
Good evening seniors in the house.
I just arrived UK on a student visa. I have a BSc Chemistry degree and a prior MSc Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry degree. I’m currently enrolled at the University for MSc Forensic Science Programme.
I guess my question is, what additional resources, skills or activities do I need to learn in these fields to make me job ready at the end of my degree? Bear in mind that I’ve no major prior work experience in these fields as I’ve only worked in Administrative roles since leaving school.
I’m not desperate to get student jobs at the moment, rather I’m looking for guidance on what to do whilst studying to make myself a formidable candidate in the job market on graduation.
Please any advice/input will be greatly appreciated especially from folks with experience in the fields mentioned above. Thank you 🙏🏾.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mumibaby(f): 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2023
Not cash at hand. I said they are my sisters.
abuhusna1:

They won't tell you how they are doing it, some work cash in hand some does it other way. Don't even say something like this in public forum cos you are jeopardising some peoples future cos if you work more than 20 hours your ni will show your hours worked.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by milliki: 9:04pm On Sep 06, 2023
Please I need student accommodation in London not far from city university of London EC1V 0HB. Thank you! And please what do I need to do to get job ASAP in London? I dey hail o. Any tips on how to settle down quickly will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
ladyinred:
I just arrived UK on a student visa. I have a BSc Chemistry degree and a prior MSc Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry degree. I’m currently enrolled at the University for MSc Forensic Science Programme.
I guess my question is, what additional resources, skills or activities do I need to learn in these fields to make me job ready at the end of my degree? Bear in mind that I’ve no major prior work experience in these fields as I’ve only worked in Administrative roles since leaving school.
I’m not desperate to get student jobs at the moment, rather I’m looking for guidance on what to do whilst studying to make myself a formidable candidate in the job market on graduation.
Please any advice/input will be greatly appreciated especially from folks with experience in the fields mentioned above. Thank you 🙏🏾.

Look up SK on X and send him a DM .......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ladyinred: 10:40pm On Sep 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Look up SK on X and send him a DM .......

Thank you for this. I’ll do as advised.

Please I need more inputs on the this. Thank you 🙏🏾.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 10:48pm On Sep 06, 2023
Thank you.

Pearlyfaze:

100%. It will work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 5:43am On Sep 07, 2023
Tenski:
Hello guys, i just got my UK driver’s License.

I came to The UK about 5 weeks ago on work Visa. To cut the long story short, i lived in a country for some years and i have their valid driver’s license. When i got to The UK, a friend told me that i can swap my license to get a UK one within 2 weeks, that Licenses from some designated countries can be swapped to a UK one. He showed me his own and i was surprised.

I did a little research and found out that it’s true. Went to the Post office 2 weeks ago and then i filled the DVLA form. I enclosed my BRP card alongside my license and a £43 Cheque. I sent it to DVLA Swansea.

I got a mail today, inside the envelope is my UK driver’s license. I’m so happy as my job demands a full UK license.

Just decided to share this here, thanks guys
Nice! I came from UAE. That’s how I also got my license.
People exchanging their uae drivers license will need to obtain a letter of entitlement from the uae government.
Dvla will keep the license submitted to them im exchange for the uk license.
Another good thing is that I didn’t lose my years of driving experience.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2023
Hey guys
....our baby boy arrived few days back.
The hospital does not offer circumcision rather asked us to sort it out ourselves...
I still dey shocked like this?
Please how do i go about this? We are south east London... a friend said, he heard it cost about £350 to carry out the circumcision on a new born
Wahala...
Please recommend/advise

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 9:22am On Sep 07, 2023
Noworries11:
Hey guys
The hospital does not offer circumcision rather asked us to sort it out ourselves...
Please how do i go about this? We are south east London... a friend said, he heard it cost about £350 to carry out the circumcision on a new born
Wahala...
Please recommend/advise
===≈=========================
Congratulations 🎊 on the birth of your son. Hope mother is doing well too.

Yeah, this really surprised me too, when I had my son almost 11 years ago. My mother couldn't believe it as it was previously done in the hospital (My brother's was done in the hospital in the 80's). Guess things have changed since then.

I had to find a private hospital to do our son's - it was £120 at the time although I have since heard that the Jewish people do it best! Wherever you are based, if you can find a Jewish community, they can do it for you. Don't know how much it costs though! Goodluck!

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 9:44am On Sep 07, 2023
Good morning great minds.

My Nigeria passport has expired and I have gone for renewal. However I am yet to get it since July. Now I want to switch my visa from Tier4 student visa and I don't know whether I can apply attaching documents to show that I have applied for a renewal of passport but its not yet ready. Is this possible please?. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Please guys it's urgent!!! If its not possible to apply that way can anyone help with a reliable number to contact at the Nigeria High Commission in London? Please help!!!

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 9:53am On Sep 07, 2023
We also had a baby boy last two weeks too and it was hectic finding where to circumcise but we finally got a Muslim private clinic led by a Dr called Ahmed. Below is their website “drahmedclinic.co.uk” but I will advise you reach out to the number in the website via WhatsApp which is more faster. It cost us 200£ for a date in sept 18th which you will need to pay an initial fee of 45£ as deposit and the rest on the d day.
Noworries11:
Hey guys
Wahala...
Please recommend/advise

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:03am On Sep 07, 2023
Lol, Hospital no dey do circumcision again. I did it for 160quid for one private clinic in Manchester in May for my kid.
Noworries11:
Hey guys
Wahala...
Please recommend/advise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:04am On Sep 07, 2023
Noworries11:
Hey guys
Wahala...
Please recommend/advise

A surgery is available towards the rotherhithe tunnel axis..... Do a Google search.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:05am On Sep 07, 2023
Attached the expired passport and enrolment letter for the renewal with cover letter and switch your visa
SerendipityHere:
Good morning great minds.

My Nigeria passport has expired and I have gone for renewal. However I am yet to get it since July. Now I want to switch my visa from Tier4 student visa and I don't know whether I can apply attaching documents to show that I have applied for a renewal of passport but its not yet ready. Is this possible please?. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Please guys it's urgent!!! If its not possible to apply that way can anyone help with a reliable number to contact at the Nigeria High Commission in London? Please help!!!

Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:07am On Sep 07, 2023
EJIOGBENIMI:

Nice! I came from UAE. That’s how I also got my license.
People exchanging their uae drivers license will need to obtain a letter of entitlement from the uae government.
Dvla will keep the license submitted to them im exchange for the uk license.
Another good thing is that I didn’t lose my years of driving experience.

Ever wondered why Nigerian DL, could not also be directly swapped.........😂🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 10:20am On Sep 07, 2023
Lexusgs430:

hahahahaha bros which kain rough play be ds nau cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 10:22am On Sep 07, 2023
Oh great! Thanks alot!
hayesconcept:
Attached the expired passport and enrolment letter for the renewal with cover letter and switch your visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 10:32am On Sep 07, 2023
ladyinred:

Focus on Civil service job website, you’d likely see a role that align with your expectation, probably UKHSA department. Could check NHS (both trac and Scotland) aswell

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:38am On Sep 07, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

hahahahaha bros which kain rough play be ds nau cheesy

Nah question o....... 🤣🤔
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 11:11am On Sep 07, 2023
Lilipo:

===================================
Getting the right credit card can be tricky. I would suggest that you look for a credit card that has interest free purchases for a few months, even if its 3 months. You pay back what you spend. After 3 months, for example (and that is if the promotion is for 3 months), you stop using the card, after paying back in full and leave it for another 3 months, totalling 6 months. Cancel the card and try again for another card with interest free purchases. This way you don't pay the interest. You have to be smart with money!
Been using AMEX and Vanquis for about a year now and I have not paid any interest on them. Cancelling cards and re-applying for new ones because of interest free purchases is not being smart with money, it is recklessness and it is not a good way to build credit history/credit score.

Plugging this here for others:
1. https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdEzYpk?XL=MNMNS (5,000 Avios if successful)

2. https://www.vanquis.co.uk/raf-app?code=C451F46B8165EA9CC9E1 (We both get £25 if successful)

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:21am On Sep 07, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:23am On Sep 07, 2023
jum33:

very Insightful piece ,kindly share your mentorship programme contact
kasillars:
Hi, is there anyway you can link me up with your mentor or any mentor because I sincerely need one to guide me.
Thanks

It’s Masterschool, it’s expensive tho, meanwhile not everyone has been able to get job.

Actually I don’t want to mention the name, but the main point is mentorship to provide a tailored advice.

It could be from anyone, already in the industry/field you intend to work, could be training centre.

YouTube, Udemy etc are fantastic, but someone still need to a guidance to tell you what you need to learn, by not diverging from one course to another without a clear path, it could be a friend as well.

Regarding people using boot-camp, ensure that the course provider can provide you reference.

Regarding cv, you could use the word (Trainee Data …) the list your roles&responsibility, make sure it doesn’t reflect that it’s a paid job, (or preferably list it under education).

Regarding people that have been doing jobs not related to the field they intend to work, (e.g. factory work, care job etc.) ensure you list the job as a part-time job, it could come last in your cv experience. Employer sometimes do wonder what you’ve been doing since that period (maybe you arrived in uk in Jan 2022, and you've been doing care since then, and you want to start applying to job in 2023, just put (Part-Time Healthcare assistant) then list 1or2 roles&responsibilities for it.

Reason why being that some interview question could come in the form of (tell us about confidentiality, tell us about working in a team(, tell us about inclusion&diversity, etc) that your care experience could be very good to explain them.

Lastly don’t forget to use AI wink smiley for assistance in almost all aspect, (chatgpt, bing chat, google bard, Claude Ai, etc)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 11:44am On Sep 07, 2023
hayesconcept:
wow does this work?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 12:24pm On Sep 07, 2023
davide470:
Been using AMEX and Vanquis for about a year now and I have not paid any interest on them. Cancelling cards and re-applying for new ones because of interest free purchases is not being smart with money, it is recklessness and it is not a good way to build credit history/credit score.

Plugging this here for others:
1. https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdEzYpk?XL=MNMNS (5,000 Avios if successful)

2. https://www.vanquis.co.uk/raf-app?code=C451F46B8165EA9CC9E1 (We both get £25 if successful)

===========≈==========================
I don't quite agree with you however I respect your opinion.

I have a fantastic credit rating, being chased regularly to apply for credit cards and more credit cards with this approach.

If you read my response, I have tailored it for a new person applying for a card. They don't tend to give long term offers to people with no credit history. Someone like me, I can get up to 30 months interest free on purchases and balance transfer because of my credit rating. I wouldn't cancel before 30 months expire, would I?

Be emotionally intelligent, please and try to read carefully. Clarify if unclear before you make conclusions. It will go a long way.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Vintagee: 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
Please house, does anybody have an evidence one can show to an employer to enable them ass8gn COS to a student whose course end date is end of this month. The COS is available but they insists students cannot switch till end of their course so cannot assign the COS until then.

However, from my understanding of the new policy, students can switch so long as the job start date is after their course completion.

Any evidence that can be shown to the employer?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 1:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
wait till the end of this month and collect a letter from the school. The last time I checked you still get a valid visa till January. No rush grin grin
Vintagee:
Please house, does anybody have an evidence one can show to an employer to enable them ass8gn COS to a student whose course end date is end of this month. The COS is available but they insists students cannot switch till end of their course so cannot assign the COS until then.

However, from my understanding of the new policy, students can switch so long as the job start date is after their course completion.

Any evidence that can be shown to the employer?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Probably the same reason why you can't swap a US driving license for a UK one. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 3:19pm On Sep 07, 2023
Lilipo:

===========≈==========================
I don't quite agree with you however I respect your opinion.

I have a fantastic credit rating, being chased regularly to apply for credit cards and more credit cards with this approach.

If you read my response, I have tailored it for a new person applying for a card. They don't tend to give long term offers to people with no credit history. Someone like me, I can get up to 30 months interest free on purchases and balance transfer because of my credit rating. I wouldn't cancel before 30 months expire, would I?

Be emotionally intelligent, please and try to read carefully. Clarify if unclear before you make conclusions. It will go a long way.
Because you have a "fantastic credit rating" and being chased to apply for credit cards does not mean people (especially new entrants) should get interest free credit cards and cancel every 3 - 6 months. It might have worked for you but that does not mean in entirety that it is the right thing to do as a new comer.

The same way someone earlier inferred that, as they got post study visa within 2 days, that should be the norm.

Also, as I don't agree with your opinion, you don't have to agree to mine. So your last line was totally superfluous

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2023
Hi, please is the temporary NIN (paper) enough to apply for a Nigerian passport renewal. I think heard someone said it has to be replaced with a permanent NIN card first.

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: DoubleN(m), LaXxOnebody(m), Jbloc and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.