Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,906 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460891 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Datakey: 4:26pm On Sep 07, 2023
Tenski:
Hello guys, i just got my UK driver’s License.

I came to The UK about 5 weeks ago on work Visa. To cut the long story short, i lived in a country for some years and i have their valid driver’s license. When i got to The UK, a friend told me that i can swap my license to get a UK one within 2 weeks, that Licenses from some designated countries can be swapped to a UK one. He showed me his own and i was surprised.

I did a little research and found out that it’s true. Went to the Post office 2 weeks ago and then i filled the DVLA form. I enclosed my BRP card alongside my license and a £43 Cheque. I sent it to DVLA Swansea.

I got a mail today, inside the envelope is my UK driver’s license. I’m so happy as my job demands a full UK license.

Just decided to share this here, thanks guys

I have international driveline permit from Nigeria. Can I apply with that ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 4:48pm On Sep 07, 2023
Datakey:

I have international driveline permit from Nigeria. Can I apply with that ?

I’m sorry my friend. Naija license can never be in that category.

Maybe in the next 100 years sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2023
dustydee:

Probably the same reason why you can't swap a US driving license for a UK one. grin

Not sure it’s the same reason. For the US, there is a valid reason as to why.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

You are wrong. The fact that they even value our license is a good sign. Once we get our testing process in right and the necessary agreements in place, all should be good. I believe in Canada, you can skip some steps if you hold a valid Nigeria driving license.
Let's not be quick to rubbish our own and expect others to respect us.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 6:06pm On Sep 07, 2023
dustydee:

You are wrong. The fact that they even value our license is a good sign. Once we get our testing process in right and the necessary agreements in place, all should be good. I believe in Canada, you can skip some steps if you hold a valid Nigeria driving license.
Let's not be quick to rubbish our own and expect others to respect us.

Until then, keep dreaming cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:06pm On Sep 07, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Until then, keep dreaming cheesy

It's like iya ibeji, telling you Alaba is in abeokuta........... 😂🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2023
Schoolhike:

Is it safe to add luck as another factor?

Your observations on perception and preparation are insightful, but I wonder if we could also factor in an element of luck or chance?

For instance, consider two drivers taking their practical test: Driver A has a smooth experience with no unpredictable obstacles, while Driver B, despite being equally prepared and diligent, encounters a reckless driver that complicates their test outcome.

Such unforeseen circumstances can often sway outcomes, even if one is adequately prepared. It's reminiscent of many other facets of life where, despite our best efforts and positive mindset, external variables play an unforeseen role in our experiences.

May we always be favored by luck and may the odds be in our favor in all our endeavors

True, there is the unpredictable factor some would call 'luck' and things outside our control. What we can task ourselveson is dojng our best. The thing is that many people who we deem lucky tend to be also those who are prepared or have the right mindset.

In the example you gave, encountering a reckless driver can even be a plus. I know someone who during a test had a reckless driver double cross her at a roundabout. She almost had to make an emergency stop. The examiner was impressed on how she managed it and largely passed her on that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ubby26: 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
I think the reason why the automatic swap does not apply to Nigerian drivers license is because of the right hand driving thing. In Nigeria, it's a left hand drive so we drive on the right, and it's the opposite for UK. Most swaps I have seen are countries with right hand driving as well.

It will take some getting used too to drive on UK roads when you just arrive, and if we are being honest, most of us did not learn the right way to drive. The reorientation is necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 8:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
ubby26:
I think the reason why the automatic swap does not apply to Nigerian drivers license is because of the right hand driving thing. In Nigeria, it's a left hand drive so we drive on the right, and it's the opposite for UK. Most swaps I have seen are countries with right hand driving as well.

It will take some getting used too to drive on UK roads when you just arrive, and if we are being honest, most of us did not learn the right way to drive. The reorientation is necessary.

Most of the countries allowed to exchange licenses drive on the same hand as Nigeria 😂😂😂😂

We all know the reason, why are we shying away from the truth. cheesy

Let’s deal with facts and not emotions or sentiments. I won’t rubbish my own if there is no reason to do so.

Besides, saying I don’t see Naija in that category isn’t rubbishing 🤦‍♂️

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Vintagee: 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
hayesconcept:
wait till the end of this month and collect a letter from the school. The last time I checked you still get a valid visa till January. No rush grin grin

There is a reason why the person does not want to wait till.end of the month. All I want to know is if the new policy allows it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
Lilipo:

===========≈==========================
I don't quite agree with you however I respect your opinion.

I have a fantastic credit rating, being chased regularly to apply for credit cards and more credit cards with this approach.

If you read my response, I have tailored it for a new person applying for a card. They don't tend to give long term offers to people with no credit history. Someone like me, I can get up to 30 months interest free on purchases and balance transfer because of my credit rating. I wouldn't cancel before 30 months expire, would I?

Be emotionally intelligent, please and try to read carefully. Clarify if unclear before you make conclusions. It will go a long way.

Your advice is terrible. The very short average time of these people’s financial relationships will decimate their credit profile (not the score) in the eyes of potential lenders - not just credit card or loan providers.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 9:10pm On Sep 07, 2023
No, you have to wait till the end date in your CAS letter
Vintagee:

There is a reason why the person does not want to wait till.end of the month. All I want to know is if the new policy allows it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ladyinred: 9:38pm On Sep 07, 2023
Schoolhike:

Focus on Civil service job website, you’d likely see a role that align with your expectation, probably UKHSA department. Could check NHS (both trac and Scotland) aswell

Thank you 🙏🏾
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
koonbey:

Your advice is terrible. The very short average time of these people’s financial relationships will decimate their credit profile (not the score) in the eyes of potential lenders - not just credit card or loan providers.
=====≈=============================
No problem 😊. Keyboard warriors! Again, always best to clarify before concluding. Not sure why people jump into conclusions. It's never the best. All you or anyone could have simply done was ask further questions. No one knows it all.

I can see now that my response was not clear and I apologise to the OP. All I was trying to say is for a first credit card, the options for interest free one is very limited.
1. Start with the lowest promotional offer, which is usually 3 months (although the card could be for 6 or 12 months).
2. Use it during the offer (and pay back what you spent) but when the offer finishes, stop using it.
3. After the duration of the card finishes, which is 12 months or whatever they offered you, you close the account.
4. Go back to step one, difference is you would most likely get a longer promotional offer as you have held a card for a year and you pay regularly.

This way, you don't pay any interest at all. This way, the credit card is working for you.

Follow Martin Lewis Money. Sign up for his newsletters. He also does a show on ITV. You'll get more tips on how to be smart with money.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tenski: 11:15pm On Sep 07, 2023
ubby26:

I don’t think so, Switzerland and a few other Countries on the list, drives on the right like Nigeria. I think it’s just a reciprocal agreement between Government of the countries involved.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 11:28pm On Sep 07, 2023
Hello nairalander, Pls i need help for accommodation for this weekend. my destination is SEVENOAKS. I will appreciate any assistance rendered
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 7:02am On Sep 08, 2023
@all, Just a gentle reminder - please lets be kind with our words.

We are all here to learn, no one knows it all.
Thank you.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 7:05am On Sep 08, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello nairalander, Pls i need help for accommodation for this weekend. my destination is SEVENOAKS. I will appreciate any assistance rendered

=========================
@OP have you tried Airbnb's? There would usually be a lot if you have a look. There are also hostels too although not sure if they exist in Sevenoaks. There would be hotels around there as well. Hope this helps?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 8:08am On Sep 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Ever wondered why Nigerian DL, could not also be directly swapped.........😂🤣
Lol. DVLA won’t try it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:11am On Sep 08, 2023
ubby26:

I'm very patriotic but let's be honest, our License back home is rubbish. No learning, no testing, no vetting, nothing. Basically, anyone can get a license whether they can drive safely or not and we all know this, let's not act like we don't. I am very disappointed that the FRSC doesn't want to get the issuance process right, all they care about is the little money to "speed it up".

I would be shocked (and worried) if the DVLA does automatic swap for our license.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2023
ubby26:

That’s not true, with your permanent driver license from the uk you are allowed to drive or exchange your license in Canada and the US and they drive on the right in North America and not on the left like uk. If you say our not too transparent licence process in Nigeria is the problem then I agree.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 10:52am On Sep 08, 2023
Lilipo:

===≈=========================
Congratulations 🎊 on the birth of your son. Hope mother is doing well too.

Yeah, this really surprised me too, when I had my son almost 11 years ago. My mother couldn't believe it as it was previously done in the hospital (My brother's was done in the hospital in the 80's). Guess things have changed since then.

I had to find a private hospital to do our son's - it was £120 at the time although I have since heard that the Jewish people do it best! Wherever you are based, if you can find a Jewish community, they can do it for you. Don't know how much it costs though! Goodluck!

Thanks you advise was helpful... found like 3 more
Presently negotiating which one to finally consider... one has to be extremely careful for a sensitive/vital part of a man cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 10:53am On Sep 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

A surgery is available towards the rotherhithe tunnel axis..... Do a Google search.......

Couldn't get a specific related results with my Google search
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 11:14am On Sep 08, 2023
Experts in the house, please I need your help oh.

Just got a love phone call from Asda on not being successful for a graduate role.

Said something about me or doing well in the interview: said I talked a little fast, didn't sell my self well and all that.

Wasn't too surprised though, it just confirmed my suspicions that my interview skills has been the culprit on my inability to get a professional job. Don't know, something about my brain disconnected from my mouth when I'm talking in interviews after all the aptitude tests, phone interviews, screening etc

Can anyone point me to an online resource that might be of assistance in helping me understand how interviews are assessed here: way to talk, tone, pace, volume, body posture, being clear and logical enough, what to do if you don't have an answer to the question asked or not prepared for it etc.

I will appreciate.

Thanks.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Datakey: 11:38am On Sep 08, 2023
Good day house.. please what do I need to open a bank account... I have gotten my Brp and I came in via care work route. My office as8mr to go open an account for my salary..

And also which bank would be the best
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 12:49pm On Sep 08, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

That's not right. Aside transparency of the process, one primary reason you can't swap a Nigerian Drivers licence with the UK is because of the right hand drive issue. Nigerian trained drivers would need additional training to learn RHD. Zimbabwe licence and some other African country can be swapped with UK license because they drive in the same Right Hand.

If Nigerian license is that bad, then they wouldn't allow Nigerian trained drivers drive on their roads for one year with their Nigerian license.

We no say naija no good but make we self dey calm down when criticising. Their many positives the country has

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:09pm On Sep 08, 2023
ubby26:

Going by this your theory......... How can I drive on the Right all through to Dover, once I enter the ferry/leshuttle, it's left hand from Paris, Belgium, Holland........ All through Europe, till I get bored or reach my destination....... 😜🤔

You know the real reason......... 🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2023
Datakey:
Good day house.. please what do I need to open a bank account... I have gotten my Brp and I came in via care work route. My office as8mr to go open an account for my salary..

And also which bank would be the best

Just download Monzo app and follow the prompts......... You can do it, whilst sitting on your toilet......... 😜🤣

UK banks are almost all the same......... I personally prefer online banks only....... 🙄

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2023
Progressivegee:

That's not right. Aside transparency of the process, one primary reason you can't swap a Nigerian Drivers licence with the UK is because of the right hand drive issue. Nigerian trained drivers would need additional training to learn RHD. Zimbabwe licence and some other African country can be swapped with UK license because they drive in the same Right Hand.

If Nigerian license is that bad, then they wouldn't allow Nigerian trained drivers drive on their roads for one year with their Nigerian license.

We no say naija no good but make we self dey calm down when criticising. Their many positives the country has

Okay sir grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 1:56pm On Sep 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Going by this your theory......... How can I drive on the Right all through to Dover, once I enter the ferry/leshuttle, it's left hand from Paris, Belgium, Holland........ All through Europe, till I get bored or reach my destination....... 😜🤔

You know the real reason......... 🤣😜

Make them they live in their fantasy world.

E dey part of the reason why Nigeria is where it is today

Dey play ooo, just dey play
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:07pm On Sep 08, 2023
ChiefDaddy1:
Beyond Borders: From Naija to New Beginnings"

The story paints a picture of a protagonist's journey, capturing their emotional struggles and triumphs as they venture into the unknown.

Chapter 1: Echoes of Departure.

In the depths of my soul, leaving Nigeria was a surreal blur, overshadowed by the weight of my emotional journey. It felt like stepping into the pages of a fable, a saga of my own making. The horizon of possibility stretched before me, beckoning beyond the familiar shores towards the elusive 'greener pasture'.

The air is crisp, biting at the protagonist's skin as they step onto foreign soil. Numb fingers clutch their luggage, a stark reminder of the unfamiliarity that envelopes them which echoes the resilience of generations before me. They speak of greener pastures, but the hues of reality paint a different picture. Yet, here stood our protagonist, an 'Omo Naija', a lone figure, battles the bitter cold, a determined spirit refusing to yield.

Chapter 2: The Forbidden Chariot.

In solitude's crucible, a choice: to retreat to the familiar or to surge forward into the uncharted. The forbidden black cab loomed, its price substantial, yet it bore the promise of new beginnings. In this moment of reckoning, I paid the fare, knowing that the journey ahead would be worth every pound. Still, with each penny exchanged, a part of me half-expected a chorus of jesters to serenade this audacious journey.

Chapter 3: Uncharted Territories.

Inside my Airbnb sanctuary, the walls held stories untold, foreign tongues of a place not yet mine. They knew I was about to embark on an epic battle with unfamiliarity. The echoes of distant voices in calls to home became a lifeline, anchoring me to a world I ached for. Ordering Uber Eats became a delightful game of charades, as if my dinner was a secret treasure map. Doubt started to give way to a fledgling determination as I mastered the complexities of a foreign address through Uber Eats. The city, once a maze, now beckons as a canvas for a new life.

Chapter 4: Culinary Homecoming.

The aroma of home wafts through the air as jollof rice and asun sizzle on the grill. Familiar flavours seemed to exchange high-fives on the protagonist's palate, a taste of belonging in a foreign land while rekindling the soul's connection to ancestral flavours. Each bite carried a symphony of emotions, a bittersweet communion with memories of home. It was a promise that even in the farthest reaches, fragments of belonging could be unearthed.

Chapter 5: The Miracle of Settlement.

Prayers echo through empty rooms, a foundation of hope for this new chapter. Networking weaves a web of opportunity, leading to a place to call home. If these walls could talk, they'd have a Netflix special in the making. The dwelling, though humble, resonated with hope, a testament to the transformative power of faith and community. Thirteen days in, life begins anew. The rhythm of a foreign city becomes a dance, each step a testament to the resilience of a Naija spirit.

Chapter 6: Streets of Promise.

The foreign streets stretched out before me, a tapestry woven with echoes of Oshodi. Oshodi's distant cousin had put on a tuxedo, but beneath the veneer, the mischievous spirit remained. Every corner held a surprise, a comedy of errors waiting to unfold, laden with promises and potentials.

Chapter 7: The Job Hunt Jig

Every dawn heralded the promise of a new beginning, a reawakening of purpose that pulsed through my veins. Pounds was doing a disappearing act, but my determination took centre stage. Each stride forward was a proclamation of faith in the promise of the greener pasture. The job hunt unfolded like a circus act of interviews, where I played the part of the world's most charming acrobat, performing a one-man comedy act in the grand theatre of interviews. After all, if navigating foreign streets were an art, then charming any interviewer was child's play, right? Just dey play, dey play!!!

The story continues.........

Please start a thread for this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Tstone1(m), toughest007, Globalshaper, ofjhay, LudaChriz(m), Lexusgs430 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.