Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464395 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:52am On Sep 15, 2023
jedisco:
Interesting few weeks..

Talk of sustainability of the state pension triple lock... meaning state pensions currently rise by the highest of either 2.5%, annual inflation or average annual wage rise. Moreso state pension is not means tested so most people are eligible to get it.

2.6 million (and rising) people of working age are currently not working due to long-term sickness. A vast majority of these claim benefits and pay no taxes.

In Scotland, the population of those over 65 has exceeded those under 15. Infact 1 in 5 people in Scotland are over 65.

Over 500,000 people permanently emigrated the UK last year... many of which are young and working age...

One wonders how the government would keep funding some benefits... moreso with high debt, slow economic growth and lots of sectors already being underfunded for a while.. hehe

The state pension age will continue to rise to cope with the cost of funding, not just in the UK - that was one of the main causes of the riots in France a few weeks ago.

Net migration was over 500k, a lot of whom will not be permanent settlers for various reasons.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tenski: 9:58am On Sep 15, 2023
hustla:

Fear not, it will be sent back to the post office it was sent from

He can then pickup with his ID. Not a big deal at all

Thanks boss, my mind don calm down
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ibaku(m): 10:51am On Sep 15, 2023
Hello everyone, hope I met you all well.
Pls I have been giving this declaration form for nursary education funding by child's school to fill and return. But I don't know if it has anything to do with public fund as our visas frowns at public funds. The school says it has nothing to do with that, but I know the form will be sent back by the school to the council. I'm afraid o ! Kindly advice pls šŸ™.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 10:54am On Sep 15, 2023
Ibaku:
Hello everyone, hope I met you all well.
Pls I have been giving this declaration form for nursary education funding by child's school to fill and return. But I don't know if it has anything to do with public fund as our visas frowns at public funds. The school says it has nothing to do with that, but I know the form will be sent back by the school to the council. I'm afraid o ! Kindly advice pls šŸ™.

Its screaming public funds. Most of these people do not know much about immigrants not permitted to have access to public funds or what a public fund is, so they'll tell you, its not a public fund.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DoubleN(m): 11:35am On Sep 15, 2023
Hi All,

Please can I use this heater indoors.

https://lahacienda.co.uk/product/tauri-portable-tower-heater/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2023
Guys, Kindly, on the council tax issue.

when does a student start paying?

for example, student came in sept 2022 (start of session) and visa expires January 2023

and council tax bill was received for upcoming 6 month October till march. do thry start paying after one year or until their graduation/expiration of studentship?

So that one will not be arguing or contesting what is not and one is in the wrong.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 3:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
OmichaelO:

for example, student came in sept 2022 (start of session) and visa expires January 2023

and council tax bill was received for upcoming 6 month October till march. do thry start paying after one year or until their graduation/expiration of studentship?

So that one will not be arguing or contesting what is not and one is in the wrong.

You start paying when you switch visas. As long as you're still withing your student visa period you're good. You'll have to go back to the council to revise the bill as you're not affected until February of next year, unless you switch visas earlier.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2023
kode12:

You start paying when you switch visas. As long as you're still withing your student visa period you're good. You'll have to go back to the council to revise the bill as you're not affected until February of next year, unless you switch visas earlier.
Thank you so much for your response
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MichaelUde: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2023
OmichaelO:

You become liable for council tax from the day when you stop being a student, not when your student visa expires or when you switch visas.

In the letter you were issued to send to the council when you applied for an exemption from council tax, your university go don write the expected date of completion of your course.

After that date, you are liable to pay council tax unless you no finish your course on that date and had an extension.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 4:22pm On Sep 15, 2023
OmichaelO:

You start paying when your student visa expires

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 4:23pm On Sep 15, 2023
MichaelUde:

You become liable for council tax from the day when you stop being a student, not when your student visa expires or when you switch visas.

In the letter you were issued to send to the council when you applied for an exemption from council tax, your university go don write the expected date of completion of your course.

After that date, you are liable to pay council tax unless you no finish your course on that date and had an extension.
Yes you are right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MichaelUde: 4:24pm On Sep 15, 2023
jedisco:
Interesting few weeks..

Talk of sustainability of the state pension triple lock... meaning state pensions currently rise by the highest of either 2.5%, annual inflation or average annual wage rise. Moreso state pension is not means tested so most people are eligible to get it.

2.6 million (and rising) people of working age are currently not working due to long-term sickness. A vast majority of these claim benefits and pay no taxes.

In Scotland, the population of those over 65 has exceeded those under 15. Infact 1 in 5 people in Scotland are over 65.

Over 500,000 people permanently emigrated the UK last year... many of which are young and working age...

One wonders how the government would keep funding some benefits... moreso with high debt, slow economic growth and lots of sectors already being underfunded for a while.. hehe

No be only the triple lock that's probably going to go, the state pension itself will at some point become means-tested then will probably disappear by the time our own time reach. The liabilities for public sector workers pensions alone don reach like 2 trillion so far and the UK's economy is worth 2 trillion or so, so its becoming clear that its not sustainable, unless taxes go up to European levels and the retirement age goes up to like 70 - plus. The issue is that there is no such thing as an NI fund, so all the money they take from you as NI doesnt enter a pot somewhere for the future - pensions are paid out of ongoing taxation.

Scotland case na a different matter - obviously taxes will go up here, the demographics are very unbalanced and Scotland can't keep its young people as work no really dey outside the public sector in most of the country except for the central belt and Glasgow and Edinburgh don turn to London in terms of housing because of the numbers of people finding their way here.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eyesaswide: 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2023
MichaelUde:

Yes this is true. I called the council and they explained this to me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by odinaxx: 5:31pm On Sep 15, 2023
Can anyone please assist with accommodation in Cardiff, school is starting on te 18th September , single room in a shared house is fine thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by haduwa(f): 5:47pm On Sep 15, 2023
My good people, please I have a question. For a student who is traveling to the UK (Birmingham) to be precise, do they need a transit visa if they fly the likes of KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, etc.) since most of these flights have stop over at these destinations? I appreciate your responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:29pm On Sep 15, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 9:53pm On Sep 15, 2023
Let me drop this maybe it might help.

Do you know that you can borrow someone your car or borrowed someone else car by just buying out an insurance (can be daily or weekly), I do use Veygo insurance.

Meanwhile, donā€™t forget to apply for Civil service job oh,

Been hearing lots of *yes* from friends, family & colleagues recently.

Almost all jobs titles and roles are there and if you donā€™t have experience donā€™t worry, just filter for Administrative officer roles (most donā€™t require experience), just apply for as many as possible.

Very fair recruitment process (infact one of the fairest Iā€™ve ever seen, lol)

Donā€™t be deterred by writing personal statements

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
Tenski:

Thanks boss, my mind don calm down

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:09am On Sep 16, 2023
jedisco:
Interesting few weeks..

They have gold reserve šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:17am On Sep 16, 2023
Schoolhike:
Let me drop this maybe it might help.

Do you know that you can borrow someone your car or borrowed someone else car by just buying out an insurance (can be daily or weekly), I do use Veygo insurance.

Meanwhile, donā€™t forget to apply for Civil service job oh,

Been hearing lots of *yes* from friends, family & colleagues recently.

Almost all jobs titles and roles are there and if you donā€™t have experience donā€™t worry, just filter for Administrative officer roles (most donā€™t require experience), just apply for as many as possible.

Very fair recruitment process (infact one of the fairest Iā€™ve ever seen, lol)

Donā€™t be deterred by writing personal statements

Where have you been mate ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Agidipie: 4:41am On Sep 16, 2023
Hello everyone, can anyone help us with accommodation (a room) in Wolverhampton. Person in need is a female student coming to university of Wolverhampton. We urgently need accommodation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by headofschool: 7:24am On Sep 16, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by headofschool: 8:28am On Sep 16, 2023
Please what documents can I use as proof of address? I have been staying at the university accomodation and school as issued a confirmation of study
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 8:41am On Sep 16, 2023
headofschool:
Please what documents can I use as proof of address? I have been staying at the university accomodation and school as issued a confirmation of study

You can request for Proof of Address from your school, you can also use the letter you receive after registering to vote.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tshoboy(m): 9:55am On Sep 16, 2023
Goke7:
Let's be updated guys; new visa fees

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visa-regulations-revised-table/home-office-immigration-and-nationality-fees-4-october-2023
I hope the MPs can ask for some reductions. These increases are too much for families.
Does this mean IHS fee isnā€™t increasing?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:18am On Sep 16, 2023
Zahra29:

The state pension age will continue to rise to cope with the cost of funding, not just in the UK - that was one of the main causes of the riots in France a few weeks ago.

Net migration was over 500k, a lot of whom will not be permanent settlers for various reasons.

Pension age is set to track life expectancy so that each generation expects similar proportion of life contributing to and receiving state pensions. Life expectancy has began to plateau (and even slightly dip) hence pension age would rise slower than before- from 66 right now to 68 in 2046. In same time, the number of people eligible and cost would baloon out.

At 500k, net migration is just about able to replace natural population decline .. but then, is migration really the answer?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donplus1: 10:24am On Sep 16, 2023
Good morning everyone

Please I need your opinion on how best to handle my current end of tenancy issue.

I am to vacate my current house 29th September as agreed in the assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

I have been contacted by the lettings on the 25th of June to notify me of the landlord's intention to sell the house hence he's not interested to renew my contract. But unfortunately I have not bee able to secure another apartment due to the current housing crisis. Securing accommodation seems like war these days.

I have been in contact with the lettings and the property coordinator to explain the situation but they insist the landlord doesn't want an extension. The lettings branch office have been trying to help as well but nothing is forthcoming from their end.

How best do you think I can handle this without unnecessary legal tussle?

Elders and experienced bosses, abeg I need your contributions.

Thanks and Regards.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2023
MichaelUde:

No be only the triple lock that's probably going to go, the state pension itself will at some point become means-tested then will probably disappear by the time our own time reach. The liabilities for public sector workers pensions alone don reach like 2 trillion so far and the UK's economy is worth 2 trillion or so, so its becoming clear that its not sustainable, unless taxes go up to European levels and the retirement age goes up to like 70 - plus. The issue is that there is no such thing as an NI fund, so all the money they take from you as NI doesnt enter a pot somewhere for the future - pensions are paid out of ongoing taxation.

Scotland case na a different matter - obviously taxes will go up here, the demographics are very unbalanced and Scotland can't keep its young people as work no really dey outside the public sector in most of the country except for the central belt and Glasgow and Edinburgh don turn to London in terms of housing because of the numbers of people finding their way here.

True, I have not factored state pension in my plans as I might likely not meet the eligibility criteria and even if I do, it might not exist in its current form then. If I get it, then would be a nice bonus. Even the gold platted public pensions have continually been cut down as reality hits with economic growth failing to keep up.

The UK is not the country it once was and many Brits have struggled to come to that reality. There are fewer nations available for plunder and even in that sector, there is fierce competition. Look at how the Indian deal is being hotly pursued- something that'd have been a given years back.
For the first time in over a century, a generation of Brits are in real danger of being worse off than their parents.
The issue with the inverted population distribution is that the elderly at the top would have undue advantage over policies as they have the numbers so they have to be kept happy at the expense of the ever decreasing younger populace. Good example is the recently implemented lifetime cap on care costs and mooted abolishment of inheritance tax by the Tories who many older folks are likely to vote for. Well, they have immigration to prop things up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: LaXxOnebody(m), eolme(f), Newbie123, Raalsalghul and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.