Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (462) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (482366 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (550) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by idee91: 12:18am On Mar 01
Hello all, does anyone here know if benefiting from a maternity exemption certificate count as public funds ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 12:36am On Mar 01
Phenmeson:

How many airlines allow minor to travel on their own if less than 16yrs?
Here is a proof for you .
The few airline who allow minor of under 16 to travel on their own will definitely make the guardian/parent to receive the minor at the arrival Airport. The airline staff will definitely follow the minor through security point. At exit point, paperwork/proof of identity of parent/guardian will be check.
At this point, it still means d minor is with his guardian/parent.

And that is the process for unaccompanied minors. This isn't new,

How does this change the fact that your statement was wrong
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 1:24am On Mar 01
idee91:
Hello all, does anyone here know if benefiting from a maternity exemption certificate count as public funds ?
it is not public funds

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 1:34am On Mar 01
House , If you’re also affected by the Binance removing USDT/Naira trade .

I moved to Bybit now and it’s working well. Makes a great alternative.

If you’d like to use my ref link : https://www.bybit.com/invite?ref=DQMNGKZ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 1:59am On Mar 01
Tolzeal:
House , If you’re also affected by the Binance removing USDT/Naira trade .

I moved to Bybit now and it’s working well. Makes a great alternative.

If you’d like to use my ref link : https://www.bybit.com/invite?ref=DQMNGKZ

Binance's loss is now Bybit's gain, simply because of an adverse government policy! That's a major SWOT Threat crystallizing - instability in government policies. #smh
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:48am On Mar 01
ukay2:

Long time... Been a long time

Life got very busy busy cheesy but good to see some old names still active here and helping.

Nice one, keep the fire burning

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:51am On Mar 01
Lexusgs430:

Bobo no go die unlessi to ba darugbo.........😁🤣

Make I laugh even though I have no clue of what was typed 😁🤣😁🤣

Ps. I have now found the meaning of the slang on Google
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:44am On Mar 01
LagosismyHome:

Life got very busy busy cheesy but good to see some old names still active here and helping.

Nice one, keep the fire burning
Ever blazing

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nolarex: 5:06am On Mar 01
Hello all, I’m confused and need all the advice I can get please.
I am a single mom of 1, haven’t been able to work much because it has been a struggle getting something that can fit into my child’s school schedule.
I currently have about £20k and I want to open an African store. The area where I am has a large black population. My confusion is that I am worried if this business can comfortably pay my house rent PLUS shop rent which will total about £2k every month. Does anyone have an idea please help me out of my mystery as I really want to start something so I can comfortably pay my bills.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:29am On Mar 01
nolarex:
I am a single mom of 1, haven’t been able to work much because it has been a struggle getting something that can fit into my child’s school schedule.
I currently have about £20k and I want to open an African store. The area where I am has a large black population. My confusion is that I am worried if this business can comfortably pay my house rent PLUS shop rent which will total about £2k every month. Does anyone have an idea please help me out of my mystery as I really want to start something so I can comfortably pay my bills.
Thank you.

You're are very right to be worried...... I think your expectations from the business, would set you up for a fall.....

When you consider shop & house rent, dual bills, fitting the shop, logistics of stocking your shop, all forms of taxation, wages etc etc ......

Your £20K would be swallowed up very quickly, leaving outstanding bills, laying around(not forgetting your £20K would have vanished) .....

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nolarex: 8:07am On Mar 01
I have some money aside to pay my house rent plus bills for 3 or more months.
The real question I think I have is if the business can comfortably generate enough profit to continue to pay my house rent and shop rent plus bills which would be a little over 2k monthly. More like I want to know the profitability in such a business or if I should do another kind of business.
Lexusgs430:

You're are very right to be worried...... I think your expectations from the business, would set you up for a fall.....

When you consider shop & house rent, dual bills, fitting the shop, logistics of stocking your shop, all forms of taxation, wages etc etc ......

Your £20K would be swallowed up very quickly, leaving outstanding bills, laying around(not forgetting your £20K would have vanished) .....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 8:28am On Mar 01
nolarex:
The real question I think I have is if the business can comfortably generate enough profit to continue to pay my house rent and shop rent plus bills which would be a little over 2k monthly. More like I want to know the profitability in such a business or if I should do another kind of business.
For me, and from my experience. If I have 20k to start a business, I would only start with 2k. Meaning, for me to want to start a business with 20, I should have at least 80/120k.

You can explore the business with 1k or 2k. For me, I wouldn’t rent a shop yet. I’ll explore other means to sell ( get a social media presence), register the business, setup an online image and presence.

You have identified your market, go for them from local marketing and the basics.

Explore the little ways you can, to start the business with just 10% of your 20+.

Then progress from there.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:32am On Mar 01
nolarex:
Thank you.

I don't know much about business but I believe people running successful businesses have one head. If they can do it, you can.

What I know is set aside between 3 and 6 months personal expenditure cover (rent, bills, feeding etc) not to be touched. The remainder is what you should put into the business. Also you don't need to start too big, you can start small and grow.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:42am On Mar 01
gmacnoms:
For me, and from my experience. If I have 20k to start a business, I would only start with 2k. Meaning, for me to want to start a business with 20, I should have at least 80/120k.

You can explore the business with 1k or 2k. For me, I wouldn’t rent a shop yet. I’ll explore other means to sell ( get a social media presence), register the business, setup an online image and presence.

You have identified your market, go for them from local marketing and the basics.

Explore the little ways you can, to start the business with just 10% of your 20+.

Then progress from there.

This is a very good one. When I hear people say they haven't started business because they haven't rented a shop/office, I always tell them their problem is not the shop because they can actually start the business without a shop/office space, most do not believe.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:44am On Mar 01
nolarex:

You need to find someone who done a similar business to understand more of the in and out. Otherwise mistake can be costly so its best to learn from others mistake instead of yours.

If you start based off your comment you are not bringing experience or anything to the table and just money. Meaning your learning curve is from scratch

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Samguine: 10:10am On Mar 01
Lexusgs430:

Yes to both...... 👌☀️

Within your revolut app, convert some £ to €(leave € as default when you spend)......

Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 10:51am On Mar 01
you need to do a business plan and structure and be honest with yourself .. these should come first..

what are you selling?
what's the market like?
what is the earning power and disposable income of your intended market?
what margins will you make from each product?
what's the ideal shelf life of the products in other stores?
you might have to do some sort of mystery shopping to other stores to observe what sells etc..

A faster way can be to find someone already in business with some years of experience over spring/winter/summer/autumn who can put you though .. but sometimes the faster way isn't necessarily the better way

some might not open up to you

Please do these before investing money.. it is deep ooo

nolarex:
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 11:36am On Mar 01
Lexusgs430:

Have you seen the names of BDC operators, CBN approved for BDC activities in Nigeria.........

You would be truly ashamed of Nigeria & CBN ..........🤣😜🤣😜

That man that asked Abokifx, to come fight him in Abuja....... Approved all this nonsense..... 😁

Boss, I thought you were joking when I saw those funny names 😆😆 but checked online and saw same thing. This is both weird and funny. Like an augmented reality. Haba
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:53am On Mar 01
LagosismyHome:

Make I laugh even though I have no clue of what was typed 😁🤣😁🤣

Ps. I have now found the meaning of the slang on Google

Its a line from a classic song by the great Fela Kuti.

Welcome back, we miss you great insights.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 12:09pm On Mar 01
nolarex:
Thank you.

I have a little experience in biz both in Nigeria and UK (African shop operations). And this is what I think:

Your fears are quite germane but shouldn't stop you. Entrepreneurship is about risks (calculated risks)

Pay attention to 3 things: Distance to *supply* route(they must be cost effective else your goods will be costlier and scare customers), customer reach (you must have few friends willing to support you with word-of-the-mouth advert and internet presence) and Overhead cost (with 20k, you will struggle in your first year with expenses like rent, logistics etc but recover from your second year if you stay resilient)

In all these, good planning is key. I wish you well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:13pm On Mar 01
makazona:

Boss, I thought you were joking when I saw those funny names 😆😆 but checked online and saw same thing. This is both weird and funny. Like an augmented reality. Haba

Nigeria is an augmented unreality.........😁😜

People think I joke too much ....... But in reality, you can think that........😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 12:34pm On Mar 01
Taal17:

And that is the process for unaccompanied minors. This isn't new,

How does this change the fact that your statement was wrong

Mr right if an unaccompanied minor travel on their own and been picked up by Parent/guardian @ the airport, that doesn't mean they are traveling out of the airport as minor.
Most school kids (minor) travel on air out of the country but are accompanied by Teachers/Adult.

The passenger I stopped on my post were Adults but who purchased child ticket to travel.
Kindly do me a favour to order alcohol/cigarettes to yur home address,send unaccompanied minor to receive the delivery.
Api New month
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:58pm On Mar 01
Binance banned and officials arrested, AbokiFX banned and still...Rates going up again..

I wonder who they'll blame next..maybe Lexusgs430

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:03pm On Mar 01
hustla:
Binance banned and officials arrested, AbokiFX banned and still...Rates going up again..

I wonder who they'll blame next..maybe Lexusgs430

smiley

What a parody and calamity, happening within our corridors of power/decision makers.......

FG kidnaps two binance officials, then place a ransom on their heads ......

Same FG is seeking FDI ...... Who in their right senses, would sign that FDI cheque heading towards Nigeria.......🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:34pm On Mar 01
Lexusgs430:

What a parody and calamity, happening within our corridors of power/decision makers.......

Same FG is seeking FDI ...... Who in their right senses, would sign that FDI cheque heading towards Nigeria.......🤣😜

grin

Nigeria is justcomic relief
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 2:50pm On Mar 01
Lexusgs430:

The tamer of Atlantic ocean is currently in Qatar trying to negotiate master of all foreign investments. Just wait for it..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:22pm On Mar 01
wonlasewonimi:

The tamer of Atlantic ocean is currently in Qatar trying to negotiate master of all foreign investments. Just wait for it..

cheesy

Did you see his speech at the climate change one. Cringe and embarrassing

Shame catch me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:49pm On Mar 01
wonlasewonimi:

I always knew he was a maverick enigma ........😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 4:16pm On Mar 01
hustla:

cheesy

Did you see his speech at the climate change one. Cringe and embarrassing

Shame catch me

Dem say pesin dunce, you're talking about his speech. He makes Bubu look like Einstein.
hustla:

[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=128725821]

I always knew he was a maverick enigma ........😁😜

In fact, we needed his brain more than his body... His brain already put us in this clusterfuck... We are geared for what his body would do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:49pm On Mar 01
wonlasewonimi:

Dem say pesin dunce, you're talking about his speech. He makes Bubu look like Einstein.

grin

I don finally jam person wey dislike am pass me

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toolluu: 12:06pm On Mar 02
Hi all, Please I want to ask, my mom just got 6 months visa. To help with the children, 1 month stay indicated on application though. Is she allowed to stay through the six months? What is the maximum period she can stay without violating any rules ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (550) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.