Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,984 members, 7,814,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462874 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (534) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:18pm On Mar 02
toolluu:
Hi all, Please I want to ask, my mom just got 6 months visa. To help with the children, 1 month stay indicated on application though. Is she allowed to stay through the six months? What is the maximum period she can stay without violating any rules ?

5 month's is a safe margin.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adexkunlex1: 1:32pm On Mar 02
Good morning all

Please a new couple in UK (myself and wife) need a couple room that has a private bathroom to stay at least pending when we can move to a bigger place. Within croydon-london is preferable but it can also be outside london though not too far cos I work around Croydon. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donald197: 4:24pm On Mar 02
Good day elders, asking for my sister(a student ) who's working for a domiciliary care company. This is her 2nd month with them, the company have refused to give our a contract/ employment letter. Even the copy of contract she signed wasn't given to her. What can she do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 5:46pm On Mar 02
toolluu:
Hi all, Please I want to ask, my mom just got 6 months visa. To help with the children, 1 month stay indicated on application though. Is she allowed to stay through the six months? What is the maximum period she can stay without violating any rules ?

Staying 6 months doesn't violate any rules, however she will be scrutinized if she shows up at border with 6month ticket or any length longer than what you put in the application

Lastly her next visa application her length of stay on previous visit will come under scrutiny unless there's like a long interval between both visits

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 8:12pm On Mar 02
donald197:
Good day elders, asking for my sister(a student ) who's working for a domiciliary care company. This is her 2nd month with them, the company have refused to give our a contract/ employment letter. Even the copy of contract she signed wasn't given to her. What can she do?

Your sister is a student. That means she is a tier-4 student visa holder?
Your sister can only legally work a maximum of 20 hours per week (during term time) is that correct?

This domiciliary care company she works for, did they offer your sister a ‘full time’ (20 hours per week) employment? Or does your sister only just pick up shifts (where available), up to 20 hours per week?

Maybe you need to discuss with your sister about the kind of ‘employment’ this domiciliary care company has given her. In all, I implore your sister to thread carefully.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by celi4ever2k5: 8:45pm On Mar 02
Hello House! I need assistance with my car insurance. I have received various quotes, which are pretty high and confusing. I currently hold both a UK Provisional Driving License and a Nigerian License, but I am uncertain which option is the best and most appropriate for me. I have noticed that the quotes I receive using my Provisional License are less than £2,000 per year, while those using my foreign license are over £3,000. I also hoped to get recommendations for insurance companies offering reasonable quotes. I appreciate your help!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 8:55pm On Mar 02
celi4ever2k5:
Hello House! I need assistance with my car insurance. I have received various quotes, which are pretty high and confusing. I currently hold both a UK Provisional Driving License and a Nigerian License, but I am uncertain which option is the best and most appropriate for me. I have noticed that the quotes I receive using my Provisional License are less than £2,000 per year, while those using my foreign license are over £3,000. I also hoped to get recommendations for insurance companies offering reasonable quotes. I appreciate your help!

Which of the licenses will you be using to drive?
You can drive with your Nigerian Licence for up to 12 months - effective from the 1st day you entered the UK.
You can only drive with a provisional licence if you are accompanied by a driver who posseses a full UK driving license, and has possessed that for at least 3 years.

The bolded makes absolute sense.
With a provisoonal licence, the risk of accident is lesser, because you are expected to driving accompanied by an experienced driver (Never alone).
With your foreign licence, you can drive (for up to 1 year) un-accompanied. The risk of accident is much greater - hence the higher insurance premium.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by celi4ever2k5: 9:08pm On Mar 02
KOVIC19COVID20:

You can drive with your Nigerian Licence for up to 12 months - effective from the 1st day you entered the UK.
You can only drive with a provisional licence if you are accompanied by a driver who posseses a full UK driving license, and has possessed that for at least 3 years.

With a provisoonal licence, the risk of accident is lesser, because you are expected to driving accompanied by an experienced driver (Never alone).
With your foreign licence, you can drive (for up to 1 year) un-accompanied. The risk of accident is much greater - hence the higher insurance premium.

I arrived in the UK in September and will be driving alone. I will be using my Nigerian driver's license. I need to find a reasonably priced insurance company. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:10pm On Mar 02
Have you gotten it now? Just checking

Gift7428:
Yes there was an error, dependent was not charged for IHS

Thank you

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:19pm On Mar 02
celi4ever2k5:

Unfortunately, the era of cheap insurance died a few years ago ......

You would simply have to pay the price, build up your no claims discount, then start benefitting from cheaper insurance quotes.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Globalshaper: 9:47pm On Mar 02
Good day, house

Please I need clarity on my credit journey.

In a quest to ramp up my credit history to position for early mortgage in the UK…

- I have tried to upgrade my contract only sim with Vodafone to phone + sim but got declined.

- I have tried to open (activate) my Experian account, also got declined because my details can’t be verified.

- My credit score with transunion seems to be crawling at 562 after 5 months of being in the UK.

- I didn’t qualify for CapitalOne Card.

- ClearScore (Equifax) didn’t also give me much product option

It’s looking to me like building my credit history will take minimum of 2 years to even begin the journey. Yet I keep seeing people here having fantastic credit score after 5 months of being in the Uk or getting a mortgage after 2 years.

My question:
What practical steps can I take to ramp up my credit history and position for early mortgage with my short UK residence history?

Thanks you 🙏

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:50pm On Mar 02
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13148651/amp/NHS-psychiatric-nurse-forged-health-emergency-badge-park-Mercedez-pay-display-near-home-free.html

The nurse has worked in the NHS for 15 years but she was still referred to as "Nigerian born" in the article lol

The consequences of her actions could have been avoided as the judge remarked
" When you are entitled to something, you are entitled to it, but when you're not, you're not."
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 10:08pm On Mar 02
Zahra29:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13148651/amp/NHS-psychiatric-nurse-forged-health-emergency-badge-park-Mercedez-pay-display-near-home-free.html

The nurse has worked in the NHS for 15 years but she was still referred to as "Nigerian born" in the article lol

" When you are entitled to something, you are entitled to it, but when you're not, you're not."

She is Nigerian born na, even with UK passport she is recorded as having naturalized citizenship
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:15pm On Mar 02
Globalshaper:
Good day, house

In a quest to ramp up my credit history to position for early mortgage in the UK…

- I have tried to upgrade my contract only sim with Vodafone to phone + sim but got declined.

- I have tried to open (activate) my Experian account, also got declined because my details can’t be verified.

- My credit score with transunion seems to be crawling at 562 after 5 months of being in the UK.

It’s looking to me like building my credit history will take minimum of 2 years to even begin the journey. Yet I keep seeing people here having fantastic credit score after 5 months of being in the Uk or getting a mortgage after 2 years.

My question:
What practical steps can I take to ramp up my credit history and position for early mortgage with my short UK residence history?

Thanks you 🙏

https://www.loqbox.com/en-gb/mx-111-control

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:31pm On Mar 02
Taal17:

She is Nigerian born na, even with UK passport she is recorded as having naturalized citizenship

If she collect Nobel prize, na British citizen.. If she do wayo, na Nigerian born

Oya naw grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:24am On Mar 03
hustla:

If she collect Nobel prize, na British citizen.. If she do wayo, na Nigerian born

Oya naw grin

Same way Nigeria lays claims to Kemi Adeosun, Kemi Badenoch, Anthony Joshua, Tammy Abraham, Bukayo Saka, Fikayo Tomori, John Boyega, etc…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by D1uncle: 12:32am On Mar 03
Globalshaper:
Good day, house

My question:

Thanks you 🙏
If you’re not registered to vote, that could be why you were declined. Please refrain from applying for any product without pre-approval, including a SIM contract. You can use Money Supermarket to find a SIM-only deal.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donald197: 1:34am On Mar 03
Thank you. They only give her 10-20 hours per week.
ReesheesuKnack:

Your sister is a student. That means she is a tier-4 student visa holder?
Your sister can only legally work a maximum of 20 hours per week (during term time) is that correct?

This domiciliary care company she works for, did they offer your sister a ‘full time’ (20 hours per week) employment? Or does your sister only just pick up shifts (where available), up to 20 hours per week?

Maybe you need to discuss with your sister about the kind of ‘employment’ this domiciliary care company has given her. In all, I implore your sister to thread carefully.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by HenriFayol(m): 2:08am On Mar 03
EE will give you any phone of your choice.
Globalshaper:
Good day, house

My question:

Thanks you 🙏

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 3:57am On Mar 03
The visa?
I have still not heard from home office.
I am still working but just worried
I can’t even use lemonade or change jobs. I am stuck
Thanks for asking.

bigtt76:
Have you gotten it now? Just checking

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 4:01am On Mar 03
hustla:

Oya naw grin
Beeni
Good child na papa get am
Bad child na mama born am
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 4:03am On Mar 03
ReesheesuKnack:

Same way Nigeria lays claims to Kemi Adeosun, Kemi Badenoch, Anthony Joshua, Tammy Abraham, Bukayo Saka, Fikayo Tomori, John Boyega, etc…
Dunno about Badenoch

The others we claim grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 5:35am On Mar 03
KOVIC19COVID20:

There are a few insurance companies that would accept non claims discount from Nigeria. If you can obtain it, try it, should bring down the rates if not done

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 7:33am On Mar 03
toolluu:

5.9 months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 7:44am On Mar 03
Zahra29:

Na Daily Mail, normal Daily Migrants bashing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:28am On Mar 03
ReesheesuKnack:

They wanted the association

Can assure you no Nigerian thinks about them like that grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:28am On Mar 03
Jamesclooney:

Na Daily Mail, normal Daily Migrants bashing

Literally quoting what the judge said

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:29am On Mar 03
Taal17:

Beeni
Good child na papa get am
Bad child na mama born am

It is well o

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 9:30am On Mar 03
hustla:

They wanted the association

Can assure you no Nigerian thinks about them like that grin

Lol. Be deceiving yourself. The same people who when they come into Nigeria even as ordinary people (not givernment reps like Kemi) get huge crowds following them around and governors and in AJ’s case even the president hosting them?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 9:36am On Mar 03
When did you out in your application?

Gift7428:
The visa?
I have still not heard from home office.
I am still working but just worried
I can’t even use lemonade or change jobs. I am stuck
Thanks for asking.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:00am On Mar 03
Goodenoch:

Lol. Be deceiving yourself. The same people who when they come into Nigeria even as ordinary people (not givernment reps like Kemi) get huge crowds following them around and governors and in AJ’s case even the president hosting them?

They wanted the Nigerian association abi wetin them dey find come Nigeria?

100s of British born "Nigerian" footballers play in England, only the ones who want to be associated with Nigeria associate with Nigeria and get the love back. It's a simple concept

undecided

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by celi4ever2k5: 10:35am On Mar 03
I remember seeing a post by Lexusgs430 warning about scams on the marketplace when buying a used car. I had an experience where a private seller listed a vehicle for sale on Autotrader, claiming no damage (non-Cat S/C/D/N) or stolen history. However, the CARVERTICAL report showed that the car had an active lease. When I contacted the finance company, SANTANDER CONSUMER FINANCE, they advised me against buying the vehicle. I want to warn new migrants to be cautious of such scams. I had to lower my preferences and buy from Arnold Clark since I needed a car urgently for work.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (534) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 080bjaked(m), deept(m), jedisco(m), xty4u(f), Boyhood, Iruobe1987 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.