Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (475) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (482327 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) (478) ... (550) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:07pm On Mar 11
hustla:
Very sad / interesting read smh

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/baby-scan-clinic-humiliated-degraded-28765633

Nice judgement. Many whites (all humans) are racist indeed, but what sets the UK apart is that whenever racism comes to light, the offenders are generally prosecuted. I don't think such a judgement would happen in France for example, I doubt it.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 9:35pm On Mar 11
Good evening everyone.

Pls any recommendations on the best company to use for deliveries for a very small biz looking to ship less than 10 items per week within the UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 9:44pm On Mar 11
Wow!! Congratulations!! Well done.

lightofjoy:

Along the line, an agent from an online jobsite categorically call me and told me that since I don't have UK experience, I should come down on my salary expectation and come to something like 35K or 40K but with my 16 years professional experiences and my experience in my last job in Nigeria, I was determined to go for the best. Also, from this forum, there were advices by some of our people that said you should go for the salary range you want and someone even said here that don't apply for salary range you don't want. Before I forget, I graduated with distinction when my result came out in February (All Glory to God). All these encourage me to go for what I want, I was applying for as many as I could in my desired salary range and later within the last two weeks of interview I got a job of over 60K with hybrid working and a lot of benefits.
I am so grateful to God for His mercies and to this forum for all the precious advises. Am grateful.

I decided to write this long epistle as this might encourage someone in this group that it will always get better. Thank you once again.
Please pardon me for any typo.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 10:51pm On Mar 11
mizGene:
Good evening everyone.

Pls any recommendations on the best company to use for deliveries for a very small biz looking to ship less than 10 items per week within the UK?

I think you should check out DPD.co.uk

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:28pm On Mar 11
lightofjoy:

Along the line, an agent from an online jobsite categorically call me and told me that since I don't have UK experience, I should come down on my salary expectation and come to something like 35K or 40K but with my 16 years professional experiences and my experience in my last job in Nigeria, I was determined to go for the best. Also, from this forum, there were advices by some of our people that said you should go for the salary range you want and someone even said here that don't apply for salary range you don't want. Before I forget, I graduated with distinction when my result came out in February (All Glory to God). All these encourage me to go for what I want, I was applying for as many as I could in my desired salary range and later within the last two weeks of interview I got a job of over 60K with hybrid working and a lot of benefits.

Kudos.. happy the grit and grind paid off. Na this kind story dey sweet.
No apologies aiming for the top. We are not neant to scrape the bottom.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:29pm On Mar 11
hustla:
Very sad / interesting read smh

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/baby-scan-clinic-humiliated-degraded-28765633

Harrowing story for me.

I'm glad she found the strength and right support to help her thru. Not group of folks repeating 'afterall, Nigeria is not any better' or 'she knew what she was going into'

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:10am On Mar 12
lavida001:
Bold of Rishi to think this people want to work.

grin

Alot of lazy folks have hidden under the bandwagon of immigration/Brexit to milk the system and hapless immigrants. Currently 2.8 million on longterm sick. Ultimately the most effective way to reduce that number is to make work pay. All the talk about NHS wait lists are additional.

Reason why I wanted the care visa to end so eye go clear everybody. One told me over the weekend that she'd rather flip burgers at Macdonalds than be paid minimum wage for a care role. (I have rephrased her words nicely).

Council recently sent me a letter informing me council tax is going up by 12%. i.e I'm now to pay 2.4k+ a year. Guess the main driver? Adult social care which is also the story for many other councils. Annoyingly, e go still increase next year as many folks and their nans want carers four times a day plus supported living not including those seeking free council house e.t.c all paid for by others peoples taxes. These same folks would still say its tax paying immigrants looting the system.

I hope when time reaches for tax paying immigrants to benefit from same adult social care, there wouldn't be calls saying these new group of Brits were not born here.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:14am On Mar 12
Lexusgs430:

You have no influence over other people's behaviour...... But when a wrong is exhibited, seek legal redress......

Let's put you in her shoes, when the tribunal awarded damages, would you reject the financial compensation........ 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

oga, i need your help. I tried getting a travel insurance for a relative coming to the uk but the cover was shown in euros. I entered destination country as uk suprised to see what it covers in euros. please can you advise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hwy9: 1:13am On Mar 12
oga, i need your help. I tried getting a travel insurance for a relative coming to the uk but the cover was shown in euros. I entered destination country as uk suprised to see what it covers in euros. please can you advise.

I was thinking getting one from 9ja should be cheaper. Please let me know how it goes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:39am On Mar 12
jedisco:

Alot of lazy folks have hidden under the bandwagon of immigration/Brexit to milk the system + hapless immigrants. Currently 2.8 million on longterm sick. Ultimately the most effective way to reduce that number is to make work pay. All the talk about NHS wait lists are additional.

Reason why I wanted the care visa to end so eye go clear everybody. One told me over the weekend that she'd rather flip burgers at Macdonalds than be paid minimum wage for a care role. (I have rephrased her words nicely).

Council recently sent me a letter informing me council tax is going up by 12%. i.e I'm now to pay 2.4k+ a year. Guess the main driver? Adult social care which is also the story for many other councils. Annoyingly, e go still increase next year as many folks and their nans want carers four times a day plus supported living not including thise seeking free council house e.t.c all paid for by others peoples taxes. These same folks would still say its tax paying immigrants looting the system.

I hope when time reaches for tax paying immigrants to benefit from same adult social care, there wouldn't be calls saying these new group of Brits were not born here.

Only if Nigeria could work. UK policy’s towards immigrants is a sinister one. That’s why I do always shekpe for anybody and their family involve in Nigeria being backwards.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:46am On Mar 12
Poanan:

Your travel insurance company, are they based in Nigeria.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 8:25am On Mar 12
[quote author=makazona post=128893277]

I think you should check out DPD.co.uk [/quote
]
Thanks, will do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:25am On Mar 12
lavida001:

Only if Nigeria could work. UK policy’s towards immigrants is a sinister one. That’s why I do always shekpe for anybody and their family involve in Nigeria being backwards.

Lol that's a whole lot of people to shekpe for 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:29am On Mar 12
AntiMCU:

Guys please your help on this issue is required.

Is the job code still not appearing? It's either a system glitch or they're making changes ahead of the SOL overhaul in April - though it's most likely to be the former.
If the issue is still persisting I would contact the hiring officer/HR to see if they can access it on their end or escalate to home office.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:34am On Mar 12
lavida001:
Bold of Rishi to think this people want to work.

grin

I shall be there no matter what

They should reduce taxes first and encourage people who want to work

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:40am On Mar 12
@jedisco

I think the only way to attract locals to take up care work is to increase the minimum wage in that sector and maybe decrease taxes or give some additional incentives (I doubt that will happen though)

I know there will be cries about shortages within 1 yr though.

Make we dey observe
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:53am On Mar 12
bro, i thought we've had this discussion on NL before

No need for this.... you're killing the positive vibes and celebration..

Care work is legal work... it is a way to pay the never-ending bills.. it is a path to come into the UK.. it can also be a temporary phase to other greater career paths .... it can also be a career path people are passionate about .... make we dey chill sometimes

We don't need this tbh

hustla:

Congrats bro!

May God make you bigger and widen your coast beyond your heart's desire

Na these kain things I like dey see and hear for this forum and outside, No be care work this and that

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:06am On Mar 12
profemebee:
bro, i thought we've had this discussion on NL before

No need for this.... you're killing the positive vibes and celebration..

Care work is legal work... it is a way to pay the never-ending bills.. it is a path to come into the UK.. it can also be a temporary phase to other greater career paths .... it can also be a career path people are passionate about .... make we dey chill sometimes

We don't need this tbh

OK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 10:13am On Mar 12
Lexusgs430:

Your travel insurance company, are they based in Nigeria.........

Yes. The ones here do no do travel insurance again except u are residents in uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Samguine: 12:16pm On Mar 12
Poanan:

Yes. The ones here do no do travel insurance again except u are residents in uk

What is the name of the insurance company you want to use?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TammyCeo: 12:29pm On Mar 12
[quote author=tlanry post=128689609]
You can try Broadsend too. Works for me and its cheaper.
https://linktr.ee/broadsend

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 2:07pm On Mar 12
Zahra29:

Is the job code still not appearing? It's either a system glitch or they're making changes ahead of the SOL overhaul in April - though it's most likely to be the former.
If the issue is still persisting I would contact the hiring officer/HR to see if they can access it on their end or escalate to home office.

Thank you for your reply.

I escalated to my HR, apparently home office has not added the code online but they gave them a workaround in which I can input the code manually.

I will try it and see what happens.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:53pm On Mar 12
Zahra29:

Lol that's a whole lot of people to shekpe for 😂

omo if anybody mama or papa be party woman leader for APC na double epe.

country that has everything yet its citizenry are runnning away to where they have next to non.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:03pm On Mar 12
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/amp/church-pastor-who-preached-daily-on-facebook-jailed-for-beat-303205/

It's people like this that are giving Nigerian immigrants a bad name in the UK, it's crazy. I know spouses can suddenly develop unimaginable characters (including cheating) when they get to the UK, but domestic violence is never the solution. It's better to let the marriage gradually degenerate (while arranging plan B) and disintegrate eventually rather than be forced to go violent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 3:26pm On Mar 12
Samguine:

What is the name of the insurance company you want to use?
anyone is okay. i checked AXA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:38pm On Mar 12
ehizario2012:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/amp/church-pastor-who-preached-daily-on-facebook-jailed-for-beat-303205/

It's people like this that are giving Nigerian immigrants a bad name in the UK, it's crazy. I know spouses can suddenly develop unimaginable characters (including cheating) when they get to the UK, but domestic violence is never the solution. It's better to let the marriage gradually degenerate (while arranging plan B) and disintegrate eventually rather than be forced to go violent.

That was very uncomfortable reading, such a violent man.

Well, he'll be deported after he's released.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 3:40pm On Mar 12
ehizario2012:

This has nothing to do with Nigerian immigrants, and you should react very strongly to anyone who attempts to make it look like it does.

What's the responsibility of the community of Nigerians in the UK with what this one man did? Is there not a huge amount of domestic violence in the UK by all sorts of people from all countries?

I'm all for taking responsibility to fix up as a community where necessary but this one man and his madness is his personal problem and no justification for anyone to give Nigerians a bad name.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by okposm: 3:55pm On Mar 12
good afternoon everyone. Please I need civil servants to explain how they mark interview. I recently attended an interview on teams. After the interview, I felt I did well. However, after the mail I decided to look at the feedback. They said they expected me to have mentioned the name of tool I used for analysis, and what I was told to analyse which I did mention during the interview. However, what I found confusing was that I was scored 11 on strength and 4 on experience. However, my total score was left at 18.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:11pm On Mar 12
This isn't it sha......

The UK is already dealing with high DV%, especially during/after sporting events amongst the Brits, even when the men's fav teams wins... most times alcohol driven..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/domestic-abuse-world-cup-england-win-b2237666.html

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/domesticabuseinenglandandwalesoverview/november2022

It has nothing to specifically do with immigrants.. or Nigeria..

The man is a coward

ehizario2012:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:58pm On Mar 12
Goodenoch:

This has nothing to do with Nigerian immigrants, and you should react very strongly to anyone who attempts to make it look like it does.

What's the responsibility of the community of Nigerians in the UK with what this one man did? Is there not a huge amount of domestic violence in the UK by all sorts of people from all countries?

I'm all for taking responsibility to fix up as a community where necessary but this one man and his madness is his personal problem and no justification for anyone to give Nigerians a bad name.

He is Nigerian, that's a fact that cannot be denied. His action has not added value to us, and we must condemn it. Other nationals might be doing it, but doesn't mean we should overlook this. The wife might have frustrated him, but violence has landed him in more trouble. Simple.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 5:03pm On Mar 12
ehizario2012:

He is Nigerian, that's a fact that cannot be denied. His action has not added value to us, and we must condemn it. Other nationals might be doing it, but doesn't mean we should overlook this. The wife might have frustrated him, but violence has landed him in more trouble. Simple.

I never said he should not be condemned.

Do you sha. If you like, go around carrying the cross of every random misdeed perpetrated by any Nigerian immigrant.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 5:54pm On Mar 12
ehizario2012:

I don't think anybody is denying the fact he's a Nigerian, neither are they commending his action. But the fact is his action did not represent the wider Nigerian community, neither is it worth giving us a bad name over.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) (477) (478) ... (550) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: jedisco(m), Shegze, AgentXxx(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.