Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,026 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:48 PM

Our System Has Collapse- Gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our System Has Collapse- Gej (2596 Views)

AMCON, Capital Oil’s Talks Collapse / Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. / Without PDP Democracy In Nigeria Will Collapse – GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our System Has Collapse- Gej by olawalebabs(m): 9:44am On Sep 28, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday painted a hopeless image of the nation’s state institutions with vivid descriptions of a collapsed system that encourages a culture of corruption, patronage and indiscipline.
Speaking at the 51st Independence Anniversary Lecture in Abuja, the president said the institutions of state must be strengthened to enable the country realise its potentials. But he did not say specifically what steps he was taking to improve the situation.

Jonathan said the country has been running on a deficit budget because the institutions that are supposed to protect public resources and prevent leakages have collapsed.

He said his office has been turned into a regular consultation room for ministers because systemic rot made it impossible for them to operate independent of the presidency.

The president said even doctors, who are supposed to protect lives, sometimes end up killing people and nobody takes action because the institutions that should monitor their activities have also collapsed.

He also cited lack of accurate census figures and improper statistics on the economy as indicators of institutional failures.

“I used to tell people in my office that ministers don’t need to see me if the system is working well. Even if I am sick for six months, ordinary Nigerians will not know the President is sick because the system is supposed to run,” Jonathan said.

“I was told that you rarely see people going to work by 8am even though the period of service is between 8am and 4pm. How many directors come to work by 8am? I am not sure 10% of directors come to work by 8, not exactly.

“I am not going to chase them by carrying a big stick going into the ministries and breaking the heads of the people. But I believe that for us to get to where we want to go, as a nation, we have to build strong institutions and when we build strong institutions, these institutions will drive the process.”

The president’s despondency yesterday came after a similar show of frustration on Sunday at the special church service marking the Independence Anniversary.

In reply to critics of his style of leadership, he said, “Some Nigerians still want the President of this country to be a lion or a tiger, somebody that has that kind of strength and force and agility to make things happen the way they think. Some others will want the President to operate like an army general, like my Chief of Army Staff commanding his troops. Incidentally, I am not a lion; I am not also a general.

“Somebody will want the President to operate like the kings of Syria, Babylon, Egypt, the Pharaoh, all - powerful people that you read about in the Bible. They want the president to operate that way, the characters of the Goliath. Unfortunately, I am not one of those…. I don’t need to be a lion. I don’t need to be Nebuchadnezzar. I don’t need to operate like the Pharaoh of Egypt. I don’t need to be an army general but I can change this country without those traits.”

Guest speaker at yesterday’s Independence Lecture, Mr. Richard Dowden, described the discovery of oil in Nigeria as a “curse” rather a blessing.

Dowden, who is the Director of Royal Africa Society, identified “unfairness in the system of resource allocation” as reason for fierce competition. He also identified corruption, poor reputation and flight of human capital as other factors that have worked against the country’s economic prosperity.

“But the fifth and main problem that Nigeria faces is politics. Often, Nigeria and much of Africa has followed the wrong economic policies for political reasons,” he said.

“This has accounted for the over 100 million Nigerians living in poverty—which is a quarter of the total poverty in sub-Saharan Africa. After oil and corruption which are closely linked, I would say that Nigeria’s reputation in the past still puts off investors and tourists.”

The Independence Lecture was themed ‘Nigeria in Transformation’, and was part of the activities leading to the 51st Independence Day on Saturday.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28713:jonathanour-system-has-collapsed&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by olawalebabs(m): 9:45am On Sep 28, 2011
Our president don confess that naija problem is beyond him, what should we do now?
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Akanbiedu(m): 11:23am On Sep 28, 2011
Poor Jonathan.

I really pity him.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by olawalebabs(m): 12:14pm On Sep 28, 2011
is a pity our destiny is in the hand of a self confess confuse president
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Kobojunkie: 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2011
He also cited lack of accurate census figures and improper statistics on the economy as indicators of institutional failures.

“I used to tell people in my office that ministers don’t need to see me if the system is working well. Even if I am sick for six months, ordinary Nigerians will not know the President is sick because the system is supposed to run,” Jonathan said.

“I was told that you rarely see people going to work by 8am even though the period of service is between 8am and 4pm. How many directors come to work by 8am? I am not sure 10% of directors come to work by 8, not exactly.

“I am not going to chase them by carrying a big stick going into the ministries and breaking the heads of the people. But I believe that for us to get to where we want to go, as a nation, we have to build strong institutions and when we build strong institutions, these institutions will drive the process.”

The president’s despondency yesterday came after a similar show of frustration on Sunday at the special church service marking the Independence Anniversary.

The man does not even know that is part of his job  grin grin grin He actually expects them to AUTOmagically check themslves . . . . sweet!!!
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by olawalebabs(m): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
If we are to build institution, we start from building individual capacity. not people who will say 'yes' today and 'no' tomorrow. not people who will sign an agreement when it favours them and turn back to disown that same agreement.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Yorubaman2: 12:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
The truth is Nigeria's problem is too overwhelming - and unless one is totally honest - is when it can be tackled. Unfortunately GEJ carries too much baggages
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by olawalebabs(m): 1:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
Yoruba-man:

The truth is Nigeria's problem is too overwhelming  - and unless one is totally honest  - is when it can be tackled.  Unfortunately GEJ carries too much baggages
totally agree with that. the load istoo much for him, we don' t need a Lilly livered president at this point intime
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Sep 28, 2011
Yoruba-man:

The truth is Nigeria's problem is too overwhelming - and unless one is totally honest - is when it can be tackled. Unfortunately GEJ carries too much baggages

Bull!! Nigeria's problem and that of much of Africa, exists because people continue to REFUSE to tackle them. You have a President here telling you outright he is not going to tackle the issue of lazy officials and you dey mouth say the problems are overwhelming? See, not until we stop making excuses for the ridiculous will we realize how very easy many of our problems are to deal with and how with individuals simply making the right decision( or are FORCED to -- I prefer this option really) things will change in a twinkling of an eye).
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 28, 2011
Mr President, please don't write Second Book of Lamentations; we know our institutions are weak. The pertinent question is: What will you do about the collapsed institutions? How will you strengthen them?
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 28, 2011
GEJ is like a bad father that spoils his kids at every turn. compromising dude.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by SisiKill1: 3:28pm On Sep 28, 2011

That's all well and good Mr. President but sometimes the only way to get the job done is to carry a big stick and start breaking heads.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by ayinba1(f): 3:33pm On Sep 28, 2011
Seriously!
Does this guy have any inkling what he just said. Or has been saying?

We are in deep hot soup!.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by dayokanu(m): 3:45pm On Sep 28, 2011
Basically he has no solution to our problems other than to sit down and look
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by damola1: 4:18pm On Sep 28, 2011
We need a business man, a successful business man to run Nigeria.

You cannot tell me because my employees are stealing, I won't lock them up and hire new ones, There are many people looking for opportunity not only to feed but to serve this country, If Mr. Johnathan cannot see that he's got the power to hire and fire, and that when a bad employee goes, a good one will most likely take over, then he's in trouble,
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Sep 28, 2011
Finally the dude is making sense . . .so what is he gonna do about it?
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by islamrules(m): 4:25pm On Sep 28, 2011
Why disgracing himself publicly by lamenting.

That is why we elected him as the president.

He is their to serve!

Did he think presidency is a joke ?

Does he think he is their to party and cart away money ?

He should just STFU and start working,
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
islamrules:

Why disgracing himself publicly by lamenting.

That is why we elected him as the president.

He is their to serve!

Did he think presidency is a joke ?

Does he think he is their to party and cart away money ?

He should just STFU and start working,

Lol . . how can he serve when he has no idea what he is doing . . . at least now we know he is confused.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by owobokiri(m): 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
Your  job is to fix the system. Map out a plan and correct the anomalies and stop wailing. Good policies will fix things not silly rants.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Sep 28, 2011
owobokiri:

Your  job is to fix the system. Map out a plan and correct the anomalies and stop wailing. Good policies will fix things not silly rants.

The man has no idea what his job is, so we need to redefine it to him . . . . Lol
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by kunlekunle: 4:30pm On Sep 28, 2011
The man does not even know that is part of his job He actually expects them to AUTOmagically check themslves . . . . sweet!!!

the bolded part shd be autoluckilly
he needs patience now to govern
we need patience as well
more time
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
kunlekunle:

The man does not even know that is part of his job He actually expects them to AUTOmagically check themslves . . . . sweet!!!

the bolded part shd be [b]autoluckilly
he needs patience now to govern
we need patience as well
more time
[/b]

You only need patience with someone that knows what he is doing, this one have no clue and from all he is saying, i will advice him to just walk away from power
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by nagoma(m): 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2011
The more often my President opens his mouth to address me the more certain I am that he is becoming despondent, muddle-headed and lonely. This is pathetic and cannot be the fresh air we were promised.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by aurenflani: 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
no he expects things to get to normal with "your prayers"
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by safariman(m): 4:49pm On Sep 28, 2011
But Mr. President, what is the solution?
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by executinal(m): 4:54pm On Sep 28, 2011
GEJ you have said it all, as you have identified the problems on ground, then you need solution right? carry stick and break their head that is why Nigeria made you the head of state. Please fire fire all the rubbish people. I still remember one of my GM then, who understand what leadership is all about and leaves by example. He understand that some managers doesn't keep to time nor perform to his expectations, then what did he do? he introduced clocking machine for every employee and added more responsibilities to their Job. This made them to resume earlier to enable them clocking on time, because if you come late they will automatically surcharge you from the employees data base. GEJ as you know the problem please solve it simple. We can only understand if you don't know the problem sad sad sad sad
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by friedrice1: 5:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
I am not going to chase them by carrying a big stick going into the ministries and breaking the heads of the people. But I believe that for us to get to where we want to go, as a nation, we have to build strong institutions and when we build strong institutions, these institutions will drive the process.”
We need strong people to to build strong institutions. buhari hammered on this.
We need Goliaths and Lions to rule Nigeria Nigeria because we are gliding towards a failed state, indiscipline and corruption are the major culprits
Ministers and Federal Directors of Institutions in Nigeria need someone who would actually yield the Big Stick and break heads to get them moving
GEJ has confessed he cant do all this, the only action left of him is to Resign.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Beaf: 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
Lol! For those who criticise GEJ for speaking the truth, you should at least acknowledge one thing; his words show that he actually cares.
He might not have clothed his words in rhyme like Shakespeare, but there is no doubting where his heart and energy are directed. He isn't like Abacha that told Nigerians to cry all they liked, cos he doesn't read newspapers and wouldn't know about it.

Institutions are really one of Nigeria's fundamental problems. Without glossing it, lets not forget that we are a failed state and GEJ is our last chance for a rescue. You declare a state failed when its institutions have crumbled and society is fractured and broken. Luckily, our govt has not lost control as in Somalia and showed resilience even when its biggest threat MEND cut its source of funding to a pittance.

This is a list of failed states for 2011 (Nigeria's index improved a little, by 0.3 with the advent of GEJ). We have been number 14 since 2008.

1 Somalia
2 Chad
3 Sudan
4 Democratic Republic of the Congo
5 Haiti
6 Zimbabwe
7 Afghanistan
8 Central African Republic
9 Iraq
10 Côte d'Ivoire
11 Guinea
12 Pakistan
13 Yemen
14 Nigeria
15 Niger
16 Kenya
17 Burundi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Failed_States_Index

We really need to be patient and thoughtful when our President mentions the building of institutions, because it shows that he has a deep understanding of what is needed to pull Nigeria through. This is our last bus stop before the abyss.

We can make it.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Beaf: 6:00pm On Sep 28, 2011
fried-rice:

We need strong people to to build strong institutions. buhari hammered on this.
We need Goliaths and Lions to rule Nigeria Nigeria because we are gliding towards a failed state,  indiscipline and corruption are the major culprits
Ministers and Federal Directors of Institutions in Nigeria need someone who would actually yield the Big Stick and break heads to get them moving
GEJ has confessed he cant do all this, the only action left of him is to Resign.

I hate hearing this foolishness, its like someone ra'pes your wife and daughter and you go to the police to beg them to release him to continue.
Please stop talking nonsense. It is your "strong people, Goliaths and Lions" that got us where we are today and made us a failed state.

GEJ said he was not a Goliath while in prayer to God. Can't you respect what a man says to his God?
I wonder if you would go to a church or mosque to declare yourself a champion. Your very words are another symptom of a failed state, cos society breaks down and some become bestial, immoral and unthinking.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by friedrice1: 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^^I pity you. you have the most difficult job on the planet. Keep it up, one day you may just eventually convince us that the colour of grass is sky blue.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by Beaf: 6:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
fried-rice:

^^^I pity you. you have the most difficult job on the planet. Keep it up, one day you may just eventually convince us that the colour of grass is sky blue.

Pity is all you can do, but intelligence and morals are what you lack. Go on calling for the "strong leaders" that wrecked the country and tell us your head is screwed on right. Rubbish.
Re: Our System Has Collapse- Gej by friedrice1: 6:55pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^^^ your case is beyond redemption brother, wont join issues with you, all i can do is pity and pray for the repose of your lost soul. Idiat!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Urges Us To Assist Nigeria’s Anti-terrorism War / GEJ To Replace 50 Northern SSS Operatives Guarding Aso Rock With Southern SSS / Obama Will Sign 666 Into Law By March 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.