Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

did you ever read that User manual ? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / did you ever read that User manual ? (6167 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg's Epic Response To Darlene Loretto, A Facebook User / Mtn, Glo, Airtel, Etisalat Manual And Automatic Internet Settings / Help With Sprint Htc Ppc 6800 User Manual (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by ShyOne(f): 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2011
Sadly many Americans do the same as well from my observation.

Many Americans - especially men - do the same - just start pressing buttons and don't want to take the time to read.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 30, 2011
I will love to have a constructive argument wit u but i'm on my phone
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Tolulop001(f): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
that is why most Nigerians will die in their own ignorance.

It is evidenced on NL too, people putting up new posts for information they can get by Google.

Happens a lot on Career section, people come and ask about a particular examination or certification without even going to the website first!

Totally irks me!
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by manny4life(m): 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2011
Trust and believe, no matter how SMART or Intelligent you think you are, always take the time to read the manual, it will save you in the long run. Often at times, the manufacturer might have changed a particular procedure say steps 1 thru 7, manufacturer changed step 5, but using your own knowledge, you will miss it because u think u know it, after 30days, the equipments becomes faulty, the u consult your manual, already LATE. Trust Nigerians, they will tell you that the equipment wasn't built properly, or they will use excuse to justify their ignorance.

For instance, I have seen my friend who went to the store bought for instance a TV stand, though we young men like to DIY which I often do, but the diagrams for assembly are there for a reason. My buddy actually effed it up, because things were placed incorrectly, by the time he wanted to re-assemble again, some parts were actually missing, scraped off, I told him that's what I too know causes.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Wallie(m): 1:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
Why do people think this is a Nigerian thing? Most people everywhere don’t read manuals except for the very cautious anal ones.

I don’t read manuals and I take pride in figuring things out and only resort to manuals when I get stomped. I believe any appliance, instrument, software, hardware, or vehicle built and configured for the “average” consumer can be mostly (~85%) figured out without reading the manual. To figure out the remaining 15% which are probably esoteric functions that you would rarely use might require digging into the manual.

You actually sit down and read a manual before putting stuff together? At most, I might give a cursory look at diagrams but I’ll die of boredom reading stuff that an 8 year old can figure out without reading.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by MrWhy1(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2011
@OP

Okay. Good observation. Naija hear You. Create a Blog and start educating people on the importance of reading manuals.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by razznaija(f): 1:21pm On Sep 30, 2011
Why do you think this is just a Nigerian thing? everybody does that wether they are American, Chinese, British or even South African  so i don't get why you see this as only a Nigerian thing.  Just go to yahoo.com/answers go to the electronics section and you will see people asking questions that they could have easily read the manual to confirm,  this is just a very ignorant post.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 1:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
razznaija:

Why do you think this is just a Nigerian thing? everybody does that wether they are American, Chinese, British or even South African  so i don't get why you see this as only a Nigerian thing.  Just go to yahoo.com/answers go to the electronics section and you will see people asking questions that they could have easily read the manual to confirm,  this is just a very ignorant post.

Thank you for the compliment, anything else you want to share?
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2011
razznaija:

So you are telling me that people from the different parts of the world, place their mouths on the speaker of their mobile phones instead of the microphone at the bottom when they want the other party to hear them better. I salute your brilliance- it has left me dumbfounded!
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Wallie(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
Also, not reading a manual is not ignorance. If the designers of the appliance really did their job, 80% of the functionality should be obvious. The goal of any designer is to design something that’s intuitive and they even put clues on the appliance to guide your actions.

Any appliance or “thing” that requires you to read a manual to perform the most basic function will not be a mainstream item. If you’re trying to use advanced features of the “thing” then you probably need to read the manual.

I see manuals more as a reference document that you consult when you can’t figure things out or get stomped. For example, I was in my friend’s Accord when he flicked on his headlight and to my surprise, a symbol lit up on the instrument cluster. My first reaction was that his headlight was out but he said the symbol actually alerts him to the fact that his headlight is on. I immediately pulled out his user manual to confirm his statement, which was true.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Demdem(m): 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2011
Bought a new phone today, charged the damn thing and started using it
When i have issues will consult the manual cool cool cool
Abegiii dont copy me ooooo
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by callydon(m): 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
Demdem:

Bought a new phone today, charged the damn thing and started using it
When i have issues will consult the manual cool cool cool
Abegiii dont copy me ooooo
Well. It all depends on d phone U bought, If U bought a Nokia torch,there's Absolutely no need to read d manual.
But if its an iphone,BB or Windows phone U'll DEFINITELY need d manual.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by highland(m): 2:24pm On Sep 30, 2011
Most people already knew 'how to' before even going to make purchase.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2011
I have noticed that people try to defend their acts when someone points out that it might be flawed.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Wallie(m): 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2011
maclatunji:

I have noticed that people try to defend their acts when someone points out that it might be flawed.

The operative word in your sentence is “might”. I have one word in response: “usability.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability

See the extent Industrial Engineers/Designers go through to make a product intuitive so that you won’t need to carry a user manual in your back pocket.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
Lol. . .I'm also very guilty of this. Let me give a specific example. . . .

I bought my laptop (a Hp pavillion dv6900 Special Edition) in 2008 and it came with a wireless mouse amongst other things. I got home, brought out the lapy from the carton and switched it on. I then brought out the wireless mouse and inserted the battery, switched it on and tried using it with the laptop and it didn't work.

I was like ''Kiniyi o sise jor'' (this thing nor work jare) and dumped the mouse back in the carton and exed the mousegrin. About a year later, I met someone with exactly my laptop but he was navigating his with the wireless mouse. I then approached him and asked him ''Bros, I have exactly this lapy but since I bought it, the mouse didn't work'' and the guy asked me ''did you plug the transmitter''?

^^And I replied ''which transmitter?. . .I just put the batteries in it, switched it on and checked to see my lapy bluetooth was ON and when I tried using the mouse, it didn't work. . .abi nor be bluetooth e dey use?'' grin The guy laughed and replied ''NO, it doesn't use bluetooth. . as you can see my bluetooth is OFF and the mouse is working . . . it actually uses a transmitter and it's inside the mouse. . .you have to remove the transmitter from inside the mouse and plug in the laptop, then it'd install the mouse drivers and it'll start working''. He then opened his mouse to show me where the transmitter will be.

So I got home later that day, brought out the mouse, opened it and the transmitter was exactly where he said it'd be. I then plugged it in the laptop and after it installed it's drivers, the mouse started working.

To cut a long story short, I denied myself of using the wireless mouse for a long time simply cos I didn't read the laptop manual. . .and GOD know how much I hate using the mouse on laptops.

If you think I've changed as a result of that experience, you're on a long thing cos I still don't read user manuals grin tongue
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Lol. . .I'm also very guilty of this. Let me give a specific example. . . .

I bought my laptop (a Hp pavillion dv6900 Special Edition) in 2008 and it came with a wireless mouse amongst other things. I got home, brought out the lapy from the carton and switched it on. I then brought out the wireless mouse and inserted the battery, switched it on and tried using it with the laptop and it didn't work.

I was like ''Kiniyi o sise jor'' (this thing nor work jare) and dumped the mouse back in the carton and exed the mousegrin. About a year later, I met someone with exactly my laptop but he was navigating it with the wireless mouse. I then approached him and asked him ''Bros, I have exactly this lapy but since I bought it, the mouse didn't work'' and the guy asked me ''did you plug the transmitter''?

^^And I replied ''which transmitter?. . .I just put the batteries in it, switched it on and checked to see my lapy bluetooth was ON and when I tried using the mouse, it didn't work. . .abi nor be bluetooth e dey use?'' grin The guy laughed and replied ''NO, it doesn't use bluetooth. . as you can see my bluetooth is OFF and the mouse is working . . . it actually uses a transmitter and it's inside the mouse. . .you have to remove the transmitter from inside the mouse and plug in the laptop, then it'd install the mouse drivers and it'll start working''. He then opened his mouse to show me where the transmitter will be.

So I got home later that day, brought out the mouse, opened it and the transmitter was exactly where he said it'd be. I then plugged it in the laptop and after it installed it's drivers, the mouse started working.

To cut a long story short, I denied myself of using the wireless mouse for a long time simply cos I didn't read the laptop manual. . .and GOD know how much I hate using the mouse on laptops.

If you think I've changed as a result of that experience, you're on a long thing cos I still don't read user manuals grin tongue[/i]

You have aptly captured the essence of this thread and the attitude of most Nigerians regarding the issue.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Demdem(m): 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2011
^^^^^
U are still unrepentant. Have u read the manual? smiley smiley
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by atasteve: 3:46pm On Sep 30, 2011
Manuals are so good and very educative.

Refusing to read the manual will only make you under utilise the device and obviously not get value for your money sad
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by iyatrustee(f): 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2011
its true oh! in fact, recently i decided to change my microwave to one that comes with a griller. becos i had gotten used to microwave ovens, i didnt bother to read the manual only for me to find out it works differently. It is now decoration in my kitchen cos i can operate it effectively and i don troway the manual tey tey embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
well, i must be one in a million then because i make it a point to read every manual that comes with my purchases-from electronics to cars.

last time i took over a week purring through my toyota highlander manual so much so that i was even the
one telling the car dealer a lot of things he never even knew existed in the car!  smiley
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by BigMeat2: 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
Most of us mankind believe we know how things operate, hence we are not enthusiastic about reading the manuals, until the damage has been done.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by iyatrustee(f): 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2011
iyatrustee:

its true oh! in fact, recently i decided to change my microwave to one that comes with a griller. becos i had gotten used to microwave ovens, i didnt bother to read the manual only for me to find out it works differently. It is now decoration in my kitchen cos i cant operate it effectively and i don troway the manual tey tey embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

edited
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by sylve11: 4:21pm On Sep 30, 2011
what about if i don't know how to read? sad cool
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 4:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
sylve11:

what about if i don't know how to read? sad cool

Do you think you are being smart with that comment?
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Wallie(m): 4:26pm On Sep 30, 2011
George_D:

well, i must be one in a million then because i make it a point to read every manual that comes with my purchases-from electronics to cars.

last time i took over a week purring through my toyota highlander manual so much so that i was even the
one telling the car dealer a lot of things he never even knew existed in the car!  smiley

George_D:

one telling the car dealer a lot of things he never even knew existed in the car! smiley

That's great! But there are times when things would go wrong with your car and the manual will only tell you to take it to the nearest dealer.

For example, a few months ago, I needed to change the battery in my car because the battery died while I was listening to music in accessory mode. The first problem that I encountered was how to jump start the car. I couldn't figure out where to get a negative terminal (the battery in my car is hidden in the trunk) that works. I had to take out the manual to see how to jump start the car.

The following day, I went to the store to get a battery to replace the dying battery but I couldn't find it in the trunk. The manual only states that I should take it to the dealer for replacement. So I went online, and eventually found out that the battery was hidden under the spare tire and covered by a huge suspension leveling sensor that has to be unbolted from the floor of the trunk to expose the battery.

Bottom line is that you will learn way more than most “regular” Toyota technicians, even American ones, by reading more about your car on internet forums. Most forums have Master technicians posting comments about issues owners are facing.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Purist(m): 4:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
I just finished a course in Usability last week, and this issue was one of the numerous topics treated.  From Usability viewpoint, it has been reported that majority of users (about 90% or so) do NOT read manuals.  So, this is not a 'Nigerian' thing at all.

And Wallie is right.  One of the most fundamental usability attributes is Learnability.  Products should be easy to learn and easy to use, intuitively.  Any system that causes a user to first of all consult a manual before figuring out a thing about that system most likely has a very poor design (from engineering & usability perspective) and therefore has serious Usability issues (unless it's a really complex system, or the user is exceptionally dull).

Manuals are simply there for reference purposes, most times when you hit a dead end with your devices or you're trying to use some advanced features.  They're not novels that should be read from kpali to kpali.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 4:30pm On Sep 30, 2011
Purist:

I just finished a course in Usability last week, and this issue was one of the numerous topics treated.  From Usability viewpoint, it has been reported that majority of users (about 90% or so) do NOT read manuals.  So, this is not a 'Nigerian' thing at all.

Well, I am not trying to ridicule your point but it is only right to speak of what you know. Now that I have brought it to the fore, we can all learn more about the topic

And Wallie is right.  One of the most fundamental usability attributes is Learnability.  Products should be easy to learn and easy to use, intuitively.  Any system that causes a user to first of all consult a manual before figuring out a thing about that system most likely has a very poor design (from engineering & usability perspective) and therefore has serious Usability issues (unless it's a really complex system, or the user is exceptionally dull).

Manuals are simply there for reference purposes, most times when you hit a dead end with your devices or you're trying to use some advanced features.  They're not novels that should be read from kpali to kpali.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:36pm On Sep 30, 2011
wallie,
reading the manual first hand gives you a general idea what to expect from your product.
in some cases i never even unwrap my electronics until after having read the manual
from page to page.

as for your experience with the car, i'd say that was a rather exceptionally poorly designed
car you got there! smiley
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by maclatunji: 4:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
George_D:

wallie,
reading the manual first hand gives you a general idea what to expect from your product.
in some cases i never even unwrap my electronics until after having read the manual
from page to page.

as for your experience with the car, i'd say that was a rather exceptionally poorly designed

Don't mind Wallie; he is just playing the 'Devil's Advocate.' If you don't read your User Manual you lose something, no amount of Wallie's theories and studies can change that- he won't accept that though.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by Wallie(m): 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2011
George_D:

wallie,
from page to page.

With regards to the car, it is just a complex modern German car. Germans don’t do anything simple.

I know that you’re in Nigeria but have you ever test-driven a car that you intend to buy? Do you read the manual before test driving it? Right off the bat, there are few things that are different between Asian and German cars. For example, which direction is the reverse gear? How about the first gear? Of course not, but you do drive it anyway after noting what the obvious differences are.

Maybe I’m just an outlier. I remember as a kid, my parents bought a new Russian washing machine from some guys that imported it. It was a front-loading washing machine but I figured out how it worked even though every single word on the machine or user manual was in Russian and I had never seen a front-loading machine before then.

1. If you have a chronograph watch, did you read the manual before setting the time or did you just pull out the knobs and twisted it to see what moved?
2. Did you read the manual on your phone before inserting a simcard or making a phone call or even storing a number?
3. Did you read a manual before changing a flat tire assuming you knew where the jack points were?
4. Did you read a manual to figure out your remote control that came with your TV or DVD player the first time you got it?
5. How about before using a new iron?
6. Putting fuel in your car?
7. How about checking the oil in your car assuming that you don’t have one of the newer cars without a dipstick?

Certain things are meant to be intuitive and some people are just more cognitive than others. It is not a black or white thing and more of a continuum having different shades of gray. If it looks easy enough to figure out, skip the manual but if it was designed to be used by rocket scientist, by all means, crack open the manual.
Re: did you ever read that User manual ? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:23pm On Sep 30, 2011
wallie,
make it a matter of habit to always read your manuals irrespective of whether the equipment
looks simple or not and you'll have less issues to worry about.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please I Need Urgent Help With My Gionee Marathon M5 Plus, Anyone? / Top 5 Nigerian Apps For Tecno / Android Phones / Five Amazing Things I Love About The New Released Tecno Phantom 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.