Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) (3908 Views)

On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya / Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by visionsen(m): 3:30am On Sep 29, 2011
Nairobi Picture; this picture is from Nairobi Kenya. Their Okada men are facing less patronage than our Lagos Okada riders. Every coin has two sides though.

Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by pendo89(f): 7:45am On Sep 29, 2011
grin grin no biz. pole sana.must be 10 -12 am.less traffic

They are called bodaboda and this is 'downtown Nairobi'. I hope uv been there.There are places in downtown nbo nicknamed dxb,mogadishu etc depending on the type of biz taking place.  Mostly around a place called river road. You find real hustlers there.
The bodabodas are not allowed in the city center at all tht's why u find them in these downtown areas waiting  for pple who are in hurry cz only approved buses enter the city and have designated places to park. besides you queue to get in.Not everybody is patient but with the risks associated with these boda? people avoid them altogether.
You try driving the okada into the city and ul find urself plus okada in cell within 5 min. grin. The council sees them as eyes sores ;
Then you get arrested if u don't have a 2 helmets.I extra for pax who hate sharing public helmets.look at those above.They must hide cz they only have 1 helmet.
not safe as far as traffic cops are concerned.
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
True .like every city. there musty be a bad and a good side and Nairobi is no exception. However Nairobi is a more organised and civilised city than Lagos and the people are more environmet aware(The late Wangari maathai is from here) and we do strive to keep the city tidy and clean. The picture above was probably taken in the eastern ghetto part of Nairobi(the black soil.The upmarket patr of nairobi is in the wet which has red an brown soils) and does not represent the north,west or southern parts of nairobi
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by claremont(m): 9:12pm On Sep 30, 2011
GERALD710:

True .like every city. there musty be a bad and a good side and Nairobi is no exception. [size=13pt]However Nairobi is a more organised and civilised city than Lagos and the people are more environmet aware[/size](The late Wangari maathai is from here) and we do strive to keep the city tidy and clean. The picture above was probably taken in the eastern ghetto part of Nairobi(the black soil.The upmarket patr of nairobi is in the wet which has red an brown soils) and does not represent the north,west or southern parts of nairobi
Do you have any evidence to back up the above-highlighted statement?! The poster has attempted to showcase the "other side" of Nairobi, he did not make any comparison between Nairobi and any other city in Africa.
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by pendo89(f): 11:49pm On Sep 30, 2011
Now wait a sec,I had not seen the soil. grin

Where and when was the photo was taken because river road which is the nbo downtown has nice tarmacked roads.
this kind of soil can only be found at a place called gikomba which is not far from the city.Its the largest second hand clothes market.
You only find soil in 2 places.City parks, or any place with vegetation not roads.
Our council officials behave like hawks in searching for prey. Clamping vehicles parked at wrong places (their fav hobby angry).you are caught spitting,throwing paper on street,sitting on flower vase,getting into bus at wrong stage or public smoking and its an instant fine. Not cheap to deter people. grin
They are so zealous at reinforcing them.But its good cz they tame people and give the workers less work of cleaning.
What if its a rural area far from the city? u know bodas are found in every town for ease of transport.
nway what is a city without a downside.Jburg has one and so does Miami florida.
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by N101: 9:25pm On Oct 01, 2011
pendo89:

Now wait a sec,I had not seen the soil. grin

Where and when was the photo was taken because river road which is the nbo downtown has nice tarmacked roads.
this kind of soil  can only be found at a place called gikomba which is not far from the city.Its the largest second hand clothes market.
You only find soil in 2 places.City parks, or any place with vegetation not roads.
Our council officials behave like hawks in searching for prey. Clamping vehicles parked at wrong places (their fav hobby angry).you are caught spitting,throwing paper on street,sitting on flower vase,getting into bus at wrong stage or  public smoking and its an instant fine. Not cheap to deter people. grin
They are so zealous at reinforcing them.But its good cz they tame people and give the workers less work of cleaning.
What if its a rural area far from the city? u know bodas are found in every town for ease of transport.
nway what is a city without a downside.Jburg has one and so does Miami florida.

I still remember the signs I saw which said "if you urinate here you will be arrested and fined" (loosely translated from Swahilli).  I can't imagine that being a remotely effective deterrent anywhere in Lagos  grin
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by pendo89(f): 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2011
N101:

I still remember the signs I saw which said "if you urinate here you will be arrested and fined" (loosely translated from Swahilli).  I can't imagine that being a remotely effective deterrent anywhere in Lagos  grin

Been there? grin infact they now read. 'URINATE! .They dare u. Before u unzip they are all over you. Those officials are feared more than cops cz they have no mercy. They hate it when people give them extra work.
I love the new public toilets that were constructed so ul never find people doing such in open or back places.
They are well maintained and they provide tissue. But u pay to use.Just a minimal amount if you are a stranger in the city.
Then if you cross the road anywhere other than at the zebra crossing and you are caught?? fine! Of course not everybody is patient but just pray that there's no official near by. And trust me they are all over.
The thing they are notorious for is clamping vehicles when wrongly parked or when you double park. You cant even buy a newspaper before ur car is clamped.
or if you dont have a parking ticket. Parking is damn expensive in Nbo.
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by N101: 10:16am On Oct 02, 2011
pendo89:

Been there? grin infact they now read. 'URINATE! .They dare u. Before u unzip they are all over you. Those officials are feared more than cops cz they have no mercy. They hate it when people give them extra work.
I love the new public toilets that were constructed so ul never find people doing such in open or back places.
They are well maintained and they provide tissue. But u pay to use.Just a minimal amount if you are a stranger in the city.
Then if you cross the road anywhere other than at the zebra crossing and you are caught?? fine! Of course not everybody is patient but just pray that there's no official near by. And trust me they are all over.
The thing they are notorious for is clamping vehicles when wrongly parked or when you double park. You cant even buy a newspaper before your car is clamped.
or if you dont have a parking ticket. Parking is damn expensive in Nbo.

Lol at "urinate".  There are joke signs in Lagos: "No dumping by order, penalty Nxxxx" surrounded by piles of rubbish.  A friend and I started a new passenger sport - counting the number of men peeing in public.  It's dead easy because it's done indiscriminately in all sorts of places.  We excluded children, just anyone 18+.  A woman peeing in public would get bonus points but to date I've only seen one.

By comparison to Lagos, Nairobi is pretty organised.  The traffic madness in Nairobi can't even be compared - at least you still see cyclists on main roads.  Remembered an incident in a matatu where the cyclist wouldn't get out of the driver's way - he actually gave the driver lip.  See the driver stop the vehicle, jump out and attempt to give the guy hot slaps whilst the cyclist was trying to escape pedalling uphill  grin  grin
Re: The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) by pendo89(f): 6:30pm On Oct 02, 2011
^^ lol what a funny scene that was. Cartoon.
How different is lagos from Abuja? Transport,governance,cost of living etc. Is traffic as crazy as lagos?

(1) (Reply)

Bangladesh / Ukba Nigerian Employee Arrested On Insider Ilr Deals For Nigerians In Uk / Emergency Appointment Not Replied To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.