Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,106 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:36 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1573422 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Constantin: 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2007
Nairobi capital of Kenya. It is one of Africa´s most modern cities and it lloks fine! However, it is a pity that it looks more modern than Lagos and Kenya hasn´t got any oil or natural gas!

[img]http://img71.exs.cx/img71/8474/pict0156a7cp.jpg[/img]

old but well-preserved historic momunments from British Rule in Kenya

view from above

street cafés, this could be England

at a mall in Nairobi

more Nairobi Malls

some old British style hotels

London Caps

a highschool in Nairobi

Memorial Library

Luxury shopping mall in Nairobi

Nairobi´s pavements

PROUD Massai people

Panari skycentre AND ICE SKATING RINK

So Kenya has no oil., and look at the results, nigeria has oil and neither Lagos nor Abuja can compete with Nairobi so what the hell is wrong with us? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry cry cry

, TO BE CONTINUED smiley

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Constantin: 2:25pm On May 01, 2007
This is Nairobi´s Central Park

Old British style Resort called "Windsor Resort"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by VOR(m): 2:35pm On May 01, 2007
I have not had the good fortune to visit Nairobi, but my brother has visited twice
and he can attest to the fact that it is a beautiful and civilised city. These pictures
appear to confirm what he has said.

I hope DBLOCK  will take note, that a nice city is not about having lovely tall
buildings it is more than that.

Does anyone notice that most of the pictures of Lagos in this section are of buildings,
hardly any pictures of what life is like on the ground for every Lagosian.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by omoge(f): 1:29pm On May 02, 2007
Very nice pictures.

But I was watching the America Idol give back last week, Bono, Simeon Cowell, Ryan, Randy and the rest went to Africa, Kenya was shown. Oh my goodness  cry!! I couldn't believe what I saw.
Now with the beautiful picture here, my question is why is motherland Africa like this? Some place 100%  beautiful, some other place 100% dirty and not fit for living.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by londoner: 3:14pm On May 02, 2007
Lovely city,
However they have very poor slum areas in Kenya also, Its just like when people go on about South Africa, when they have many slums full of people too. I think we Nigerians need to stop seeing everywhere else through rose tinted glasses, whether Ghana, South Africa, USA, UK, we always think they are so great, but never show the other side, but yet Nigeria is always only bad in our eyes.

19 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by iice(f): 5:35pm On Jun 09, 2007
Ahhhhh lovely!

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by spoilt(f): 3:50am On Jun 14, 2007
nice pics but what about the slums that start a few kilometers from the city? grin

9 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by cuju: 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2007
@ spoilt
Good question!

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by dafman(m): 2:26pm On Jun 14, 2007
Wow! real nice looking, I never knew kenya was this developed. It must be because of all the safari  videos I've seen, because this pics don't look like they're from Kenya at all.

3 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by romeo(m): 12:18am On Jun 18, 2007
kenya has slums too and bad ones
and i am providing a link to more pics http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=kenyan+slums&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by traveler: 4:51pm On Jun 18, 2007
Sir,

Great job! Most of the people have missed the point.  It is not a question of whether or not Kenya has slums.  Every country does!  The issue here is that so many of the first world countries only show the underprivileged side of the nation. Someone has come up to show that there is a gorgeous side of the country divergent to what people think or see in the media . Yes, we have the largest slum in East Africa, but we also have the most beautiful Hilton there.  Give this guy credit!  Thanks for divulging the beautiful site of Kenya! Your pictures are great!  Kudos[flash=200,200][/flash]!

10 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Walsh: 10:17am On Jun 19, 2007
Traveler is right. All cities have slums. Johannesburg has some of the worst i've ever seen but somehow they remain hidden from the media. The slums in Nairobi are child play. The city centre of Jo'burg is also one of the most unsafe and dirty. Lagos is better. You'll be lucky to walk through unmugged if you're misguided enough to go shopping in town. The suburbs however are superb. You would think you're somewhere in N America. And the roads, they're out of this world. Even Europe is no match.

Nairobi is extremely beautiful with a superb weather. I hear they've commissioned the start of construction of several superhighways with eight lanes with the help of the Chinese.  The airport also is being refurbished and expanded to become one of the biggest and most modern in the Southern horizon. If you've been to Nairobi lately, you will notice that litering, spitting and smoking in public is illegal. Throw a sweet wrapping on the ground and you'll end up facing a magistrate.

Without oil and literally no natural mineral resources, Kenya overtook the European Union to become the largest exporter of manufactured goods into the Comesa region. The country has not factored in donor aid in its budget the last three years making it one of the first in Africa to attempt sovereignty from donors and the Bretton Wood institutions. The economy is owned by Kenyans and multinationals like BP are leaving because they cannot compete with local petrol distributors. Nandos, Steers and all those international chains of restaurants have been literally routed out of Nairobi and other cities by indigenous restaurants that sell quality locally sourced cuisines at half the price. SAfrican Supreme Furnitures and Barnette could not compete with local artisans and left the country. Others like Shoprite, Game and Pick and Pay have been unable to penetrate the Kenyan dominated supermarket sector. SAB tried to enter the East African market in a big way with Castle Lager only to be outdone by Kenya-based and indigenous East African Breweries and had to bow out. Nairobi Stock Exchange is literally owned by ordinary Kenyans, who line up everyday to buy shares. Kenya airways is among the 5 most profitable airlines in the world. When the airline was privatized a few years ago more than 70% shares went to Kenyans. Only 29% was sold to KLM - a strategic partnership that really paid off.

What is happening to Nigeria ohh? Right, left, centre in Lagos is South African products and companies. Even our oil is not ours ! O lordie! God help us.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 130L: 3:20am On Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for sharing these pics. I recognized many places on the pictures.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 130L: 3:32am On Jun 21, 2007
It's like going to Westside in Las Vegas and you would think you're in a different city.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ndipe(m): 8:54am On Jun 21, 2007
Beautiful city.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ogza: 9:42am On Jun 21, 2007
Hi, what camera was used to take these pics? I am looking to buy a quality camera like the one that took these pics!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Zawadi: 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2007
I couldn't agree with traveller more! Most people HAVE missed the point. It's not about showing only the nice part of Nairobi City where I have grown up and incidentally spent all my years to date. It is very sad to see that the only pictures shown in the international circles are those of a pathetic dismal habitation to the point that people living abroad are literlly afraid to come any where near Africa! Yes, we do have slums and no one disputes that but we have seen enough of slums; after all that has been the favourite topic of all photographers! There is a nicer cleaner part of Nairobi that must be shown side to side with the slums. These are not even the very best of Nairobi, there is more. Then there is the countryside, dry lands, wet lands. It is a rich country and I can attest to that being Kenyan. And Ogza, I have to admit that I too was impressed by that camera! Or is it because the pictures were taken by someone who really appreciated the country thus reflecting the emotions?

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by dblock(m): 7:48am On Jun 22, 2007
VOR:

I have not had the good fortune to visit Nairobi, but my brother has visited twice
and he can attest to the fact that it is a beautiful and civilised city. These pictures
appear to confirm what he has said.

I hope DBLOCK will take note, that a nice city is not about having lovely tall
buildings it is more than that.

Does anyone notice that most of the pictures of Lagos in this section are of buildings,
hardly any pictures of what life is like on the ground for every Lagosian.

For Crying out loud VOR, the thread is titled Lagos Skyline. Start a New thread called Lagos Photos (Nigeria) A bustling West African City) and I'll kindly post the slums you love.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by bonanza: 11:13am On Jun 22, 2007
Someone forgot to mention that Kenya has a target of better cities with people leading better lives. Vision 2030.
Below is the new vision:

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 4:49pm On Jun 22, 2007
Kenya get nice view oh

Nice pics
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by bluesky4(f): 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2007
Thse are really nice pictures.
U say that Kenya doesnt have oil or natural gas, though this is true, they do have tourism for their nature parks. This is earning them theyre big money.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 7:45am On Jun 25, 2007
Well good for dem
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by champredd(m): 9:51pm On Jun 26, 2007
Lagos no fit compete with Nairobi, because:
1. Lagos is overpopulated

2.OBJ send away all the whitemen in Naija b4 1979. Wherever they are they maintain their environment, unlike totally black areas, e.g Black neighbourhoods in US (compare).

Abuja is likely to compete in the future, provided our Naija people no go pollute am like Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by darkcherry: 1:26am On Jun 27, 2007
No one said Kenya does not have slums, come on. every big city will have slums but these pictures just show that we also have nice good looking cities in african.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Kenyanbabe(f): 10:15am On Jun 27, 2007
grin grin grin BONANZA, thats some funny shit u got, i was ROFLMFFAO wen i opened the 2030 Vision, OMG hehehe
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2007
Love Africa
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by chikatim: 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2007
Nairobi is the city to be and enjoy the living.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by kellorah: 1:38am On Jul 02, 2007
Wow!! never knew Kenya was this good looking. shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 3:40am On Jul 02, 2007
Am so suprised oh.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by GNature(m): 4:37am On Jul 02, 2007
The first time I saw how beautiful Nairobi was was when I was viewing some satellite pictures on google earth. It was really breath taking. We really have a lot to learn from the Kenyans (and Ghanaians) on maintaining infrastructure.

2 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by drkchoclit(f): 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2007
Sign me up for my plane ticket right now!

It made my heart leap for joy to see such a beautiful African city. When I first saw it, I thought it looked Euro. Then I read it used to be under British rule, and a lot of whites still live there as the pictures show.

But, It also melted my heart to see a land where are skyscrapers of buildings, black owned and or operated corporations. On the billboards were blacks. As anyone in the US can tell you, blacks might be present in the media and advertising, but we are very much still the minority. I can't imagine living somewhere where everything is by and for people of my skin color. I can't imagine living in a country with a black majority.

Thank you for sharing pics like this. It's true that western media has most people, especially Americans, and PARTICULARLY African American scared to death of Africa. Africa is portrayed like some wasteland with lions ready to eat you for snack. Or some war-torn wasteland where everyone is either starving, or dying of AIDS or exotic diseases.

I don't believe I'm of Kenyan descent, but just the same it made me so excited to see these pics. Thanks from the bottom of my heart grin

4 Likes

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 6:19am On Jul 06, 2007
Never thot Nairobi gat any fine scrappers.

Good to know.I am hiighly impressed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.