Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,113 members, 7,838,820 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? (404 Views)

Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere / I Will Pay Above 30,000 Minimum Wage If Elected-sanwo-olu / Minimum Wage: If ₦30,000 Is Approved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by Blue3k(m): 10:27pm On Jun 04, 2023
Let's do a thought experiment about how the federal government should handle the minimum wage. What do you believe is the most reasonable thing to do if your goal is to make your constituency happy and retain power.

1. The miminum wage is in the exclusive act, so does that prevent states from raising wages above the federal minimum wage?

2. If the federal government just needs decides to raise the minimum wage what is the bare minimum wage they'd need to set? (Remember the cost of living varies by state)

3. Has anyone noticed states aren't sanctioned for not paying minimum wage after laws are enacted?

4. What's the point of a rule if it's not enforced?

5. If the Federal Government does state enforcing the laws strictly would that force state to fire workers or raise taxes?

Ps: Remember can doesn't mean ought or should.

1 Share

Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by Blue3k(m): 10:39pm On Jun 04, 2023
Since states can raise the minimum wage on their own the federal government should do nothing. If they did decide to raise the minimum wage to keep up with inflation again. They would probably move it 15%-20%. It's funny governors like Soludo think a 30k miminum wage is too small but fiscal realities won't let a wealthier state Anambra raise it. This tell me if the federal government ever enforced the law like NLC wanted these workers would get no bread instead of the half bread they currently get.

1 Like

Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by Mattswaggz: 12:20am On Jun 05, 2023
Most of this laws/decrees made by Nigerian government are just word/written letters,,, no power backing them whatsoever that's why the court will say A and the government will do B,, the Constitution will say A and the government will do B,, the president will A and others will do B etc...... very directionless country. embarassed
Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by Standing5(m): 2:55am On Jun 05, 2023
In a sharing based system as ours, increase is strictly by what is shared to you and that has been dwindling over the past few months. Just Check the FAAC.

1 Like

Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by Blue3k(m): 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2023
Mattswaggz:
Most of this laws/decrees made by Nigerian government are just word/written letters,,, no power backing them whatsoever that's why the court will say A and the government will do B,, the Constitution will say A and the government will do B,, the president will A and others will do B etc...... very directionless country. embarassed

I agree the rules should be enforced if you're going to bother having them. I assume they don't enforce miminum wage strictly because it mostly affects unskilled workers, lower seniority union employees, and young people getting their first job. The state government could raise taxes to pay for increased cost instead of cutting. The private sector can't force cash out peoples hands.

Standing5:
In a sharing based system as ours, increase is strictly by what is shared to you and that has been dwindling over the past few months. Just Check the FAAC.

Where does IGR revenue and cutting staff fall into the equation? You would think NLC and the unions would discuss this at meeting with federal and state governments. It never comes up in their public statements if they do discuss FAAC.
Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by grandstar(m): 11:24pm On Jun 05, 2023
States can raise their minimum wages. Lagos states minimum wage is 36k.

Yes, the minimum wage of N30K is grossly inadequate but so is the revenue of government.

As for the private sector, even though they too should fall under the minimum wage, can't afford to even pay the present minimum wage, how much more an increased one.

In my home state of Ondo, I'm sure at least 80% of those working in the private sector would lose their job were it enforced.

Two things are really needed now to improve the lot of workers: fast economic growth in order to speed up income growth for workers in the private sector and a rapid increase in tax as a percentage of GDP so that governments can pay its workers better.

1 Like

Re: Can The States Raise Minimum Wage If The Federal Government Isn't Willing? by grandstar(m): 2:33am On Jun 06, 2023
Blue3k:

I agree the rules should be enforced if you're going to bother having them. I assume they don't enforce miminum wage strictly because it mostly affects unskilled workers, lower seniority union employees, and young people getting their first job. The state government could raise taxes to pay for increased cost instead of cutting. The private sector can't force cash out peoples hands.

Where does IGR revenue and cutting staff fall into the equation? You would think NLC and the unions would discuss this at meeting with federal and state governments. It never comes up in their public statements if they do discuss FAAC.

I think the minimum wage is only applicable to companies with 20 or more workers.

(1) (Reply)

CHIKA NWOBA Lists The Names Of Cultists Appointed By Gov. Nwifuru / Presidential Tribuna: Residents And Obi Lawyers Are In Big Trouble Over / Should Wike Be Rewarded As A Minister?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.