Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,234 members, 7,849,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:47 AM

How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance (3644 Views)

This Picture Will Change Your Perception About Love / How TEMPERAMENT Affects Relationships. / The Most Overrated African Women In Terms Of Beauty? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 11:48am On Sep 30, 2011
Do you know how western perfection of beauty affects African romance?

Let me address this issue in detailed analysis of the crisis of the physical attraction of the human species.

How Western Perception of Beauty Affects African Romance

Physical attraction in human romance is mostly based on physical beauty.
How we look either attracts or puts off others.

The natural attraction and selection of the opposite sex begins at puberty when we become conscious of the individuality and sexuality of our personality. We begin to attract or solicit attention for relationship and companionship.

Our choices are often based on physical attraction normally determined by our perception of beauty and humans fall into two opposite categories of those we see as beautiful or handsome and those we see as ugly, which in biology does not depend on us, but on nature, since no human has any choice on how, when and where to be born or who should give birth to it. So, we are either born pretty or ugly without our knowledge or consent. And we end up in a world that has already decided to appreciate and favour those who were lucky to be born pretty and to discriminate and make jest of those we were unlucky to be born ugly and would need make up, make over or plastic surgery to correct whatever makes them “ugly”.
I believe that the human perception of human beauty has been determined by how humans look different from other creatures in the animal kingdom. So, any human who unfortunately has similar facial features with an ape, monkey or dog is seen as ugly and that is why the first sight of blacks by whites affected their perception of Africans who they see as looking as similar as monkeys and apes, because of their bolder facial features of broad noses with flared nostrils and dark skin. They did not waste time in addressing blacks in the derogatory terms of “black monkeys” or “apes” and called them ugly until they saw blacks who had facial features similar to their own white Caucasian features of aquiline noses and narrow lips and with fair skin. Therefore over the centuries of western invasion, occupation, domination and imposition of their civilization in Africa, they have made their own Caucasian perception of human beauty the standard world view of beauty which they have drawn, written, photographed and recorded in print and electronic media of modern education for general information in their own nations and the colonies. They have miseducated and misinformed their black colonial subjects and victims to accept this erroneous and ambiguous perception of beauty and made the blacks to use it to define and judge themselves. So, the closer a black person looks like a white person, he or she is seen as beautiful or handsome, but the farther the looks are in contrast to Caucasian features, the black person is seen as ugly!

The current perception of African beauty has been influenced and defined by Western Caucasian views as we have been seeing in the selection of the majority of the winners of African beauty pageants.

Majority of the winners of black beauty pageants have been those who have Caucasian features like aquiline noses and lips with flowing long hair or braids and this Western perception of beauty is been promoted by both the Western and African media as the epitome of beauty.
We have seen majority of black girls and women who prefer to look like the page three models in American, European and Asian tabloids and those parading on the red carpet in Hollywood or at beauty pageants. Weave on is now a must have by most black girls in Africa and in the Diaspora and they also do skin wash, bleach or tone their dark skin in their attempts to look as fair as mulattos or white women.

To be obese is now ugly to an African girl! But not so to African mothers who still insist that a typical African beauty must look plumb, well fed and not looking like someone on hunger strike! No native African mother would watch and bear her daughter suffer from the Anorexia Nervosa (AN) afflicting many girls in the western world who are obsessed with looking like the malnourished models on the runways of Paris and Milan.
The original physiognomy of natural African or black beauty, a woman should be plump with round buttocks and not lean or thin like the models of Western haute couture. That is why we have fattening room beauty tradition in South Eastern Nigeria as studied by Ann Simmons in Where Fat Is a Mark of Beauty on http://www.anthroprof.org/documents/Docs102/102articles/fat26.pdf and the following features:

The news media in both the print and electronic channels seem to be the amplifiers of Western Fashion Products and services who are making billions of dollars from selling beauty products based on Caucasian standards of beauty.

• A beautiful woman should be fair.
• A beautiful woman should be tall and thin
• A beautiful woman should have long wavy hair.

The hair weave business in Africa is flourishing, because every African girl wants to have long wavy hair like the white girl they see in newspapers, magazines, on TV and on the internet, etc.

Look at every copy of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit calendars and there is little or no difference between the white models and the black models. The only distinction is the dark skin of the black models, but they are the same with the white ones in physiognomy and anatomy.
Africans have accepted the Caucasian definition of beauty and use it in their choices of friends, lovers and spouses. The closer a black girl looks like a white girl, the more attractive she is to the black guys and in fact, they go gaga over how heavenly she looks and compose love poems and songs in eulogies of the aesthetics of her beauty. We see the examples of this perception in majority of the music videos of African singers and musicians showing African or black girls and women looking like white girls. This African admission and submission to the Caucasian definition of beauty has made Africans to feel and look inferior in comparison to white people and only increases the ego of white superiority complex in their relationship with blacks.
Most black guys want their black girlfriends or wives to look like the white beauties.

~ By Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima,

PS: The original article illustrated with explicit adult photographs can be seen on the African Beauty blog of Orikinla Osinachi.

Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Mikael4(m): 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2011
[size=14pt]Can you summarize pls. . . . SIR? Thank you in advance! smiley[/size]
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by SAFO(m): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2011
^^^ lol, good article Orikinla. wink
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Nayah(f): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
Hi Orinkla, hope you're ok today smiley
I think our sisters have to impose themselves and be confident, strong enough not following this westerner considerations which are NOT an absolute truth! A Black woman could be very beautiful and charming if she's shubby and have nose flat for example, that's why I'm still striked and amazed reading some threads about features, and the way a "beautiful African" has to look

This Rihanna and Beyonce things are not helping our sisters also because for some reasons people think being light skin or whatever is the way African woman has to do, these woman can't not be taken to be identified, sorry African females should have more confident, and following their values we have been given through centuries, it's about imposing his culture and its views not followinfg
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by iice(f): 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
Goodluck. Na human beings we dey talk about.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by MrsChima1(f): 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
If Africans women are trying to imitate white chicks by wearing weaves then who are white chicks imitating wearing wigs and extensions?    undecided

Black women can have long and beautiful hair if they leave those harsh chemicals alone and focus on healthy alternative hair care.  For example, Oprah Winfrey's hair is long, thick, and healthy because she know how to take care of her hair and without loads of cash your hair will look just like her. 

I don't gerrit about the bleaching cream and plastic surgeries that on them.  They will have to deal with the consequences.  If you feel beautiful and confident then you wouldn't need to resort into plastic surgeries.   Do you. 

Call me whatever you feel but when I see people with bleeped up plastic surgeries I think that's funny and will laugh in your face.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Mikael4(m): 3:12pm On Sep 30, 2011
If Africans women are trying to imitate white chicks by wearing weaves then who are white chicks imitating wearing wigs and extensions?

[size=14pt]Very Lucid Question![/size] cool
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 4:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

If Africans women are trying to imitate white chicks by wearing weaves then who are white chicks imitating wearing wigs and extensions? undecided

Black women can have long and beautiful hair if they leave those harsh chemicals alone and focus on healthy alternative hair care. For example, Oprah Winfrey's hair is long, thick, and healthy because she know how to take care of her hair and without loads of cash your hair will look just like her.

I don't gerrit about the bleaching cream and plastic surgeries that on them. They will have to deal with the consequences. If you feel beautiful and confident then you wouldn't need to resort into plastic surgeries. Do you.

Call me whatever you feel but when I see people with bleeped up plastic surgeries I think that's funny and will laugh in your face.

Good points.

There is nothing wrong in black beauties having long hair as we do in braids, but when it is done in the imitation of White babes, then it shows lack of confidence in the natural black beauty.

Some of the illustrations in this feature are for mature adults only and can only be permitted on http://africanbeauty..com

Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by MrsChima1(f): 5:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
Braids and Weave are two different things. You do not need synthetic fibers when braiding hair but some women use it to give their braids depth and length.

Weave or human hair extensions (depending on the type of hair) are usually from dead people and Indians (India). There are different reasons why women wear weave and extensions.

Hair loss condition
Styling purposes
Inferior complexity

Black women who take care of their hair using healthy products have long and beautiful hair. The women I know are into healthy hair care regime and all of them have healthy long hair.

Even white women have hair issues hence extensions and hair repair treatments.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 6:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Braids and Weave are two different things. You do not need synthetic fibers when braiding hair but some women use it to give their braids depth and length.

Weave or human hair extensions (depending on the type of hair) are usually from dead people and Indians (India). There are different reasons why women wear weave and extensions.

Hair loss condition
Styling purposes
Inferior complexity

Black women who take care of their hair using healthy products have long and beautiful hair. The women I know are into healthy hair care regime and all of them have healthy long hair.

Even white women have hair issues hence extensions and hair repair treatments.

Inferior complexity is the problem of majority of them.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 8:00pm On Oct 02, 2011
iice:

Goodluck. Na human beings we dey talk about.

You did not address the content of the topic.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by iice(f): 2:25pm On Oct 03, 2011
Which is?
That the mind is malleable?
Or that humans are kinda like drones. . . programmed.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 2:34pm On Oct 03, 2011
iice:

Which is?
That the mind is malleable?
Or that humans are kinda like drones. . . programmed.

Alright.

The article is as addressed on how African beauty in African romance is being defined by western education and perception. And why Africans should not accept western dictation of beauty and romance, because we are different physically and culturally.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by iice(f): 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2011
Am i to write an epistle
What i said, covered it already.
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by MrsChima1(f): 3:27pm On Oct 03, 2011
iice:

Am i to write an epistle

He is used to book long responses. lipsrsealed

You were concise and to the point. wink
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by mukina2: 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
okrika yikes cheesy
Re: How Western Perception Of Beauty Affects African Romance by Orikinla(m): 12:30pm On Oct 04, 2011
iice:

Am i to write an epistle

Alright.

(1) (Reply)

Your Mobile Phone Nudes Can Be For Your Eyes Only - Girls Only!!!! / Its Always Painful / Nairaland's Most Beautiful Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.