Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:17 AM

National Anthem For 1st October - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Anthem For 1st October (12228 Views)

Place Your Bet. . No Ministerial Announcement On 1st October By Buhari / See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / Imo Egbema Power Plant , Set For 1st Fire Commissioning & Commercial Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Anthem For 1st October by engrj(m): 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2011
smiley

Re: National Anthem For 1st October by nke001: 9:09pm On Oct 01, 2011
9ja! Holla @ me when you achieve your vision 20 2020 sad
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by amurx(m): 9:30pm On Oct 01, 2011
omo naija aya mio ja
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by wahidi: 10:25pm On Oct 01, 2011
if u dont know what to say abt sharia pls keep ur mouth mute!!
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by Gbenge77(m): 11:20pm On Oct 01, 2011
Kolababa:

I pledge to USA my country
To be faithful loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria is not by force
T o defend her unity is not my business
So help me get visa lottery.
Amen
lol.
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by Nobody: 12:18am On Oct 02, 2011
LOL
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by 2nex(m): 2:16am On Oct 02, 2011
hmmmmm!interesting
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by nebeolis: 3:13am On Oct 02, 2011
By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press – Sat Oct 1, 1:25 pm ET
WASHINGTON – After years of trying, Congress is taking another stab at retaliating against what many see as Chinese manipulation of its currency to make its exports to the United States cheaper and U.S. goods more expensive in China.
The Senate is expected to take up legislation Monday that would impose higher U.S. duties on Chinese products to offset the perceived advantage that critics say China gets by undervaluing its currency.
It's a political given here that China's economic policy has damaged American manufacturers and taken away American jobs.
Beijing denies that its exchange rate is responsible for the huge trade deficit that the United States has with China, and it's not clear that U.S. lawmakers have the political will to follow through.
The Senate bill has bipartisan support and is expected to clear a procedural hurdle Monday evening. But intense lobbying against it by American-based multinational corporations and their trade associations could spell trouble for the legislation.
In addition, the Obama administration, like the Bush administration before it, doesn't like the bill, saying quiet diplomacy is a better way to influence Chinese policy and warning that overt penalties could lead to a destructive trade fight.
Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., along with others, have tried for at least six years to pass legislation making it easier to impose higher tariffs on Chinese goods. That would help compensate for what they say is Beijing's effort to keep its currency, the yuan, undervalued against the dollar.
Under U.S. pressure, China did take steps last year that allowed for some flexibility in the exchange rate. But the yuan has risen only a few percentage points since then, and economists say it is still undervalued against the dollar by as much as 40 percent.
Schumer and others say that's a major reason that some 2 million U.S. jobs have been lost to Chinese competitors in the past decade and that the U.S. trade deficit with China last year hit a record $273 billion, accounting for 43 percent of the entire U.S. trade gap.
"They get away with economic murder and thus far our country has just said, `Oh, we don't care,'" Schumer said. "This legislation will send a huge shot across China's bow."
Among Republicans, presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has said he would penalize China for keeping its currency artificially low.
The Senate bill, which does not specifically mention China, has two main components:
_Up to now, the Treasury Department has had to declare that a country was willfully manipulating its currency to trigger a response, which is something the Bush and Obama administrations have avoided doing. The legislation would require Treasury to determine only that another country's currency is misaligned, then give its government 90 days to make corrections before countervailing duties are imposed.
_The bill makes it easier for specific industries to petition the Commerce Department for redress under claims that the misaligned currency of China or another country amounts to an export subsidy. That more narrowly focused provision passed the House last September on a 348-79 vote. The last Congress, however, ended before the Senate could take it up.
Supporters point to studies by the Peterson Institute for International Economics that say a 20 percent appreciation of the yuan would reduce the U.S. trade deficit by up to $120 billion and create a half-million U.S. jobs. The more liberal Economic Policy Institute estimates that a 28.5 percent appreciation would create more than 2 million jobs.
Opponents of the bill, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable, whose members do business overseas, paint a different picture.
A letter to Senate leaders from more than 50 such groups warned that unilateral action against China would likely result in retaliation against U.S. exports to China, possibly violate World Trade Organization rules and do little to create U.S. jobs because other low-cost manufacturing countries would take up the slack if Chinese goods became more expensive.
There's also concern that a trade war with China would remove incentives for China to improve its record on intellectual property rights or cooperate in easing tensions with North Korea. The conservative Club for Growth, which holds sway among many Republicans, opposes the Senate bill, saying it would raise prices for American consumers.
China denies that the exchange rate is the cause of the huge trade imbalance, saying that the United States could help itself by lifting a ban on sales of high technology goods.
White House press secretary Jay Carney would only say that the administration is reviewing the Senate bill. If the measure does make it through the Senate, it faces an uncertain future in the House

Read more:http://www.gbooza.com/page.html#ixzz456 http://www.gbooza.com/group/insideasia/forum/topics/congress-addresses-chinese-currency-manipulation#ixzz1ZaPFpbuH
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by jomakris: 5:47am On Oct 02, 2011
Happy Independence Celebration to all Nigerians.
Find out how you can get your dream from multinational oil companies in Nigeria and Abroad.
Click the link for more details. www.dreamjob51..com
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by FriendMark(m): 12:35am On Oct 03, 2011
Show patriotism to your Nigeria by joining this event. Read more here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-772403.0.html#msg9253735 or join IMMEDIATELY! http:///BeAPartOfHistory

Re: National Anthem For 1st October by Ndexondeck: 10:39am On Oct 03, 2011
DONT BLAME THE WRITER AND DONT BLAME THE COUNTRY BLAME THE WORLD. HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHERE THIS WORLD IS HEADED FOR?

DISTRUCTION I TELL YOU, UNLESS YOU GIVE YOUR LIFE TO CHRIST JESUS YOU ALSO WILL GET DESTROYED.
[size=15pt]
DO YOU WANT TO GET DESTROYED?[/size]
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by prince4lif: 10:20am On Oct 04, 2011
I woke up on the morning of October 1st and reflected on the blessings of Nigerian and why we still suffer this much, we are said to be a great nation, yes we are, our greatness is in us all as a people and the blessings God has bestowed upon our dear nation, but it's unfortunate that the SONS OF PERDITION among us who have re-branded themselves as politicians, came to rule us with the vision of their father the devil, they are thieves just as the bible has said, the thief only come to steal, kill and destroy, but I know by the grace of God it won't be long before the creator of heaven and earth brings judgement on them, the blood and souls of all innocent Nigerians who dies due to neglect or inadequate facilities or because of poverty will definitely hunt them. I am proud to say that Nigerians are naturally hard working and intelligent and this is why we have been able to survive in the hands of our greedy leaders, if we were like the Libyans who wait on the government on everything and don't work but yet receive a social security of about $400 per family every month then we would have resulted into brutal war. Politicians in government are committing more crimes than ordinary citizens. Frustration and poverty has forced so many Nigerians out of their homes and we have a government who doesn't care, I live in Ghana and I can see the difference is clear, I have lived in Europe I see how people are being treated especially when in need and and in times of emergency, this bloody politicians travel abroad everyday and see the difference but can't tell why they will never implement policies that will change the lives of their people, they spend our money as if it's their inheritance, MAY GOD PUNISH EVERY SELF CENTERED AND FRAUDULENT POLITICIAN, their generation will suffer for all the harm they caused our great country and above all they will use all the money they stole from us to treat incurable diseases, CANCER AND STROKE shall be their portion. Even the bible says "Righteousness exalts a nation and sins a reproach to every nation". Oh God of heaven avenge our course and deliver us from blood sucking and greedy politicians, Let the words of the national anthem and oat they swore on assumption of office hunt them and their family. Amen!!!

GOD YOU HAVE ALREADY BLESS NIGERIA, MY PRAYER IS THAT YOU NOW DELIVER NIGERIA!

I BELIEVE IN NIGERIA AND HAVE NEVER WISHED AM FROM ANYWHERE ELSE.
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by GENDELTA(m): 11:54am On Oct 04, 2011
Nigeria report card after 51yrs.
HEALTH=E8
POVERTY=A1
EDUCATION=C6
SECURITY=F9
TRANSPORTATION=D7
SOCIAL AMENITIES=D7
POWER=F9
CORRUPTION=A1
ELECTION RIGGING=A1
HUMAN RIGHT=D7
JUDICIARY=D7
MORTALITY=E8
UNEMPLOYMENT=D7
PROSTITUTION=B3
MILITANCY=B2
KIDNAPPING=B2.
PRAYER 4 NAIJA
Re: National Anthem For 1st October by Gbenge77(m): 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
lol@topic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

300 Nigerians Deported From Botswana / MASSOB Demonstration: 10 Killed, 5 Injured, 4 Arrested / Thugs Hijack Electoral Materials In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.