Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,460 members, 7,850,607 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:42 AM

Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine (1398 Views)

Advice Needed About Toyota Corolla 1999 A.k.a Small But Mighty. / Solution To Oil Shortage And Smoking Engines / Opinions Needed About Car Tracking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by SmokingEngine: 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2023
I guess I'm not really lucky with cars. I always run into problem with cars.

My car was working fine until one day my mechanic spoiled my car for me.

It all started one Sunday when my 2006 honda accord start missing firing. The misfiring cause some vibration and I managed it like that that Sunday until it started making a kind of noise when you start the car from a cold start.

I took the car to my mechanic who only start his guess work. From one suggestion to another, no result until he said the noise is from the Valve.

My engine has never been open before so I never wanted to open it at all until I finally agreed to do it. He told me opening the top engine is not the engine itself but I already knows that once an engine is open the life always never remain the same.

He opened the engine and said he will grind the valve. Also he said he will replace about 8 value. Total money I spent was 70k.

After he finished the car started smoking heavily. It was an heart attack to me.

They said it was because they newly work on it. That I should first use it for some time that the smoke will clear.

I burnt full tank driving the car in town yet the smoke didn't stop.

I take it so several people some said the smoke is white so it doesn't look like a rings . Others said it's rings some said my mechanic opened the engine want it still hot.

As last result i was advised to change oil and take the car to express and march it. I did just that and took the car to express road. I use speed to tear the engine to see if it will stop the smoking. During the aggressive speed the car overheated severally before the engine knocked.

I had to tow the car and took it to another mechanic someone directed me to. The plan was to buy another engine but many people advised me to work the engine. I should first check the old engine to see if it's just ring and mental. So I agreed.

When they opened the engine. It was the mental that cause it to knock. But the problem was that it affected the crankshaft. When I saw that it affected the crankshaft I make enquiry for the crankshaft price to make my calculations but many people said I should buy new engine if crankshaft is involved. Some people also warn me to repair my engine starting that toks engine are mostly sarvage engine. And majority of them are not even direct toks but engine that they work. Because I got people that was readily available to buy my old engine.

But I have heard many stories from engine ringing how it never last beyond 6 months. So I counted my lose and sell my old Engine...

I run around to find money. I wanted to buy my engine in my start of residence because I was afraid buying from Lagos if anything should happened it will be easy to go about it here than Lagos. But my mechanic said Lagos is where I will get better one and cheaper price. The price wasn't really cheap if you factor in the transport. But I just had to go with him.

I gave him the money he contacted the person he knows from Lagos. The man also called me. I told the man to give me a good engine he said it's confirmed engine.

When they brought the engine. I saw sluge inside the engine. I was really disappointed. I was contacting the man from WhatsApp he will read my message but not reply. I called him and called him he will not pick the call.

People and my mechanic told me it's but sluge that some engine come like that and they work fine.

What can I do at that moment when I already spend over 30k to transport the engine. So I allow them to put it first. I told them I will not buy new oil. Because that my old oil I bought it that same day that my engine knocked. And because of the sluge inside the engine they should put the old oil.

The engine runs well and very silent. If you stand next to it you won't even know the engine is on. My old engine was silent too but this one is more silent.

The exhaust was throwaway smoke. But they told me to drive it that the smoke will clear. it was because of my old engine that smoke. We noticed another problem as there small oil on radiator water.

The smoke refuse to go. And engine short oil. There is oil on The bottom plate. Mechanic has trace the oil from the Valve seal between the flywheel.

The problem are
1, top gasket
2, oil seal.
This ones are minor problem but the engine will need to come down to solved the oil leaking, and the top engine will need to be open to solve the gasket issue.

The biggest problem is the smoking. The engine man is saying that I should change the gasket and still drive the motor for a while, that the smoke will stop and everything will be okay.

Even my mechanic is saying if you buy a smoking engine. The highest the seller will do is to change the rings. He said it's used engine and not new engine.

What do you suggest I do. Thanks
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by vivalavida(m): 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
SmokingEngine:
I guess I'm not really lucky with cars. I always run into problem with cars.

My car was working fine until one day my mechanic spoiled my car for me.

It all started one Sunday when my 2006 honda accord start missing firing. The misfiring cause some vibration and I managed it like that that Sunday until it started making a kind of noise when you start the car from a cold start.

I took the car to my mechanic who only start his guess work. From one suggestion to another, no result until he said the noise is from the Valve.

My engine has never been open before so I never wanted to open it all until I finally agreed. He told me opening the top engine is not the engine itself but I already knows that once an engine is open the life always never remain the same.

He opened the engine and said he will grind the valve. Also he said he will replace about 8 value. Total money I spent was 70k.

After he finished the car started smoking heavily. It was an heart attack to me.

They said it was because they newly work on it. That I should first use it for some time that the smoke will clear.

I burnt full tank driving the car in town yet the smoke didn't stop.

I take it so several people some said the smoke is white so it doesn't look like a rings . Others said it's rings some said my mechanic opened the engine want it still hot.

As last result i was advised to change oil and take the car to express and march it. I did just that and took the car to express road. I use speed to tear the engine to see if it will stop the smoking. During the aggressive speed the car overheated severally before the engine knocked.

I had to tow the car and took it to another mechanic someone directed me to. The plan was to buy another engine but many people advised me to work the engine. I should first check the old engine to see if it's just ring and mental. So I agreed.

When they opened the engine. It was the mental that cause it to knock. But the problem was that it affected the crankshaft. When I saw that it affected the crankshaft I make enquiry for the crankshaft price to make my calculations but many people said I should buy new engine if crankshaft is involved. Some people also warn me to repair my engine starting that toks engine are mostly sarvage engine. And majority of them are not even direct toks but engine that they work. Because I got people that was readily available to buy my old engine.

But I have heard many stories from engine ringing how it never last beyond 6 months. So I counted my lose and sell my old Engine...

I run around to find money. I wanted to buy my engine in my start of residence because I was afraid buying from Lagos if anything should happened it will be easy to go about it here than Lagos. But my mechanic said Lagos is where I will get better one and cheaper price. The price wasn't really cheap if you factor in the transport. But I just had to go with him.

I gave him the money he contacted the person he knows from Lagos. The man also called me. I told the man to give me a good engine he said it's confirmed engine.

When they brought the engine. I saw sluge inside the engine. I was really disappointed. I was contacting the man from WhatsApp he will read my message but not reply. I called him and called him he will not pick the call.

People and my mechanic told me it's but sluge that some engine come like that and they work fine.

What can I do at that moment when I already spend over 30k to transport the engine. So I allow them to put it first. I told them I will not buy new oil. Because that my old oil I bought it that same day that my engine knocked. And because of the sluge inside the engine they should put the old oil.

The engine runs well and very silent. If you stand next to it you won't even know the engine is on. My old engine was silent too but this one is more silent.

The exhaust was throwaway smoke. But they told me to drive it that the smoke will clear. it was because of my old engine that smoke. We noticed another problem as there small oil on radiator water.

The smoke refuse to go. And engine short oil. There is oil on The bottom plate. Mechanic has trace the oil from the Valve seal between the flywheel.

The problem are
1, top gasket
2, oil seal.
This ones are minor problem but the engine will need to come down to solved the oil leaking, and the top engine will need to be open to solve the gasket issue.

The biggest problem is the smoking. The engine man is saying that I should change the gasket and still drive the motor for a while, that the smoke will stop and everything will be okay.

Even my mechanic is saying if you buy a smoking engine. The highest the seller will do is to change the rings. He said it's used engine and not new engine.

What do you suggest I do. Thanks

Is this @AutoManual?

4 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Wisdom2003: 12:57pm On Jun 12, 2023
vivalavida:

Is this @AutoManual?

πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈ
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by 9icetoo(m): 1:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
vivalavida:

Is this @AutoManual?

Co ask.

2 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by visaclick: 1:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
thats whatbu get when u use a honda. Ignores those good talks about hondas it’s all politics. My friends evil spirit nearly sent him back to his village till he scraped and sold it but on the other side i will still see ppl praising hondas but why are they so few of them on the road. Even that eod no one will buy it above 1.2m but a big daddy goes for 2.2m at least.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by boldx(m): 1:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
The mechanic opened your engine while it is still hot. You must have a little bit more than basic knowledge of cars or you pay dearly for it. There is no short cut.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by boldx(m): 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
For the second engine, you should have contacted someone like Gazzuzz in Lagos. Your two different mechanics have built a mansion from your pocket. You are back to square 1 as it is.

2 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Antibettings: 1:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
visaclick:
thats whatbu get when u use a honda. Ignores those good talks about hondas it’s all politics. My friends evil spirit nearly sent him back to his village till he scraped and sold it but on the other side i will still see ppl praising hondas but why are they so few of them on the road. Even that eod no one will buy it above 1.2m but a big daddy goes for 2.2m at least.

I bought one eod from nairaland here too
That car almost sent me to heaven... I sold it the amount I bought it 5 months after

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Pisol(m): 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hmmmm my broda no be only u Waka cm

I am expressing similar issue ooo. Am just trusting God cos it can be frustrating..
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Pisol(m): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hmmmm my broda no be only u Waka cm

I am expressing similar issue ooo. Am just trusting God cos it can be frustrating.. mechanic will tell you this and that and at the end, nothing to show for it. M tirefully tired my brother..

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Angrygoat: 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2023
I've told u automanual sell that car

Your mechanic scammed u. He got a naija used engine 4 quarter the price of toks. A toks engine won't have single or let's say highest 3 drops of oil in it. Normal toks engine nmy must replace all oil seals. The smoking might have been. From oil leaking and dripping on chassis,exhaust frame. Then secondly the engine they might have dumped nails inside it,which will hook the crmshafts and gbam it will knock. Sell the car now oh

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by id4sho(m): 9:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
It's mechanics that work on commercial vehicles that I allow open my engines. You all those garage you see Toyota hiace& sienna. They know their onions

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by olukaygold(m): 2:34pm On Jun 13, 2023
Chai! See how unprofessional mechanic spoil your car. This was how ibadan road side mechanic spoilt my two weeks old car until i towed it back to ilorin and bought new engine. Ever since then I get peace of mind.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Godsonkemz(m): 3:33pm On Jun 13, 2023
Sorry about your misfortune. When buying a tokumbo used engine, ensure you go with a trusted mechanic and anything you discover before it's mounted, immediately request for change. Don't listen to mechanic always, something you just have to use your discretion.

When I bought my engine, I had to personally revolve it, check the valves though a tough work which the seller initially declined to, in addition to other verifications. He had about 15 engines of the same kind so it was a difficult task.

Now that you have made the mistake, I'd suggest you take the vehicle to a good mechanic. Don't be in haste to do so, take time to research and ask questions about good mechanic from people who have encountered similar experience within your locality.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Elsueno: 4:44pm On Jun 13, 2023
Mahn...I can feel ur pain... usually when it comes to changing engines u either go to old mechanics workshop who fix big cars or be ready to pay premium for professionals like gazuz...You see those guys value reputation well well, so they would always give u ur moneys worth..

5 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Asquare84(m): 9:34pm On Jun 13, 2023
vivalavida:

Is this @AutoManual?

He may be the one ooo
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by vivalavida(m): 10:16pm On Jun 13, 2023
Asquare84:

He may be the one ooo

That is how he writes. And he drives that particular car too.

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Grupo(m): 7:05am On Jun 14, 2023
vivalavida:

Is this @AutoManual?

Oh god! 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

This made me laugh out so hard.

He types like automanual.

And I really hope it's not him.

Because that his car don too show am enough pepper.

4 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Grupo(m): 7:13am On Jun 14, 2023
Antibettings:

I bought one eod from nairaland here too
That car almost sent me to heaven... I sold it the amount I bought it 5 months after

You are lucky you sold it the same amount you bought it.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by vivalavida(m): 8:04am On Jun 14, 2023
Grupo:

Oh god! 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

This made me laugh out so hard.

He types like automanual.

And I really hope it's not him.

Because that his car don too show am enough pepper.

grin grin grin

That person is definitely automanual. That is his typing. No two ways about it.
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Angrygoat: 11:25am On Jun 14, 2023
Automanual. We k ow it is you. Do t be ashamed. We all have been thru this shit
Your 1st car supposed be kia. Not v6 abused and dead honda. U know even enjoy the car reach 3 months. Ode

1 Like

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Antibettings: 11:30am On Jun 14, 2023
Grupo:

You are lucky you sold it the same amount you bought it.

Very lucky!. The buyer butchered it few months after
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Grupo(m): 1:32pm On Jun 14, 2023
Seriously, automanual, if you are truly the person who wrote this, I'd advise you just sell off the car at this point and count your losses.

I know that sunk cost bias will make you want to continue keeping the car.

But best believe that the car will continue to be a money pit.

Because you are obviously not knowledgeable about cars, and local kazeem don vow to open account on top your head.

Sell off that car now and be free.

3 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by Antibettings: 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2023
Grupo:
Seriously, automanual, if you see the person who wrote this, I'd advise you just sell off the car at this point and count your losses.

I know that sunk cost bias will make you want to continue keeping the car.

But best believe that the car will continue to be a money pit.

Because you are obviously not knowledgeable about cars, and local kazeem don vow to open account on top your head.

Sell off that car now and be free.

Honda v6 , second hand can never give good result
Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by buygala(m): 2:51pm On Aug 09, 2023
Antibettings:

Honda v6 , second hand can never give good result

Don't generalize Sir

I used a very neat 2003 Honda accord v6 for a little while and sold it on this forum for 1.670m.
.Na with plenty beg I agreed to remove 30k from my asking price.. And it came into my possession 2nd hand, not toks...Till date, buyer hasn't even called or chatted me to greet me Good Morning .. Last I saw him was at a filling station in Lugbe where he filled the car tank enroute his base about 500km away.. We dey read each other status for WhatsApp till date, but e no even ask me how well I spend the moni wey e pay me grin.. That's how proper car sales should go.. No after sale nagging or drama...Just swap ownership and everybody vamoose.

Cheap things are cheap for a reason... As Op buy Honda DC for 1m this inflation period, what was he expecting? .. That money he was trying to save, he will still spend it one way or the other.. Seller sold cheap for a reason... There are 2nd hand Honda DC V6 that won't go for less than 2m, hell or highwater....

Na problem motor cheap....Op outsmarted himself and has reaped the consequences of his genius... It has nothing to do with the general reliability of that vehicle.

7 Likes

Re: Advise Needed About Smoking Toks Engine by chukel(m): 5:54am On Aug 11, 2023
I will be harsh. You are not unlucky with cars. You are just stupid. In 2023, you have a misfire and you go blindly to Kazeem, who without a scanner diagnoses valve issue. You deserve what you got. Most car owners have no business owning cars. You bought a car of 1m but couldn't invest in scanner of 15-30k. You have internet at your disposal but can't use it to sort your problems. You depend wholeheartedly on Kazeem whom you are intellectually miles ahead of. Well deserved. Most smoke from Honda initially has nothing to do with valve seal. Even when you replace valve seal, it stops momentarily then starts again. Nigerians never check on the PCV valves of their cars. It gets blocked over time, creates increased pressure within the engine and blows one or 2 seals that lead to oil leaking into exhaust and burning oil with white smoke. Honda pcv is plastic and breaks inside there over time from heat.

(1) (Reply)

Need Help With My Rover 75! / Top 10 Cars Most Likely To Kill You / ML350 Alarms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.