Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,490 members, 7,850,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:41 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (79862 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:59pm On Jun 13, 2023
Sturdy12:

Bros, can this my generator run the package?

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Mariomadiba(m): 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2023
nex:

If you use a Non-Explosive Composite Fibre Cylinder, you won't have to worry about explosion with LPG, LNG, CNG or any other type of gas.

I'm just waiting for the results to come in, so I can decide on what to do next with my generator.

In terms of pricing, it is possible that petrol prices will fall a little with less demand if many Nigerians switch to gas to fuel their cars and generators, but what will happen to the price of gas with the high demand? You expect price of gas to remain below N700 per kg?

Where can I get this Gas cylinder? Anyone ?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by niceface(m): 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2023
Well done Gazzuz, pls was there any difference in the generator sound/noise while using the two.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by shogz89: 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2023
ask4bk:

Can you Buy 1k gas? Sincère question actually
Yes Sir. You can either tell the attendant what you want to buy in kg or price terms

Same way you can tell a fuel attendant you want to buy 5k petrol or 10ltrs
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Themaths(m): 4:55pm On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .

Dear OP,

This is not in anyway to undermine your research, infact, it is very commendable putting this out there, I thank you for that.

I don't know if others have pointed it out already, the few pages I read, I didn't see anyone point it out. When calculating decimals for time, we don't count it like we do usual numbers because there are 60mins in an hour and not 100mins. 1hr 10mins is not 1.1hrs, if it is then 1hr 60mins will be 1.6hrs instead of 2hrs.

From your calculations, 1hr 46mins will be 1 + 46/60 = 1.77hrs and this brings the cost consumption for petrol to 500/1.76 = #284/hr

And LPG will be 3 + 17/60 = 3.28hrs. Making this 650/3.28 = #198/hr

Thank you. Again, good work!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:30pm On Jun 13, 2023
Themaths:

Dear OP,

This is not in anyway to undermine your research, infact, it is very commendable putting this out there, I thank you for that.

I don't know if others have pointed it out already, the few pages I read, I didn't see anyone point it out. When calculating decimals for time, we don't count it like we do usual numbers because there are 60mins in an hour and not 100mins. 1hr 10mins is not 1.1hrs, if it is then 1hr 60mins will be 1.6hrs instead of 2hrs.

From your calculations, 1hr 46mins will be 1 + 46/60 = 1.77hrs and this brings the cost consumption for petrol to 500/1.76 = #284/hr

And LPG will be 3 + 17/60 = 3.28hrs. Making this 650/3.28 = #198/hr

Thank you. Again, good work!

noticed , but unable to edit first post .

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Healthquest: 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Again, not rocket science , can be done without stress
I'm trying to say to get the ECU Actually but it can't be for you because you're fully into this unlike me
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:40pm On Jun 13, 2023
Healthquest:
I'm trying to say to get the ECU Actually but it can't be for you because you're fully into this unlike me

it is part of the kit

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ask4bk(m): 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2023
shogz89:
Yes Sir. You can either tell the attendant what you want to buy in kg or price terms

Same way you can tell a fuel attendant you want to buy 5k petrol or 10ltrs
OK... Thought people just only bought the entire gas bottle when it finishes
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by iHateFraudsters: 9:01am On Jun 14, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

I will open a special thread for sale, service and installation.

This is just an experiment.

We're still waiting.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by billionman: 9:18am On Jun 14, 2023
Pedyson:
You forgot to list the power factor (generator power rate), it also determine the amount of gas/pms per liter it consumes
Or doesn’t power factor has effect on the timing?

He used same generator and load for the two types of fuel.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by billionman: 9:20am On Jun 14, 2023
ask4bk:

Can you Buy 1k gas? Sincère question actually

Yes you can. You can even buy less than 1kg. Its a matter of calculations
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by CashVessel(m): 10:29am On Jun 14, 2023
Manuella4ace:

Go school, you say No. Someone just did an analysis that was simple enough to understand, I stead of you to humble yourself and say you don't understand so that they will explain better, you begin yarn rubbish.

You're trying to show us you're wise.
Oga, buy fuel 7k and gas 7k, any one that last longer wins.
Simple and short.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:49am On Jun 14, 2023
iHateFraudsters:
GAZZUZZ, you didn't say anything about the price of the LPG conversion kit.

Or did you construct it yourself?

https://www.nairaland.com/7727172/fuel-subsidy-convert-generator-lpg
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:59am On Jun 14, 2023

Selling

Ogba Lagos

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by pfadom: 12:07pm On Jun 14, 2023
What an unteachable mind; How was the effort condemned here? Is it an offence to highlight area of adjustment?

I pity you.

femicyrus:

Learn to appreciate people's effort instead of looking for faults
Why is it that digital clock made by similar brain to op do not read like what you are presenting?
Since you know what you know, what have you done with it apart from condemning the work of others?

Do your own correctly or go to court pls
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:40pm On Jun 14, 2023
Pythagoras001:
you can always do the conversion since you know the fuel density. Working with mass at this velocity close to zero one can safely and correctly assume conservation of mass. The central idea is Just don't compare apples with oranges, meters with yards. Smart people have done this calculations before and you can use their results as a starting point instead of reinventing the wheel. I am only writing this for educational purpose and not trying to sound arogant or trying impress anyone.

You're writing utter nonsense. This experiment is designed to show a cost vs value ratio, nothing else.

Oversabi.

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pythagoras001: 2:17pm On Jun 14, 2023
HeavenlyBang:

You're writing utter nonsense. This experiment is designed to show a cost vs value ratio, nothing else.

Oversabi.
why do you sound so pained? Just Make your point and move on. You must not agree with what I stated. I didn't even include energy conversion efficiency in my initial post depending on how accurate you want the comparison to be there is a lot to take into consideration. Someone once said all model are wrong some are just more accurate.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pythagoras001: 2:21pm On Jun 14, 2023
pfadom:
What an unreachable mind; How was the effort condemned here? Is it an offence to highlight area of adjustment?

I pity you.

I just cannot wrap my head around why people can't just stand constructive criticism/input (peer review) with the intention to improve the overall result.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by shantti(m): 11:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
Nazgul:

What if after buying it 1kg of gas increases to almost 1k, what then?

This is Nigeria where any nonsense is possible.

Then we confuse the government and switch back to petrol.
The low demand of LPG will make its price to come down cool cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by bellotaofeek: 4:11am On Jun 15, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

You did a very great job. Bravo ! Am only scared of the explosive part of it. Let's watch though !
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:56am On Jun 15, 2023
bellotaofeek:
You did a very great job. Bravo ! Am only scared of the explosive part of it. Let's watch though !

I keep hearing this and it makes no sense to me.

This is a cylinder in most homes in Nigeria, used in confined spaces without ventilation loaded on a naked flame

Meanwhile

A generator is kept outdoors

A generator does not spit fire.

LPG is safer than petrol any day.

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Hussygy: 11:55am On Jun 15, 2023
Oga it seems there is a problem in your calculation for cost of fuel per hour
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10am On Jun 28, 2023
any one carried out a personal test?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by baylord77(m): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2023
Good work @Op.

I don't know if my question has been asked.

Could you please give results in hours for 1kg of LPG for the following load using a 6 - 6.5kva generator?

1. 25% Load = .......... hrs

2. 50% Load = ......... hrs

3. 75% Load = .......... hrs

This is very important for business owners that want to convert from diesel to LPG.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by aieromon(m): 2:41pm On Jul 05, 2023
baylord77:
Good work @Op.

I don't know if my question has been asked.

Could you please give results in hours for 1kg of LPG for the following load using a 6 - 6.5kva generator?

stagger:
I did a test with the LPG carburetor on a 6.5KVA gen with water pump, ac and washing machine load.

I got 9 hours of power on 12.5 kg which I got for N7,500.

That's a cost of N833 per hour.

Same gen has a 25 litre PMS tank which runs for 12 hours (on limited load; one ac only). That's N13,500 (@ N540/litre) for 12 hours, or N1,125 per hour.

Savings per hour: N1,125 - N833 = N292 per hour.

Using the LPG carburetor and gas for 6 hours a day (assuming you want to run it from 6pm to 12 midnight if there is no power), you save N292 X 6 = N1,752 per day.

Over 30 days, that's savings of N52,560. Over a year, that's savings of N630,720.

Meanwhile, I imported my carburetor from China at a cost of 17,500. It was delivered to my house. Cylinder kept at a distance of 6 yards away.
The only thing I notice is that I have to put the gas on and leave it for 1 minute to enter the system, and then I have to pull three or four times before it kicks in. Also have to return the choke pretty fast or it will go off.

Have been using this system for a month now. No issues.

I will advice not to fill your gas at roadside vendors. Air in the cylinder instead of LPG will cause the gen to start fluctuating.

https://www.nairaland.com/7752668/lpg-cng-petrol-hybrid-generator/1#124226612

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by fuckboys: 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

The gallon been de shake, no worry I set am well .
you have a LNG carburetor for 1.9kva firman?

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Segun2222: 2:28am On Jul 06, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
This is why I'm still holding back. I want to see the difference especially time and consumption. I'll be following this topic
dont hold back cng is coming even 3x cheaper and cleaner than lpg and kindly note while using lpg/cng your gen no go dey spoil unlike petrol

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by baylord77(m): 8:20pm On Jul 06, 2023

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:32am On Jul 07, 2023
There was a time people thought kerosine was safer than gas

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:19am On Jul 07, 2023
Selling ...
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:32am On Jul 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / Shocking Transformation Of Some Crashed Cars Sold In Nigeria (Photos) / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.