Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello (6129 Views)

Tunji Braithwaite dead / Photo of a goat tied to a tree roasted alive during weekend's Boko haram attack / Prominent Nigerians Who May Be Jailed In 2016 (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by aloyemeka1: 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2011
[size=14pt]Cut Down A Tree In Lagos, Go to Jail -Tunji Bello  [/size]

Lagos state Commissioner for the Environment, Tunji Bello, has warned that persons who take delight in cutting down trees in the state risk going to jail.
Speaking through Mrs Adebola Raji, on Friday at the Lagos state ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation training centre in Ajao Estate Anthony village in Lagos, Bello said his ministry is planning to plant 15,000 trees in various parts of the state in the next four years.
So, far, it has succeeded in planting about 10,000 trees, even as the ministry will not tolerate any persons who cut down trees either to make fire or for other purposes.
The Lagos environmental commissioner spoke during the commissioning of projects executed by the Region 1 of the International Association of Lions Clubs held at the training centre in Ajao Estate in Anthony Village, Lagos.
He advised Lagosians not to cut down trees in their own interest as trees absorb the carbon dioxide exhaled by human beings and giving out oxygen for use by human beings, as well as beautifying and shielding our environment from thunder and other stormy weather.
In his reaction, Lion Dr Ayoade Adesokan, the district governor of Lions Club District 404B Nigeria thanked the commissioner for drawing the attention of Lagosians to the health and other benefits of planting trees and promised to partner with the Lagos state government in the area of rendering humanitarian services to the people.
By Emmanuel Udom

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/10/01/cut-down-a-tree-in-lagos-go-to-jail-tunji-bello/
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by asha80(m): 8:57pm On Oct 01, 2011
too late for that
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by jason123: 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2011
That wouldn't work in Nigeria. Moreover, who'll enforce it
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by Pifa: 9:17pm On Oct 01, 2011
It’s a perfectly reasonable ordinance. The trees are on public property and therefore are public property. Cutting down a tree on public property without the state’s expressed permission is tantamount to destroying public property. What is news about that?
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by emiye(m): 9:40pm On Oct 01, 2011
Enforceable Good News
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by Pifa: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2011
jason123:

That wouldn't work in Nigeria. Moreover, who'll enforce it

The state can never apprehend everyone who flouts the law. But those who are unfortunate enough to be caught should be made to bear the consequences.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by ektbear: 10:55pm On Oct 01, 2011
Good move.

I dunno the exact connection between leafy, green places and flooding/temperature/etc, but my guess is that trees have a positive impact on both.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by jason123: 11:05pm On Oct 01, 2011
Pifa:

The state can never apprehend everyone who flouts the law. But those who are unfortunate enough to be caught should be made to bear the consequences.

Point taken!
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by aquita(m): 9:28am On Oct 02, 2011
Enforcement of this law will really help the environment.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by freecocoa(f): 9:32am On Oct 02, 2011
Which trees are we talking about?are the ones in people's compound included?or just the ones planted by the government?cause I wonder why anyone will cut government planted trees.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by sylve11: 9:55am On Oct 02, 2011
Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed. Good move but let's see how it goes. cool
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by iykak47: 10:04am On Oct 02, 2011
Cut down a tree and  be jailed, i doubt if such  a law can work in naija. unlike in Us where a man was sent to six  months  imprisonment few days ago for killing a cat (small animal}.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by Reni1: 10:20am On Oct 02, 2011
Stoorrrrry, When a retired Police Big Wig just cut down one Tree for Oju Olobon yesterday, na him Oga bello dey threathen jail,
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by udezue(m): 10:29am On Oct 02, 2011
Gooooood move
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by jacobs123(m): 1:39pm On Oct 02, 2011
a country that runs on generator is talking abou carbon monoxide, just because everybody is taking about it. The most important environmental issue to us should be cleanliness of our filthy state.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by philip0906(m): 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2011
freecocoa:

Which trees are we talking about?are the ones in people's compound included?or just the ones planted by the government?cause I wonder why anyone will cut government planted trees.
jacobs123:

a country that runs on generator is talking abou carbon monoxide, just because everybody is taking about it. The most important environmental issue to us should be cleanliness of our filthy state.
no mind them. . .they are just looking for how to get into the news
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by aloyemeka1: 2:12pm On Oct 02, 2011
jacobs123:

Whether we clean everywhere or not, trees are very important still. Trees are even more important in a country that relies on generators to generate energy because they can quickly absorb the excess CO in the air. It is very easy to adhere to the tree law and also very easy to enforce it. I want them to make laws that will also mandate every landlord in Lagos to plant at least 1 tree or face a huge fine.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by philip0906(m): 2:18pm On Oct 02, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Whether we clean everywhere or not, trees are very important still. Trees are even more important in a country that relies on generators to generate energy because they can quickly absorb the excess CO in the air. It is very easy to adhere to the tree law and also very easy to enforce it. I want them to make laws that will also mandate every landlord in Lagos to plant at least 1 tree or face a huge fine.
take a look at this
freecocoa:

Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 02, 2011
The shame is that this has to be a law in the first instance since it's just basic common sense stuff.

Trees clean the air, hold the top soil together, provides shades, etc
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by redsun(m): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2011
Trees are vital for cohesive environment,it beatifies,it shades,it curbs erosions and provide shelters  for wild life  but can the "people" cope without available and affordable source of domestic fuel like cooking gas,kerosine and coal?

Our laws should be made with needs,availability and affordability in mind,our society is still leaning towards the poor,crude and unrefines ways of doing things and laws should reflect that.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by atasteve: 2:32pm On Oct 02, 2011
Who will be doing the arrest?

We all need to be on red alert and secure our environment against ecology imbalances.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by aloyemeka1: 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2011
atasteve:

Who will be doing the arrest?

We all need to be on red alert and secure our environment against ecology imbalances.

Area boys/alaye just got employment opportunities for them.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by jacobs123(m): 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
aloy/emeka:

when you deprive a people to the level at which NIgerians have been, Tree is the last thing on your mind. The people need the trees to cook and you are talking of CO.
Make no mistake, I agree with you that we need trees but LASG seems to be getting the order of everything wrong. they think they can legislate everything, no street trading, no crossing of bridge, no this, no that. How many have they been able to enforce, ask yourself why does someone want his/her child to be hawking in the dangerous traffic, why do you prefer to cross a road that to use the bridge, why do you want to cut down trees, why do landlords prefer to collect 2 years rent etc.

Well if you agree with them that they should just churn out the laws, no problem it will just make more criminals out of us and that is no rproblem afterall our national pastime these days seems to be testing the boundaries of what is acceptable in our land. When LASTMA first came, they were feared but now, we all speak the same language for a fee of course. HAS taking one way stopped?, we refused to find out and fix the reasons why pople take one way.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by philip0906(m): 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2011
jacobs123:

when you deprive a people to the level at which NIgerians have been, Tree is the last thing on your mind. The people need the trees to cook and you are talking of CO.
Make no mistake, I agree with you that we need trees but LASG seems to be getting the order of everything wrong. they think they can legislate everything, no street trading, no crossing of bridge, no this, no that. How many have they been able to enforce, ask yourself why does someone want his/her child to be hawking in the dangerous traffic, why do you prefer to cross a road that to use the bridge, why do you want to cut down trees, why do landlords prefer to collect 2 years rent etc.
Well if you agree with them that they should just churn out the laws, no problem it will just make more criminals out of us and that is no rproblem afterall our national pastime these days seems to be testing the boundaries of what is acceptable in our land. When LASTMA first came, they were feared but now, we all speak the same language for a fee of course. HAS taking one way stopped?, we refused to find out and fix the reasons why pople take one way.
+1000 wink
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by velo10: 3:31pm On Oct 02, 2011
The trees would serve as firewood anytime kerosene/gas prices soars. If I cut am for night make I see who go come catch me grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by yuzedo: 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2011
Wait o! So if I planted a tree 20yrs ago, and the roots have gotten so huge that they are tearing up my fence or/and foundation of my house, and I bring it down, govt go arrest me undecided
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by aloyemeka1: 6:36pm On Oct 02, 2011
yuzedo:

Wait o! So if I planted a tree 20yrs ago, and the roots have gotten so huge that they are tearing up my fence or/and foundation of my house, and I bring it down, govt go arrest me???  undecided

You apply for permission from the state so you can be allowed to cut the tree.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by engrj(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2011
Is like Lagos av probs now.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by ektbear: 8:00pm On Oct 02, 2011
velo10:

The trees would serve as firewood anytime kerosene/gas prices soars. If I cut am for night make I see who go come catch me grin grin grin grin grin

And if they catch you, maybe your body will be used as firewood instead angry

Leave the trees alone.
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by kurus: 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by member479760: 9:57pm On Oct 02, 2011
"on generator in lagos and be jailed" Tunji Bello. guys becarefull not tree but generator
Re: Cut Down A Tree In Lagos And Be Jailed - Tunji Bello by Pifa: 11:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
Some of you are a curious lot. Ever since I found this web site a couple of years ago, I’ve come to realize that there is a dichotomy between what Nigerians say they want in their society (law and order) and what they are willing to sacrifice to live in a lawful and orderly society (nothing).

I am bemused at how some of you dug deep for reasons this ordinance should not be enacted or cannot be enforced. To the person who brought up the firewood for the poor issue, let me ask you this: Would you justify jumping the queue at a bus station just because you were running late for work? Would a poor person justify killing zoo animals for meat because of hunger?

Ignorance is no defense for flouting the law and poverty is no justification for committing an offence.

The issue here is very simple: the trees are public property and you have no right to destroy them. Can it be any clearer than that?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gunmen Storm Airforce School In Kano: Kill Many / PHCN Workers Move To Disrupt Electricity Supply / EXPLOSIVE: Ahmad Salkida Reveals What Boko Haram Wants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.