Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans (60043 Views)

100 Level NSUK Student Commits Suicide Over Failed Relationship (Photos) / Carter Oshodin, UNIBEN Official, Commits Suicide Over Hardship / Missing Dele Bandele Commits Suicide Over Depression (Suicide Note) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Greattha: 7:39am On Jun 17, 2023
To those who support debtors, this blood is on your head.

To every debtor out there, his blood is on your head.

Nigerians have a very terrible loan repayment culture.

The pressure put on these Microfinance Bankers to recover loans that are supposedly without any serious guarantee or collateral but just the character of the mostly illiterate and even some educated customers is terrible.

Until there's a change of mindset of Nigerian borrowers, Microfinance and Fintech services are not meant for Nigerians

There's absolutely no reason to commit suicide.

Last December, a vibrant young lad died of complete stroke because of money he didn't spend but gave to customers who refused to pay.

It's sad really.
My prayers are with the wife and family.

1 Like

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Donedeal1(m): 7:45am On Jun 17, 2023
The major blames goes to his friends and relatives,

The bond is now too slack.

Nobody cares.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Donedeal1(m): 7:48am On Jun 17, 2023
The major blames goes to his friends and relatives,

The bond is now too slack.

Nobody cares anymore about what's

happening to anyone anymore.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Greattha: 7:48am On Jun 17, 2023
Nothing is impossible o.

Debtors are wicked o.

We once handled a case where a debtor went to tie down his loan officer at a juju house so he would forget the loan...it took the intervention of the Audit department of the microfinance bank and the family's prayer to redeem the guy...cos from the onset,the customer never intended to pay back the loan.

And unfortunately, it's a civil case...Nigeria constitution never had stiff penalties for debtors until recent acts.

Adek15:
what if he was killed by one of the loan debtors and made to look like he killed himself?

1 Like

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 17, 2023
Timoleon:
Sad sad end.

Too many people are just one more frustrating event away from a total mental breakdown.

If you are currently going through hard times please stay hopeful. With the right level optimism and a steady grinding and hustling, you’ll breakthrough. Yes, you can see your mates and sometimes younger ones doing better, know this and know peace; there are many people who had their breakthroughs in their forties and fifties.

Get up, go out. If you have to do menial jobs, do it. You’ll earn money to feed and sort some bills. People wey you dey fear say dem go judge you no care as you dey hunger and frustrate so why care about them as you dey hustle to push yourself in life.

Stay strong brother, stay positive sister. This shall pass. Believe and push harder, it surely will.

Brother, what happened here is mainly betrayal of trust.

I am very close to one very big MFB in Nigeria. If you place so much trust in people, if they disappoint you, it can lead to anything. You broke rules and regulations to help people out of sympathy and good case only to find out those who came as angels for loans are demons in real person and there is nothing you can do.

1 Like

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Jpblessed(m): 7:55am On Jun 17, 2023
Better oil dey your head, na when things don spoil finish na im dem go dey form yeye sympathy, but when e be dey red dem no go look ur side.
NobleSeed:
If he had shared this issue with his friends, maybe somebody would have come to his aid.
na so una dey talk.
Who knows of he told you people about his predicament,no be Nigerians again? Na them go blame am pass.
Why will you be giving out company loans to people, you know how Nigerians is bla bla
Very funny set of humans
Rip to him.

2 Likes

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by bitbillionaire: 8:01am On Jun 17, 2023
I don't mean to sound heartless, but I think the man had some mental problem if the story is true.

I don't believe a person whose mental state is okay would take such a drastic action just because of loans he gave out, no matter the pressure to recover them
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by histemple: 8:31am On Jun 17, 2023
Acekidc4:
Why will you kill Yourself Over Loan Debt?? Why not Discuss your Problem out, Someone might help. A closed Mouth is a closed Destiny!!Sorosoke Werey!!

So, who told you get didn't discuss it with some people?

Even you that is blaming him, just pick your phone right now and call all your friends to ask for help and see how many of them will assist you.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by fabolouz1(m): 8:33am On Jun 17, 2023
Suicide wasn't the best option ,however people collecting loans without the intention of repaying are worst than armed robbers.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by vee22: 9:31am On Jun 17, 2023
Interest rate is too high and no repercussion to loan defaulters
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Tonytonex(m): 10:21am On Jun 17, 2023
Donpaulo2:
For this naija 😂 wey most of us stingy like mad even to pay small debt na issue. Fear who no fear Nigerians😂😂
Me, if collect, I dey pay. Sometimes even before the due date sef.

1 Like

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Regie2bless: 10:24am On Jun 17, 2023
Omihanifa:
This is really sad. Imagine a bank manger taking his own life for loans that he gave out to customers undecided
is so bad, the bank will put pressure on you as if u are the one that eats the money, I worked with a microfinance bank for some 6yrs, I can tell you, if u don't have d nerve or fighting spirit, suicide is not far from the person. Many times my own salary was used by the company to upset the loan repayment with or without my notice. I earn 60k at dat time, I will be paid 3k for d month d rest of my salary has gone to pay for loan repayment I didn't eat. During dat period I developed high B.P. things like dis they need to regulate the system, in a way dat staff will not be held liable for d loan staff disbursed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Regie2bless: 10:30am On Jun 17, 2023
NobleSeed:
If he had shared this issue with his friends, maybe somebody would have come to his aid.
na so una dey talk.
Who knows of he told you people about his predicament,no be Nigerians again? Na them go blame am pass.
Why will you be giving out company loans to people, you know how Nigerians is bla bla
Very funny set of humans
Rip to him.
there are many microfinance staff, who don't sleep at night due to excessive thinking, couple with mad loan drive, all these wahala for money wey u no chop. The stress is too much, sometimes suicide thought will start creeping in. Is so sad dat man kill himself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Shadysen: 11:19am On Jun 17, 2023
Acekidc4:
Why will you kill Yourself Over Loan Debt?? Why not Discuss your Problem out, Someone might help. A closed Mouth is a closed Destiny!!Sorosoke Werey!!

believe me, some people are talking but there is no help, they sometimes received insult and embarrassments, life is so so harsh, rip man.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by nedekid: 11:19am On Jun 17, 2023
Na wah.
Nigerians don't pay loans. Know this and know peace.
The only way to operate is to do what abokis at the airport area use to do back in the day.
Give short loans, but with heavy collateral.
Eg. Give you 1m for 1 month, but you drop your car worth 10m. You sign out ownership of the car and loose the vehicle if you do not pay within agreed date. Infact aboki will already be driving the vehicle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by fohlarp: 11:38am On Jun 17, 2023
This job ehn,na anoda thing,U will be frustrated as if na u den say make u carry am for shoulder.He's scared of d next meeting whr dey will ask' wot is ur cabal 'ow much dey ur cabal'people owing av dey paid,all d debt is inside his cabal.u for leave dr job na,aye o pare,anoda gud job is waitg,but thinkn he has built his profile to dt level whr will he start again.men dey cant lay u off na u n company go dey arrest dos ppl snc u dnt steal,cos u n ur team av worked to raise ur cabal but to retrieve back is slow,men d economy is some ow slow.not to talk of iseyin drs little companies,devlpmt dr
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Timoleon(m): 12:26pm On Jun 17, 2023
It’s a crazy world really. What’s more unfortunate is that situations like these sometimes break some people beyond redemption.
babaolofin:

Brother, what happened here is mainly betrayal of trust.

I am very close to one very big MFB in Nigeria. If you place so much trust in people, if they disappoint you, it can lead to anything. You broke rules and regulations to help people out of sympathy and good case only to find out those who came as angels for loans are demons in real person and there is nothing you can do.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Timoleon(m): 12:33pm On Jun 17, 2023
Many people don’t know this about loan loan officers. They think they are collecting free money but loan officers go through immense pressures and frustrations. First you have target of bringing in people and disbursing loans to them yet it’s still on you to collect the debt. Many will work for months without salaries. Some mfbs will go as far as locking these officers in police cells for weeks.
Regie2bless:
is so bad, the bank will put pressure on you as if u are the one that eats the money, I worked with a microfinance bank for some 6yrs, I can tell you, if u don't have d nerve or fighting spirit, suicide is not far from the person. Many times my own salary was used by the company to upset the loan repayment with or without my notice. I earn 60k at dat time, I will be paid 3k for d month d rest of my salary has gone to pay for loan repayment I didn't eat. During dat period I developed high B.P. things like dis they need to regulate the system, in a way dat staff will not be held liable for d loan staff disbursed.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by delpee(f): 3:06pm On Jun 17, 2023
The loan default rate in Nigeria is too high. People get their priorities wrong and misapply funds. Some see it as their share of the National cake.
Education loan comes to mind.....
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by RussellRutherfo: 7:30pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ilekokonit:

The dead chap will possibly have considered telling his friends and relatives about his predicament but he must have decided not to tell them because MOST Nigerians don't mind their business and will use what you told them in confidence to gossip about you and mock you behind your back.

If only Nigerians were not so competitive or prone to gossiping about the predicaments of others.

Its the same reason some Nigerians in Diaspora (who were doing well financially back home but have hit a financial road block abroad especially if they don't have papers) find it difficult to throw in the towel and come back to Nigeria because their friends, families, in laws and out laws will gossip about them, label them failures and mock them to death when in actual fact if Nigerians minded their own business, such chaps just needed the space back home to think things through and forge a new path for themselves but the gossip crew made up of close friends and family will not allow them rest by calling them failures behind their back.

Facts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by RussellRutherfo: 7:30pm On Jun 17, 2023
Moniya4Real:
As for me o... never in this life will I kill myself , even if I was convicted to die tomorrow... I still won’t kill myself today😂

Werey!! grin
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by RussellRutherfo: 7:34pm On Jun 17, 2023
MrCuteking:
I’ve always told people to reduce the number of friendship to the barest minimum because friendship these days is so expensive.

Facts.

Having no friends helps. They will drain you with their problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by BIGDADDY000(m): 8:50pm On Jun 17, 2023
Hhansome:
I honestly do not know the job of National orientation agency in Nigeria.

Please don't kill yourself for any reason. It's so cold outside!
God bless you, have been searching since to a body that supposed to responsible for guiding and counselling in Nigeria, I couldn't found one, you just help me name them now, this particular body are totally useless in Nigeria.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Ilekokonit: 11:20pm On Jun 17, 2023
RussellRutherfo:

Facts.

Having no friends helps. They will drain you with their problems.

More like once you listen to their problems, they will offload it onto you and expect that it is now partly your responsibility to solve it for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Ilekokonit: 11:33pm On Jun 17, 2023
Reference:
Loan repayment failures under this austerity regime is bound to escalate. Result of gross mismanagement over the past 8 years and more. Because Nigerians largely cannot relate their choices to their experiences, we all suffer. If you are in the cash trade business insurance should be your neighbor. Sorry for the man and his family. Such a tragedy.

You are correct about the insurance bit. Nigerians don't have the habit of doing insurance. You will see someone buy a car that cost many millions and will do the barest minimum third party insurance or no insurance at all and when the car gets stolen or written off in an accident they will start gnashing their teeth when they could have done fully comprehensive insurance and have the car cost refunded in full to them by the insurance company.

Same thing, person go build house or fill their shop with millions of Naira worth of goods and will start wailing when the shop / or house catches fire when contents / building insurance will have refunded them most if not all of their losses.

If the bank manager worked in a civilized country, he probably will not have killed himself because his employers - the bank - will already have had in place for EVERY loan some sort of loan default insurance paid for by the borrower such that if they defaulted, then the insurance company will cover the loss and the bank manager will not even have to worry.

But in Nigeria, the late bank manager knows that his employers will get illiterate policemen to first seize all his property and humiliate him in front of his neighbors before sending him to jail without trial hence he thought to himself - death before dishonor.
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Olufemiolaolu(m): 2:27pm On Jun 18, 2023
Peridotushers18:

The fact is nobody wish to die but the situation have attempted suicide twice this month
Bro all shall be well, have hope. It's well with you bro
Re: Sola Ogungbe: SEAP Microfinance Bank Manager Commits Suicide Over Unpaid Loans by Adek15(m): 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2023
Greattha:
Nothing is impossible o.

Debtors are wicked o.

We once handled a case where a debtor went to tie down his loan officer at a juju house so he would forget the loan...it took the intervention of the Audit department of the microfinance bank and the family's prayer to redeem the guy...cos from the onset,the customer never intended to pay back the loan.

And unfortunately, it's a civil case...Nigeria constitution never had stiff penalties for debtors until recent acts. That's why i prefer to give than lend if I can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

91 New Cases Of COVID-19 Reported, Total 1273, 239 Discharged, 40 Deaths / Coronavirus: Nigerian Man Tests Positive For Deadly Virus In US / "MouthAction Is Dangerous" Gynaecologist Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.