Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,436 members, 7,861,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:40 AM

Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President (3660 Views)

Judges That Can Sack A Sitting President Are Only The Supreme Court Judges / There's a Sitting President In Nigeria; APC Reminds Atiku (Press Statement) / Mustapha Sani Abacha Was Born In Aso Rock To A Sitting Head Of State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by bikefab(m): 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2023
If it were in a country where the rule of law is supreme, yes a court can actually remove a sitting president if it is found that the processes that brought him into governance was flawed and corrupt. Otherwise in a tyrannical styled government the judges are either bribed to pervert justice or intimidated into perversion. Such a situation breeds anarchy
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by akakurukukaku(m): 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2023
shortgun:
The constitution of a country is supreme and it gives the courts power to take decisions on various matters brought before it...
Nobody is above the law! not even the "president"
The office of the president and all the powers he enjoys is the creation of the constitution....

Wait until Tinubu is sacked, for sure he will disobey the court's verdict...
Then he will be treated in the language he understands. angry grin

Do you know Tinubu as President has the power to suspend the constitution? Tinubu will suspend the constitution and arrest all the judges including the Chief Justice of the Federation. Tinubu will declare a state of Emergency and arrest Peter Obi. You don't know how powerful a sitting President is. Nigerian President is regarded as the most powerful President in the world in case you don't know

3 Likes

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by losky83: 6:03pm On Jun 17, 2023
myloRrd:
people keep saying obi will win in court,caan a court autually remove tinubu is this even possible,do people know the type of power a president has?, what if the court gives order and he doesn't obey, we saw the case of buhari disobeying court orders, so i'm asking is it even possible?
THE PRESIDENT WAS SWORN IN BY THE COURT BY OATH TAKING AND THE PRESIDENT CAN BE REMOVED BY THE APEX COURT ON JUDGEMENT.

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by gaddafe(m): 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2023
myloRrd:
people keep saying obi will win in court,caan a court autually remove tinubu is this even possible,do people know the type of power a president has?, what if the court gives order and he doesn't obey, we saw the case of buhari disobeying court orders, so i'm asking is it even possible?

Do you even know what you are saying? It is the constitution that gives you the power to act as president. If the same constitution removes that power, then you go. Let's say for saying sake, the court asks Tinubu to leave and he refuse. Do you think the military will be wrong to shoot Tinubu and assume power indefinitely?

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Phantom233: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
The question should be "can the court sack a criminal who assume or wrongfully occupied the presidential seat"?
And the answer is YES though Corruption Will always fight back grin
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by ejimatic: 6:22pm On Jun 17, 2023
myloRrd:
No court can remove the sitting president in Nigeria.
Reason:. Your argument cannot be convincing enough to set aside the results of the presidential elections considering the polling units involved.
The present cases at the PEPT will go same way like the previous cases.Pronto!
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Great2017: 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2023
akakurukukaku:

Do you know Tinubu as President has the power to suspend the constitution? Tinubu will suspend the constitution and arrest all the judges including the Chief Justice of the Federation. Tinubu will declare a state of Emergency and arrest Peter Obi. You don't know how powerful a sitting President is. Nigerian President is regarded as the most powerful President in the world in case you don't know
I will like to see where he got the power from. May be he got the power from you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by johannu(m): 6:27pm On Jun 17, 2023
Anything can happen.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by shortgun(m): 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2023
akakurukukaku:

grin grin grin
Look at the calibre of people I am having discussions with 😂😂
Who told you the president has power to suspend the constitution? ...

Long military dictatorship era really messed up you guys big time.

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by shortgun(m): 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2023
ejimatic:
No court can remove the sitting president in Nigeria.
Reason:. Your argument cannot be convincing enough to set aside the results of the presidential elections considering the polling units involved.
The present cases at the PEPT will go same way like the previous cases.Pronto!
I also thought a sitting president can never relinquish power in Nigeria or any African country but it has happened countless times.

Tinubu will surely be the first "president" to be sacked by the courts.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Deogratiasfx: 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2023
myloRrd:

It is the judiciary that empowers him based on constitution to be president, if the court removes him, he loses his power to give orders. He ceases to be commander in Chief of the Armed forces. His words no longer has weight. This is more serious than you think
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Dubetex96(m): 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2023
Wait until Tinubu is sacked, for sure he will disobey the court's verdict... Then he will be treated in the language he understands. angry grin[/quote]
This one got me reeling with laughter

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by hedonido: 6:51pm On Jun 17, 2023
akakurukukaku:

You're a clown. He will arrest bla bla bla and arrest Peter Obi? Let him try it. I will personally do worse than the guy who put a golden groundnut into Gaddafi's skull. Anarchy is an understatement. You will understand that many millions of us are actually strong willed and suicide minded.

Let him manipulate or bribe or blackmail or threaten the justices to give him a favourable judgement. That's the most he can do, and then all of Nigerian society would have no choice than lick our wounds and move on. But any attempt to form stupid power and try the rubbish you just yapped, haha. His fate would be worse than Gbagbo, Mubarak and Gaddafi combined. He would be brutally made to understand that Nigeria is not his personal patrimony. Assured.

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by adekolaelect(m): 6:56pm On Jun 17, 2023
shortgun:
The constitution of a country is supreme and it gives the courts power to take decisions on various matters brought before it...
Nobody is above the law! not even the "president"
The office of the president and all the powers he enjoys is the creation of the constitution....

Wait until Tinubu is sacked, for sure he will disobey the court's verdict...
Then he will be treated in the language he understands. angry grin
Bragging as usual !!! You are better give yourself rest of mind than to allow HBP kill you in the name of Obi virtual presidency.

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2023
Raylight2:
I was Obi,s supporter but now I feel he should come back in 4 years.

He is done politically as a candidate, find another messiah, this time vet him properly and never put all your eggs in his basket. In other words, make sure he appeals to ALL NIGERIANS because once Nigerians see him as a local champion, he is done as well.

My suggestion would be for that person to start building those bridges now and build them loudly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by ejimatic: 7:04pm On Jun 17, 2023
shortgun:

I also thought a sitting president can never relinquish power in Nigeria or any African country but it has happened countless times.

Tinubu will surely be the first "president" to be sacked by the courts.
. Time will tell which will be true! I said it before 25 February 2023 election that OBI would crash considering the nature of Nigerian politics. Many Obedients supporters went haywire but all were silenced after they saw the results of the election in favour of BAT.
Same will happen soon at the court . .
How could Igbos lose the election only to come and win in Court! Not in Nigeria!Never ever!

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by yemmit90: 7:04pm On Jun 17, 2023
People underestimate the power of president in a presidential system of government. I think Atiku and his comrades knows better, reason they have stylishly move on.

If PEPT give judgement against him, all he need to do is to appeal it at supreme Court and change all those in charge to his preferred judges. Case close.

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by vanitybutiwanti: 8:46pm On Jun 17, 2023
hedonido:

You're a clown. He will arrest bla bla bla and arrest Peter Obi? Let him try it. I will personally do worse than the guy who put a golden groundnut into Gaddafi's skull. Anarchy is an understatement. You will understand that many millions of us are actually strong willed and suicide minded.

Let him manipulate or bribe or blackmail or threaten the justices to give him a favourable judgement. That's the most he can do, and then all of Nigerian society would have no choice than lick our wounds and move on. But any attempt to form stupid power and try the rubbish you just yapped, haha. His fate would be worse than Gbagbo, Mubarak and Gaddafi combined. He would be brutally made to understand that Nigeria is not his personal patrimony. Assured.
Look at this clown, if peter obi is arrested for any reason, heaven will not fall. Just as you're willing to die for your god obi, there are people willing to die for the other man. Your misdemeanor and planned foolishness will be met with equal response.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by frugal(m): 9:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
Raylight2:
I was Obi,s supporter but now I feel he should come back in 4 years.
Do you agree/believe he won the election, and was manipulated out?
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Electrochemistry(m): 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2023
If Nigeria's institutions are strong enough and not corrupt, the court or even the parliament can remove the president from power. All the organs of government and government institutions and every individual in the body politics derive their power from the constitution and as such the constitution is above any person and can remove any body accordingly providing the right procedure is followed.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2023
The question you should have asked is "Can the court jail obi for life for perpetrating electoral fraud?
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Goldmaxx(f): 10:50pm On Jun 17, 2023
Omoawoke:

Show us one evidence
So you're even a Tinubu supporter and you're claiming to be all over the world?
Didn't you see the kinda democracy being practiced there? Don't you want same for Nigeria?

That's if you've really being out of Ogbomosho.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Nigerfine3: 11:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
myloRrd:
Constitutionally and in paper, the apex court has power over the president. They are independent, they can remove the president.it happened in Kenya
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by MJluv(f): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2023
vanitybutiwanti:
You saw the way he won the elections and you're still expecting the court to remove him? Who or what is fuelling your delusions? APC is not GEJ led PDP, they are very ruthless, it's no coincidence that they instructed their lawyers not to talk to the press. If you as a person was announced as the winner of the presidential election, will you allow the courts to remove you with the resources you have at your disposal? obi doesn't have a case and he knows it, he has to follow through with the process to soothe his teeming supporters. A man like BAT that knows how to use power can never be removed by the court in Nigeria, I can't wait for the judgement to be passed so we can have some sanity on our cyber space.
Cowards die a thousand and more deaths!! Peter Obi is not a coward, he will pursue this thing to its logical end. And logic dictates that a fraud cannot be allowed to continue parading himself as what he is not.

As for people like you who says Obi has no case simply because Obi's valid case is against your brother, you will be put to shame when the judiciary will uphold the tenets of the law.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by vanitybutiwanti: 9:14am On Jun 18, 2023
MJluv:

Cowards die a thousand and more deaths!! Peter Obi is not a coward, he will pursue this thing to its logical end. And logic dictates that a fraud cannot be allowed to continue parading himself as what he is not.

As for people like you who says Obi has no case simply because Obi's valid case is against your brother, you will be put to shame when the judiciary will uphold the tenets of the law.
BAT is not my brother, you think everyone is like you igbos that supported a peter obi that did absolutely nothing in his state because he is from your region?

BAT will do at least four years and there's nothing wishful thinkers like you can do about it, you can only wail or oppose his policies online. When a judgement is eventually passed in BAts favour, what will peter obi or noisemakers like you do about it? Look around you, do you think ordinary people are willing to put their life on the line for obi apart from the igbos? What do you stand to gain if you lose your life for obi? People died during the End SARS protest, was it necessary? Perhaps you're one of the dumbos that think Obi will transform Nigeria to heaven when he failed to do that in a state he governed for 8 years. Jokers!

1 Like

Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Raylight2(m): 7:38pm On Jun 18, 2023
frugal:

Do you agree/believe he won the election, and was manipulated out?
The final Court's decision is what I would believe. For now, I have no believe.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by frugal(m): 9:32pm On Jun 19, 2023
Raylight2:

The final Court's decision is what I would believe. For now, I have no believe.
You're a fraud.
Re: Can A Court Actually Remove A Sitting President by Raylight2(m): 7:12am On Jun 20, 2023
frugal:

You're a fraud.
grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youth Minister, Olawande Commends The Launch Of Outsource To Nigeria Initiative / The (Sanusi/Saraki's) Takeover Agenda - Erastus Akingbola / John Togo Vows To Resume Bombing In 7 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.