Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,374 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka (7643 Views)

Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right On Obama's Cabinet / We Shifted Election Because Jonathan Was Losing--opc Founder, Fasheun / It`s A Lie, Jonathan Was Not Protected With 2,123 Policemen-Eye Witness Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ermm, pls skip to the bolded if you've got issues with "big grammar" and comprehension.

MONDAY, 03 OCTOBER 2011 00:00 FROM OGHOGHO OBAYUWANA, ABUJA
IT was one of the rare instances of Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka endorsing the Federal Government’s actions.

To him, the logic of Nigeria’s recognition of the National Transitional Council (TNC) of Libya was so compelling that it could only elicit his approval.

Prof. Soyinka’s submissions were contained in the full lecture he initially delivered at the 50th anniversary of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM), made available to The Guardian at the weekend.

Soyinka noted that “neither Nigeria, nor any other nation, will decide in isolation what sort of governance will operate within her borders.”

Defending Nigeria’s position on Libya, he said: “The act of striking out boldly on behalf of people, in unambiguous opposition to state, when the state turns cruel and oppressive, is a pointer to the direction that we outlined at the beginning. ‘Breaking ranks’ is not the pejorative indication that it is simplistically made out to be. If the ranks are compromised, you break with them. If such compromises make them drag their feet in a moment of critical, potentially affective decision, you break off and set the pace for the rest to follow. Risk or no risk, it is an honorable position.”

According to Soyinka, “the days of governance mystification will be decisively over. Humanity will have discovered, certainly long before the end of the twenty-first century, that issues of governance have always been adjustments between two distinct polarities – Power and Freedom.

“Be that as it may, Nigeria’s (initial) unilateral action at the significant moment conveniently takes us straight into the heart of this address since, fortunately, the nation did get it right this time, one of the rare occasions when she can look her face in the mirror without averting her eyes in disgust, and even look down in condescension on her fellow occupants of the continental shelf.”

Soyinka recalled that “there was another such moment in our past, to my recollection - this was when the government of Murtala Muhammed came out in favour of liberation forces of MPLA as opposed to UNITA, the latter having proved heavily compromised by its close ties to Apartheid South Africa.”

He continued: “This is one of the reasons – just to focus on Libya for a while – why I take the view that critics of Nigeria’s early recognition of the Libyan insurgents, are not only rehashing time-worn political platitudes, but placing themselves on the wrong side of history. These critics are also guilty of the crime of which they try to convict the act – hastiness. They assume that the surrender, or seizure of the ropes of control automatically liberates the masquerade into the hands of the Libyan insurgents. Or else they are on the alert against usurpation in only one direction – the much hated, justly excoriated West.

ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63070:-soyinka-defends-govts-action-on-libya&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by johnie: 1:09pm On Oct 03, 2011
Interesting times.

First, Oshiomole asking Jonathan to ignore criticsm

Then Fashola telling the Brits that the central government has done something about security in the country.

And now WS saying the criticsm of the FG's recognition of the Libyan rebels is time-worn political platitude?

Someone tell me I am dreaming or is it in the spirit of the independence anniversary?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 1:18pm On Oct 03, 2011
johnie:

Someone tell me I am dreaming or is it in the spirit of the independence anniversary?

Naaaaa, not a chance! It's actually in the spirit of honesty and objectivity and not allowing anyone pull the wool over your eyes or numb your sense or reasoning. And the Vindication of Johnny boy continues. How many times now? Someone remind me cos I've lost count!
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by BabaEleko(m): 1:39pm On Oct 03, 2011
Spirit of hennessy grin
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by johnie: 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
@wesley80, then I have to agree with BRF that our best days are ahead:

Governor Fashola reiterated that this are very challenging times for leaders at all levels simply because many economies are not lending itself to the many solutions that are being proffered to tackle current challenges.

“The expectations of our people on many front is that things will happen quickly than we are able to deal with them as leaders. However, the best days still lie ahead of us and we must understand that people would always be what they will be-impatient and critical”.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
johnie:

@wesley80, then I have to agree with BRF that our best days are ahead:

Governor Fashola reiterated that this are very challenging times for leaders at all levels simply because many economies are not lending itself to the many solutions that are being proffered to tackle current challenges.

“The expectations of our people on many front is that things will happen quickly than we are able to deal with them as leaders. However, the best days still lie ahead of us and we must understand that people would always be what they will be-impatient and critical”.

Now that's the tone of a man tired of the endless shenanigans of the ACN and her band of noisy sycophants, I bet he's silently crying out for some fresh Air!
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Beaf: 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2011
wesley80:

Now that's the tone of a man tired of the endless shenanigans of the ACN and her band of noisy sycophants, I bet he's silently crying out for some fresh Air!

I predicted several times last year that Fashola would end up in PDP. Thats the only party with the clout to protect him if he wants to break free and be his own man.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by johnie: 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2011
Prophet Beaf, what your crystal ball tell us about Oshiomole and Soyinka?

And 2015?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 2:19pm On Oct 03, 2011
Beaf:

I predicted several times last year that Fashola would end up in PDP. Thats the only party with the clout to protect him if he wants to break free and be his own man.

^^^ Bros, take am easy o cos some people fit get "stroke" before tomorrow morning! #NL's 3 resident ACN Goons!  
I no want hear say person enter lagoon go answer call of nature again o!  grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
Why dont Nigerian men know when to leave the stage after applause. Until pesin starts throwing rotten tomatoes at them, they will not hear.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by johnie: 6:52pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ileke, which one are you referring to now
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^^ Soyinka.

He promised to stay out of politics. Why is he still talking?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by werepeLeri: 7:44pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Soyinka.

He promised to stay out of politics. Why is he still talking?

There is a big difference between making public comments and politics ma.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Funkymallam(m): 7:46pm On Oct 03, 2011
@Ileke. I fink ur hubby needs dinner.
Soyinka just delivered a lecture
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by aspabay(m): 7:46pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^^
Yes he did promised to stay out of politics, but GEJ has made a good move and should be commended.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 03, 2011
aspabay:

^^^
Yes he did promised to stay out of politics, but[b] GEJ has made a good move[/b] and should be commended.

This is where you and I disagree.

werepeLeri:

There is a big difference between making public comments and politics ma.

Oh so there is a defining line that  separates the two? So making political comments is not involving oneself in Politics again?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by werepeLeri: 7:55pm On Oct 03, 2011
How on earth is making comments on public issues the same as playing politics?

I am lost.

So all of us on NairaLand are involved in politics then?

LOL
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

How on earth is making comments on public issues the same as playing politics?

I am lost.

So all of us on NairaLand are involved in politics then?

LOL

Don't be lost, okay. This is what I am here for.
Soyinka was (if ever) a strong factor in Nigeria's politics (You remember his FAILED political Youth group). Since he's still considered a ripple in the water, any comments he makes has a way of indirectly (or directly) affecting politics. He's involving himself with his foolish comments.

If he has nothing better to do, why not simply make is FAILED political Youth group relevant.

Since you're Pro- Puzz y- GEJ, I'm sure you'd agree with Soyinka's "comments".
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by werepeLeri: 8:06pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^^^

LOL.

diverting the issue.

You dont feed me, so, whats your problem if I agree with Soyinka's comment? You have the right to dis agree, while I have the right to agree or not.

The issue is, how is making comment on public issue the same thing as being involved in politics?

No point arguing with some people. Kobojunkie No 2?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

^^^^

LOL.

diverting the issue.

You dont feed me, so, whats your problem if I agree with Soyinka's comment? You have the right to dis agree, while I have the right to agree or not.

The issue is, how is making comment on public issue the same thing as being involved in politics?

No point arguing with some people. Kobojunkie No 2?

Do yourself a favour and read. It costs just $.09 to comprehend tho, hope you can afford it.

Try not to ask me that question again.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by werepeLeri: 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ignore the ignoramus. Na rain wey fall, na im mix eyele with adiye.

Nonsense.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Rhino5dm: 8:32pm On Oct 03, 2011
Dont bother yourself about  WERE.

How about going off topic by telling me how you were able scoop out my pics? cool

Ileke-IdI:

Do yourself a favour and read. It costs just $.09 to comprehend tho, hope you can afford it.

Try not to ask me that question again.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

Ignore the ignoramus. Na rain wey fall, na im mix eyele with adiye.

Nonsese.

I see that you've gotten your answer, but only to comeback with something a child would have coughed up.
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Dont bother yourself about  WERE.

How about going off topic by telling me how you were able scoop out my pics? cool

Classified info. If I divulge that info, even the FBI would be on my azz. lol
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Rhino5dm: 8:39pm On Oct 03, 2011
Keep the secret secret wink

Ileke-IdI:

Classified info. If I divulge that info, even the FBI would be on my azz. lol
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 03, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Keep the secret secret wink

Tele tele nko lol
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by aljharem3: 9:08pm On Oct 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Tele tele nko lol
ileke idi mi how was ur day today ?
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2011
undecided "
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 11:49pm On Oct 03, 2011
A good thread until a 'Nigerian Girl' that doesnt know when to keep shut or pursue an unreasonable argument showed up. The irony of a certified mofo picking on Soyinka! SMH
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 03, 2011
A bad thread until a 'Nigerian Girl' that doesnt know when to let mofos keep jumping like sheep over incompetent Soyinka showed up. The irony of a certified called Soyinka! SMH
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by marvix(m): 6:17am On Oct 04, 2011
I know that before 2015 GEJ will be completely vindicated in the Nigerian political space.
Those who dont like the president will have no choice but to either shut up or take the Abaniwonda option.
Nigeria will come out better by 2015, we will once again have another credible elections with improvement from 2011 elections.
Power will improve, some of us will still remain in darkness but power will improve.
Personally I know that jobs are already been created, with what is going on in the oil sector and the relative peace in the Niger delta our best days truly lie ahead.
I believe in Nigeria and I know that I am part of the future, i choose to sow good seeds and leave a better legacy to my unborn kids
Re: Jonathan Was Right On Libya - Soyinka by cap28: 9:39am On Oct 04, 2011
Hmm looks like soyinka is dancing to the tune of his paymasters over in america, he's obviously afraid to lose his lucrative teaching job in the US hence the pathetic drivel that he is now uttering, they say every man has his price - soyinka comes at a very cheap price - when will this sell out learn to speak in a language that is intelligible to the average nigerian on the street instead of all this bogus impenetrable grammar that he loves to hide under, the man is a coward and traitor.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Removes Fg Workers Allowances / 2023 Polls: NASS Under Pressure To Pass Electoral Act Amendment Bill / Military Begin Rehabilitation, Reintegration Of Fresh 559 Ex-Boko Haram Fighters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.