Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,144 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

What The Bible Says About Marriage - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Marriage (12057 Views)

What The Bible Says About Homosexuality. / What The Bible Says About The Qur'an / Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe About Gay & What The Bible Says About Homosexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by princeabdul(m): 10:56am On Jun 25, 2023
Jokanem:
What Does the Bible Say About Marriage?

After creating the first man and woman, God brought them together in marriage. He instituted marriage as a special bond between a man and a woman as a foundation for the family unit.—Genesis 1:27, 28; 2:18.

God wants married couples to be happy. (Proverbs 5:18) In the Bible, he provides standards for marriage as well as principles that can help a marriage succeed.

What are God’s standards for marriage?
From the beginning, God created marriage to be a union of one man and one woman. (Genesis 2:24) God does not approve of polygamy, homosexual acts, or couples living together without marriage. (1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:3) Jesus taught his followers to adhere to God’s original standard for marriage.—Mark 10:6-8.

In God’s eyes, marriage creates a permanent bond. When a man and a woman get married, they promise to be loyal to each other and to stay together for as long as they are both alive. God expects them to keep that promise.—Mark 10:9.

What about separation and divorce?

There may be times when a husband and wife must be apart from each other, such as when one mate needs to travel to care for a family emergency. But the Bible discourages separation resulting from marital problems. Instead, it urges couples in such a situation to work toward reconciliation.—1 Corinthians 7:10.

Adultery is the only Scriptural grounds for divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if a husband and wife decide to separate or to divorce for any reason other than adultery, neither partner is Scripturally free to date someone else or to remarry.—Matthew 5:32; 1 Corinthians 7:11.

Does a marriage need to be registered legally to be approved by God?

God expects Christians to obey secular laws regarding marriage. (Titus 3:1) When it is possible for a couple to register their marriage legally, their doing so shows respect for secular authorities and for God’s standard that marriage is a lasting commitment. a

What roles and responsibilities does the Bible assign to husbands and wives?

Shared responsibilities. Husbands and wives should treat each other with love and respect. (Ephesians 5:33) They should care for each other’s sexual needs in a loving way and avoid all forms of unfaithfulness. (1 Corinthians 7:3; Hebrews 13:4) If they have children, husbands and wives share the responsibility of raising them.—Proverbs 6:20

The Bible does not discuss in detail how married couples should share secular work and household chores. They can decide together what will work best for their family.

A husband’s role.

The Bible says that “a husband is head of his wife.” (Ephesians 5:23) He is the head in the sense that he should guide his family and make decisions that will benefit his wife and children.

He should strive to ensure that their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs are cared for. (1 Timothy 5:cool He shows that he values his wife’s qualities and capabilities by working closely with her and by carefully considering her opinion and feelings when making decisions. (Proverbs 31:11, 28) The Bible says that a husband ought to care for his responsibilities in a loving way.—Colossians 3:19.

A wife’s role.

The Bible says that a “wife should have deep respect for her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33) God is pleased when a wife respects the role that he assigned to her husband.

Her role is to assist her husband, helping him to make good decisions and supporting his headship. (Genesis 2:18) The Bible speaks highly of a wife who fulfills her important role in marriage.—Proverbs 31:10.

Does God require married couples today to have children?

No. In the past, God commanded some of his worshippers to have children. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1) But Christians are not bound by that instruction. Jesus never commanded his followers to have children. Neither did any of his early disciples say that married couples must have children. Couples can decide for themselves whether they will raise a family.

How can the Bible help your marriage?

The Bible contains principles that can help couples get their marriage off to a good start. Bible principles can also help couples to avoid or overcome difficulties.

Bible principles can help a married couple to . . .

show true love.—1 Corinthians 13:4-7; Colossians 3:14.

deal with differences.—1 Corinthians 10:24.

be good listeners.—James 1:19.

show respect.—Romans 12:10.

be forgiving.—1 Peter 4:8.

be loyal.—Mark 10:9.

be patient.—Ephesians 4:2, 3.

work as a team.—Ecclesiastes 4:9.

strengthen their commitment.—Song of Solomon 8:7.

Regarding the Bible’s view of customary or tribal marriages, see The Watchtower of October 15, 2006, page 21, paragraph 12.

Bible verses about marriage
Proverbs 18:22: “The one who finds a good wife has found something good.”

Meaning: The Bible speaks positively about marriage.

Malachi 2:15: “Do not deal treacherously with the wife of your youth.”

Meaning: God wants husbands and wives to be faithful to each other and to treat each other respectfully, even after many years of marriage.

Mark 10:9: “What God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”

Meaning: God intended for marriage to be a permanent bond of companionship.

Hebrews 13:4: “Let marriage be honorable among all.”

Meaning: Couples should place a high value on their marriage and work hard to protect it.

1 Corinthians 7:28: “Those who [marry] will have tribulation in their flesh.”

Meaning: No marriage is perfect; couples need to work together to overcome challenges.
“ God commanded some of his worshippers to have children. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1) “
So whose teaching are you following God or Jesus ? And what’s the difference between the two ??
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by CheedyJ(m): 10:57am On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
Olodo ...go and check infographics. In fact, check the International stats on divorces cases worldwide. You'll see that you're the one who's delusional
Bro, respect yourself. I didn't insult u with my comment, it was just a civil opinion I expressed , don't throw insult at me. I won't trade words with you ok. Safe

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 10:58am On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

Companionship, bro.

If you can choose right, she will stick to you in your old age and care for you when you are too old to care for yourself.

This is when the relationship you build with her over the years will bear fruit.
You're delusional and in denial of the fact that women only love men on the premise that they provide value . No woman who has leverage will ever, I repeat ever , stick to a man for love or companionship
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Image123(m): 11:01am On Jun 25, 2023
Adultery is not a ground for divorce, fornication is. Get your facts right.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:01am On Jun 25, 2023
If a partner caught another in Adultery and decides to end in divorce. Are they free to remarry? Or is it only the offended that's right to remarry while the offender stays unmarried?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:03am On Jun 25, 2023
Jokanem:

After creating the first man and woman, God brought them together in marriage. He instituted marriage as a special bond between a man and a woman as a foundation for the family unit.—Genesis 1:27, 28; 2:18.

God wants married couples to be happy. (Proverbs 5:18) In the Bible, he provides standards for marriage as well as principles that can help a marriage succeed.

From the beginning, God created marriage to be a union of one man and one woman. (Genesis 2:24) God does not approve of polygamy, homosexual acts, or couples living together without marriage. (1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:3) Jesus taught his followers to adhere to God’s original standard for marriage.—Mark 10:6-8.

In God’s eyes, marriage creates a permanent bond. When a man and a woman get married, they promise to be loyal to each other and to stay together for as long as they are both alive. God expects them to keep that promise.—Mark 10:9.

There may be times when a husband and wife must be apart from each other, such as when one mate needs to travel to care for a family emergency. But the Bible discourages separation resulting from marital problems. Instead, it urges couples in such a situation to work toward reconciliation.—1 Corinthians 7:10.

Adultery is the only Scriptural grounds for divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if a husband and wife decide to separate or to divorce for any reason other than adultery, neither partner is Scripturally free to date someone else or to remarry.—Matthew 5:32; 1 Corinthians 7:11.

God expects Christians to obey secular laws regarding marriage. (Titus 3:1) When it is possible for a couple to register their marriage legally, their doing so shows respect for secular authorities and for God’s standard that marriage is a lasting commitment. a

Shared responsibilities. Husbands and wives should treat each other with love and respect. (Ephesians 5:33) They should care for each other’s sexual needs in a loving way and avoid all forms of unfaithfulness. (1 Corinthians 7:3; Hebrews 13:4) If they have children, husbands and wives share the responsibility of raising them.—Proverbs 6:20

The Bible does not discuss in detail how married couples should share secular work and household chores. They can decide together what will work best for their family.

A husband’s role.

The Bible says that “a husband is head of his wife.” (Ephesians 5:23) He is the head in the sense that he should guide his family and make decisions that will benefit his wife and children.

He should strive to ensure that their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs are cared for. (1 Timothy 5:cool He shows that he values his wife’s qualities and capabilities by working closely with her and by carefully considering her opinion and feelings when making decisions. (Proverbs 31:11, 28) The Bible says that a husband ought to care for his responsibilities in a loving way.—Colossians 3:19.

A wife’s role.

The Bible says that a “wife should have deep respect for her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33) God is pleased when a wife respects the role that he assigned to her husband.

Her role is to assist her husband, helping him to make good decisions and supporting his headship. (Genesis 2:18) The Bible speaks highly of a wife who fulfills her important role in marriage.—Proverbs 31:10.

No. In the past, God commanded some of his worshippers to have children. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1) But Christians are not bound by that instruction. Jesus never commanded his followers to have children. Neither did any of his early disciples say that married couples must have children. Couples can decide for themselves whether they will raise a family.

The Bible contains principles that can help couples get their marriage off to a good start. Bible principles can also help couples to avoid or overcome difficulties.

Regarding the Bible’s view of customary or tribal marriages, see The Watchtower of October 15, 2006, page 21, paragraph 12.

Meaning: God wants husbands and wives to be faithful to each other and to treat each other respectfully, even after many years of marriage.

Meaning: Couples should place a high value on their marriage and work hard to protect it.

Meaning: No marriage is perfect; couples need to work together to overcome challenges.

If God does not want us to have children, what's the relevance of marriage and how do you fulfil the increase and multiply command of God

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:04am On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:
You and your stupid God can go to hell with your stupid rules.... I didn't ask anybody to bring me to this world, I just found myself here. Yet the idiot claims to give people freedom of choice...Why didn't you give me freedom to choose if I wanted to come to this world first?

Wetin de do you, I sure say no man fit help u out
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by tonytony208(m): 11:07am On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
You're delusional and in denial of the fact that women only love men on the premise that they provide value . No woman who has leverage will ever, I repeat ever , stick to a man for love or companionship

Even you, will you love yourself if your life has no value?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by ekerintee: 11:09am On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

Not necessarily
. I think the institution of Marriage is abused in mordern day,Love no longer exist .What we see is women taking advantage of men and vice versa.A situation in which some women see the man as their Provider, some women now marry to secure a future and love is only there if the man has money.If he has none,love vanish.Before some folks will atack me, i said some women and also note some men also marry women for money and beauty, nt true love: We should not hide under christianity to decieve people :Most marriages are destroyed by men of God who preach wrong things on the altar, women no longer have respect for the men and vice versa,some men abuse their wife:personally, i think some people are never destined to be married but such people marry by force and end up destroying the institution of marriage.This people are those who never settle down in marriage , they keep jumping from one marriage to another , some women can never stay under a man because they are proud and its just their nature , no man can tame them, from this women , innocent men must run.Some men also can never keep one woman, the y cant keep a Home, no matter how goo dthe woman is, the man will scatter the Home and move to next woman, from such men run away, they are destroyers
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 11:16am On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

So in essence you're saying love is transactional...? Abi
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Gorgeous1guy(m): 11:17am On Jun 25, 2023
Many of the biblical patriarch did not even marry one wife. No condemnation for those that are polygamist if they can manage it.
Even the most blessed father Abraham tasted his wife's maid and God still relate with him as friend. What of David and co? Even one of the prophets married a confirmed olosho.
While not condemning these rules, it doesn't work for everyone
Choose what works for u (so far u don't choose gay lifestyle which is abomination) and work on it.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Geovanni412(m): 11:18am On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:
You and your stupid God can go to hell with your stupid rules.... I didn't ask anybody to bring me to this world, I just found myself here. Yet the idiot claims to give people freedom of choice...Why didn't you give me freedom to choose if I wanted to come to this world first?

There is no freedom to choose coming into the world but there is freedom to decide you no longer want to be there

The only rules in the world are hope,communication and fighting...

Think of this...

People say that a man's role is to protect and provide for his family

But how can a dwarf protect his family?

Is a dwarf a biological failure who should not reproduce? The answer is No.

The truth is that the dwarf has the hope that he can communicate to people to protect his family.

He has the communication skills to convince people to give him money for the work he does.

Also think on this:

What reason does a poor boy in prison with a homosexual have to not commit suicide?

He is in pains every night but he chooses to stay alive

He has chosen to have hope that if he can talk to the right people, someday, he will escape his terrible existence

That's the way life works

Your job is to have hope, communicate with others, fight to stay alive and die
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by gentlegenius(m): 11:29am On Jun 25, 2023
Emmexguy123:
I don't even know which of the religion is saying the truth.
Christian Bible says marriage is between one man and one woman.

Islamic Koran says one man and 4 wives and even above.

Other religions will as well be saying another things.

How exactly do I know what to do considering the fact that every religion claims to be the major one?
That's a proof that no religion on earth is perfect in the eyes of God.
Religion was created by man; not God. Therefore, it is only normal that every man sees his own religion as the perfect one.
Anything created by man is imperfect and adulterated.
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27).
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Timiskid: 11:31am On Jun 25, 2023
hopefulLandlord:
I'm a Virgin and I'd remain one till I die. I pity these Christians getting married and having sex. the word "Christian" means "Christ-like" which means we are to act like Jesus Christ. Jesus never married, neither did he have sex so any Christian doing otherwise is a sinner

I pity u, so u are indirectly calling ur parent unwise for giving birth to u. Do u think by been a Virgin makes u non-sinner, let me remind u dat some of Jesus Christ disciples were married before they follow Christ. My dear before God institute marriage is not a mistake okay n sex is not a sin wen u do d right thing.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by VULCAN(m): 11:34am On Jun 25, 2023
Lollz. The attention seekers are always so quick to identify themselves.

Check this fellow well and he suffers from self esteem issues and bitterness which arose from too many failures.

Free choice means that you can accept Christ or not by your words and actions.

You will reap the consequence of your decision

When your parents had sex without a condom or birth control, they made a free choice to produce a child.

The fact that you don't blame your parents for their choice but blame God tells me you are also an illogical thinker.

You need emotional, intellectual and spiritual healing.

Jesus can provide that for you.

IF you choose him!

Likoya:

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by erniok(m): 11:34am On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:
Your foolishness is amazing. You really need to blame God to feel alright. Your basic biology should teach you that you were the one so eager to come.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by bluefilm: 11:35am On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:

What a joke! grin grin grin
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Timiskid: 11:38am On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:

I pity u.... becos u don't know wat u are doing
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by CosmicJames(m): 11:41am On Jun 25, 2023
jogsman01:
mad people fool this platform cheesy
Yes. Because the platform is free. Anybody can join and be talking rubbish
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Benwallt(m): 11:44am On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

If it is Mohamed, he won't even knock. He will use force to break the door and use sword and to cut the person into peices.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Hilarious. Spell your 'pieces' very well
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 11:48am On Jun 25, 2023
Gorgeous1guy:
Many of the biblical patriarch did not even marry one wife. No condemnation for those that are polygamist if they can manage it.
Even the most blessed father Abraham tasted his wife's maid and God still relate with him as friend. What of David and co? Even one of the prophets married a confirmed olosho.
While not condemning these rules, it doesn't work for everyone
Choose what works for u (so far u don't choose gay lifestyle which is abomination) and work on it.

The bible describes David's adultery but does it recommend it ? No . So polygamy isnt recommended and besides , all polygamous households in the bible had issues .
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Hanndye: 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2023
Emmexguy123:

Islamic Koran says one man and 4 wives and even above.

How exactly do I know what to do considering the fact that every religion claims to be the major one?
There lies the salvation of your soul: to know the true God.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by kingyakos: 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:

Romans 9:17 (KJV) For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

If what you are saying about God is the very purpose God raised you up, I'm sorry for you.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Abemy(m): 12:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jokanem:

A husband’s role.

A wife’s role.

"

No. In the past, God commanded some of his worshippers to have children. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1) But Christians are not bound by that instruction. Jesus never commanded his followers to have children. Neither did any of his early disciples say that married couples must have children. Couples can decide for themselves whether they will raise a family."

Are you saying Jesus' teachings are different from His father's?

Jesus came to strengthen laws, not to discard them. Remember Jesus doesn't teach anything of His own, everything He thought, he received it from God the father.

Are you trying to tell us that, those God's worshippers, whom God asked to bear children were not married couples but all followers? If yes, is that not indirectly invalidating the ten commandments?

This is the only part of your writeup that is controversial.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by tonytony208(m): 12:29pm On Jun 25, 2023
Benwallt:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Hilarious. Spell your 'pieces' very well
Thank you
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by tonytony208(m): 12:32pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
So in essence you're saying love is transactional...? Abi

A valueless man can't be a good husband or father. So, he doesn't deserve real love from any woman.

Even your male friends won't stick with you if you have no value
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by bukatyne(f): 12:39pm On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

Why bringing a gun to a pillow fight? grin

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by adjoamu: 12:43pm On Jun 25, 2023
Emmexguy123:

Islamic Koran says one man and 4 wives and even above

This is a wrong information. Islam permit a Muslim man to marry a maximum of four and not more.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by phemmyfour: 12:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:
lolz. You're free to choose. The gospel is just giving you the clarity of the consequences of your choice. You're at liberty to decide the direction to go
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
Marriage in this age is scam .

Why is it a scam?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Femi Aribasala On Trinity Doctrine / Why Don't You Eat Before Church? / Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.