Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC (24270 Views)

Disregard Reports Of fuel, diesel pump price adjustments - NNPC / Disregard Reports Of An Indefinite Strike, It Is Not True - NLC / Nigerians To Pay More As FG Approves Tariff Increase For Power Companies, Disco (2) (3) (4)

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by b3llo(m): 4:35pm On Jun 26, 2023
Lies ...
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 4:37pm On Jun 26, 2023
FalseProphet1:
They will still increase it...no be Nigeria again?

This I have seen.

Let us assume you are a baker. Your cost of baking bread is N900 PER LOAF, so you have to sell at N1200 a loaf to make enough profit.

Suddenly due to rise in cost of wheat, flour and transport, cost of baking a loaf of bread goes up to N1800.

Are you telling me that you will still sell at N1200 to 'help the poor'?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by FalseProphet1(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Let us assume you are a baker. Your cost of baking bread is N900 PER LOAF, so you have to sell at N1200 a loaf to make enough profit.

Suddenly due to rise in cost of wheat, flour and transport, cost of baking a loaf of bread goes up to N1800.

Are you telling me that you will still sell at N1200 to 'help the poor'?
Yes I will. smiley

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 4:41pm On Jun 26, 2023
FalseProphet1:

Yes I will. smiley

You are not telling the truth, because you don't want to accept that companies have to raise their charges, because they have to pay things like taxes, staff salaries, etc etc.

It does not always end up in big man pocket.

Well, I predict your bakery would be out of business in months. You cannot run a business at a loss.

Laugh at me, but it is what it is.

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by amp01(m): 4:42pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Are you telling me that as a businessman you will never ever increase prices when the situation demands it eg naira falling in value vs dollar?

Do they import electricity that dollar will affect it?

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 4:43pm On Jun 26, 2023
amp01:

Do they import electricity that dollar will affect it?

They import equipment for fixing power from abroad, and they pay for gas in dollars, because the gas companies insist on being paid in dollars.

Oya, answer my question.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Joshcoli(m): 4:44pm On Jun 26, 2023
Pandev:
Sad news for unfortunate souls. They will still cry over this news, they only wish for bad things because their candidate lost an election woefully

Save this energy to face the reality on ground

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 26, 2023
Several reports as this were debunked in the past the this electricity company,but it turns outs to be true.Within a few days they will announce that they have increased electricity tariffs.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 26, 2023
Pandev:
Sad news for unfortunate souls. They will still cry over this news, they only wish for bad things because their candidate lost an election woefully
How much you dey buy a litre of fuel?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Bluntemperor: 4:50pm On Jun 26, 2023
Scarrr:
Something den don increase already .. I bought 10k worth of unit last night, I was given 97.46....instead of 139.77

Don't mind the Nairaland gaulibles!
The truth is that those DISCOS have nothing to offer Nigerians and are already facing serious backlash from the Masses,so the only thing now is to blame the Social Media and yet,some received these inuendos from Discos as if they are telling truth!
Nothing has changed and is a matter of time before coming back to it!

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Houseontherock1: 4:50pm On Jun 26, 2023
Nigerians should rather disregard this lie from AEDC undecided

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by amp01(m): 4:51pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

They import equipment for fixing power from abroad, and they pay for gas in dollars, because the gas companies insist on being paid in dollars.

Oya, answer my question.

Which equipments are you talking about?
Gas that is produce here in Nigeria,do you buy cooking gas in dollar?the gas company cannot insist they pay in dollar.
Show me proof that the gas is sold to the companies in Dollars.

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 4:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
amp01:

Gas that is produce here in Nigeria,do you buy cooking gas in dollar?the gas company cannot insist they pay in dollar.

In other words, you are afraid to answer my question.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by erai30(m): 4:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
NIGERIA MY COUNTRY, LET US SIT BACK AND WATCH HOW THE MOVIE UNFOLDS.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Bimpe29: 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
Which one is true then?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by mechanics(m): 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
Noted.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by airsaylongcome: 5:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Are you telling me that as a businessman you will never ever increase prices when the situation demands it eg naira falling in value vs dollar?

Sure any business would review pricing based in economic reality. Why is the AEDC denying it though? It's almost a given fact that all EDCs will increase their price from July 1. So their "denial" for just reinforces the fact that pricing will go up. What I don't understand is why Nigerians think "stockpiling" units would inure them from the price hike. If 1Kwh costs say 1 unit and they increase it to 4units would those who have "stockpiled" now not also be impacted?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Ellasure: 5:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
henro4niger:
Every rumor for naija get atom of truth in it, especially when it has to do with what affects the masses. CBN came online to debunk the "rumor" that they floated the naira, only for them to float the same naira just two weeks later.

As for me, I don purchase 50k worth of units, that should take me for the rest of the year, whether they increase the price of unit or not

to a discerning mind, you are definitely part of the rumors mill and the rottenness in Nigeria.

if you have 50k balance bank account you would have japaed .
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 5:07pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Sure any business would review pricing based in economic reality. Why is the AEDC denying it though? It's almost a given fact that all EDCs will increase their price from July 1. So their "denial" for just reinforces the fact that pricing will go up. What I don't understand is why Nigerians think "stockpiling" units would inure them from the price hike. If 1Kwh costs say 1 unit and they increase it to 4units would those who have "stockpiled" now not also be impacted?

So, at the end of the day, DISCOS too have to increase prices.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with complaining about the increase, as it is harsh, but, DISCOS too have to make money to pay suppliers, pay the GENCOS, and pay staff salaries, etc.

Stockpilling means that we delay the rainy day a bit longer..lol.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by grandstar(m): 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
It seems Tinubu developed cold feet.

He does not want it to be seen as one painful reform after the other.

Our power supply may suffer.

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by airsaylongcome: 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

So, at the end of the day, DISCOS too have to increase prices.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with complaining about the increase, as it is harsh, but, DISCOS too have to make money to pay suppliers, pay the GENCOS, and pay staff salaries, etc.

Stockpilling means that we delay the rainy day a bit longer..lol.

Petrol price gone up (with its attendant inflation effect). Electricity going up too. School fees in government uni going up. There is no more hole in the belt to tighten
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by airsaylongcome: 5:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
amp01:

All petroleum product pricing are Dollar denominated sha
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by XY23: 5:13pm On Jun 26, 2023
Revolution2022:
Several reports as this were debunked in the past the this electricity company,but it turns outs to be true.Within a few days they will announce that they have increased electricity tariffs.

Lol. Actually, the real news is that they won't announce it. You'll only notice it when you buy units. It will still happen.

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Petrol price gone up (with its attendant inflation effect). Electricity going up too. School fees in government uni going up. There is no more hole in the belt to tighten

You want them to reduce prices?

The companies have bills to pay. Welcome to the private sector.(of where i have been working since I started employment, where salaries are dependent on what your company earns...).

I noticed you were commenting about Buhari's essenco on another thread. That happened because government tried to be 'nice' and forced traders to sell essential commodites at low prices. The result was scarcity, queues, and violence. Eventually the charade had to end.

Low petrol prices, low electricity prices and even low university prices, are the reason why all these sectors are bad. When you start telling a businessman how much he should charge for X...problems start.

Once upon a time, there were two nations...West and East Germany. East germany had price controls....even house rent was cheap there. Then thw wall came down, and in 4 years, all the east german companies could not compete with the West german companies....and failed, because they were not profitable enough to be innovative enough to defeat the West German companies.

That's why you don't see East German cars like the Trabant anymore.

As much as I want the government to keep prices low, at the end, it is counterproductive.

Meanwhile, I can type this from my house, instead of going to an internet cafe as I would have some 20 years ago, because Obasanjo allowed MTN et al to exploit us and charge what they liked. Profits were made, which attracted investment.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by airsaylongcome: 5:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

You want them to reduce prices?

The companies have bills to pay. Welcome to the private sector.(of where i have been working since I started employment, where salaries are dependent on what your company earns...).

I noticed you were commenting about Buhari's essenco on another thread. That happened because government tried to be 'nice' and forced traders to sell essential commodites at low prices. The result was scarcity, queues, and violence. Eventually the charade had to end.

Low petrol prices, low electricity prices and even low university prices, are the reason why all these sectors are bad. When you start telling a businessman how much he should charge for X...problems start.

Once upon a time, there were two nations...West and East Germany. East germany had price controls....even house rent was cheap there. Then thw wall came down, and in 4 years, all the east german companies could not compete with the West german companies....and failed, because they were not profitable enough to be innovative enough to defeat the West German companies.

That's why you don't see East German cars like the Trabant anymore.

As much as I want the government to keep prices low, at the end, it is counterproductive.

Meanwhile, I can type this from my house, instead of going to an internet cafe as I would have some 20 years ago, because Obasanjo allowed MTN et al to exploit us and charge what they liked. Profits were made, which attracted investment.

So I'm not opposed to the increments. It's what happens in free markets. But the subsidies served a purpose. If electricity was fully available, I wouldn't be to bothered about price hikes of petrol. But alas, we don't have electricity. And believe you me, hike in electricity pricing will not result in a more efficient system. Me I've already acquired a 24 hour solar setup. I don't know the last time I experienced total blackout. But that isn't the case for many other Nigerians.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by dododawa1: 5:23pm On Jun 26, 2023
henro4niger:
Every rumor for naija get atom of truth in it, especially when it has to do with what affects the masses. CBN came online to debunk the "rumor" that they floated the naira, only for them to float the same naira just two weeks later.

As for me, I don purchase 50k worth of units, that should take me for the rest of the year, whether they increase the price of unit or not
money is good in hand not in MIND.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by nairalanda1(m): 5:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

So I'm not opposed to the increments. It's what happens in free markets. But the subsidies served a purpose. If electricity was fully available, I wouldn't be to bothered about price hikes of petrol. But alas, we don't have electricity. And believe you me, hike in electricity pricing will not result in a more efficient system. Me I've already acquired a 24 hour solar setup. I don't know the last time I experienced total blackout. But that isn't the case for many other Nigerians.

You want to know why we do not have electricity? (Note: You don't have to agree with me, and yes, I also believe mismanagement played a role).

1. Artificially low tarrifs...for decades.

2.Over-expansion of the grid beyond its capacity.

3.People not paying...still a problem today.

All the above three meant that our power sector could not earn enough money for years on end, and thus could not fix things. Even with privatization, government still maintained a control on the prices of power.

(A reason why I am not too fond of Buhari: he froze prices of power for 2 years. Naturally, that had a bad effect on the DISCOS...three of them have gone into administration...because debts).

When you do not make a profit because prices have to be kept low 'for the poor'.....don't be surprised when there is limited or no electric power.

This has been on for decades, because Nigerians, government and people, don;t want to accept the fact that power costs money.
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by a4cube: 5:33pm On Jun 26, 2023
Scarrr:
far from it.. try buy units and see
Person that live with em papa dey buy unit?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by a4cube: 5:35pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

AEDC is a private company, not a government run entity. Has been since 2013.
If this is the case why is govt telling the masses about the price increase?
Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by a4cube: 5:37pm On Jun 26, 2023
Revolution2022:
How much you dey buy a litre of fuel?
Person wey dey papa house d buy petrol?

Re: Disregard Reports Of Electricity Tariff Increase - AEDC by Scarrr: 5:39pm On Jun 26, 2023
a4cube:
Person that live with em papa dey buy unit?
mtchew... Speak for ursef😂

FG Approves $403m Loan For 4 APC Governors (lagos, Rivers, Ogun & Osun) / 12 Soldiers Killed In Doka, Kaduna Village / Shehu Sani: It Will Be Unfair To Deny South-West Presidency In 2023

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54