Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd (38357 Views)

See What I Saw In A Church I Visited In South Asia! / Does The Church I Attend Matter? / Timi Dakolo Married In My Church, I Knew Of The Rape-Pastor Yemi Davids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by juliuscaesar(m): 2:43pm On Jul 02, 2023
What about the part of the that says women shouldn't teach/preach and hold silence in public. Now that women are preachers and teachers, does that modernisation not bother you, or are you only bothered by the ones you are uncomfortable with?

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by layzie: 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

A significant number of black people have woken up and liberated from the scam of Abrahamic religion i.e Christianity and islam

If you still practice any of the two Abrahamic religion, its time you wake up and ditch that slave master's history book.

Have you asked yourself with number of churches and mosque in Nigeria and the amount of prayers offered, the country is very backward and not working?

If we can conclude anything, it is that the prayers aren't working.

If the prayers they offer works, Nigeria will be heaven on earth by now considering the number of churches on every inch and corner of Nigeria.

If 80% of the buildings used as worship centers are turned to factories, do you know how much it will contribute to Nigeria's economy?

This doesn't really make any meaningful sense. You have blamed Christianity and Islam for the woes of the country. You also said that a good number of blacks have woken up from the slumber of practicing these 2 religions.
But u fail to link the good number of people that woke up to any real progress anywhere. U also failed to actually link the religions to the woes of the country.
Then u claimed that the religions centres if converted to factories will do a lot of good. I tend to agree, but who will convert them? Did these religions stop anyone from building the factories? Are they actually to blame for the lack of factories?
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 2:45pm On Jul 02, 2023
Why, because she observed her new Church is not organized as She hoped.

I was wondering, which is better. Is it better for God to lead her to the right place, or is it better for her to listen to excited mortals.

AgentNnamdi:

Come back to Catholic Church cool
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Dadimendino: 2:46pm On Jul 02, 2023
isabi2lof:

Y'all are commenting on a Christian thread cos we don't feel oppressed by other religions but you guys thread , someone can't comment freely .

Since you guys preach peace , you should also put it in practice by not commenting on a Christian thread.

W for tenks. undecided undecided

Muslims comments on christian thread constructively. Have you ever seen where Muslims insult Jesus or any Christian prophets in the Bible.

Muslims highly respect Jesus and other prophets mentioned in the bible. But that cannot be said about you guys when on Islamic thread. From Insulting the religion of Islam to calling the Prophet unprintable names. Some even ignorantly insult Allah(God) the creator of all of us
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by maivd: 2:47pm On Jul 02, 2023
Truthday:

Christianity is blood sucking cult. Full of murderers and fool mumu followers LovePeddler just sheep.
You are simply referring to misdirected and shallow Christians...they don't understand what it takes to be committed to Christ...they are still coming up,if you check them in the next 15 to 20years they will be full of fire for God. But you see islam it draws you closer to the devil...the longer you stay in islam the more evil inclined you become. Its a hole the leads to darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19vFLVQqv0
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Mabizeka: 2:49pm On Jul 02, 2023
Reality3080:
church where everything they do can’t b found in d Bible n when u a fellow Christian tell them about it u suddenly become an enemy of Christ

Imagine Christ Embassy chorister( male) dey use earrings n everyone is doing their thing as if it’s normal

Even person wey dey drum( guy ooo) use earrings n they don’t see any big deal about it

I rather stay at home than go to those churches cos it’s obvious there’s nothing like presence of Holy Ghost in there
If it isn't Catholic then I ain't going.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Adakintroy: 2:50pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

A significant number of black people have woken up and liberated from the scam of Abrahamic religion i.e Christianity and islam

If you still practice any of the two Abrahamic religion, its time you wake up and ditch that slave master's history book.

Have you asked yourself with number of churches and mosque in Nigeria and the amount of prayers offered, the country is very backward and not working?

If the prayers they offer works, Nigeria will be heaven on earth by now considering the number of churches on every inch and corner of Nigeria.

If 80% of the buildings used as worship centers are turned to factories, do you know how much it will contribute to Nigeria's economy?

Oga no come naira land come De insult people

Go insult newton, Carl yung, martin Luther. Men like Jordan Peterson and possibly millions of religions doctors and scientist. They are the stupid ones you need to find. We are just the wise followers.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by sotall(m): 2:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
layzie:

This doesn't really make any meaningful sense. You have blamed Christianity and Islam for the woes of the country. You also said that a good number of blacks have woken up from the slumber of practicing these 2 religions.
But u fail to link the good number of people that woke up to any real progress anywhere. U also failed to actually link the religions to the woes of the country.
Then u claimed that the religions centres if converted to factories will do a lot of good. I tend to agree, but who will convert them? Did these religions stop anyone from building the factories? Are they actually to blame for the lack of factories?

Who is going to build the factories and research centers when majority only believe in prayers?

Remember i am emphasizing the word "majority".

For there to be a change, majority has to be re-informed and dissuaded from the way they think.

Those who are supposed to build the factories, research centers and bring about innovation and invention are in the churches and mosques praying.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Reality3080: 2:51pm On Jul 02, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
Countries where people mind their business are the most developed in both human capital and infrastructure.
people like u are d cause of moral decadence we have in our society now cos u believe in mind your business without d implications

When naira marley was promoting no pant n no belt we told u same n u told us to mind our business, many people started noticing the effects when secondary school girls were caught with no pant n they call themselves “no pant girls” n many small boys no longer wear belts n they are packing trousers with their hand to everywhere

Go to any shopping mall n see girls wearing virtually pants n bra everywhere n nobody is saying anything all in d name of mind your business

So it is when people start walking naked that u will understand d level of moral decadence

U might not notice now but just pray u give birth to girls n u will understand that no matter how well u train them society must have impact on them

If girls can confidently wear pants n bra to malls now picture what will happen in d next 10 years
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2023
Because of climate change. grin grin grin.

Hold my hands i will not die of laughter today.

If i can try to advise her, because i am laughing too much, let her keep praying to God and ask the God for direction.

Reality3080:
people like u are d cause of moral decadence we have in our society now cos u believe in mind your business without d implications

When naira marley was promoting no pant n no belt we told u same n u told us to mind our business, many people started noticing the effects when secondary school girls were caught with no pant n they call themselves “no pant girls” n many small boys no longer wear belts n they are packing trousers with their hand to everywhere

Go to any shopping mall n see girls wearing virtually pants n bra everywhere n nobody is saying anything all in d name of mind your business

So it is when people start walking naked that u will understand d level of moral decadence

U might not notice now but just pray u give birth to girls n u will understand that no matter how well u train them society must have impact on them

If girls can confidently wear pants n bra to malls now picture what will happen in d next 10 years

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by JohnBullMySon: 2:54pm On Jul 02, 2023
Nteogwuija:

Wow, so according to u, in a country such as the US where "people mind their business" citizens don't vote during elections, they don't hold their government representatives responsible, they don't render help to fellow citizens, they don't call 911 when there's a robbery attack across the street. They just walk on the streets with their heads focused on a direction like zombies.

Wow, GWR should come read ur post and reward u accordingly.
I'm talking of personal matters dude.

Not when you're physically affected or someone else is. Emphasis on physical.

Someone's style of religion or worship will not physically affect them or anyone else.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Katcall: 2:55pm On Jul 02, 2023
FuckTheMod:

The craziest twist is that, MOST OF THOSE GIRLS ARE WHÓRES AND SOME HAVE BOYFRIENDS THAT THEY CONSTANTLY SERVICE. A FEW OF THE MEMBERS ARE EVEN SLEEPING WITH EACHOTHER...
one came to my house to fellowship, and b4 you know it we were fùcking. I fingered and suck her pussy while she sucked my dick

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by drololaaof: 2:55pm On Jul 02, 2023
It may be one of those students fellowship centers, where anything goes.
That they speak in tongue does not measure their level of spirituality.
Serve your God with pure heart and clean hands
The issue of dress ,if it were overseas countries during winter ,women wear thermal wear and trousers.cover there whole bodies, but during summer their dressing is in moderation.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Adakintroy: 2:56pm On Jul 02, 2023
sotall:
undecided

Oga if science wanted to come first, it would have come first. Even before we wake up to it as consciosue humans. Be enlighten to judge religion emerging first as a natural human infdividual/ social evolution. Real enlightenment is not picking side but understanding.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Adachizzy(f): 2:56pm On Jul 02, 2023
kristian98:
It can never be Catholic Church, Cele or jehova withness
Or Anglican!!

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 2:57pm On Jul 02, 2023
This is why i tend to not like house fellowship. And it was only two of you, imagine. smiley smiley

And it was two Nigerians, alone, grin

And she can have desires and you have desires and the two should not be alone, in the room, simple.

please don't do that again. Honoring God is what counts

Katcall:
one came to my house to fellowship, and b4 you know it we were fùcking. I fingered and suck her pussy while she sucked my dick
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by themanderon: 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2023
Modernization is man's creation. It does not change God who is the ancient of days. He lives outside of time and he has told us to be modest in all our doings. Most of those churches where they do such things do not worship the true God. They just come to church and make noise with their praise and worship then go home feeling absolutely empty.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by thinkmoney(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2023
samuelson06:

I'm a Christian sir, and the Bible is my guide. Let me stress it again, by personal relationship, I mean worshiping God based on your understanding of God with the Bible as your guide, and not because of how others do it or make you do. Meanwhile, there are different stages in the life of a typical Christian. You can't look at someone and begin to judge them when you don't know the level of the person's understanding of the Scripture. Everyone can't reason like you.

The Biblical Moses, John, Jesus, and the rest of them wore something like skirts, gowns, and sandals that appear like female stuff of today. Would you condemn them today? Why condemn others when God doesn't condemn them? By the way, the so-called yahoo yahoo style of dressing is your own definition. You classify their dressing. You are the one referring to it as a sort of yahoo yahoo style of dressing and not God.

There are people who dress like Angels to church but their words and actions that express the position of their heart are evil. Would you say such people are also Christians? On the other hand, those you may see as dressing like yahoo yahoo boys are kind and very clean in their heart towards the things of God, but on the outside, you've judged them because of their dressing. This is the confusion rocking the church today because of Christianity of the senses.

I'm not in any way supporting bad dressing or behavior, but I'm saying, don't judge anyone. Don't see the people in that class as not being good Christians. Don't classify them. Words and actions, which express the position of the heart are the only things one can try to use and say something about another. I use the word try because everyone is subject to change. You'll be shocked that even an evil person can make heaven through a 30 seconds change of mind/heart towards God before their death, but you that have been talking about God all through your life end up in hell because you feel it was about your outward expressions.

Don't allow the actions or words of others influence how you worship God. Like I said earlier, our walk with God is a personal race. If you like, allow people to dictate how you respond to God. That's your business. But one thing you can never know is how those people close their account with God before they transit from this side of life.

cc: Reality3080
I like the way you started that you are regulated by the Bible. The Bible have one message. Our interpretation isn’t the Bible message . We must constantly look at our interpretation and constantly a check and ensures it always in tandem with the Bible. We should even adjust our interpretations in the light of better understanding.
Imports too, the Bible ask us not to Judge.
Those skirt like dress or clothes looking like gowns in those day were the acceptable way of dressing for that time (remember I said in my first reaction that we should be careful about how people judge at a time or age). Still even then, men’s clothing were easily recognizable and differentiated from womens. I am not against trousers as their are trousers that a guy wouldn’t wear without looking odd as people generally at this time recognize it to mean it’s a ladies trousers. In this vein, my associating some particular dressing to yahoo yahoo people it’s not just me it is how the general recognize it at this time...{I had to break}... we shouldn’t pretend like we don’t know this kind of dressing.
Moses was mistaken for an Egyptian by the midianites because of the way he dressed. It was not the personal interpretation of the observers then, people generally then as they would now know how Egyptians dress.
God should be glorified in our conducts as well as clothing. If somebody that dresses ok is bad in character then that person has only scored 50 over 100 it’s the same way has person that dresses badly but has good character
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by frenzy48: 3:00pm On Jul 02, 2023
deyplay:
there are always options, don't be a hypocrite. Incase you don't know, there are alternatives e.g. Deeper life, MFM, Lord's Chosen, CAC etc. This fit into what you are looking for. And stop going to those churches that do or wear such things shikena. But, being the person you are, you won't still go to the churches I mentioned but go to where you can criticise while there are options.
I was invited cos they had a program,,besides ,u could at least be civil in passing your information...
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by JohnBullMySon: 3:00pm On Jul 02, 2023
Reality3080:

Moral decadence from a religious interpretation right?

Why not face the real moral decadence which can be seen in the selfish and bigoted attitude of Nigerians?

There's absolutely no way you can prove that a style of dressing is moral decadence without involving spirituality.

However, you are free to live how you're most comfortable with. Just don't suffocate those who chose the 'wrong' way. This world does not belong to anyone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by kaywhy09(m): 3:02pm On Jul 02, 2023
Darealudeme:
This na Christ Embassy!

Or KingsWord

Or Triumphant

I felt same on my first encounter too grin grin
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by almarthins(m): 3:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
OluwaLina1:
Happy sunday nairalanders.
I moved to a new area(Student area) and decided to attend a nearby church.

These are what I noticed.

-- I was the only one that used scarf.Even the choristers and the female ministers didn't use scarf.

--Almost all the female members are putting on trousers,ladies that put on gowns/skirt are not up to 20%.
I was even surprised that the two female ministers and the female choristers also put on trouser to climb the church alter.

--During prayer intersection,I noticed everybody were praying in tongues and it seems am the only person not filled with the holy spirit to speak in tongues.
Even when we were asked to pray on our offering,people still prayed in tongues.

And it just seems I'm odd among them or is it that am not modernized?

Don't be decieved o!

The great deception is on going. And there will be a great fallen away from the faith.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SaLongs1(m): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
grin So the spirits will understand Berom? OK oo.
chigoziri2403:
It's your first time in the church
Its okay to feel ostracised
With time, you will feel among
Probably buy a few trousers and brush up your queen's English
As for speaking in tongues...... Maybe you learn a foreign language or an indigenous language like efik or birom
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2023
The part that got me laughing is when she wrote all the ladies wore trouser, even the ones on the stage. grin grin grin grin

almarthins:

Don't be decieved o!

The great deception is on going. And there will be a great fallen away from the faith.

1 Like

Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by IyfeNamikaze(m): 3:07pm On Jul 02, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Na wa o, boss... I read your reply hoping you'll give an hint to how to pray aright, so that we don't pray as if we're praying to the gods... Unfortunately, at the end of it all, you didn't even state how to do it right

No offence intended
HAVE you not heard or read about the Lord's prayer? The disciples asked Jesus this same question and he answered them in Mathew Chapter 6 . Verse 5 to 15. Read it and you will know how to pray to God.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by ChikaSunday(m): 3:07pm On Jul 02, 2023
tremilatre:
Unpopular opinion but as far as I am concerned, the church of today is a social gathering, subject to cultures and traditions.
The doctrine on hair cover was a letter to the Corinthian Church who had their own culture (just same way Paul wrote specific letters to the Philipian, Ephesian, Galatian & Thessalonian churches). It may not be applicable in its entirety to The African Church or The European Church with diverse cultures. Its good for edification but not to be followed in a dogmatic manner.
Ironically same chapter mentions the hair as a woman's glory, if today's culture believes in women emancipation, why subject them to the now dated principle of hair covering?

You don't know what are saying dear. Study well and see that he did not talk to them as culture demands but the doctrine of God without adding or subtracting: 1st Corinthians 11: 3-6
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Necessity1: 3:07pm On Jul 02, 2023
OluwaLina1:
Happy sunday nairalanders.
I moved to a new area(Student area) and decided to attend a nearby church.

These are what I noticed.

-- I was the only one that used scarf.Even the choristers and the female ministers didn't use scarf.

--Almost all the female members are putting on trousers,ladies that put on gowns/skirt are not up to 20%.
I was even surprised that the two female ministers and the female choristers also put on trouser to climb the church alter.

--During prayer intersection,I noticed everybody were praying in tongues and it seems am the only person not filled with the holy spirit to speak in tongues.
Even when we were asked to pray on our offering,people still prayed in tongues.

And it just seems I'm odd among them or is it that am not modernized?

My sister, know your stand in faith. God standards superced man's standard and God can never lower His standard because of anyone. The Bible says "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". If you actually know the truth and you failed to do it, it can never set you free. Walking with God entails determination and commitment. You don't belong to that kind of a Church, it is better to move out. Do not rely on man in your walk with God. Look for a Bible believing Church where you can grow your faith. Many are called but few will be chosen. Try and get your acquainted with the book of Jeremiah. God bless you
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Lucifyre: 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
IyfeNamikaze:

This is true. A lot of people don't open their bible actually read it. They just wait for the preachers to read it for them . That's why we're having all these different interpretation of something so simple and straight forward. During the pentecost in Act 2:1-13 the apostles who spoke in tongues had people who were present who could understand what they were saying. And speaking in tongues is a miraculous phenomenon, not something someone just mounts pulpit and start yabbing God knows what. And it is supposed to be an earthly languages for the people of earth to understand. All the times that the Angels spoke to people in the bible, the Angels spoke in language that the receiver would understand ( native language).

Apt bro. Just saw ur prev comment. U hit the nail on the head. 1 chori nthians 12 and 14 further expantiates the whole thing. Its funny, ludicrous and disappointing that its there and a diff thing is being fed to the sheeple.
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Dadimendino: 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
maivd:

Keep lying to yourself islam is satanic. Islamic countries are witnessing mass exodus from islam in unprecedented numbers...your imams are crying all over the world...watch if you doubt me.....stay away from the religion of lies

Only God guide whoever He will to the right path:Quran 28 vs 56. We have seen people who were deeply astrayed like you that are now Muslims.

Have you heard of that South African pastor and his congregation of over hundred thousand who have now found the truth?

I prayed God open your eyes to the truth. And most importantly free your mind for it's not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts: Quran 22:46
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by deyplay: 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2023
frenzy48:
I was invited cos they had a program,,besides ,u could at least be civil in passing your information...
oh! Then why judge just based on first visit. You can't just conclude like that na
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by SeriouslySense(m): 3:10pm On Jul 02, 2023
At least you seem to have some self restraint. But do you understand the Gospel.

And Christianity is not in competition with any religion, even if almost all the world left it, it does not change the good news.

It does not make it any lesser, neither does it diminish the Hope of the Gospel.

People leave religion all the time, because they get tired of being oppressed or they are shocked at certain things, or they have certain convictions. However each person should have the opportunity to choose what they believe.

Your religion, does not even give people the chance to leave it, without the threat of a death sentence. There are cases of such in Iran, Sudan and even Nigeria. Although i think in southern Nigeria, they could leave without been killed or threatened or ostracized.

In Iran people are leaving their religion many are atheist and many are becoming Christians, because the Iranians were very intelligent people and they can reason, so when they recognized the leadership was becoming extreme, they got tired.

Dadimendino:

Only God guide whoever He will to the right path:Quran 28 vs 56. We have seen people who were deeply astrayed like you that are now Muslims.

Have you heard of that South African pastor and his congregation of over hundred thousand who have now found the truth?

I prayed God open your eyes to the truth. And most importantly free your mind for it's not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts: Quran 22:46
Re: Modernization In The Church! I Felt Odd by Monzze: 3:13pm On Jul 02, 2023
if you can't join them, you leave them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

EFCC Church Billboard Spotted In Benin / T.B. Joshua “Delivers” 2 Lesbian Partners During Church Service (Photos) / Dunamis Church Shares Christmas Packages, As Thousands Besiege Glory Dome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.