Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church (7438 Views)

Nigeria's Independence In Pictures / Saraki, Orji Kalu, Lamido Sanusi, Others Celebrate US Independence In Abuja.pics / The Delusion Of Grandeur Of Ahmadu Bello At Independence In 1960 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by aljharem3: 1:52am On Oct 05, 2011
By SAM EYOBOKA and OLAYINKA LATONA

CONTROVERSIAL Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi caused a stir at the Trinity House in Lagos when he presented an award on Professionalism to 92-year old founder of Nigeria’s oldest indigenous accounting firm, Akintola Williams Deloitte.

Mr. Akintola Williams as part activities marking the nation’s 51st independence anniversary.

Sanusi respectfully stood up to usher the elder statesman to the altar which was specially decor-ated in green-white-green in line with the national mood, where he presented the Trinity House Honour Nigeria Awards in commemoration of the 51st independence anniversary.

Thereafter the Kano prince, born on July 31, 1961, the Sudan-trained Islamic cleric stayed through the church programme barely smiling whenever, Pastor Ituah Ighodalo cracks one of those his infectious jokes. The programme was put together by the Trinity House, a church established by upwardly mobile Pastor Ighodalo who is also a chatered accountant.

The objective, according to him, was to recognize Nigerians of high integrity who have exemplified themselves in different fields of human endeavour and who have contributed to the nation’s growth and development and acknow-ledge them as role models for this present and future generation.

This year’s awards were in the areas of leadership, professionalism, industry, philanthropy, and contrib-ution to society and it was not restricted to Nigeria. Recipients included Chief (Dr.) Chris Ogunbanjo (industry), Chief (Mrs.) Opra Mason Benson (Leadership/female role model); Lt. Gen. Theoph-ilus Danjuma (rtd) (phil-anthropy), Mufutau Isah (contribution to society) and former Zambian presi-dent, Dr. Kenneth David Kaunda who was present-ed the African award.

Former presidential aspirant, Mr. Gamaliel Onosode presented the award to Miss Mosumola Ogunbanjo who represented the father; while Mrs. Opral Benson received her award from Pastor Ighodalo’s wife, Mrs. Ibidunni Ighodalo.

The award for philanthropy was presented to the former Defence Minister, Gen. Danjuma by an Ogun State commissioner, Otunba Ashiru who represented his governor, Dr. Ibikunle Amosun but the entire congregation stood up in acknowledgement of the sterling contribution of the members of Disabled Overhead Bridge Sweepers Association) represent-ed by Mufutau Isah.

The gathering of eminent Nigerians gave a standing ovation when Isah, a 42-year old citizen of Ogun State narrated how he came to Lagos and had taken up the task of making Lagos overhead bridges especially the pedestrian ones clean, saying that they have received assistance from some governmental and church organizations.

The last award was pre-sented to Miss Zikiwe Gogo Peters who represen-ted the Zambian ambassador to Nigeria for onward transmission to the former Zambian president, Dr. Kenneth Kaunda. Speaking on behalf of himself, Gen. Danjuma said he was most humbled to be so honoured for his modest contribution in the area of philanthropy, say-ing that he retired from the Nigeria Army rather early at the age of 41 and dis-covered that there were opportunities in the Niger-ian economy.

“I went into business and after some false starts, I started to make money, good money. So good that it was embarrassing. I then thought of how to give back to the society what the nation had given to me.”

“This accusation, you will agree with me, is not without foundation. The very idea if individual foundation to alleviate poverty among citizens began in Turkey where wealthy army generals started the idea of plowing back to the society what the society had given to them,” he added, stressing that the West actually borrowed the idea from Turkey.

Danjuma then urged Pastor Ighodalo and other Christian leaders in the country to begin to feed the less privileged people in the community, and attempt to rid the nation of derelicts who reduce the unemployment rate in the country.

Pastor Ighodalo, in a brief sermon listed some card-inal ingredients of a good leadership to include, holy living, servant leadership, vision, pointing out that there is too much idolatry, sexual promiscuity, corr-uption and lack of sincerity in the country.

“We must begin to do the right things so that Nigeria can be truly transformed. We must resort to the core values our founding fath-ers canvassed,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/sanusi-marks-51st-independence-in-church/
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by maga1: 8:36am On Oct 05, 2011
Hmmmn, :X
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Eforce1: 3:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
smiley
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Blackteeth(m): 5:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
Pretender
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by hercules07: 8:58pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ighodalo and Sanusi both attended the same secondary school, they have been friends for a while.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by dankol: 9:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
Sanusi trying 2 play anoda prank. He wld later tel u trinity house is also in suport of I.B.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by arsenefc: 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2011
hercules07:

Ighodalo and Sanusi both attended the same secondary school, they have been friends for a while.

They both went to KC?

That Ighodalo guy seems to be taking all the VIPs away from RCCG? he is following in TB's footstep?

Very interesting times, I tell ya.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 06, 2011
[size=15pt]Sanusi cannot clear an image of a religious bigot from our minds.[/size]
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Sleekjd(f): 10:29am On Oct 06, 2011
undecided Don't be fooled by Lamido Sanusi, he is such a pretender. Abegii!!!
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by RickyRoss1(m): 10:47am On Oct 06, 2011
IF THIS ABOKI LIKE MAKE HIM SHAKE HANDS WITH THE POPE, WE KNOW THE MOTIVES BEHIND ALL THIS. SANUSI IS JUST A PRETENDER, PERIOD,
HE HAS DONE MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO NIGERIAN ECONOMY, I DONT KNOW WHO EMPLOYED THIS slowpoke,
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by dagboss(m): 10:56am On Oct 06, 2011
Kudos to him though.  For a die hard islamic adherent Jihadist to attend a church service, it means a lot.It could be to placate Xtians for sticking to his gun on Boko Haram Islamic Banking Or better still  maybe BH sent him on Recce to identifiy a suitable location for planting the next Ogbunige in the church premises.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by oladayo042: 11:09am On Oct 06, 2011
Good one Sanusi. I know of muslims who will never set their feet in a church be it a wedding or an award ceremony.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by MeGaStReEt: 11:17am On Oct 06, 2011
Sanusi, this guy na 419
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Ayoobscom(m): 11:24am On Oct 06, 2011
Why are Nigerian xtians  so biased?

I have bested two xtian friends at their wedding both in Catholic and in Reedem church.

I was in the churh i clapped and danced all along,

Sanusi attending a church made him a fair-minded leader and expose the blatant chauvinism in you, its a big shame
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by daywatcher: 11:33am On Oct 06, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

IF THIS ABOKI LIKE MAKE HIM SHAKE HANDS WITH THE POPE, WE KNOW THE MOTIVES BEHIND ALL THIS. SANUSI IS JUST A PRETENDER, PERIOD,
HE HAS DONE MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO NIGERIAN ECONOMY, I DONT KNOW WHO EMPLOYED THIS slowpoke,

He has done more harm than good for our economies, and yet global leaders are queuing to come to Nigeria for trade.

Our banking institutions are becoming less risky.

The Times Finance director of the year

African central banker of the year

The accolades keep coming him for this guy and yet some people cannot forego their deep rooted hatred for anything muslim/northern
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2011
. IF THIS ABOKI LIKE MAKE HIM SHAKE HANDS WITH THE POPE, WE KNOW THE MOTIVES BEHIND ALL THIS. SANUSI IS JUST A PRETENDER, PERIOD,

with this mindset of yours, you will never be .001 percent as great and successful as Sanusi lamido.
was Obasanjo an Hausa man or a Muslim. to your confused self, Sanusi has done more bad to the economy. I wonder what your reaction would have been if he had allowed depositors fund to go down the drain with those banks he rescued. how would you care. you only have like 2,500 Naira in your account.

if only you can read between the lines,  Sanusi is the best thing that has ever happened in the history of CBN. Business  (Economy) can only flourish when the banks are viable. Nigerian banks are stronger and more reliable today than yesterday. kudos to Sanusi.

always use your drugs before logging into Nairaland.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by JahMan1: 12:13pm On Oct 06, 2011
Hmmm! he tried oo.
I guess it is a political gimmick.
Myself can't imagine stepping into a mosque for whatever reason.
Unless the urge is supernatural,in that case I don't have a choice.I have an elder who has done similar thing and the place he worshipped experienced a trun around for Christ after his departure.

I know most people,especially my so called fellow Christians will attack me for intolerance.I had same argument sometime ago and a friend who professed christianity claimed that you cannot tell if a practising muslim who died a muslim won't go to heaven.

I believe even we Christians do not believe the Bible any longer.
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5)". Has this scripture changed? Did it mention Buddha,Mohammed,Guru Maharaji?
Let us preach and pray for our friends and relatives who has missed the only Way,the Truth and the Life, Jesus Christ!
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by maclatunji: 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2011
See bad-belle people. They would rather see him blowing-himself up than see this so that they can call him and his religion names. Shameful bigots!
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by kokoA(m): 12:39pm On Oct 06, 2011
I can't stop liking ( no homo) this guy. He is the best public officer for now by my judgement. Carry go SLS!
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Breeze5000: 12:40pm On Oct 06, 2011
People with little minds is there any law against non Christians attending a church? Sanusi is a fine gentleman and has proved that he is not corrupt, that's all we need from him. First understand Islamic banking before criticizing him. By the way is he planing to steal Nigeria's money with the proposed Islamic banks? I am not a Muslim but I will support anybody that is not corrupt because corrupting is Nigeria's number 1 problem.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Breeze5000: 12:44pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ayoobscom:

Why are Nigerian x[/b]tians  so biased?

I have bested two xtian friends at their wedding both in Catholic and in Reedem church.

I was in the churh i clapped and danced all along,

Sanusi attending a church made him a fair-minded leader and expose the blatant chauvinism in you, its a big shame

It is Christians and not [b]X
-tians, The[b] X[/b] represents the UNKNOWN and our CHRIST is known. having said that. This has noting to do with Christians, but rather people with little minds who think along religious line on everything. Sanusi is a fine, cultured gentleman that is not Corrupt and I applaud him for setting examples
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by kokoA(m): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2011
Breeze5000:

People with little minds is there any law against non Christians attending a church? Sanusi is a fine gentleman and has proved that he is not corrupt, that's all we need from him. First understand Islamic banking before criticizing him. By the way is he planing to steal Nigeria's money with the proposed Islamic banks? I am not a Muslim but I will support anybody that is not corrupt because corrupting is Nigeria's number 1 problem.

Very sensible post!

Nigerians just jump at criticizing anything that has to do with a belief other than theirs, Majority of the people against this dude have nothing concrete to hold against him. Islamic economics is taught everywhere in the world my people! Mind you, I am a full blooded catholic.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by mikeapollo: 1:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
Nigerians like to talk aloud even when they are ignorant of issues. That is one of the problems of this country!

Sanusi Lamido attended Catholic Missionary school at the age of 8, and also attended Kings College in Lagos. So what is  the pretence about him attending a church service?
The issue is Sanusi is strict when it comes to enforcing ethical rules in the banking sector, and he has some welfarist economy lifestyle. He does not believe a thief in govt or business must be pampered, which is what we are used to in Nigeria.
Islamic Banking is for the poor and middle class citizens who do not have the huge collaterals that are being requested by conventional banks
Gani Fawehinmi during his lifetime attended church services and even gave his out daughter in marriage at a church wedding.
Many christians are worse than the muslims they want to criticize or condemn.

Mahatma Ghandi was a great man of love, peace, truth and integrity, He was not a 'christian' but he was incarcerated, imprisoned and punished unjustly by so called 'christians'  for displaying 'real christian' virtues. HYPOCRITES!

No wonder he had to make the statement,  'if not for christians the whole world would be christian'
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by baabaa: 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2011
SLS is a prolific banker,he has been able to distinquished himself as an advocate of a corrupt free society.We sholud give kudos for him and his team for managing the crisis in the banking industry.My only advice for him is that he should try and manage situations more maturely in future especially when it has to do with things that concerns many stakeholders.

Attending church function has not make a less muslim and i believe he was part of that church function in good faith.How will you preach the gospel if you dont interact with the muslims?
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by gaakgaba: 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
All i know is that i will never directly or indirectly support corruption.No way. Please use your head. Anybody who is against sanusi is also supporting corruption. Shikenna.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Sagamite(m): 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2011
chipmunkey:

[size=15pt]Sanusi cannot clear an image of a religious bigot from our minds.[/size]

Blackteeth:

Pretender

Sleekjd:

undecided Don't be fooled by Lamido Sanusi, he is such a pretender. Abegii!!!

Ricky_Ross:

How is he a religious bigot and what makes him a pretender?
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by kokoA(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
Sagamite:

How is he a religious bigot and what makes him a pretender?

Help me ask dem o
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Ayowumie(m): 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2011
I love Sanusi. He has the kind of mind set that is necessary to lift this nation out of the woods. How i wish he was the president of this country. He is religiously tolerant. U doubt that? Check his history and the kind of he went. I primary and secondary schools. And the kind of people he befriends. Also watch out for what he says. He is better than most Nigerians on nairaland.
Jah Man:

Hmmm! he tried oo.
I guess it is a political gimmick.
Myself can't imagine stepping into a mosque for whatever reason.
Unless the urge is supernatural,in that case I don't have a choice.I have an elder who has done similar thing and the place he worshipped experienced a trun around for Christ after his departure.

Yes, i believe you, it could be political. But yes it is a good political move to tell most Nigerians that are religiously biased (C.A.N. and co) that he has nothing against anybody's religion.
Ricky_Ross:

When i think of people like you, i cant help but weep for the future of this country. With your likes, the future for Nigeria is bleak and gloomy.

MeGaStReEt:

Sanusi, this guy na 419
He could be, but am sure he is a good 419. I can bet my money on that.

Blackteeth:

Pretender
May I ask, how?

chipmunkey:

From your mind and not our minds. You sound more like a religious bigot than Sanusi, because you sound more protective of your 'religion' so, i think you are an hypocrite. Look at your post yourself and judge. "He who has no sin, let him the first to cast a stone". I guess you are familiar with that statement.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by nagoma(m): 4:06pm On Oct 06, 2011
« #10 on: Today at 10:56:34 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos to him though.  For a die hard islamic adherent Jihadist to attend a church service, it means a lot.It could be to placate Xtians for sticking to his gun on Boko Haram Islamic Banking Or better still  maybe BH sent him on Recce to identifiy a suitable location for planting the next Ogbunige in the church premises.

Or may be you are the die hard adherent and extremist who joined the bandwagon of smear campaign and name calling for a person you dont know and only learnt to hate.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by hercules07: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
Ighodalo was called and soothed by a lot of muslims when he was booted out of RCCG, infact, Aderinokun was going to give him the money for a plot of land before he died, the people that comforted him most were muslims, only one pastor from RCCG backed him.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by realsemaj: 8:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
I'm sure his boko haram brothers will be waiting for him at home to give him 20 strokes of blala for openly disgracing islam.
Re: Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church by Beaf1: 9:53pm On Oct 06, 2011
realsemaj:

I'm sure his boko haram brothers will be waiting for him at home to give him 20 strokes of blala for openly disgracing islam.
grin grin

You are a joke! Btw it's called bulala.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law / Taraba Deputy Governor Empowered As Acting Governor / Breaking News About Buhari!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.