Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! (12612 Views)

Technological Solutions For Traffic In Lagos / AUN Yola Generates 55% Of All Google Traffic In Nigeria? / Real Time Internet Traffic Statistics For Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by arsenefc: 2:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
AUN has the potential to become the best in the country, I think!
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
arsenefc:

AUN has the potential to become the best in the country, I think!

Hmm, funny coming from someone that posted these

arsenefc:

Yeah, I hope it happens, Again.

Remember Biafra. I am hoping and praying for another Biafra. I am sick of the lazy, dirty, stupiddddd Ibos. They need to be wiped off Naija's map.

Then deleted the post about killing his best friend who happens to be Igbo

Well, like you said

arsenefc:

This life is funny. Most times, rightly so, whatever we wish unto others end up happening to us, our close ones and relatives.

I wish you the best,
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Lantean(m): 3:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
YOU WISH tongue
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by VALIDATOR: 3:04pm On Oct 05, 2011
If all the students just stay online and watch high bandwidth consuming HD porrn 24/7,they still won't be able to consume as much as half of Lagos.
By the way the statement is ambiguous.What do they mean by "55% of internet traffic from Nigeria". What is Nigeria's daily bandwidth consumption.What is 55% of it?

Let's use this small math to show that what they are saying is impossible:

If each AUN student stay online all day (86,400 seconds) and uses high speed broadband 1.3mbps,the 2,000 students will consume
86,400 *1.3*2,000=224,640,000 mb

Now,let's assume the rest Nigeria has low speed internet connection,say 50kbps (0.05mbps) and just 1 million people  use it for just 4 hours(4* 3,600seconds),our consumption will be
0.05* 4*3600*1,000,000=720,000,000 mb
224,640,000 is obviously less than 55% 720,000,000 and of course i was being generous by assuming that all their 2,000 students are online 24/7 and only 1 million Nigerians are online only 4 hours per day and restricted to low speed internet.

Therefore, the said report of AUN using 55% of Nigeria's internet traffic is FALSE.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2011
VALIDATOR:

If all the students just stay online and watch high bandwidth consuming HD porrn 24/7,they still won't be able to consume as much as half of Lagos.
By the way the statement is ambiguous.What do they mean by "55% of internet traffic from Nigeria". What is Nigeria's daily bandwidth consumption.What is 55% of it?

Let's use this small math to show that what they are saying is impossible:

If each AUN student stay online all day (86,400 seconds) and uses high speed broadband 1.3mbps,the 2,000 students will consume
86,400 *1.3*2,000=224,640,000 mb

Now,let's assume the rest Nigeria has low speed internet connection,say 50kbps (0.05mbps) and just 1 million people  use it for just 4 hours(4* 3,600seconds),our consumption will be
0.05* 4*3600*1,000,000=720,000,000 mb
224,640,000 is obviously less than 55% 720,000,000 and of course i was being generous by assuming that all their 2,000 students are online 24/7 and only 1 million Nigerians are online only 4 hours per day and restricted to low speed internet.

Therefore, the said report of AUN using 55% of Nigeria's internet traffic is FALSE.

Lol, indeed you are the VALIDATOR

Although I think 50kbps should be 0.005mbps
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 3:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
Lantean:

Regardless of the bandwidth they've got, I bet this is an attempt to make name for AUN.[/b]

Cos i don't see how ONE university can beat the degree of presence of the THOUSANDS of Internet cafes in Lagos alone, [/b]not to talk of an [b]ENTIRE country.

GET REAL DUDE tongue

Well, I would approach this in another manner. I have reservations about this statement, but my open mind tells me it is possible.

Let's take a moment to consider the below:

1. 98% of multinationals in Nigeria are actually connected through their home networks and are therefore not counted as Nigeria's traffic.
2. Almost all the cyber cafe's to work around the limitations posed on Nigeria, uses an external Proxy Server
3. The Mobile Internet providers also have some of their services running out of their home countries.
4.  As of now, to the best of my personal knowledge, ONLY IPNX, DOPC and SWIFT are registered as ISPs domiciled in Nigeria, thus any other traffic would not register as coming from Nigeria.

If you look at the scenarios posted above, it is very much possible that they would account for a large chunk of traffic if they are correctly identified as originating from Nigeria.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
Nice one @VALIDATOR!
The post is just ridiculous.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by mathskill: 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
BizBooks:

I find this statement hard to believe. I manage a small website and in the past 2 weeks, here is my traffic statistics as compiled by Google:

1. Lagos - 1770
2. Abuja - 1298
3. Port Harcourt - 217
4. Warri - 43
5. Zaria - 40
6. Kano - 28
7. Kaduna - 25
8. Ibadan - 22
9. Jos - 16
10. Nsukka - 9

I understand that American University of Nigeria is in Yola. As you can see, Yola is not even on this list. May be we are missing something from the article.
Are you now suggesting there is no internet traffic from yola at all?
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 05, 2011
mathskill:

Are you now suggesting there is no internet traffic from yola at all?

I tire for the guy. The guy just 1 advertise im site. Wetin remain na for am to post the link. Imagine hits from Lagos na 1770, and you wan make we use am validate Google result?
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2011
@Mathskill, ofcos you know that's not what he means, use ur common logic bro cheesy, or else you run the risk of sounding like the "google people" that claim AUN pulls 55% of the internet traffic, which i'm sure u dont need any proof to know thats outright false, unless the "internet traffic" means something else which i would be glad if the google spokes person or anyone in this forum can clear for us
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by zaikiinc: 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
I tend to believe this story, considering the fact that the entire premises of AUN and its immediate environs are active WI-FI hot spot with very fast internet connectivity. On the other hand, the experience with most local internet providers is nothing to write home about. They are usually very slow and hard to connect if you are able to connect at all. The bandwidths are usually very congested. Besides, Google officials are not likely to jeopardize Google’s integrity by conniving with anyone to produce a false claim such as this one.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2011
big_sean:

@Mathskill, ofcos you know that's not what he means, use your common logic bro cheesy, or else you run the risk of sounding like the "google people" that claim AUN pulls 55% of the internet traffic, which i'm sure u dont need any proof to know thats outright false, unless the "internet traffic" means something else which i would be glad if the google spokes person or anyone in this forum can clear for us

You could look at my post above yours for a possibility of how it could be true. Do not be too hasty to throw everything away.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by awesomet1(m): 3:41pm On Oct 05, 2011
I Lecture in the University and I found the stat very hard to believe . Though most of our correspondence is done over the internet, it's still mind boggling that AUN beats the whole of Lagos in terms of internet traffic. If it's true, then its AMAZING! As a matter of fact, Google did come to visit the campus. They discussed more about their products, cloud computing and how they would like to partner with the University.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2011
Akainzo:

You could look at my post above yours for a possibility of how it could be true. Do not be too hasty to throw everything away.
just seen your post and even though your given assumptions make alot of sense, u would agree with me, that ur point off view is still a very hard sell
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by ispeaktrut: 3:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
I am amazed at the ignorance displayed on the internet every time and mainly by my dear Nigerians! Why are you guys so quick to write off this claim? Consider these facts
1. The university is the ONLY university in Nigeria that has wireless internet EVERYWHERE on campus.
2. Aside from school work, the students use the internet for various sorts of entertainment such as Facebook, Twitter and the rest.
3. Not only does every student and teacher have a laptop, they have phones and gadgets that allow them to surf whenever, wherever.
4. Exams in the school are sometimes conducted online.
5. Students check their grades and coursework progress using an online website called Banner, created and maintained by some of the students themselves!
6. Ever heard of "Turn It In"? It's a program the lecturers use to check students' essays to ensure they do not plagiarize (cheat).
7. Some classes require you to turn in your papers in both hard copy and soft copy (lecturer's email)
8. The internet in this school is 24/7.
9. Yola is a rather boring town and it is easy for students to spend all their recreational time ONLINE!!! I did it in my time.
10. The school's email facility is Google-based and Google has actually visited to discuss a partnership with the university!

Now, do you guys still think this claim is far-fetched? And I am a graduate of the university so I know what I'm talking about!

Have a blessed day.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by obiflex: 3:53pm On Oct 05, 2011
the question we should be asking is; what is the state of the infrastrure for internet in the school? How fast is the internet there? What do the staff & students do with the internet? If what they do is mostly high bandwidth consuming stuff like live video streaming, video conferencing, cloud computing, HD video downloads, gaming etc and all at no cost to the students then its possible. Remember every student is given a laptop upon admission, If you give such to any group of nigerian youths, eh! I leave you to imagine the rest.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Ayowumie(m): 4:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
Some many people are missing something here. It didnt say internet traffick per se but internet traffic as it relates to GOOGLE INTERNET SEARCH ENGINE.

Even with this i doubt it cos i was once in the school for free browsing. I guess it is possible if all the students have microchip attached to their brain and which directly connected to google search engine as default.

To be more serious, IT IS POSSIBLE.
How many people are using internet through national bandwidth, believe you me, the number of such people is highly insignificant. Many of us are GSG or CDMA modems, all these dont count for Nigerian bandwidth cos IP address of most of them are routed from their country of origin
Is there still anybody with an iota of doubt?

Akainzo:

Well, I would approach this in another manner. I have reservations about this statement, but my open mind tells me it is possible.

1. 98% of multinationals in Nigeria are actually connected through their home networks and are therefore not counted as Nigeria's traffic.
2. Almost all the cyber cafe's to work around the limitations posed on Nigeria, uses an external Proxy Server
3. The Mobile Internet providers also have some of their services running out of their home countries.
4.  As of now, to the best of my personal knowledge, ONLY IPNX, DOPC and SWIFT are registered as ISPs domiciled in Nigeria, thus any other traffic would not register as coming from Nigeria.

If you look at the scenarios posted above, it is very much possible that they would account for a large chunk of traffic if they are correctly identified as originating from Nigeria.
Thank you
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 4:15pm On Oct 05, 2011
big_sean:

just seen your post and even though your given assumptions make alot of sense, u would agree with me, that your point off view is still a very hard sell

A hard sell, sure; But a possibility- Yes.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Ben13: 4:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
Rubbish!!!! How true is this? Lol Google is this another way of advertising?
I think we are OK with Google ads. . you can continue!! grin grin
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Orikinla(m): 4:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
Nigerians lie to get away with anything.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Ben13: 4:22pm On Oct 05, 2011
ispeaktrut:

I am amazed at the ignorance displayed on the internet every time and mainly by my dear Nigerians! Why are you guys so quick to write off this claim? Consider these facts
1. The university is the ONLY university in Nigeria that has wireless internet EVERYWHERE on campus.
2. Aside from school work, the students use the internet for various sorts of entertainment such as Facebook, Twitter and the rest.
3. Not only does every student and teacher have a laptop, they have phones and gadgets that allow them to surf whenever, wherever.
5. Students check their grades and coursework progress using an online website called Banner, created and maintained by some of the students themselves!
6. Ever heard of "Turn It In"? It's a program the lecturers use to check students' essays to ensure they do not plagiarize (cheat).
7. Some classes require you to turn in your papers in both hard copy and soft copy (lecturer's email)
9. Yola is a rather boring town and it is easy for students to spend all their recreational time ONLINE!!! I did it in my time.
10. The school's email facility is Google-based and Google has actually visited to discuss a partnership with the university!

Now, do you guys still think this claim is far-fetched? And I am a graduate of the university so I know what I'm talking about!

Have a blessed day.

I think this in addition to the post below justifies the claim. wink

Akainzo:

Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 05, 2011
publicity stunt
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by chakaz(m): 5:34pm On Oct 05, 2011
Greatest lie of the millenium! Even if all their courses is only; Google 101, 201, 301 etc!
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by deadie(m): 5:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
F'ing impossible.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by bigsean(m): 5:58pm On Oct 05, 2011
chakaz:

Greatest lie of the millenium! Even if all their courses is only; Google 101, 201, 301 etc!
I'm more inclined to this quote above.

Yea, yea, @ispeaktrut and @akainzo do have very very strong points, but those points show good reasons for google to partner with the school and not enough reason to be hyperbolic in their statement about "55% of internet traffic in Nigeria". Thats just Myopic in my opinion.
Do u have an idea the internet traffic volume in ordinary local benin city "u wan try boyz grin"
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by mbulela: 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2011
i always thoughtthat schol was a joke.
this comment just confirmed it.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by abelian: 6:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
ispeaktrut:

Have a blessed day.

SMH at the bolded
Nigerians and there assumptions how many universities have you been to?
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 7:01pm On Oct 05, 2011
big_sean:

I'm more inclined to this quote above.

Yea, yea, @ispeaktrut and @akainzo do have very very strong points, but those points show  good reasons for google to partner with the school and not enough reason  to be hyperbolic in their statement about "55% of internet traffic in Nigeria". Thats just Myopic in my opinion.
Do u have an idea the internet traffic volume in ordinary local benin city   "u wan try boyz grin"

OK, let me give you an analogy, until the Naira denominated Mastercard/Visa cards came into Nigeria late last year, records would show that online purchases in Nigeria was non-existent though the reality was that thousands were shopping online but they had their cards registered to US or somewhere else.

Should Mastercard now say they had only dozens of users in Nigeria, you might want to disagree due to what you see however, they would be factually correct since those cards were not Nigerian registered.

The same for internet use in Nigeria. Go to many a cybercafe and browse to "google.com", you'd notice that it does not default to the "google.com.ng" site which would indicate that it identifies you as traffic coming from Nigeria.

Once you are not directed to the Nigerian site, your traffic is being counted as being from somewhere else. Like I said with many multinationals using their home country and proxy servers, most of the traffic in Nigeria is not accounted for the nation.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by tunde300us(m): 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
If this claim is 1/100th of a truth then students in that school must have their brains checked for virus  grin

Secondly i cant believe that some ppl on NL here will believe such madness.Pls take a second and imagine the mumu talk of multinationals routing their IP from their host country and some NL ppl re quoting such .

What is the total bandwidth that the school has ? say dem mad reach na STM1 (161MBPS) and just a small ISP like mobitel that just started yesterday has almost STM16 which is way *4 of STM1.

And who says that school is the only school with total wifi coverage is still living in the stone ages where ppl are told that africans live on trees and he believes it.Go to schools like UNILAG,OAU,UI and u will see wifi almost everywhere (necessary) it is one thing to have total wifi and another to have wifi in useless places like in the zoo at UI for example.

Even if there is wifi, does it have internet connected to it all the time ? if u are a wifi person u will undastand that there are periods of the day when you loose internet connectivity to some of your radios and yet there is wifi oh.

Nigerians will believe anything cos its from google.Maybe sanusi will tell us tomorrow that 55% of all money transaction is from maiduguri and yet some ppl here on NL will believe it and starting mumu postulation about how alqaeda has brought money to maiduguri and now 55% of moni transaction is now from there  grin
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
abelian:

SMH at the bolded
Nigerians and there assumptions how many universities have you been to?

Would you care.to share which other Nigerian university has campus wide Wireless Internet coverage.
Re: Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria! by Akainzo(m): 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
tunde300us:

If this claim is 1/100th of a truth then students in that school must have their brains checked for virus  grin

Secondly i cant believe that some ppl on NL here will believe such madness.Pls take a second and imagine the mumu talk of multinationals routing their IP from their host country and some NL ppl re quoting such .

What is the total bandwidth that the school has ? say dem mad reach na STM1 (161MBPS) and just a small ISP like mobitel that just started yesterday has almost STM16 which is way *4 of STM1.

And who says that school is the only school with total wifi coverage is still living in the stone ages where ppl are told that africans live on trees and he believes it.Go to schools like UNILAG,OAU,UI and u will see wifi almost everywhere (necessary) it is one thing to have total wifi and another to have wifi in useless places like in the zoo at UI for example.

Even if there is wifi, does it have internet connected to it all the time ? if u are a wifi person u will undastand that there are periods of the day when you loose internet connectivity to some of your radios and yet there is wifi oh.

Nigerians will believe anything cos its from google.Maybe sanusi will tell us tomorrow that 55% of all money transaction is from maiduguri and yet some ppl here on NL will believe it and starting mumu postulation about how alqaeda has brought money to maiduguri and now 55% of moni transaction is now from there  grin

My guy I posted that multinationals use internet from their home countries, and if you are in doubt, find a friend in any of them to get educated. Lack of knowledge is not an excuse for doubts.

I am a Unilag Computer Science alumni, so stop tripping as Unilag does not have a campus wide Wireless coverage. You can do some small research to understand what a campus wide wireless coverage is.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Bill Gates Condemns iPad, Says Lots Of Users Are Frustrated" / Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker / Wiring Circuit Diagram For Inverter, Grid And Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.