Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye (14191 Views)

Atiku Misled The Public On Muslim-Muslim Ticket - Woye / South-West Governors, Senators, Reps Insist On 5% For Host Communities / Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by nlfpmod: 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2023
My take on 5% telecommunications excise duty suspension approval:

Recall Past FG not Buhari signed finance Bill 2020 into law on 31st December, 2020 with a commencement date of Jan 1,2021.

The act includes: Introduction of excise duty on telecommunication at a rate to be prescribed by the President.

In 2022: Finance Bill signed into law by past FG not Buhari included 5% on excise duty on telecommunication sector.

The Circular dated April 20, 2023 signed by Past Finance Minister Zainab Ahmed.

Circular: Approval for the implementation of the Fiscal Policy Measures and Tariff Amendments. 5% telecoms tax was Gazetted No 88, Vol 109 of 11 May,2022 was approved by FG not Buhari.

Back to @ProfIsaPantami, in March 2023, The Hardworking past Minister announced that govt had exempted telecom from the 5% excise duty.

Question: did the approval of Pantami reflect in the GAZETTE (force of law) issued by HMF Zainab Ahmed? The answer is NO.

Question: can the Minister or President suspends the section of the Finance Act? Yes but for a period. If he feels otherwise, he must go back to NASS for amendment.

Conclusion: HM Pantami did not follow up his approval to reflect his 5% suspension by LAW. Approval is different from an act of National Assembly and GAZETTE.

He obtained a mere administrative approval. But, PANTAMI should be HAPPY that his desire approval by suspending 5% excise duty on telecommunications has now been reflected by FG not Tinubu.

Law is law. Law is higher than administrative approval.

So, Pantami should rejoice too. Tinubu must also GAZETTE this SUSPENSION so that it will not be like Pantami’s route. It is a win win situation.

The ultimate goal is telecoms smiling. I so submit. Time for golf.

https://twitter.com/woye1/status/1676992038468739072?t=k2w8kCRDOgmdUIibWUUkEA&s=08

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Zupay: 5:51pm On Jul 06, 2023
The date of implementation was just moved.

5 Likes

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by incandescentena: 5:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
" My fellow Tailors, Idan has Landed" tongue

This line above is still paining some people. They are Seriously in severe pains grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Mase2020g(m): 5:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
Bleep them

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by sukkot: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
grin
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
We vividly remember the background to this Tax thing few years ago.
In an effort to entrench a robust and efficient tax system in Nigeria, the National Tax Policy (NTP) was first published in 2012.
Four years later, former Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun, in 2016, set up a committee to review the policy to accommodate new strategies that will complement the government’s objectives of creating an enabling business environment and simple tax system.

The 2017 NTP prescribes a minimum of 90 days’ notice from the government to tax-payers before any tax changes can take effect, but it still needs to be complied with.

However, both the Finance Act 2023 and the Customs, Excise Tariff Order 2023 did not give the required minimum notice period, thus putting businesses in violation of the new tax regime even before the changes were gazetted.

Our Final take for now,
Indeed, the intentions behind upward adjustments of some of these taxes are quite noble.
Below are few policies that have been made so far by Our LEADER,

Reduced tax burden: The Executive Orders alleviate the tax burden on businesses and individuals by deferring the commencement date of tax changes and suspending certain taxes, providing financial relief.

Enhanced compliance: Clear guidelines and extended effective dates of tax changes promote compliance among taxpayers, as they have a better understanding of their obligations and deadlines.

Economic stability: Suspension of certain taxes on telecommunication services and locally manufactured products stabilizes prices, contributing to a more predictable business environment and consumer market.

They were designed to raise revenue and address environmental and health issues.
The government just need to make sure that the masses benefit from all these, we need to ease the suffering of the masses,
as it is being seen in saner climes abroad.

#NoPainNoGain

Slow and steady, this darling nation of ours will work again.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by NewNg1: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
Distractions... Yesterday's PEPT case was a hit..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by bigdammyj: 5:55pm On Jul 06, 2023
Noted.
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by ThierryJay: 5:55pm On Jul 06, 2023
Exactly. In the law that was signed by Buhari on 28 May, the 5% telecomms excise tax was still in there. So this means the much publicized exemption did not come into effect.

This executive order has now given effect to it. Whether till 1 September or further notice, that is a matter of legal interpretation.

4 Likes

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Urheadmaster(m): 5:55pm On Jul 06, 2023
Seconded tongue
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by CodeTemplar: 5:55pm On Jul 06, 2023
They are taxing basics of survival just to get to the wider masses. That's wrong and a shortcut to raising money from within. Tax luxury and watch demand for import of those luxurous goods decrease thereby easing the craze for forex and strengthening of Naira.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by sholay4star: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
Hmmm
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Utsmandanfodio: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
President Tinubu is just doing the needful!

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by helinues: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
Implementations of the bill is the real koko
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by datopaper(m): 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
Nigeria must work
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by dondodo: 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2023
Like if you believe obi is coming to reclaim our

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Afonjacoward: 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2023
Who be this yeye Woye

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2023
Dont sleep yet.It is a suspended tax.
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by helinues: 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2023
dondodo:

Cummin inside Margaret bah?

undecided

5 Likes

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by OkayDaddy: 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2023
NewNg1:
Distractions... Yesterday's PEPT case was a hit..

What about Kanu's trial. Has he been forgotten in jail till when Obi loses and that's when he will be remembered?

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by yhemsy62(m): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2023
Uncle Woye always shed lights on issues like this so that the confused can be cleared of their confusion

3 Likes

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by obembet(f): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2023
dondodo:

Most f----o-ish person on nairaland

4 Likes

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by qtechomo(m): 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2023
Good move

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by ecolime(m): 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2023
Stop choking the poor. Let them breathe cry

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Primusinterpares(m): 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2023
Our leaders have no idea about economy...

Tinubu Idea is to tax the masses to stupor...

That's how he became rich. Ask Lagos

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by OLOKOESHIN: 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2023
Why 9mobile is misbehaving everywhere

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by LandMann: 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
Tinubu is starting to disappoint. Tax the rich if you must tax and leave the poor masses alone from your tax madness. Only lazy governments really heavily on tax. Tinubu, are you lazy?

Saudi Arabia that is oil rich like Nigeria does not impose personal income tax, yet they're doing well.

Tinubu, block corruption, leakage and overbloated federal civil service.
Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by BrownSugq: 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2023
Recycling and re-signing bills that has already been signed by Buhari.
Scammers!!

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Razy75g: 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2023
post=124256953:
We vividly remember the background to this Tax thing few years ago.
In an effort to entrench a robust and efficient tax system in Nigeria, the National Tax Policy (NTP) was first published in 2012.
Four years later, former Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun, in 2016, set up a committee to review the policy to accommodate new strategies that will complement the government’s objectives of creating an enabling business environment and simple tax system.

The 2017 NTP prescribes a minimum of 90 days’ notice from the government to tax-payers before any tax changes can take effect, but it still needs to be complied with.

However, both the Finance Act 2023 and the Customs, Excise Tariff Order 2023 did not give the required minimum notice period, thus putting businesses in violation of the new tax regime even before the changes were gazetted.

Our Final take for now,
Indeed, the intentions behind upward adjustments of some of these taxes are quite noble.
Below are few policies that have been made so far by Our LEADER,

Reduced tax burden: The Executive Orders alleviate the tax burden on businesses and individuals by deferring the commencement date of tax changes and suspending certain taxes, providing financial relief.

Enhanced compliance: Clear guidelines and extended effective dates of tax changes promote compliance among taxpayers, as they have a better understanding of their obligations and deadlines.

Economic stability: Suspension of certain taxes on telecommunication services and locally manufactured products stabilizes prices, contributing to a more predictable business environment and consumer market.

They were designed to raise revenue and address environmental and health issues.
The government just need to make sure that the masses benefit from all these, we need to ease the suffering of the masses,
as it is being seen in saner climes abroad.

#NoPainNoGain

Slow and steady, this darling nation of ours will work again.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬
please just STFU

1 Like

Re: My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye by Kukutenla: 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2023
Razy75g:
please just STFU
I tell you

A non-binary zombie spewing trash
Someone who should hide in shame after snorting darling daddy for 8 years like a pig, he wants to take over Tinubu's ass too

He even went and copied from another zombie running a Bush radio. Very shameless fellow with low iq

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Senators Are Paid Better Than US Presidents / Is Sanusi Still Better Than Soludo? / Fayose Harbours Thugs In Government House Who Rob And Kidnap At Night – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.