Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,646 members, 7,813,168 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ (22485 Views)

FHA Demolition: Tears, Grief As Abule Ado Landlords Count Losses / "No More Sit At Home"—Enugu Residents Protest Against Criminals Enforcing It / Enugu Residents Cannot Bath Due To Water Scarcity: Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by EcoBrick: 7:50am On Jul 12, 2023

“Denying me what to eat for seven days is nothing but wickedness.”

Residents of Enugu State have lamented the negative impact of the frequent sit-at-home order by non-state actors in the South-east region of Nigeria.

They made their feelings known in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Enugu.

The residents, among whom are traders, artisans and legal practitioners, said their various means of livelihood were being drastically affected.

‘I’m managing to survive’
A trader at Ogbete Market, Jude Uwazurike, said his business was gradually decreasing by the day as a result of the frequent closure of the market.

He said: “I sell clothes (abada) at Ogbete Market and I can say without mincing words that I was doing well in my business before now.

“However, as I speak, I am just managing to survive because this issue of closing shop every Monday and sometimes they just order people to remain indoors for days is no longer a joke.”

He said that he used to travel to Aba, in Abia weekly to buy goods but lamented that he rarely traveled these days due to lack of sales.

“The truth is that after these lockdowns, people tend to be famished, tired and withdrawn for the rest of the days,” he said.

Mr Uwazurike appealed to the relevant authorities to do something by either releasing Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), or in the alternative, rejig the security apparatus in the region.

Nnena Okpo, a dealer in perishables at the Holy Ghost Market, said her business had almost collapsed due to sit-at-home.

Mrs Okpo said she was losing hope about the situation in the South-east, unless steps were urgently taken to change the situation.

“It is no longer funny, the whole thing looked like a joke when it started in 2021 but today you can count a number of businesses that are still standing strong.

“I deal with perishables. Apart from Monday’s sit-at-home order by IPOB, now someone stays in Finland and gave a directive for seven days lockdown, not minding what people go through,” she said.

She said it had been difficult to survive because of the perishable nature of the goods.

“I have to eat from the business and watch the rest perish. I see my goods, my money rotting, and there is nothing to do,” Mrs Okpo said.

Legal profession affected too
A lawyer, who did not want his name mentioned in the report, said that the lockdown in Enugu State and the entire South-east was taking a toll on the legal profession.

According to him, many people thought that it was only entrepreneurs that suffer the consequences of the sit-at-home.

“The truth is that, we in the legal field suffer it the more. Litigants also suffer as a result of postponement of cases.

“It may interest you to know that each time there is disruption of activities in the public space, it affects the courts too, even when some cases require urgent attention,” he said.

‘This is wickedness’
A bus driver, Emeka Agbo, decried the situation, describing the perennial sit-at-home orders as dangerous.

“We know that we are fighting a cause but I think some people are really going too far by impoverishing the people,” he said.

Declaring seven days sit-at-home was inviting hunger into his family, he said.

“I don’t have any other work doing than to drive from Obollo-Afor to Enugu and come back and the management pays me my little commission which I take to my wife and children.

“But denying me what to eat for seven days is nothing but wickedness,” Mr Agbo said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/609234-sit-at-home-enugu-residents-count-losses-say-we-cant-cope-anymore.html

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by gift2xl: 7:51am On Jul 12, 2023
Initially I thought they liked it from the beginning.

195 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by SmartPolician: 7:52am On Jul 12, 2023
People are struggling to get by in today's Nigeria because of widespread hardship and economic woes.

Yet, some SENSELESS kids come on Nairaland to hail Simon Ekpa for imposing sit at home across the SE while he goes about his normal business in Finland.

171 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by inoki247: 7:54am On Jul 12, 2023
Theyre still blaming Asari Dokubo and Ibadan Express way Ewedu Press ....

Nobody's suffering in Enugu is all enjoyment there economy is the best after Dubai they're not loosing anything na Ibadan Express way with dere usual Propoganda....

No wonder whenever dem tell some set of people to go back home na thread upon thread tears upon tears and start telling us they want to practice One Nigeria they turn to Unity beggars....

141 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by helinues: 7:54am On Jul 12, 2023
Losses during sit at home? undecided

I thought those who declared sit at home and those who are in support are going to donate funds to the affected people.

When Simeon Ekpa just declared another 2 weeks sit at home

170 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by NOC1(m): 7:59am On Jul 12, 2023
Una oga don announce 2weeks and he is sending palliative this time to cushion the effect.
Ndi mgbu, you guys were glamourizing it before, some of us tell u and una no hear. It is not by giving a monkey a cup, it is the strategy to retrieve the cup that is difficult

Deal with the monster.

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by MS247: 8:01am On Jul 12, 2023
cool

When they were donating to buy guns for touts and untrained civilians in the name of ESN we warned them

Peter Obi is silent
Abaribe is silent
Orji Uzor Kalu is silent

All Ibo Nairaland Keyboard warriors are silent

I watched the video of kids and their teachers getting flogged by the sit at home miscreants and how the kids told them they had exams.... This broke my heart ❤️

140 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Stillkrug: 8:01am On Jul 12, 2023
May amadioha strike simon ekpa

12 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by ratiani6: 8:02am On Jul 12, 2023
Una never tire

14 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by okeysoninv: 8:03am On Jul 12, 2023
Thunder fire those efulefu that is asking Government to release that criminal Nnamdi kanu. who will release those killed by Nnamdi kanu's words and boys. All of you that supports evil may evil never departs from you. may all your businesses crumble In Jesus name.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 12, 2023
Meanwhile, guy man is flexing...what type of messiah is this grin

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Chineloani(f): 8:04am On Jul 12, 2023
This is really annoying a News sha. But Why do I feel there is More to this SE security beyond the IPOB labelling by security agencies.

3 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Chineloani(f): 8:05am On Jul 12, 2023
Alagba, rest. This is a poorly done Photoshop. Go and learn well.

FacilitatorLekk:
Meanwhile, guy man is flexing...what type of messiah is this grin

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by omenka(m): 8:06am On Jul 12, 2023
Well, Anambra1stOaf says no such thing is happening on the East, that everything we see and hear online are mere propaganda against the good people of the East by their enemies.

Therefore, I do not believe anything written here. The residents of Enugu are enemies of Ndigbo to have said these things.

148 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by omenka(m): 8:08am On Jul 12, 2023
gift2xl:
Of course they did and majority of them contributed to fostering this anarchy through prompt payments of dues and levies imposed by the terror group.

Today, they're counting their loses.

I think they've learnt their lesson.

142 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 12, 2023
Chineloani:
Alagba, rest. This is a poorly done Photoshop. Go and learn well.

Whatever rocks your boat, keep following your messiah. It's free to crave enslavement grin

Your dear old Charly boy, shared this on his twitter, I bet he is wrong now that he is talking about your lord and savior grin

36 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by QuotaSystems: 8:09am On Jul 12, 2023
“However, as I speak, I am just managing to survive because this issue of closing shop every Monday and sometimes they just order people to remain indoors for days is no longer a joke.”

Buhari’s ear is already paining him and ‘Tilumbu’ cannot walk straight again. The zoo is feeling the heat.

Kanu is cumming.

145 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by PoliciaNLand: 8:09am On Jul 12, 2023
omenka:
Well, Anambra1stOaf says no such thing is happening on the East, that everything we see and hear online are mere propaganda against the good people of the East by their enemies.

Therefore, I do not believe anything written here. The residents of Enugu are enemies of Ndigbo to have said these things.
mynd44 lalasticlala Seun Dominique nlfpmod Mukina2
Rule 2

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by QuotaSystems: 8:13am On Jul 12, 2023
gift2xl:

They thought they were 'doing' Buhari/Yoruba/Hausa-Fulani.

https://twitter.com/layconpr/status/1677330209471700998?s=46&t=HxLIpPHOjsdGZSNpvrkwhA

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by MorataFC: 8:15am On Jul 12, 2023
helinues:
Losses during sit at home? undecided

I thought those who declared sit at home and those who are in support are going to donate funds to the affected people.

When Simeon Ekpa just declared another 2 weeks sit at home
hahaha
Since we are in season of breaking records, Guinness book of record should get themselves ready because bigger one is coming.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 12, 2023
A group of men that has the mindset to dehumanize primary school kids and their teachers is a simple a terrorist group,Simon Ekpa days of terrorizing the southeast is coming to an end,a man sits at the comfort of his home in Finland with all his family and makes himself available to be used in terrorizing his kinsmen and thinks he will escape judgement.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by MorataFC: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2023
Suffering and Smilling

3 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Sharpsharp00123: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2023
Proeast I thought u said they are sitting at home due to their free will

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Toosure70: 8:17am On Jul 12, 2023
I was expecting 1000hours sit at home -A - Thon

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by twilliamx(m): 8:18am On Jul 12, 2023
Words on a marble

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Sharpsharp00123: 8:19am On Jul 12, 2023
SmartPolician:
People are struggling to get by in today's Nigeria because of widespread hardship and economic woes.

Yet, some SENSELESS kids come on Nairaland to hail Simon Ekpa for imposing sit at home across the SE while he goes about his normal business in Finland.
people like proeast, Gidgiddy, 001Lagos wants us to believe igbos are doing this willingly

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Dynamicboss: 8:22am On Jul 12, 2023
SMH
Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by hansomb: 8:22am On Jul 12, 2023
Only the poor will suffer this. The rich ones will relocate to either Lagos or Abuja into the big hotels there for the next 1 month. I thought coronavirus lockdown is finished but seems there's another lockdown in the East. How can you use method that doesn't affect the federal government to protest? Businesses will crumble in the East. During this sallah period I knew of many Northerns that traveled to Onitsha to buy fabrics, cotton and many other things. Building materials, furniture materials are been brought to the North from the East. Northerners that import food there will have to be careful going there which will lead to scarcity and feminine/extremely proper maximum suffering and smiling. My only problem is the congestion this 1 month lockdown will cause in other non Eastern states, because any serious minded person will relocate out of Eastern part to when normalcy will be returned. Imagine giving just 2 days holiday. The enemy is not far away, it always within. Infact how did this Simon guy gain relevance? Even Nnamdi Kanu how did he get relevance? By using ethnic and religious bigotry and the so called knowledgeable fell for it. When Sunday Ighoho wanted to start similar madness, He was quickly quashed because federal government knows how important South West is to Nigeria. In South South dokubo and Tompolo are paid just to allow peace there. But south east are allowed to there faith ? WHY

23 Likes

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by RockHard: 8:29am On Jul 12, 2023
I don't believe this report. We Igbos are ready to sacrifice anything for Mazi Kanu's release. All our people need are palliatives (like Okpa, Akpu, Isi-Ewu, Nkwobi, Ofe nsala etc), to help them cope with the small hardship resulting from the sit-at-home. That's all. We are not complaining so therefore you Lagos-Ibadam expressway news people should mind your business. angry

137 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by Googledotcom: 8:29am On Jul 12, 2023
It's really sad to. Due to the fact that Kanu was illegally arrested, they should release him and find a lasting solution to this issue once and for all.
Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by hansomb: 8:36am On Jul 12, 2023
MS247:
cool

When they were donating to buy guns for touts and untrained civilians in the name of ESN we warned them

Peter Obi is silent
Abaribe is silent
Orji Uzor Kalu is silent

All Ibo Nairaland Keyboard warriors are silent

you forget that low cut woman , eh

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sit-At-Home: Enugu Residents Count Losses, Say ‘we Can’t Cope Anymore’ by QuotaSystems: 8:37am On Jul 12, 2023
Googledotcom:
It's really sad to. Due to the fact that Kanu was illegally arrested, they should release him and find a lasting solution to this issue once and for all.

Kanu won’t be released no matter the blackmail.

You are relying on miscarriage of justice to pretend Nnamdi Kanu is innocent.

He is already paying for his crimes and terrorism.

QuotaSystems:

The scores of innocent citizens murdered over the past 8 years.

The scores of security personnel killed.

The several high profile assasinations (Gulak, Akunyili et al.).

The extreme hate speech on Radio Biafra targeted at Hausa Fulani and Yoruba’s.

The deliberate, malicious and targeted hatred and propaganda aimed at the Fulani people.

The several attacks on Northerners living in the East and their property; trucks, merchandise etc.

The attack on several police stations, courts and other government property.

The IPOB jailbreak at Owerri Prison releasing hundreds of criminals into Igboland.

The orchestrated EndSARS attacks and destruction.

These are just some of the atrocities caused by Nnamdi Kanu and his IPOB/ESN henchmen, terrorists and propagandists and don’t bother denying any of them because some of us have been avid followers of this IPOB madness since before it started.

But let’s just play Ostrich.

107 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram ‘strapping Bombs To Birds’ / Babachir Lawal To Igbos: You Marginalised Yourselves, Stop Blaming Others / Rivers: Court Sacks 3 LP House Of Reps Candidates. Labour Party Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.