Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles (3877 Views)

What I Saw In Akwa Ibom Made Me Built N2.5bn Ekiti Gov House-fayemi / PDP Spent N2.5bn On Presidential Poll Adverts, APC N728m – Report / Anxiety Over Cracks On N2.5bn Jonathan Commissioned Flyover In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Ovularia: 12:34am On Oct 07, 2011
Reps to spend N2.5bn on committees vehicles
By John Ameh
Friday, 7 Oct 2011

Members of the House of Representatives on Thursday approved a decision to purchase new operational vehicles for the House committees.

The decision to buy the new vehicles was endorsed at a closed-door session presided over by the Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal.

The committee vehicles are different from the N7m car loan each of the 360 lawmakers got at the beginning of the current tenure on June 6.

The Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Zakari Mohammed, confirmed the decision of the House when he spoke with journalists shortly after the meeting rose.

“Operational vehicles are coming; they have been approved. But, how many or brand of the vehicles, that has not been decided.

“When we decide on the number or brand of vehicles, we shall adequately inform the public,” he said.

Mohammed added that the initial N7m was a loan given to members to buy personal cars, “as different from operational vehicles.”

“The loan is already being deducted at source; the whole value will be paid,” he stated.

He claimed that the explanation was to guard against any speculation that might portray the House as embarking on a spending spree or wasting public funds.

Findings by our correspondent indicated that the total loan for all 360 lawmakers was about N2.5bn.

There are 89 standing committees in the House.

Incidentally, the sixth House headed by the immediate Speaker, Mr. Dimeji Bankole, also spent N2.3bn to procure 380 operational vehicles for lawmakers in 2008.

The Peugeot 407 cars were supplied by Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Limited for N6.1m each.

The House had explained that the vehicles were National Assembly property and would be left behind at the expiration of the tenure last June.

However, the departing legislators later paid about N800,000 for each car and took them away.

The contract for the cars became a sore point in the House as some lawmakers later alleged that the transaction was inflated.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011100711301964
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by norrisman: 10:02am On Oct 07, 2011
Nice development.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by otokx(m): 10:07am On Oct 07, 2011
Looting continues
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by BabaEleko(m): 10:13am On Oct 07, 2011
God where is this country going cry cry cry cry cry I feel like crying.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by TBrownAuto(m): 10:22am On Oct 07, 2011
Same old story so bad we have poor minded people in our government all they know is loot, well they spend million to get the seat they need recover fast and starting calculating their profit , lol
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by hbrednic: 10:29am On Oct 07, 2011
the vogue now is N2.5b,
Fashola builds a cross-over with 2.5 billion
Reps to spend 2.5billion on committee vehicles.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by xanadu333: 10:30am On Oct 07, 2011
are they buying humer
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 07, 2011
this is where the fuel subsidy will end up sad
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by UceeGod: 10:43am On Oct 07, 2011
This senseless Govt's got no remedy to corruption.  God have mercy!!
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 07, 2011
2.5 billion divided by 360 equals N7 million. Pray, what kind of vehicles do they want to purchase with such amount?
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by baslone: 10:49am On Oct 07, 2011
At least i will benefit from Fashola's 2.5
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Gbenge77(m): 11:02am On Oct 07, 2011
When will the Nass get things right?Do they want to loot the treasury dry?
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Progreen: 11:07am On Oct 07, 2011
when the issue is about them they don't complain about subsidy, but anything in the interest of the public will bring up the issue of subsidy.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by coolluk(m): 11:23am On Oct 07, 2011

and this same fools want to remove fuel subsidies?
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by donenick(m): 11:56am On Oct 07, 2011
Democracy, must they demo and craze? i hate this name (democracy) i want military
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by fm7070: 12:19pm On Oct 07, 2011
this bunch of idiots will ruin Nigeria if we don't cry out.
2.5Bn!!! when masses is preparing to cry over fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 07, 2011
Am loosing interest in this entity called nigeria. I see all their actions as comedy these days.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Irk(m): 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2011
God oh!!!!!!, What is this? Pls I can't believe these bastards even have the alacrity to announce this 2 us. May Jarastafarai rip off their balls one by one!, Ole!!!
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Irk(m): 12:47pm On Oct 07, 2011
God oh!!!!!!, What is this? Pls I can't believe these bastards even have the alacrity to announce this 2 us. May Jarastafarai rip off their balls one by one!, Ole!!!
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by daphil: 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2011
I think Nigerian democracy is more expensive than military regime. undecided
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nickydrake(m): 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2011
I think Nigerian democracy is more expensive than military regime.

Reps to spend 2.5billion on committee vehicles.

When will the Nass get things right?

I feel like crying.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Soundmind(m): 2:43pm On Oct 07, 2011
i.t.t
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by talktrue1(m): 3:13pm On Oct 07, 2011
The Peugeot 407 cars were supplied by Peugeot Automobile Nigeria Limited for N6.1m each.

The House had explained that the vehicles were National Assembly property and would be left behind at the expiration of the tenure last June.

However, the departing legislators later paid about N800,000 for each car and took them away.

interesting
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by oladayo042: 3:25pm On Oct 07, 2011
Business as usual. People should save their breath cos the 8th National Assembly will still buy their own.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by 2mch(m): 3:40pm On Oct 07, 2011
Why do these people buy cars every term? There are some reps that were reelected, does this mean they will have 2 new cars? And by the way, when did it become to responsibility of Nigerians to buy casr for them? I am sure each rep has transportation allowance. They should use that. Nigerians should not be responsible for buying new cars for them. cry
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Ayowumie(m): 3:46pm On Oct 07, 2011
Every round of of legislature now buys operation vehicle. Why should they sell the ones the 6th Assembly bought? These guys are the problems of this country.
Ovularia:

Ovularia:

Ovularia link=topic=776593.msg9290541#msg9290541 date=1317944061:

Ovularia:

Look at the difference for God's sake. Every round of legislature in this country does that. This is corruption in high places and very soon they will be saying the country is in debt. We spend so much to maintain recklessness of so few a people

[quote author=2mch link=topic=776593.msg9294029#msg9294029 date=1317998453]
Why do these people buy cars every term? There are some reps that were reelected, does this mean they will have 2 new cars? And by the way, when did it become to responsibility of Nigerians to buy casr for them? I am sure each rep has transportation allowance. They should use that. Nigerians should not be responsible for buying new cars for them. cry
That is another sensible question fellow country man
[/quote]
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by PurestBoy(m): 4:58pm On Oct 07, 2011
God bless Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin[b][/b]
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2011
Nice one reps.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by rockstar99: 5:21pm On Oct 07, 2011
Firstly, I think there are two many committees;

Secondly the public announcement is probably to prevent "Bankole like investigations" at the end of the speakers tenure.
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by bossinie: 5:48pm On Oct 07, 2011
hbrednic:

the vogue now is N2.5b,
Reps  to  spend 2.5billion on committee vehicles.
Seems like it is now the 'safe-loot' limit,fast becoming a pattern. undecided
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by sunkoye: 6:20pm On Oct 07, 2011
must they buy cars from govt money  , is it that these pple are not mobile before they got elected?  embarassed why waste public money at every oppurtunity. this is very sad and worrisome! angry angry
Re: Reps To Spend N2.5bn On Committees Vehicles by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 07, 2011
oladayo042:

Business as usual. People should save their breath cos the 8th National Assembly will still buy their own.
Haha you funny sha.Naijans don suffer from these peeps;spending their money without comma.Bunch of useless people.btw,Senators sef no go buy their own ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Finally Deciphered / Opposition Cannot Spoon-Feed The Government - ACN / Why Is President Jonathan Overly Obsessed With His Fedora Hat (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.