Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,143 members, 7,852,898 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:04 AM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (38567 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 6:00pm On Jul 25, 2023
I hope this is sarcasm. You are now applying for what is in the prayer point of some...guy you wicked small...
ednut1:
grin Its not worth it. Stay back in Nigeria .

I japa to Canada 3 years ago sha, just applied for citizenship. With my Canadian passport i know my unborn children wont face all the uncertainties in Nigeria. I work for one of the top 3 biggest banks in the world with opportunities to work in the USA if i chose to which increases my salary by over by 25%. I still have the opportunity to come back to Nigeria to take up senior management positions, or to work in UAE, singapore and other better places

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 6:09pm On Jul 25, 2023
I clap for this statement
Shikena:
grin You want him to be enjoying his $3k a month until "Nigeria" happens to him abi? I call Nigeria the grandmaster of mirage where anything can change in a moment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by athaliya(f): 6:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Japa now that you can....... If you lose that job, you go hear nwi

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by IbeOkehie: 6:26pm On Jul 25, 2023
The OP is Likely one of the usual anti-Japa gang....most of whom have deleted their handles. grin Let's assume you're one of the 0.005% of Nigerian workers that earn $3K per month. cheesy

I'm loathe to comment, but I'll say just this - Nigeria is far more expensive to live than most developed countries for the SAME level of amenities. I actually measured this in real time for UK, India, USA and Italy, travelling to those countries in the same year and staying for many weeks each.

Everyone just go back and read all the JAPA threads since 2003 on this forum. They make for good rumination. Evaluate TRENDS and make your own conclusions. No one ever lost money betting against Nigeria. grin

Good Luck!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by cococandy(f): 6:28pm On Jul 25, 2023
Why y’all just lie without compunction?

No doctor or nurse earns $3k monthly in the USA. at the same time $3k is nothing. Which is it?

Rutherford2019:
My advice
I have lived in UK for 4yrs and currently in Texas with my family
Don't japa yet but be ready to japa
Only few people earn #3000 abroad
No nurse or Doctor earn that kind of money abroad unless it's an agency work
It will take you 5+yrs to settle abroad and you will be doing more of menial jobs, infact #3000 is nothing in UK or US

Save up about half of your salary in dollar and be ready to japa when you lose your job but so far you are in this your current position my guy enjoy it while it last
There's nothing abroad even oyibo people use to wonder why we are coming over there because it's not easy for them
NB don't invest the money in Nigeria just be saving up in dollars because you will need it later

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by abbiboy: 6:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

$3000!! so what are you looking for in the abroad that is not in nigeria? I'll advise u enjoy ursef... That salary can hlp u globetrot with easy.
There is nothing in the abroad.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MarketDispatch: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:

Thanks Lord Chiz. But I hear people suffer outside o boss.
Majority of the people that suffer are those without valid papers. This reduces or linits their chances of using their full potential.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by abbiboy: 6:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

Don't be deceive by healthcare whatever! That is Hollywood selling what doesn't exist in their society. Access to a doctor in UK is more challenging than Nigeria, nothing fantastic abt their health system is just black man mentality that anything white is superior. UK for easy is just naija promax. Your pay can hlp u access the best healthcare in naija than d primary health care u will be expose to in the abroad.
I repeat stay put in Nigeria!!

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 6:41pm On Jul 25, 2023
wHy not try finland or other schengen countries...
bdon12:

Its worth it.i personally have spent over 4 mil trying to japa wit my family bt canada don deny us visa twice therefore u giv up
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by whitemand4(m): 6:46pm On Jul 25, 2023
Fsboperator2:

Only if it's the US.

Canada and UK nah scam.

Germany is cool but there is the German work ethics and OCD that will drive you mad.

Avoid EU entirely because like Canada and UK, it's a tax plantation.

Australia and New Zealand are fcked beyond repair.

Thank me later

Please tell me more about Australia and New Zealand ?
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tosinhtml: 6:48pm On Jul 25, 2023
Gokoyer0:
Yes, it happened in Ibadan. Youkay worst!
My friend that studied in UK and later moved to Canada about 10 yrs ago is returning to Nigeria. To cut the story short, he is complaining about increase in interest rate on everything.

Let's hope Nigeria get a little better under Tinubu and we will see how people will be returning massively.

Many Nigerians doing care jobs in UK are earning 9.50pounds. how can person survive with the UK bills under that situation? How many hrs of work has to be done per day to survive when rent is 800pounds/month. Why are they all flooding SM to make video? It's all about side hustle grin

I pity those that sell thier houses in gbanjo to move to UK. let's forget shiny faces, it's not easy anywhere. Japa is good for strugglers though and no one should sell off their properties when they are close to 40 or above

Hmmm okay.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tosinhtml: 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2023
Klass99:

No sir, I am not wrong and neither are you. We both have different experiences with our healthcare system and we are speaking from those experiences.

Genuine condolences for the loss of your wife that must have been rough. Your negative experience at a Nigerian hospital does not invalidate what I said or my positive experience in some Nigerian hospitals.

Private sector enterprises are usually built by forward thinking folks with exposed minds, who have lived and schooled overseas for years, they return to replicate the systems they were exposed to and even improve on such systems in the Nigerian setting. While some are out to maximize profit they are also conscious about building world class organizations.

Nigerian medical system is actually really good and affordable if you compare it to the West. Not to mock the dead, but the person whom his wife died probably didn't choose a decent private hospital or went for general hospital instead. General hospital is for poor people (God forgive me).

In the UK, it is quite difficult to even get an appointment for basic things such as teeth fixing, NHS would have to confirm if it is am emergency or not. Also fixing your teeth can cost you upto 1000 pounds, or even more. Even with the so-called IHS free health care.

Nigeria medical services is too cheap and efficient for someone earning $3k.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
obataokenwa:
For a student is a no no. But for sponsorship visa, its fine

Yea no doubt... sponsorship sounds great
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ucheuzor1(m): 7:00pm On Jul 25, 2023
Honestly, I also find myself in similar situation. Similar salary to what you mentioned and currently working from home.

But I am supposed to relocate with time. I have been thinking about it as well honestly.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 7:00pm On Jul 25, 2023
Because they don't want people to make it like them. Some are genuine, but most are just impish.

A sister of my friend living in the UK told me that even as our people are complaining over there, money dey there...only those who don't want to help are the ones peddling falsehood. If we can even do that in home country, what of over there?

I don't know which one is better...not having work to do here in nigeria with biting economy or having work and paying your tax and living your life. What i just see is that most want to live extravagantly instead of being grateful.

ZINNYBANKS:
People in diaspora let's say over 90% of them always say NO to any Nigerian coming abroad.. something is fishy.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by XAUBulls: 7:03pm On Jul 25, 2023
tshtsh:
The word japa is vague. Or do people just leave Nigeria for the sake of it ? With $3,000 a month you can live comfortably in Nigeria but please don’t assume that money will keep coming as anything can happen. At the same time please don’t take your hard earned money and give any school for the mere sake of japa. I have nothing against schooling abroad because I also once attended an ancient British university to study computing but it was solely based on academic reasons at a highly rated university.

Fast forward to a few years later people now use study as a pathway to japa spending millions and attending lowly rates schools paying the amount of fees that even Anglo Saxons cannot afford. People have always moved abroad via study but not at this rate. Not everyone is doing great abroad and depending on how you go abroad the system can take much more than you’ll get out of it. There is a cost of living crises in many advanced economies right now and I also had my own share of challenges when I left Nigeria.

I applied to live in Canada via express entry while working as a software engineer shortly after covid. I was 30 and had a good income. It took about a year to get the PR approved but I later developed a cold feet towards moving abroad because it didn’t make sense to me to leave my job and take dollars to Canada. I opted to look for a remote/hybrid job in Canada and accepted one before moving. I landed a few days before the job start day and stayed at a friend’s house for two weeks , earned my first salary before moving to a temporary accommodation.
Renting a house was difficult because no landlord trusted me ( Color , lack of credit history, lack of job history in Canada and other factors ). I saw the good side and the bad side. Canadians were complaining about cost of living and house prices. Housing was a debate everywhere. I began to wonder why Nigerians sold their properties to come and start life in Canada. Most Canadians today cannot qualify for a mortgage hence if you own a house you should be a proud home owner and not dispose it easily to finance flight tickets , school fees and a few months of rental.
If you want to japa try and get a job that will finance your work permit and some of your initial costs. Alternatively apply for one of these tech immigration programs that won’t cost you too much.

For those that went to U.K. as students the will pay international student fees, annual health surcharge and will continue to wary about visa extension/ visa switching / immigration issues till they become ILR holders which will take anything from 7 to 10 years of uncertainty. As with anything in life there are pros and cons . Career opportunities in software engineering are more in U.K./Canada compared to Nigeria there are many other things we want and desire as individuals
Well said.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Klass99(f): 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2023

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by karkinase(m): 7:06pm On Jul 25, 2023
ucheuzor1:
Honestly, I also find myself in similar situation. Similar salary to what you mentioned and currently working from home.

But I am supposed to relocate with time. I have been thinking about it as well honestly.
What field if I may ask
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by XAUBulls: 7:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
ednut1:
grin Its not worth it. Stay back in Nigeria .

I japa to Canada 3 years ago sha, just applied for citizenship. With my Canadian passport i know my unborn children wont face all the uncertainties in Nigeria. I work for one of the top 3 biggest banks in the world with opportunities to work in the USA if i chose to which increases my salary by over by 25%. I still have the opportunity to come back to Nigeria to take up senior management positions, or to work in UAE, singapore and other better places
Indeed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 7:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
don't mind him...people are going in their 40s and you in your 30s is doubting...if you have the opportunity...move...
Sirchiboy:
Why bro.
I am in my thirties.
Can't it work
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tommy589(m): 7:15pm On Jul 25, 2023
IbeOkehie:
The OP is Likely one of the usual anti-Japa gang....most of whom have deleted their handles. grin Let's assume you're one of the 0.005% of Nigerian workers that earn $3K per month. cheesy

I'm loathe to comment, but I'll say just this - Nigeria is far more expensive to live than most developed countries for the SAME level of amenities. I actually measured this in real time for UK, India, USA and Italy, travelling to those countries in the same year and staying for many weeks each.

Everyone just go back and read all the JAPA threads since 2003 on this forum. They make interesting reading. Evaluate TRENDS and make your own conclusions. No one ever lost money betting against Nigeria. grin

Good Luck!

Not minding their rapid industrialisation and economic growth,an average Chinese,Indian still want to japa. Even in the next 20 years,is Nigeria going to be at the stage where those two countries are today?

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Babypal: 7:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I'm trying to learn UIUX designs, kindly support me with a laptop bro so as to achieve this..Thanks..could be an old laptop you've used
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Olafada(m): 7:33pm On Jul 25, 2023
Hello OP,
I have read your write up and in my humble opinion I advice you to stay back in 9ja if you actually earn $3000/month as you clearly stated. If you choose to relocate “japa” and like you said you are in the IT path it will take you some time to get job in that field at your arrival except if you have fantastic IT projects to your CV to show your potential employers. So if you are unable to secure a job in your field then you will have to switch to any other field and by that you may not have fulfillment and of course the bills will never stop coming. If you are lucky to get a job when you arrive your pay maybe get about 25% increase against what you earn now in 9ja. If your monthly expenses in 9ja is $1000 then you have a savings of $2000 monthly which may hardly be achieved when you japa. Another thing to consider is the fear of government policies that may not be favorable to you in the country you find yourself because you are considered a visitor at all time until you are able to secure citizenship documents. Then some measure of racist experience in you place of work is also inevitable and you will be taxed accordingly.
So with this points, you can do a good analysis before you make a decision

Bye

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
Maybe in the long term but all you have to do is learn AI jobs...AI can't create itself yet...machine learning is there...stay relevant...my opinion...and there are still bad ass tech that will come or parts of ai we are yet to see which coders/tech guys will do...
dreamxhaser:

Hey

What do you think about the tech Industry for someone who's just starting?

Do you think AI will replace tech guys?

I have asked this question a thousand times and anytime I see someone post something like that on Twitter, it sparks my anxiety.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tosinhtml: 7:45pm On Jul 25, 2023
Klass99:

Thank you for saying this. I don't know how we have arrived at constantly devaluing, dissing and looking down on all things Nigerian, when we in fact have it good, really good, in some areas and aspects of our nation.

It is because some people have only experienced one and not the other. All my life the hospitals in Nigeria have served me very well and also affordable. It’s ignorance that’s causing all this things.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by okewumi: 8:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
I am in abroad. If l see a job that will pay me that amount, l will travel back. All you need is to be travelling and have standby valid visa. If everything want to turn upside down, you move out of the country.

3k is alot and if a job can fetch u that amount in Nigeria @ 29. It means the future is bright. There are jobs that gives more than that in abroad but you must work ur ass.

SW Nigeria and PH is sweet if u have cash. I love african food and life style. The only problem is security and light. I know some estate for the past 10 yrs that always have light minimum of 20hrs in lagos because that is where most high government officials and politicians stay

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tosinhtml: 8:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
okewumi:
I am in abroad. If l see a job that will pay me that amount, l will travel back. All you need is to be travelling and have standby valid visa. If everything want to turn upside down, you move out of the country.

3k is alot and if a job can fetch u that amount in Nigeria @ 29. It means the future is bright. There are jobs that gives more than that in abroad but you must work ur ass.

SW Nigeria and PH is sweet if u have cash. I love african food and life style. The only problem is security and light. I know some estate for the past 10 yrs that always have light minimum of 20hrs in lagos because that is where most high government officials and politicians stay

What about foreign passport? Did you just travel because money alone. So if I give you a job of £3k now, you will leave and come back?! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MT: 8:19pm On Jul 25, 2023
XAUBulls:

Indeed.

grin grin

You spotted the "tale by moonlight" too ? grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Klass99(f): 8:20pm On Jul 25, 2023

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MT: 8:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
tosinhtml:

What about foreign passport? Did you just travel because money alone. So if I give you a job of £3k now, you will leave and come back?! cheesy

Nigerians overhype foreign passport - It is a means to an end, not the end itself.

Foreign passport does not give you job. It does not feed you. It is a traveling document, which also allow you to stay legally in that country.

Without good "value" or "skillset", foreign passport holders will be homeless, and go hungry.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Dijita: 8:28pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:

Thanks Tommy. I am 29. Any particular reason why in my 20s? Please every single information count.

I left Nigeria at 29. I was working for one of the top federal parastatals and making good money. I worked many odd jobs for the first six years of my arrival before getting professional job. Even then, I never regret my decision leaving the country. Many of my former colleagues are calling me for help today.

Remember technology makes it possible to be making money in dollar while you are in Nigeria. What happen if things change in the next 10 years and you no longer have such opportunity?

I will suggest you safe your money and follow the part for legal immigration and you will not regret it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by VULCAN(m): 8:46pm On Jul 25, 2023
You are earning more than most of your advisers here.

Most of your advisers here have never crossed Murtala Mohammed airport.

Eagles don't ask for advice from chickens.

Go online and find out how much those who do what you are doing abroad are earning.

Find out what quality of life they are living.

In Nigeria, if you are shot, no hospital will treat you without a police report. Many who earned more than you have died in same conditions.

If you are bleeding out and losing strength at the clinic, you will curse yourself for not leaving to a well run country.

Just the other day we heard how Nigerian planes fly with half of their tanks filled with water. That's because those charged with inspecting such planes shirk their duties.

Another thing, you think you are at the top of your game because of $3k because the average Nigerian has a poverty mindset. If you go abroad you will be forced to up your game and develop yourself to be great.

UK, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia and Canada will give you a job from Nigeria.

The starting salary of a Nurse in New Zealand is 45k NZ Dollars.

A nurse.

And they employ from Nigeria

The poorly informed people responding to you haven't even heard of skilled workers visa. They kept droning on about how you will leave the good thing you have for the unknown. Lol.

You will be here and receive a job offer 3 times what you are earning before you even apply for a visa.

I don talk my own

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

How is minimum wage calculated? / Nigerian Mum Who Lost Her Husband Is Now A Bricklayer WorkingTo Feed Her Kids / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.