Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,498 members, 7,847,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:13 AM

I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address (3750 Views)

Final Written Address: Atiku, PDP Chieftains Arrive PEPC (photos) / Atiku At Tribunal For His Final Written Address / Tinubu To Tribunal: Obi/LP's Petition, Final Written Address Is Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2023
I have gone through the LP written address and I am very impressed.

1. The argument against Tinubu and Shettima qualification were top notched. They were able to proof that Shettima was double nominated.

According to the address, Tinubu nominated Shettima on July 14th, 2022 but Shettima signed the INEC withdrawal notice in the 15th. Also, I love how they argued that SC ruling on PDP's case doesn't apply to their case.

2. I love how the LP team were able to use witness statements, international election monitoring reports, constitutional provisions and SC precedents to establish that INEC didn't follow it's published guidelines, thus in validating Tinubu's victory.

They quoted Faleke vs INEC, where the SC ruled that INEC guidelines are not mere regulations or notices, but subsidiary legislation which have the FULL BACKING IF THE LAW.

That is to say, INEC guidelines are not just guidelines, but a LAW.

3. LP argument on 25% requirement for FCT was solid. They started by mentioning that APC hinged their defense on the section 299 which states that FCT should be treated as a state.

First, the LP quoted a SC judgment that rules that "And" is a conjunction and mandatory, effectively destroying APC/ Tinubu/Shettima argument.

Also, they picked out the operator "accordingly" used in that section 299 to establish that FCT is only regarded as a state for the purpose of enjoying the executive, legislative and judicial powers of the president, NASS and FHC, respectively.

What impressed me most in the argument is how they used the 1979 constitution to establish that 25% is mandatory.

According to them, the 1979 Constitution started that a candidate needs to score the highest valid votes and get 25% in 2/3 of the states to be declared winner. It didn't mention any FCT, which was Lagos then.

But the constitution was amended in 1999 to include FCT. So by by adding that, the framers of the constitution made FCT mandatory, if not, they would have left it as it was in 1979.

LP lawyers are smart.

4. I'll update more as I continue to read the address

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by fullnetwork: 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

1. The argument against Tinubu and Shettima qualification were top notched. They were able to proof that Shettima was double nominated.

According to the address, Tinubu nominated Shettima on July 14th, 2022 but Shettima signed the INEC withdrawal notice in the 25th.

2. I love how the LP team were able to use witness statements, international election monitoring reports, constitutional provisions and SC precedents to establish that INEC didn't follow it's published guidelines, thus in validating Tinubu's victory.

They quoted Faleke vs INEC, where the SC ruled that INEC guidelines are not mere regulations or notices, but subsidiary legislation which have the FULL BACKING IF THE LAW.

3. I'll update this as I continue reading the addresses, but one thing is sure, Tinubu is going
Your conclusion is based hoping Nigeria is a normal society. You would be disappointed. Same way they brought him, same way they will keep him

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2023
I'm reading along too. I'm happy about the Forfeiture and the use of 'or'... ANY COURT...
This makes the issue of jurisdiction of civil Forfeiture in the US and not Nig invalid. Again they pointed out that, it has no time line of 10yds to be invalid as adduced by Wole dem.

So that Forfeiture in Chicago is a strong argument to disqualify Tinubu according to the constitution

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Newton2024: 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2023
If Nigeria was a sane country, do we need a year to know that INEC rigged the election? An election where the umpire is taking side should be outrightly cancelled.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Newton2024: 10:23pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

According to the address, Tinubu nominated Shettima on July 14th, 2022 but Shettima signed the INEC withdrawal notice in the 25th.

3. I'll update this as I continue reading the addresses, but one thing is sure, Tinubu is going

Philgafauto
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by wise0ne: 10:27pm On Jul 21, 2023
Peter Obi's Legal team are simply the best.
How can Inec issue a certified True Copy of EC8A form as the nonsense they uploaded on the Irev with over 18,000 blurred results?

INEC has got to be the most dumb umpire in the universe!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by duro4chang(m): 10:39pm On Jul 21, 2023
It is just a chasing of shadow. May we not labour in vain

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by kk2027: 10:44pm On Jul 21, 2023
Me too

#alleyesonthejudiciary#
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:44pm On Jul 21, 2023
Newton2024:

Philgafauto

Did they address the issue of the unappealed Federal High Court judgment that said that INEC has the discretion for mode of transmit/transfer of election results?

I have not read the written address up to that point, so please help a brother.

The preliminary arguments in that written address just put me off. I am a stickler for excellent prose and logical coherence in court filings.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:47pm On Jul 21, 2023
Akwamkpuruamu:
I'm reading along too. I'm happy about the Forfeiture and the use of 'or'... ANY COURT...
This makes the issue of jurisdiction of civil Forfeiture in the US and not Nig invalid. Again they pointed out that, it has no time line of 10yds to be invalid as adduced by Wole dem.

So that Forfeiture in Chicago is a strong argument to disqualify Tinubu according to the constitution

Did they talk about the non-registration of the US judgment in Nigeria as stipulated in the Registration of Judgment (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act?

I dey wait abeg.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:48pm On Jul 21, 2023
Person go just dey read Court documents like say dem dey pay person for review of documents.

See what how archaic laws and INEC has caused

2 Likes

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 10:48pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Did they address the issue of the unappealed Federal High Court judgment that said that INEC has the discretion for mode of transmit/transfer of election results?

The preliminary arguments in that written address just put me off. I am a stickler for excellent prose and logical coherence in court filings.
SC already ruled that INEC election manuals are not mere guidelines, BUT A SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION BACKED BY LAW.

Read LP address with open mind. Those guys are smart

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:49pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

SC already ruled that INEC election manuals are not mere guidelines, BUT A SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION BACKED BY LAW.

Read LP address with open mind. Those guys are smart

Ok, i go read am tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Newton2024: 10:50pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

I knew you were talking out of ignorance in the thread you created. I wonder how you read and digest over forty pages with few minutes of its release. Then I am very sure you have never taken your time to study who Obi is.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 10:50pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Did they talk about the non-registration of the US judgment in Nigeria as stipulated in the Registration of Judgment (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act?

I dey wait abeg.
You don't need to register a foreign judgment to use it as evidence. This only applies if you wish to enforce that judgment

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 10:52pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Ok, i go read am tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.
I am still reading the address. I am really impressed. I have updated the number 3 of my observations.

Check it, then read that section of the address to analyse LP argument of 25% requirement for Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:52pm On Jul 21, 2023
wise0ne:
Peter Obi's Legal team are simply the best.
How can Inec issue a certified True Copy of EC8A form as the nonsense they uploaded on the Irev with over 18,000 blurred results?

INEC are you he most dumb umpire in the universe

What happened to LP's copy of all the Form EC8As?

That is why we former Obidients were worried about the lack of LP polling agents in the almost 800k PUs across the length and breath of Nigeria.

I guess this is what APC and their minions meant when they said LP doesnt have "structure"?
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by JAMO84: 10:54pm On Jul 21, 2023
I thought I was going to see where they proved beyond reasonable doubt, that Obi got more valid votes than Tinubu.

Anyone that think the tribunal is going to cancel a 300 billion naira election, based on a 30 years old case that happened 30 thousand kilometers away, or based on a result viewing Portal that is not expressly mentioned either in the Constitution or the electoral act is a certified fool.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 10:54pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

What happened to LP's copy of the Form EC8A?

That is why we former Obidients were worried about the lack of LP polling agents in the almost 800k PUs across the length and breath of Nigeria.

I guess this is what APC and their minions meant when they said LP doesnt have "structure"?
800k PUs?

We have only about 178,000 nationwide.

1 Like

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:57pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

You don't need to register a foreign judgment to use it as evidence. This only applies if you wish to enforce that judgment

If you dont enforce it, how will it be recognised as a judgment in Nigeria?

Do you know the reason for that legislation? The reason is that there are some convictions that would not pass legal muster in a Nigerian Court but may pass in other jurisdictions due to prosecutorial misconduct, racism, nepotism and injustice.

Nigerian Courts have to go through foreign judgments with a fine toothcomb to ensure that our own courts can hand down those kind of judgments when they apply our laws to the facts of specific cases.

So, my brother, you have to register the judgment (which will first go through Nigerian legal proceedings in the form of an application before our court) for it to be acknowledged as extant and binding in 9ja.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:58pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

800k PUs?

We have only about 178,000 nationwide.

Ok, i just know say 7-something dey inside. That is why i said almost 800k.

Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by wise0ne: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Dude, take at least 4hours of your time to read this clasic, brilliant, astounding final address, and you will be ashamed of the 1st to 4th respondent

INEC has got to be the joke of the century.
It would have been better off if it were a jss 3 student that presided as the umpire of this election.

Just take your time to read it all.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2023
Newton2024:
I knew you were talking out of ignorance in the thread you created. I wonder how you read and digest over forty pages with few minutes of its release. Then I am very sure you have never taken your time to study who Obi is.

Taaaa, comot there. Without strong institutions rooted in the rule of law, Tinubu will chew and spit out Obi in any city in the world.

Tinubu no be Obi mate at all. Obi is a very soft and small man to Tinubu.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 11:00pm On Jul 21, 2023
wise0ne:

Dude, take at least 4hours of your time to read this clasic, brilliant, astounding final address, and you will be ashamed of the 1st to 4th respondent

INEC has got to be the joke of the century.
It would have been better off if it were a jss 3 student that presided as the umpire of this election.

Just take your time to read it all.

I will do that tomorrow or sunday. I need to reach the logical conclusion of this epic legal battle.
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 11:02pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

If you dont enforce it, how will it be recognised as a judgment in Nigeria?

Do you know the reason for that legislation? The reason is that there are some convictions that would not pass legal muster in a Nigerian Court but may pass in other jurisdictions due to prosecutorial misconduct, racism, nepotism and injustice.

Nigerian Courts have to go through foreign judgments with a fine toothcomb to ensure that our own courts can hand down those kind of judgments when they apply our laws to the facts of specific cases.

So, my brother, you have to register the judgment (which will first go through Nigerian legal proceedings in the form of an application before our court) for it to be acknowledged as extant and binding in 9ja.

Do you know Nigeria Legal System uses precedents in USA and UK to determine cases in Nigeria.

Nigeria Legal System 101

You don't need to register foreign judgments to use it as an evidence in a Nigerian court, especially, not those from the UK and US

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 11:04pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Taaaa, comot there. Without strong institutions rooted in the rule of law, Tinubu will chew and spit out Obi in any city in the world.

Tinubu no be Obi mate at all. Obi is a very soft and small man to Tinubu.
You don't know PO then.

APC underestimated him that is why they lost Lagos and Abuja

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 11:04pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

Do you know Nigeria Legal System uses precedents in USA and UK to determine cases in Nigeria.

Nigeria Legal System 101

You don't need to register foreign judgments to use it as an evidence in a Nigerian court, especially, not those from the UK and US

SMH. You are not talking to lay person ooo. I practice law for a living.

I wont argue with you on the registration issue. Let the courts make a determination on the issue.
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by wise0ne: 11:08pm On Jul 21, 2023
Absolutely right, PO lawyers are simply out of this world.
I love their calm, well calculated, overwhelming supreme court judgement based reply
OfficialAPCNig:

According to the address, Tinubu nominated Shettima on July 14th, 2022 but Shettima signed the INEC withdrawal notice in the 15th. Also, I love how they argued that SC ruling on PDP's case doesn't apply to their case.

3. LP argument on 25% requirement for FCT was solid. They started by mentioning that APC hinged their defense on the section 299 which states that FCT should be treated as a state.

First, the LP quoted a SC judgment that rules that "And" is a conjunction and mandatory, effectively destroying APC/ Tinubu/Shettima argument.

Also, they picked out the operator "accordingly" used in that section 299 to establish that FCT is only regarded as a state for the purpose of enjoying the executive, legislative and judicial powers of the president, NASS and FHC, respectively.

What impressed me most in the argument is how they used the 1979 constitution to establish that 25% is mandatory.

According to them, the 1979 Constitution started that a candidate needs to score the highest valid votes and get 25% in 2/3 of the states to be declared winner. It didn't mention any FCT, which was Lagos then.

But the constitution was amended in 1999 to include FCT. So by by adding that, the framers of the constitution made FCT mandatory, if not, they would have left it as it was in 1979.

LP lawyers are smart.

4. I'll update more as I continue to read the address

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 11:08pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

SMH. You are not talking to lay person ooo. I practice law for a living.

I wont argue with you on the registration issue. Let the courts make a determination on the issue.
You practice law for a living and you don't know we use foreign judgements to determine cases here?

Also, if what you said is right, Tinubu would have mentioned that in their case and the LP team would have responded.

Do you really expect LP to start responding to issues the respondents didn't mention in their addresses?

You can do better than that, Barrister

If Wole believes that LP didn't have a case because the judgment wasn't registered, he would have put that up in their defence.

But they didn't.

So the LP team doesn't have to raise that in their reply

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 11:09pm On Jul 21, 2023
wise0ne:
Absolutely right, PO lawyers are simply out of this world.
I love their calm, well calculated, overwhelming supreme court judgement based reply
Their use of SC precedents is impressive. I don't believe Tinubu will escape this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by Philgafauto: 11:14pm On Jul 21, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

You practice law for a living and you don't know we use foreign judgements to determine cases here?

Also, if what you said is right, Tinubu would have mentioned that in their case and the LP team would have responded.

Do you really expect LP to start responding to issues the respondents didn't mention in their addresses?

You can do better than that, Barrister

If Wole believes that LP didn't have a case because the judgment wasn't registered, he would have put that up in their defence.

But they didn't.

So the LP team doesn't have to raise that in their reply

Do you know the difference between "of persuasive authority and binding authority" ?

You sef. Abeg lemme ooo. I no fit dey teach you law for nairaland.
Re: I Am Impressed With The Quality Of Peter Obi Written Address by OfficialAPCNig: 11:21pm On Jul 21, 2023
Philgafauto:

Do you know the difference between "of persuasive value and binding authority" ?

You sef. Abeg lemme ooo. I no fit dey teach you law for nairaland.
You didn't address the issue.

Why should LP address an issue APC didn't raise in their address

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Better Name for Nigeria? / Voter Registration Towards 2007 Election In Nigeria / Fashola Please Fix Allen Avenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.